First day on the job (Sherlock/Cherry Bloom)

Lilia

Hearing her words, he blushed hard, he wanted to respond but couldn't think too clearly right at that moment. Not like he could have been given much of a chance though, before he could even recover from her words, the kiss. He couldn't remember the last time somepony kissed him, even counting his mother. He didn't speak, or rather he couldn't; all he could do was sit there stunned beyond rational thought. When he finally returned to Equestria he looked back at Cherry. "I-I... Miss Bloom... I don't... wh-why..." He was stumbling over his words, something that never happens to him. He turned around to face the bar and took a very deep breath, trying to regain his composure and speak clearly Turning back to Cherry, "Forgive me... Now Cherry... I'll just assume its the alcohol talking... or at least saying what's on your mind. But I don't think, you and I, would be a good idea. I... I'm not relationship material." His gaze returned to the bar and hung a little, memories that he wasn't very fond of returning. His next scotch arrived, he picked it up but didn't drink, just swirled it around. "... For the record though... you're not a silly filly. I would have never thought somepony so young would be like you; you drink scotch, you enjoy the old classic music, and you have no problem handling yourself in harsh environments and situations. Any colt that didn't bat an eye for you would be an idiot... Or... trying to keep you from getting hurt..." He sipped at his scotch, this time just drinking it as normal.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cherry smiled slowly and nodded, picking up her own scotch before glancing at Sherlock.  "It's all my dad...he gave me a sip of his scotch growing up...in his words: 'Cherry, there are some things that you're just going to have to accept.  Scotch is one of them.  The other is that I'm not going to be around for you much longer...and I want you to know that you've been the best daughter a stallion could ask for...even if you do knock around your sister's bullies.' Dean Appletini is the only music that helped when...when father finally passed..." She admitted, surprised that the alcohol had yet to fully impair her speech.  She took a sip of her scotch, wondering what he would do knowing the truth about her.

He looked at her then back to his drink, he didn't put a hoof on her shoulder or say he was sorry, he sat there for a moment then sighed. "My grandfather was the chief inspector here in Canterlot for about 30 years before this new one. When he retired... well was asked to retire, because of his failing health. My parents asked me to come here and help him out with his day to day things." He took a swig of his drink and grimmest at the burning sensation it left in his throat. "I learned everything I do now from him... especially my love of the Rat Pack. He knew them actually, saw them play in this very place once or twice I believe." Sherlock's face began to smile a little then faded, "The day he died, he told me that he couldn't be prouder of somepony than he was of me, for following in his hoofsteps. He left me with the skills I needed to make it in this world... plus this." He pulled his hat off and placed it on the bar.

Cherry listened to Sherlock intently, her heart breaking for him as he told of his past.  "Oh Sherlock...I'm so sorry..." She murmured, nuzzling his forehoof before getting an idea to try to cheer him up.  She carefully picked up his hat and grinned, putting it on.  She stood and trotted out to the stage, waiting to see if he'd follow her.  'Come on, Sherlock...leave the drink...come get your hat back...' she mentally pleaded, knowing he'd never hear that ever escape her.

He was about to say it was alright, but before he got the chance Cherry grabbed his prized fedora and took off with it. "Hey! Cherry..." He ran off after her, he knew she wouldn't do anything to his hat, she wasn't that kind of filly. But she wanted him to follow her so he played along, if for nothing else to figure out what. He loved a mystery after all.

Cherry grinned in victory as he followed her, leading him past the stage and closer to a doorway she had noticed when they entered.  She stopped, one wing opening as she used it to pivot and face him.  The dark was just deep enough to hide her as she refolded her wing and pulled the fedora over her eyes to obscure them.  "Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all Equestria, he walks into mine..." She said clearly, the mischief in her eyes hidden by the fedora.

She trotted out of his reach just before he could grab his fedora back, shaking her head.  "Uh-uh.  You're gonna have to outsmart me, Sherlock.  Good luck." She laughed, going back to where the crowd was in attempt to blend in.  Worst case scenario, she had to fly.  Best case, he caught her and was laughing before she had to resort to that tactic.

Sherlock glared but not out of anger, more playfulness. He saw her disappear into the crowd on the dance floor, he gave chase but as soon as he got his opportunity he disappeared into the crowd as well. He scanned the crowd and kept himself low, slowly he worked his way around to the other side of the audience. Tracking her down he worked his way through the crowd, his target in sight, coming within hoof's reach of her. "Oh Mr. Hooves, you were so wonderful!" A mare next to the two of them shouted out his name. He mentally facehoofed himself and groaned as his cover was blown.

Cherry inwardly cheered at the two mares intervention, gratefully using their distraction to go further into the crowd.  She finally reached a knot of mares standing near the edge and worked her way in.  "Oh, that Mister Hooves!  He's just ever so dreamy, right girls?" One gushed, leaving Cherry her opening.  "Oh, yes indeed.  He's everything a mare could ask for...but he's also got a hangeron of sorts...that pretty filly that was with him...did you see their kiss?  Clearly, she has a thing for him!" she said, making sure that her wings and cutie mark were outside of the grouping.  Her telltale red and pink mane was the only way they would be able to identify her, and at their distance, they might not have even seen that.

Upon hearing the comment the herd of mares gasped and advanced on the poor detective. Before he could realize what had happened he was near surrounded by them, all begging questions and making accusations. "You told me you weren't looking for anypony!" "Who is she Mr. Hooves? What kind of mare could steel you away?" He shuffled and tried to back himself away in the confusion. "Ladies please its not like that... Why would you even..." Then something clicked in his head and he grinned a little, "Clever, clever filly Cherry... You may be more cut out for this than I thought." He backed away from the crowd of mares apologizing to them and thought of how to find Cherry and get her back for this... Then a thought came and he nodded to himself. "How about another song as an apology?" They all smiled in agreement and he hopped back up on stage to the sound of cheering. He spoke to the band once more and grinned to himself. "A young filly who's a fan of Dean's shouldn't be able to resist this." The music started, a very Istallian (Italian if I was making that too vague xP) style song, he started slow. "A colt went back, to Napoli, because he missed the scenery. The native dances and the charming songs, but wait a minute, something's wrong.... Hey mambo, mambo Istalliono." He continued and scanned the crowd for Cherry, not finding her right away he moved to the next tactic and pulled the mic out of the stand and walked onto the dance floor, and started to dance with some of the mares that had assailed him earlier, only for a few moments before moving on.

Cherry watched as the mares assailed Sherlock, waiting as he backed away enough to begin laughing.  He went to the stage to sing and she froze.  If he sang, she'd be drawn to him.  She sighed, trotting into the corner and prepared to fly.  Just then, he started to sing.  She whimpered, her wings folding as she started to walk into the crowd.  When he walked onto the dance floor, she smiled.  Oh goodie, he would actually try to find her.  "Sherlock...clever, clever stallion..." She said softly, passing by him with a mare between them as she moved toward the other side of the dance floor.

Not failing to see Cherry as she walked through the crowd he grinned and did a quick turn getting behind her. He grabbed her shoulder and spun her to face him; looking to the stage he called out to the band, "Hey Jazz! Finish this one for me!" He tossed the mic to the band leader and turned his attention back to Cherry, "Quite resourceful Miss Bloom I have to admit you've got a lot of talent for this line of work." He chuckled at her and started to dance, not quite yet taking his hat back from her. "Distracting your mark, using the impulses of a crowd to cover an escape, very good. Keep this up and you'll probably be better at this than me." His scotch was getting to him a little, he could handle his hootch just fine normally. But this time he had slammed a couple of shots, its not something he normally does. He kept dancing with her, taking her hooves and doing his best to properly swing to the music. Sadly for Sherlock, his singing was better than his dancing. But he honestly didn't care, and neither did the crowd really, they knew him and his odd traits. "I will admit Cherry, I'm a bit of a dunce when it comes to... flirting, but I'm not totally clueless." He spun her out to the tip of his hoof then pulled her back, crossing his arms around her neck, "Its not the first time mares have tried to gain my affections." He started to blush bad and his words stuttered a little. "A-And the reason I haven't... Is.. well its because... nopony has ever impressed me... or made me feel comfortable enough..." He trailed off a bit and looked down. He sighed in frustration then looked back with determination in his eyes. "Cherry, no mare I've ever met has impressed me more than you... and I haven't felt this happy and relaxed in years... even the times I've been here by myself... I haven't been this happy... Thank you." He smiled at her and as the song ended he took hold of her shoulder and dipped her, still smiling just holding her for a moment.

Cherry blushed at the compliments to her skill, shaking her head to deny it.  She danced before him, letting his words sink in before she uttered a thing.  "Sherlock...I..." She began, just as the song ended and he dipped her.  Her torso was arched almost fully backward, her heart hammering clearly visible in the awkward pose.  Slowly, she began to rise back up, his hat having fallen off from the dip.  "I'm glad I impressed you, Sherlock...in fact, I'm glad that you decided to accept me...even when I don't really deserve it.  After all...I'm the filly they keep sending to the Troublemaker's Home...and I'm the filly that tries incredibly hard to not let anypony down...especially the stallion I like..." She said softly, her eyes shining as she spoke.  She kissed him again, letting it linger a moment before blushing and looking anywhere but at him.  Dang it, why'd she have to go and make a foal of herself twice in one day?

He blushed furiously at her kiss but still smiled when she broke it. Weather it was the scotch or not he was getting use to it and to her. "If I didn't think you didn't deserve it... I wouldn't have taken you. A lot of begging and determination isn't really enough to get me to choose something as important as an assistant." He leaned down and pick up his hat, "If you were any other pony, I probably would have said no." Placing his hat back on he looked back to Cherry, "And if I recall you used your history of being in and out of halfway homes as a reason I should take you on. So why should I factor in that now?" The band started up again, this time another slow jazz piece. "Now if anypony isn't deserving of something, its me. Halfway homes for troubled fillies is one thing, I've been brought before the princesses themselves for my digressions. Plus there are my habits, I can drive ponies away. I have had filly friends in the past... but I've driven them all away with some of my thoughtlessness." As the song progressed and the other ponies began dancing around them he held out a hoof bidding her to take it. "May I have this dance?"

Cherry laughed at the recollection of the day before.  Had it really only been a day?  She shook her head, taking his hoof to dance with him.  "As I recall, you told me no several times.  As for your filly friends that ran away...they weren't exactly kind to you then, were they?  I accept a degree of thoughtlessness in anypony, but honestly...it's not the deciding point as to why I'd ever leave.  You'd have to deliberately hurt one of my sisters to get me to leave you..." She explained softly,  a twinge of pain in her voice as the image of her sister Orange crossed her mind.  "You don't have to factor in my time in the halfway home, but you do need to consider that I'm far too stubborn to go away without being told to go explicitly..." She murmured, her head falling to his shoulder to dance in silence.

Still blushing at you, he sighed and slowly danced in time with the music... as best he could. "Who said I wanted you to go anywhere now?" He pulled himself away and swung her out by her hoofs. Then quickly pulling her back in close, "Cherry stay and be my new assistant... and... if you want..." He was stumbling over his words again, it drove him crazy. He was so articulate with everypony else, he could be intimidating or charming if he needed to be. But with her, he was stuttering.

Cherry was blushing as he spun her in close, his pause piquing her curiosity.  "If I want what, Sherlock...?  " She asked, genuinely confused at his hesitation.  She smiled reassuringly at him, hoping that he would finish his statement. ((sorry it's short! Brain decided to shut down...bedtime...work in the morning...))

He swallowed the lump in his throat, he wanted to say he was just afraid. But he couldn't shake the feelings, it was strange. This filly that he had known for less than a week, that impressed him so, and practically begged him to be his assistant; he didn't want to lose her. "If you want... " He still couldn't get it out, he was getting visibly angry with himself. He finally put his metaphoric hoof down and took hold Cherry by her cheek; determination flaring in his eyes he pulled her in and kissed her on her lips, letting it linger as she did. Finally breaking and taking a breath, "... want to see where this goes?"

Cherry was stunned.  Never, in her few short years, had she ever had anypony kiss her like Sherlock had.  She smiled slowly, words failing her for what had to have been the first time that evening.  She merely nodded, a pleased flush seeming to travel from the tip of her nose to the very end of her tail.  There was no doubt that her wings had decided to open on their own, the feeling of resistance against them the only clue to her that they had extended at all.  She laid her head on his shoulder, almost visibly relaxing against him.  It was good..."Mister Hooves...oh, how could you...?" One of the mares witnessing the event queried, a hurt look in her eyes as she stared at the pair.

He blushed furiously after breaking the kiss. His mind raced, he was terrified, worried, excited. He smiled warmly at her reaction, her smile was all he needed. Hearing the mare's protest he turned to her still smiling, "I'm sorry ma'am, but I didn't lie. I wasn't looking, she somehow managed to find me though." The mare pouted and gave an annoyed huff at the detective. At that moment he didn't care, he was happy, happier than he had been in a long time. Sherlock turned his attention back to Cherry and kept dancing, giving her a nuzzle and wrapping his neck around her own.

Sherlock's nuzzle had her lifting her head to smile at him again.  She kissed his cheek lightly as their necks twined together.  The song ended as Cherry was once again relaxing against him.  "Oh, Celestia...why is it something always happens when we're relaxed.." She mused, reluctantly untwining her neck from his.  "We should probably go before we start a riot....but we should finish our drinks first..." She whispered to Sherlock, noticing the dark looks of the mares and stallions around them.

"Agreed Cherry, besides the day is almost done and I'm sure you'll be needing to get home and rest." He walked back to the bar, paying the glares from the crowd no mind. Sherlock wasn't very skilled in the ways of relationships, that didn't mean fillies didn't throw themselves at his hooves. He was just never interested in any of them; he knew that more than a week with him and they'd be sick of him. Sherlock wasn't blind to the colts either, and who cold blame them, Cherry was very pretty, and she made it very clear that he was the only pony getting her attention tonight. They made their way back to the bar, where he slowly finished off his last scotch. "So even though we didn't get a case, not a bad first day eh Cherry?"

Cherry smiled a bit at the idea of going home.  She took the last sip of her scotch, chuckling a bit as she realized he didn't know where she lived, exactly.  "Not a bad day at all, Sherlock.  By the way...when you said home...did you mean to your home or to the little cloud I call home here in Equestria?" She asked, all seriousness.  She hated sleeping on clouds, no matter how soft and fluffy they were, she always ended up bucking them to pieces as she slept.  There was no clue as to why she did it....she just did...

He turned to Cherry a bit confused then came to a realization, he sighed. "You're not going to be staying with Lilia are you?" She shook her head, he saw the major problem here. She had no place to actually call home in the city and having her stay with him would be difficult. "Well we need to figure something out... I would offer but my apartment is only the one room..." He blushed at the thought of Cherry sleeping there, he had only just opened up to her less than 5 minuets ago. He thought for a little while longer and could only think of one practical solution. "Well okay... I guess you'll stay with me until we can find you your own place. You can have the bed and I'll use the couch... or desk... or floor." He chuckled a little, "Honestly I just sleep wherever I want sometimes."