First day on the job (Sherlock/Cherry Bloom)

Lilia

Cherry smiled slightly at Sherlock, a mix of feelings coming to her.  "Thank you for letting me stay with you...but you should have the bed...it's your home.  Let me have the couch...please?" She asked softly, her upbringing shining through her denial of what was sure to be the most comfortable place Sherlock had to offer.  "I don't want you to be put out because I couldn't think of a better place to be than on a cloud before flying here..." She added, hoping he would understand her request.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sherlock shook his head and smiled, "Not a chance, I was raised to be a gentlecolt... well when its needed... and I wont have you sleeping anywhere else." He grinned at Cherry and pulled a few bits out of his pocket to pay the tab. "Besides you've seen how I sleep, I haven't actually slept in that thing in a few days." He chuckled and started for the exit, he waved to someponys in the crowd and they did the same. There were a couple of huffs and disappointed glares from some of the mares.

Cherry chuckled at the recollection of how Sherlock slept.  He had a fair point...he certainly didn't seem to use the bed, even when it was availiable!  She smiled over her shoulder as they reached the exit, hearing the grumbling of several colts that had found her attentions to Sherlock to be less than pleasing.  "You were raised to be a gentlecolt?  Well then...I suppose you've figured my mother attempted to raise me to be a proper young filly?" She giggled, starting to feel the last of the scotch hit her.  She became very dizzy, nearly stumbling over her hooves as she trotted beside Sherlock.  "Mind if I...fly?  Much steadier up there..." She asked softly, catching herself before she faceplanted the ground.

Managing to catch her before she and the ground became good friends he chuckled at her and hoisted her up. "You sure you're good to fly like that? Here I have another idea." He lifted Cherry up and placed her along his back, allowing her arms to wrap around his neck. "There we are, now we wont have to risk you flying into something." He chuckled and started for home, outside it was already dusk and getting darker by the moment. Sherlock knew this area was bad even by his standards at night so he picked up the pace. "Well it was kind of obvious, the way your sister acts, and the fact that you've been to a halfway home for troubled fillies. Most parents don't do that unless they're trying to get their foals to behave in some manner." Finally arriving home, and luckily without incident, he set Cherry down and opened the door helping her up to his apartment. "Oh Mr. Hooves, its only her first day! What did you do to the poor filly?!" His land mare protested once she saw Cherry's state. Sherlock smiled sheepishly, "Nothing Miss Canter. It was all her choice I assure you. Besides I'm taking care of her as you can see." She eyed him then blinked in shock at his last words. His brow furrowed, "Not like that! Really git your mind out of the gutter nanny." He rolled his eyes at his land mare and started for the stairs.

Cherry squirmed a bit on Sherlock's back, her forehooves wrapping around his neck loosely in case she should fall.  She giggled at the idea of flying into something, the picture coming to her with clarity.  "I'm not a bad filly...I'm just...just...difficult." She mumbled, nuzzling Sherlock's neck for a moment before hearing Mrs. Canter.  "Sherlock takes good care of me...he protected me from the mean mares...and the silly colts..." She grinned, nuzzling Sherlock's neck again before kissing his cheek.  "Sherlock...they liked me for my plot..." She whispered into his ear, smiling.

Sherlock chuckled at Cherry, "Well why shouldn't they, but my advantage is I know what kind of filly is behind those looks." Miss Canter sighed and helped Sherlock carry Cherry up the stairs to his room, "I do hope I don't have to worry about her Mr. Hooves." Sherlock gave his land mare a deadpan stare and sighed. "Nothing to worry about nanny, I'll be on the couch tonight. By the way, Miss Bloom doesn't have a place to stay in town, so until she's on her hooves I've offered my room." Miss Canter nodded as she opened the door to Sherlock's apartment. "Very well Mr. Hooves, though keep in mind if she stays too long I'll have to raise your rent." Sherlock nodded to her and hauled Cherry in shutting the door behind him. "Alright Cherry, here you go."

Cherry beamed at Mrs. Canter, nodding.  "I think...that I'll take some time sooner or later and make myself a nice little cloud home here....several floors of clouds, just so I don't crash through on my first night." She mused, giving Mrs. Canter a friendly smile.  When the door closed behind them, Cherry slid off of Sherlock's back with a laugh.  "Poor Mrs. Canter...she has to deal with the two of us for a little while...though I didn't lie about setting up my own cloud home nearby...Probably do it some time when I can convince the clouds to cooperate and be fairly resilient to nightmares..." She giggled, rolling onto her hooves with a slight wobble to her.

Sherlock chuckled a little at Cherry as she wobbled off him, but hearing her comment about the nightmares made him stop. "You have nightmares Cherry?" He stepped closer to her to keep her on her hooves, "Would you mind if I asked what they were about? I just find it strange... you don't strike me as the type to be bothered by... well anything really." He started to guide her down the hall to his bedroom.

Cherry nodded solemnly, a flicker of sorrow in her eyes.  "I do...I dream of what my sister Orange keeps telling me in her letters...that her husband, Darkly Dare, was hitting her...and then I picture what he'd do to her for telling him that...that she's gonna be a mommy...I don't wanna see my big sister dead because she can't ask for help...can't accept the offers from her sisters, either..." She said softly, the tears falling before she could stop them.  Her loyalty to her siblings was the only thing that had kept her going for so long, the only thing that had kept her sane and energetic...until she found out about the abuse, she would never have guessed that her sister was unhappy.

Sherlock was a bit taken back, he knew it was a little bit of the alcohol but seeing Cherry crying like that... it broke his heart. "He... he strikes her?" A rage was building in Sherlock's eyes, he kept his mind calm but it wasn't easy. Even though his job was a detective, his talent and drive in life was to help anypony that needed it. He couldn't stand seeing somepony helpless like that. Calmly he took Cherry to the bed and helped her slip in. "Alright Cherry, have a good sleep... and if you do have a nightmare... I'm just down the hall." He walked out of the room and back into the main area of the apartment, instead of laying down on the couch he went to his desk and filing cabinet. "Hmmm Darkly Dare... Dare, Dare... Have I heard that name before?" Sifting through his files yielded nothing but he was sure that name came up at one point. He sat down at his desk and thought, "This needs to be dealt with... but how? Its not like I can just go over there and beat this colt within an inch of his life... Though that is a thought." He shook his head "Come on Sherlock think... this needs to be dealt with by the book..." He got an idea and smiled a little, "Or at least look like it was done by the book... No! I can't do that, I wont cross that line... but what to do... what. to. do?"

Cherry drifted as Sherlock helped her to bed, giving him a quick kiss before falling asleep.  She tossed and turned, the darkness of her dreams finally penetrating the rest she had been so desperate to achieve.  She witnessed as Orange was beaten, left bloody and bruised.  She tried desperately to go to the crying mare but found she was unable to move.  Then she felt it, that dread that always started right before...

CRASH!

She awoke screaming, the tears falling freely as she cried.  She tried to find the lamp, but couldn't.  Perhaps she had broken it as she dreamed.

His thoughts were broken at the sound of something crashing followed by Cherry's screams. Without hesitating Sherlock bolted down the hall practically kicking the door to the bedroom open. "CHERRY?!" He found the wall switch and flipped the overhead lights on, quickly scanning the room for anypony else, just in case. Finding nopony save for Cherry on the floor crying, Sherlock came to her side. "Cherry, its alright... don't worry..." Sherlock was confused, he had never seen this kind of situation before, but he knew that if he started to become distraught it would only make the situation worse. He took her and just held her in his arms, he didn't know much else what to do. But now he was more determined than ever to fix this. After a few moments, "Y-You alright Cherry?"

Cherry looked up as Sherlock burst into the room, trying to stop herself from crying.  When he held her, she cuddled against him and let all the fear go.  She slowly stopped crying, resting her head on his chest for a moment before answering his question.  "I..I think I'll be ok...Did...did I break the lamp?" She asked, nervous that her nightmares had caused any kind of destruction.  She nuzzled one of his hooves, feeling the smile spread despite her tears.  "Sherlock...thank you for coming to my aid..." She murmured, knowing that she wouldn't be going back to sleep again for several more nights.

Cherry smiled, nuzzling against Sherlock's chest.  "You could always stay til I fall asleep...though that could be a while..." She murmured, the sound of his heartbeat already starting to lead her back to sleep.  She peeked up at him and snuggled closer, enjoying his company after the nightmares that had woken her up.

Sherlock smiled and nodded, normally he wouldn't really think about this but she needed him and that was his talent in life. He was a protector and if she needed it he would do it. "Alright Cherry I can do that." He helped her up and returned her to the bed, he walked over to the other side and sat down next to her. "I don't mind waiting... I just want you to sleep well."

Cherry frowned at first when Sherlock settled in beside her, quickly getting an idea and smiling.  She once again rested her head on his chest, sighing happily.  "Your heartbeat is comforting...and...I like it..." She said softly, sleep trying once again to claim her.  She was fighting though, trying desperately to stay up with Sherlock.