From The Stars (Private)

TRP

The wolf blinked, looking equally surprised. "You... you can understand me?" she asked, hesitantly. She looked at him for a moment, then her eyes grew even wider in sudden realisation. "And I you! Usually you ponies just make noises..." 

Xarame chuckled a little, making a healing poultice out of the strange herbs. "It is all the work of that bird; it allows understanding of any word" She explained, gently applying the poultice to the wolf's legs, and then digging out some bandages to wrap around them.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Arcus could do nothing but stare, still not quite believing that this was happening, right in front of him...

"... This means every timberwolf ever has had a voice, and I never got to hear it?..." He groaned, burying his face in his hooves in frustration.

"I'm an idiot..."

Xarame finished tying the bandages, and shook her head, looking at Arcus. 

"In a way, that is the case, but allow me to explain at a slower pace; every timberwolf's voice you did hear, but it's true meaning never met your ear," Xarame said, before gesturing to the bird, "Only thanks to our feathered friend, can you this wolf, comprehend."

The wolf looked at her, before talking slowly; "So... you are saying this bird allows me to understand you, and you to understand me?"

Xarame nodded. "Just so."

Raising his head from his hooves, Arcus turned to stare at the little bird, both in amazement and wistfulness.

"If only I'd met such a bird sooner..." He muttered, gripping his bow tightly with a hoof.

"The deaths that could've been stopped..."

Xarame smiled a strange smile; partly sad, partly amused...

"It is not good for one to dwell on the past," She said, putting a hoof on Arcus' shoulder, "Every step you take looking back, could well be your last."

She looked back down at the wolf, and smiled slightly more brightly. 

"So, do you have a name, our wounded lupine dame?" She asked, in a friendly tone. 

The wolf looked at her cautiously for a moment, before speaking. 

"Barenziah," She said, slowly.

Staring down at the lifeless bodies of the other two wolves he'd just killed, Arcus sighed, but looked back up at the touch of a hoof on his shoulder.

"... I guess you're right... " He slowly replied, nodding. Silently noting the wolf's name, he stood back up, trotting over to a nearby clearing. The others would see him draw a peculiar looking arrow, long, with dark red stripes marked onto it. Loading it, he aimed at the sky, his muscles straining as he pulled the bow's string as far back as it could go...

Xarame looked even more puzzled, and approached Arcus slowly, not straying to far from the still-immobilised Barenziah. 

"What was that you fired into the sky?" She asked, looking at where the arrow had disappeared, "Is it a signal, for somepony to spy?"

Barenziah's look hardened, and she nodded a little. 

"So, what do you intend to do with me?" She asked, levelly. They may have patched her up, but she was still a long way from trusting ponies...

"Well we cannot simply leave you here," Xarame said, looking at her bandaged legs, "You can not move and will become something's lunch, I fear."

Xarame looked down at Barenziah; she was fairly small for a timberwolf, obviously not yet fully grown. She kneeled down, and gently pulled her onto her back. 

"Hey, what are you doing?" Barenziah demanded, sounding a little wary, but not really complaining; she knew she'd be dead if they left her.

"It is our deeds that made you lame, so I would not feel right unless with us you came," Xarame said, making sure the timberwolf was secure on her back before standing up. She could carry her, but she wouldn't be able to run.

Arcus was fairly surprised as Xarame pulled Barenziah onto her back, but hey, he wasn't complaining...

"Well... I guess we get going now? We still have a castle to visit." He chuckled, looking back into the path.

They still had a ways to go...

Xarame smiled a little as Barenziah closed her eyes to rest, and the little yellow bird hopped back onto her shoulder. 

"Indeed; please, lead on," She said, looking at Arcus, "Hopefully we will be able to get there without further incidents."

"We're still a little ways off... But if we hurry, we can make it before it goes dark." Arcus nodded, turning and cautiously walking off into the direction of the castle.

"And seriously, we do not want to be here during night."

Arcus had walked briskly, the cool air whipping through his chocolate-brown mane. Well...

"... Here we are." He said, his words suddenly breaking the silence, as the came into view of the castle.

"Huh, looks... Creepier than last time, I guess." He wondered aloud, tilting his head in curiosity.

"... Rest, if that's even possible in this place..." Arcus replied with a shudder, still staring at the castle.

"Still, a place with walls is better than a place without..."

And so, he headed off towards the castle, motioning for Xarame to follow.

Who knows what things await inside?

Archived