From The Stars (Private)

TRP

Xarame looked at him thoughtfully. 

"You can tell her yourself, if you like," She offered, glancing at the timberwolf, "But you should know, the timberwolves you killed were her cousins, and the last of her pack. I do not believe she can easily return to the wild." 

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Xarame shrugged slightly. "I feel you should discus it with her, if we are to be travelling together." 

She headed back over to the fireplace, where Barenziah was still resting, and tapped her gently with her hoof, before gesturing to Arcus. As she did so, the little yellow bird hopped over to the timberwolf, and then she stood up, approaching Arcus cautiously. 

"You wish to speak with me?" Barenziah asked, warily. 

"... Yes." Arcus nodded, gently placing his bow down on the floor.

"Look, I just wanted to say... Sorry? I really don't want you to hate me, but I guess... " He added, as he paused...

"Well, I do probably deserve that, actually." He sighed, smiling a humorless smile...

"You killed my cousins, they were the only family I had left..." Barenziah said, sitting down, "...but they were not good family. The rest of my kin; those taken by the dark beast, those are the ones I mourn."

She looked away, sadly. 

"I cannot bring them back, but maybe I can help prevent more creatures suffering the same fate, and if I can, I shall."

She looked back at Arcus, sharply, "I will not pretend that I like you, but if you help me to do that, I think I may at least be able to forgive you."

Arcus turned to look back at her, sparks of determination adding to the fire in his radiant orange eyes.

"... Deal. For forgiveness..." He replied, his usual, semi-permanent smile crawling it's way back onto his face. Bending down to pick up his bow, he chuckled...

"If I die fighting this beast... Well, at least I died trying."

"I would prefer that you didn't." Barenziah said, seriously, "Make it die. Your martyring yourself helps none of us." 

Xarame had finished packing, doused the fire, and was ready to go, but she sat patiently, waiting for the other two to finish talking. 

"No, we don't..." Barenziah said, sadly, returning to Xarame. 

Sensing they were now ready to go, the zebra stood up, smiling slightly as the little yellow bird returned to her shoulder. 

"We should investigate the rest of the castle before we leave," She suggested, looking at Arcus, "I... believe the darkness may have originated here..."

• 2 weeks later...

"Indeed; every moment we waste risks another creature coming to harm," Xarame agreed, putting on her saddlebags, and heading back down the spiralling stairs. 

The castle didn't seem as intimidating in the light, but it also through the extent of the deterioration into sharp relief, and gave Xarame a slightly pained expression as she looked around.

"Has it really been so long?" She asked herself quietly, looking at a vast marble pillar, which had fallen and split, the engravings at it's base now just faded memories.  

"Well, she moves quickly." Arcus chuckled to himself, donning his own saddlebags, and following the zebra mare down the stairs.

Arriving at her, staring deeply at a pillar in thought, he trotted over.

"... Hey, you okay?"

Barenziah followed behind Arcus, her legs still a little stiff, and not able to move as quick as usual. 

Xarame looked around at Arcus in surprise, then slowly nodded, considering his words as she shook herself out of her own thoughts.

"Yes... I have been far worse," She finally replied, with a small smile. 

"I believe we should begin our search underground..." She then added, looking around. 

"Nor do I," Xarame admitted, heading off down another corridor, "But darkness revels there, so I fear our quest may involve us spending a bit of time there...."

She carried on until she reached another alcove, like the one that had led up to the tower, only this one had had it's secret door smashed to pieces, and the stairs led down...

Barenziah padded up to the opening and sniffed at it, before growling.

Arcus trotted off after her, still quite uneasy about the idea of going underground. But at least...

"Well, there's something we both have in common, then." He chuckled softly. At least he wasn't the only one who disliked the underground, right?

Coming in sight of a seemingly smashed open doorway, however, Arcus peered curiously at it...

"... So, is it safe to assume something way bad happened here?" He wondered out loud, before sighing at Xarame's growl, and reaching a hoof backwards to grab at his bow, letting it drop down in his grip, to his side.

"Yep, definitely, definitely something bad..."

Xarame looked around at the scattered and broken stones that had formed the door, and nodded. 

"That would be a fair assessment." She said, before kneeling down, and gently placing a hoof on Barenziah's head. "Why don't you stay up here, keep watch for us?" She suggested. 

The timberwolf tilted her head, not understanding her words. She seemed to get the idea though, and sat down beside the hole, looking up and down the corridor. 

"I do not think anything will be down there now, but would you go first?" Xarame asked, looking at Arcus, slightly embaressed. 

"Well, yeah!" Arcus replied, peering into the hole. Oh, boy, underground, huh? He really didn't like it down there, what with all the darkness and creepiness, but...

"We're called guards for a reason, after all." He chuckled, shifting his bow forward so that he could hold it more comfortably, then proceeding to lead forwards, and head down...

Down into the dark.

As they descended, Xarame produced a small bottle of purple liquid and took a sip, before offering it to Arcus. 

"It is my own recipe, helps to see in the dark," She explained, quietly.

"With only minimal side effects..." She added, as her eyes started to glow a bright yellow.

Staring at the bottle curiously, Arcus took it, before taking a careful sip...

Almost immediately, his orange eyes started to take on their own glow.

"Woah." He remarked, obviously impressed as he looked about the formerly dark passageway they were in, now being able to see clearly.

"So this is what those thestrals feel like..." He laughed, the sound echoing slightly in the confined space...

Xarame nodded silently, taking the bottle back and carefully storing it in her saddlebags as they carried on down the passage. 

After a few more minutes, the tunnel opened out into a chamber, roughly hewn out of the rocky foundations of the castle. The chamber was not as dark as the tunnel, lit by a dull glow from an ancient looking forge; it was clear from the condition of the rest of the room that nopony had used it for decades, centuries even, but still the forge smouldered in the darkness, filling the chamber with a dry heat. 

Most of the space was taken up by the mysterious forge, but there were also some broken and decrepit workbenches, an anvil, and various other blacksmithing apparatus, and in the corner, a jumbled pile of what looked like armour...

Archived