Starfox64x x Neoniie RP

Starfox64x

Mirage followed the stallion at a trot, looking around at the other ponies who were seated in the restaurant. She noticed that it was rather busy for a newly opened place, but in a town as small as Dapple Dunes, even having something of this scale was a huge development. She didn't actually live in the town, but she did fly by rather regularly and had gotten a bit of a soft spot for the place. Even if it was part of the desert, which she wasn't a big fan of, the town itself was nice. The table that Vulpus indicated was a two-seater with a lovely view of the brilliant blue skies above the sandy terrain.

With a smile at the thought of the skies, Mirage answered, "Looks good to me!" She sat down quietly, staring out the window in a dreamy manner, nearly forgetting about her earth pony companion. As she realized that she was zoning out, the pegasus snapped herself back to attention. "Sorry about that, I got a bit distracted."

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Vulpus got nice and relaxed, taking a look at their menu. they had a surprising amount of variety for a place in the middle of nowhere. he noticed he was zoning out just as she was, "Oh, heh, it's okay... i kinda lost myself as well." he admitted, blushing a bit, "So, you dont like the desert much, so why do you live out here? Ponyville is a pretty nice place."

Mirage put down her menu, wanting to focus on the question at hand rather than having her attention divided. "At first, I was assigned here rather than choosing to live here. It wasn't all that long ago, actually, but I had been part of the Cloudsdale Weather Team for a while. When Appleloosa was settled and that Buffalo conflict dealt with, Cloudsdale designated some of the weatherponies to regulate weather for Appleloosa and the small settlements that cropped up around it. I had a talent for desert weather, so they figured I'd be good for the job."

"Unfortunately, I never really liked deserts. They're too arid and hot for my tastes. I like clouds better than sand. But, after meeting some of the ponies around here, I noticed that the residents themselves were really nice and welcoming. It became less about the area and more about the people. I feel a sort of loyalty to this place now, even though the desert isn't my favourite place." The pegasus realized how long she'd been talking for and quickly retrieved her menu. "What about you? Why do you travel?"

Vulpus listened quietly, nodding at her words. he could understand enjoying the presence of kind people, however he didn't have the luxury of being able to make friends so easily with his... condition. "Me? Well... I'll be honest... I havent found my cutie mark yet..." his head hung low, this was somethign that hurt him more than his missing leg ever could, "I did everything i felt that i could at home, and didn't get my cutie mark... so i went to the next town over where they had a lake and began trying new things there... i moved downriver and tried things there... and soon i kept traveling, trying new things in search of my special talent..."

A few ponies nearby overheard the conversation and glanced over, seeing that where his cutie mark shouidl have been, there were just two crescent shaped scars, one on each side. however they quickly began to stare at his leg, but Vulpus didnt notice...

The mare remembered Vulpus mentioning something along those lines when they had met earlier. "Well, that seems like a resonable idea." The pegasus wondered exactly what it was like to not know your purpose in life. She was in the middle group of classmates to earn a cutie mark, not particularly early or late on the spectrum. She tried not to lord it over anypony, but she couldn't help feeling a bit prideful at first. Either way, she did feel sympathetic toward the earth pony. "I'm sure you'll find your talent eventually," she declared.

"It must be fun to travel though. Visitng new places and seeing new things. I've only really travelled between certain points, so I didn't have much time for sighseeing." Mirage remembered her most recent full-length trip from Cloudsdale to Appleloosa as a very directed A-to-B flight. Noticing the stares of onlookers, she gave them a pointed look which caused most of them to look away rather sheepishly.

Vulpus nodded, not noticing her glare towards the others, "Yeah, it's nice... but i still can't help but feel like i'm missing something... even if the sceneries are nice and the people are great... i just end up feeling... unsatisfied, i suppose is the right word... I just dont got to bed feeling like i've got something with my life... does that make any sense?"

Mirage made a quite 'hmm' sound that was still audible across the table, despite its lack of volume. She supposed she had gotten her answer about what it would be like without a cutie mark. "Yeah," she answered. "I've felt like that sometimes." She wanted to elaborate, but it had been very few times that she had experienced that feeling, back when she was a foal or young filly. The pegasus didn't want to leave it a such a short reply, but the waitress arrived at their table with a notepad at the ready.

She rattled off a rehearsed greeting and awaited their orders with a smile. Mirage noticed her glancing toward Vulpus' prosthetic as well and she felt a strange annoyance bubble up. She quickly talked herself down, not wanting to allow her quick decision to cause a problem. "I'll just have some hay fries, thanks."

Vulpus looked a little confused at her order, "That's all? well... I want the number six and a big glass of Apple juice please." he was starving, and decided to get a BIG breakfast for himself so he wouldnt be hungry for most of the day. he didn't want any distractions during his day with Mirage.

Mirage noticed Vulpus' confusion and gave a small shrug. "I'm not really a breakfast pony, I suppose." She couldn't help but smile at his order though, as the ponies whom she had met usually ordered less food around company. It was a nice change to see somepony who didn't hold back. She glanced out the window again, a new ponit of conversation appearing in her mind. "So, any ideas about what we'll find in the Spidersilk Caves? I'm hoping that there aren't any actual spiders in there, especially not the one in stories. Hopefully, the map on that coin of yours will turn up something, too."

"Well, i'm sure there has to be something spooky up there." he explained, sharing his thoughts with her, "If there wasnt, many ponies wouldnt be intimidated by just stories... although it is somewhat out of the way and dangerous just being in the desert... But who knows? We'll find out soon enough i'm sure..." he couldnt help but imagine what sort of treasures they'd find... gold, jewels, ancient artifacts, magical items, he could only dream...

"Yeah," Mirage agreed, her excitement mounting for the coming events of the day. She begun making a little list of important things for their journey. It was completely against her tendancies, but the pegasus didn't want her usual lack of planning to result in some sort of danger for the both of them. Probably some torches, food for sure, that coin... She stared out at the surrounding buildings, wondering if a town as small as Dapple Dunes could have all the supplies they would need. She wasn't fond of the idea of travelling all the way back to Appleloosa. She'd already asked on of the native pegasi to deliver a message to her boss at the weather offices, so that they wouldn't mount search parties for Mirage when she was gone.

However, the arrival of their meals brought her attention toward food. The service was quick, especially due to the fact that it was opening day. "Thanks," she said to the waiter as he placed down their plates. With a nod, the waiter left, leaving Vulpus and Mirage to tuck into their breakfasts.

Vulpus found his mind wandering as well... although not in the exact way her's was. he was thinking about their adventure, but more about the 'him and her together' aspect of the adventure, rather than the supplies they need to bring. she seemed very sweet and kind... not to mention exciting! she didn't mind his leg and he couldn't help but feel... interested in her. he had a bit of a goofy grin on his face, imagining them like they were in a movie, making parilous jumps over chasms, outrunning giant rocks and discovering some ancient treasure together...

he was snapped out of his daze by the waiter when he brought him their food, "Oh, thank you." he said as he began to eye his food, "Mmm, looks delicious!"

"Yep," Mirage agreed enthusiastically, taking a pair of hay fries from the plate before her. She munched on them thoughtfully, allowing herself time to find the words to vocalize her internal list. "So, before we go, I suppose we'll need to get a few things. There's a general store near the edge of the town, so that's probably a good place to start." The mare was much more interested in thinking about the adventure than the preparations, though, so she also voiced another thought of hers. "Also, if there really are spider in those caverns, how are we going to deal with them? Apparently they're 4 shoulders tall and can fight like a Manticore." She paused. "Not that anyone's really fought a Manticore before, but you get the idea."

Vulpus listened quietly, considering her words, "Well. it might be best to focus on water and first aid... maybe a rope of some sort in case we need to climb up or down something... As for the spiders... I've fought a manticore once... i didn't 'win' per say... but i kept him at bay... So... As long as theres only one at a time we should be fine... and you could always fly to safety, so yo ushouldnt worry.

Mirage couldn't help but laugh at his quick recounting of his run-in with a manticore. "Now that's a story I'd like to hear sometime." She also considered his last words with a slightly more somber expression. Vulpus probably was more suseptible to being trapped in a dangerous situation, as he was an earth pony. Though, anypony who can hold off a mantincore for any amount of time could probably hadnle themselves just fine. Her wings beat just once, very quietly and quickly, more of a reflex than any concious decision. She took a few more of her hay fries, eager to get out into the new day.

Vulpus felt the light breeze of her wings flapping. it was a bit soothing to get a breeze in the warm room, "It wasn't all that impressive... I just kicked him a couple times to distract him while i ran for my life, hehe..." he laughed a little before going back to his food. he had much more to eat than she did, so he wanted to finish up quickly so she wouldnt have to wait for him.

"Even so," she said, conceeding his point. She left the sentence hanging, but her sentiment was clearly illustarted by her facial expression alone. This earth pony seemed to have quite a few interesting stories to tell. Miarge supposed that such a rich history was likely a side effect of a nomadic lifestyle, which didn't reduce her resolve to travel around Equestria someday. If only for a little while. Still busily munching on her hay fries, the pegasus didn't want to abadon their conversation, even if it would save them time in the long run. "So," she paused, searching for a topic. "You got any siblings back home?"

he frowned, shaking his head at her comment, "No, none... at least... none that i know of... it's been a long time since i left home... and i havent really been keeping in touch with them..." he felt guilty about the situation, but he felt that after so long he couldnt go back now... It had been too long and he wasnt sure if he could face his family again.

"Oh." Mirage was quiet for a moment, sensing that she had come across a rather uncomfortable topic for the stallion. Stupid impulsiveness, she thought, scolding her lack of forethought. She pawed at the wooden floor below, not sure how to follow that question. "Well, I'm an only child too." She immediately felt quite foalish for giving such an insensitive reply, but she honestly wasn't sure how to proceed. Her own parents had always had a pretty good relationship with their daughter, even through her older fillyhood years. Sitting in silence once more, she said, "It's not too late to start." A completely genuine smile followed; the pegasus hoping that she had said the right thing.

he sighed, "I know... but... okay, i dont know... I just... feel like it's been so long wince i left... i dont think i could go back to them now after all this time... I... didn't exactly say goodbye... i just kinda... left..." it was apparent he felt guilty for his actions, and now he didnt know how to fix them.

Once again, Mirage fell silent. She was still standing on shaky ground, so to speak. The pegasus had never been much of an advice giver and even so, such things as this were quite outside her knowledge. She pondered his dilema quietly, managing to finish her plate of hay fries in the interim. "Well...maybe you could write them letters." The idea had dawned on her in a flash and she was slightly surprised to see that she had spoken the idea aloud. "You know, update them on your travels or something. It could sort of ease you back into communication with them and it might be kind of fun to share you stories. After all, manticore fighting is something I'd want to hear about." She paused, considering adding something to her earlier words. "I'm no expert though," she said, giving a small, uncertain laugh.

Vulpus was about to knock down the idea, still feeling like it would be impossible to talk to his folks again... but he stopped himself, he realized she was earnestly trying to help him and wanted to make things better for him... he couldnt bring himself to knock it down like that, "Maybe i will... we'll see..." he gave her a little smile, hoping it would make her feel good about her own advice.

Mirage smiled, happy that her advice had been at least a tiny bit helpful to the stallion. In comparison to the events of his life, hers had been a cloudwalk. Even her rather extreme rebellious phase had caused few problems for her later in life. She couldn't just leave the earth pony feeling so sad about his own situation. Even her bit of advice had probably dredged up painful memories of the past. So, she pondered a topic that she could discuss with him that didn't involve such things. "So, have you ever pranked anypony before?" The pegasus felt slightly foolish asking, but she had been reminded of her childhood antic by their delve into Vulpus' past. She was curious if anypony had similar humour tatics to her younger self.

a small smile appeared on his face... he chuckled softly but didn't answer right away, "Eh... I've been known to... have some harmless fun every so often... nothing too bad though, i've never let it get out of hand... What about you?" he asked, still grinning mischievously.

Vulpus' smile only served to fuel her own. "Oh, Vulpus, you have no idea. I was infamous in Cloudsdale during my fillyhood as quite the experienced prankster. I was the bane of every teacher at Cloudsdale Flight School and I enjoyed every moment of it." She paused for some effect, but also to gather her own recollection of the events. "When I grew older, I of course found my talent and toned down the pranks, but I'm far from out of practice." She kept the grin wide on her muzzle, thinking back to the schoolyard antics which she had caused. Impulsiveness did give one a certain tendancy toward havoc, after all.