[Canterlot] Blind Date [Semi-Open]

vladspellbinder

Sam was thankfully oblivious to the current manner in which he and Stormsong were sitting and what it looked like. He was focused on the older mare across from him, falling back on 'casual conversation while taking tea'. It helped him not think about other things.

"Yes, of course. My own parents tried to make sure I learned a lot, but mostly though nannies and tutors. I rarely saw them in person, mostly at meals or... parties." He was about to say 'functions' but that would really tip his hoof. Once 'his secret' was out he found it harder to conceal. And especially while nervous, since it was easy to fall into those routines and habits forced upon him as a young colt.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stormsong pulled herself away from Sam and smacked a hoof to her forehead at his response, thinking that surely her mother was going to notice that something he had said didn't quite fit in with the way poorer ponies did things. Any moment now, she was sure that his secret would be out, or his status at least in question, and this whole idea of a nice, relaxing conversation while drinking tea would be ruined.

She waited, and waited, but Tarragon appeared to simply take this information in stride, the smile still stretched across her face as she watched the fire. "My parents tried the whole nanny and tutor thing, but it just never worked out; as a foal, I couldn't stand to be separated from them for long, and I've done my best to raise my own fillies just as well."

Sam gives a light nod and has another sip of his tea, calmed down now and relaxing ever so slightly from his rigid posture.

"They were always so busy with this or that, especially with my eldest brother. and sister, since they shared our parent's interests more so then I did. I'm really the odd one out in my family."

"Well, I guess you two fight right in with each other, don't you?" Tarragon commented, still having her head turned away. "Stormsong is the odd one out in our family; the first in generations on my side not to have a talent dealing with cooking."

Stormsong nodded in agreement, knowing exactly how odd she was; some of her more conservative family members even went so far as to refer to her as a 'black sheep', feeling that she wasn't truly part of the family without a talent for cooking. It wasn't that she couldn't cook - she was pretty good at that, since she'd been raised doing it - it was just that music was her true passion. After all, it was her belief that while a good meal could make one happy for as long as the taste lingered, a good song would reverberate in the hums and instruments of other musicians until the end of time.

Sam gives a light nod, not having much to say on the matter. Still ,it was indeed something else he shared with Stormsong. But, unlike him, it seems her family, at least her immediate one, didn't have a problem with her 'not fitting in' with the rest. His parents kept trying to get him to be more active in the affairs of nobles but he just, didn't, care.

he was at an impasse as to where to take the conversation now, so he stays quest again, sipping the tea.

The conversation lapsed into silence yet again, although this quiet had a far different quality to it, at least as far as Stormsong was concerned. Whereas their frequent failure to converse the previous day had felt awkward and sometimes even downright embarassing, this was more of a comfortable silence to her, and it helped her relax and enjoy her tea even more. It was this kind of quiet that often led her to venture down into Whitetail Wood, seeking inspiration for one of her many songs, or maybe even to perform some of them to herself.

Cutting their reverie short, Stormsong's father walked his way wearily up the stairs leading to the restaurant, paused, and rubbed his eyes, as if he didn't believe what he was seeing. When he came to his senses, he sat himself right between the musician and the doctor and tousled Storm's mane with a hoof, booming out in his powerful voice "Stormy! Oh, I'm so glad you're home safe and sound! And you must be her 'blind date', huh? I'm Thyme Leaf; it's a pleasure to meet ya!"

Sam shuffles to the side to give the other stallion room on the couch, politely sitting his cup down and waiting. He had a bit of a grin on his face from the sight, but quickly school his face to something more neutral when Thyme looked to him. He gives a light cough and a nod.

"Yes sir. Samguin sir, but I normally just by by 'Sam'. I apologize for the trouble caused last night, but I didn't have any contact information for your family until today... ."

He gives a nervous little swallow, making sure to keep control of his breathing and not panic. So far this Thyme Leaf fellow seemed to be an alright fun loving guy but those are often the most dangerous 'protective father of his daughter' types... .

Thyme chuckled a bit, amused by the show of respect that he was certain was only an attempt to impress him, and couldn't possibly be some hidden, high-class life seeping into his actions. "No need for the sirs, Sam! And no need tah apologize neither; ya did what ya could with what ya had, and that's all that matters tah any of us!"

Stormsong nodded in agreement, a smile on her face, trying to wordlesssly emphasize that this was the exact point that she attempted to express earlier in the day. Tarragon, on the other hoof, had something more akin to a smirk on her face as she nodded in agreement, almost as if she was planning something mischevious, or... or like she knew something nopony else in the room did. Afraid that she might begin asking questions about Sam's parents, the musician quickly tried to take charge of the conversation and direct it somewhere safe. "So, uh... um... oh, the restaurant we went to yesterday was very nice, and we both had a pretty good time... and we were thinking of, um... having another date... sometime..." At that point, her nerves got the better of her, and she looked at Sam for help, feeling that she had quite possible taken the conversation in completely the wrong direction.

Sam gives a light nod, just glad the older stallion wasn't making thinly veiled threats or, worse, being all touchy feely with him. At Stormsong little flounder he gives a light cough.

"Y-yes, it was a nice place for a meal. The poor waiter was working on his day off and did an admirable job of keeping up with all the orders on his own. As, as for our, our, um, second date we, uh, had planned on, um, well, me coming over for dinner here and, uh, meeting you and miss Tarragon. But, um, well, that seems to, uh, already be, um, happening... ."

Thyme gives a nod before picking himself back up off the couch, announcing "Well, sounds like a mighty fine employee to me. I'd stick around and char, but I've got to get back to helping out with the restaurant; and besides, sounds like we'll have the chance for that soon enough anyways. I'll be looking forward to it!" With one last smile, the older stallion left the room, leaving yet another silence in his wake.

Stormsong took the opportunity, seeing that Sam was obviously uncomfortable around her parents, and reasoned "Yeah, this wasn't supposed to be for a while, and he really was just seeing me home. Now that I'm home, I should probably get some work done too, and I don't think Sam would want to sit up here by himself and be all bored... would you, Sam?"

Grabs the opportunity to get out of here like a downing colt would grab an emergency floatation ring that just landed next to him.

"Yes, that's right. I should get back to work myself. I left in the middle of a shift and so will need to work the second half. Since our, um, next, um, meeting will be, ah, here and you, um, know my schedule Stormsong I-i'll let you get that sorted out and all. The best means of getting in contract with me would to leave a note at the hospital. I'm staying at the dorms on campus and the school is on the other side of the city so that'd be a rather long walk. it was nice meeting you miss Tarragon."

He gives the older mare another uneasy smile as he stands, politely sitting the saucer and, now empty, cup on the table as he does so.

Tarragon returns Sam's smile, not letting her concern and confusion about his nerves show on her face, nor in her voice when she replies "Well, okay then. It was nice to meet you, Sam, and I hope we get to see you again sooner rather than later. Goodbye for now, and have fun at work!"

Stormsong, relieved that he caught the opportunity to spare himself that she had bought him, acted as if nothing was out of the ordinary, simply respoding with "Awwww... okay. Thanks for walking me home, Sam, and for all you did for me yesterday. See you soon!"

He gives both mares a light nod and a wave of his hoof, calmly walking out of the house and down the street. He'd wait till he turned a corner before collapsing against a wall and starting to hyperventilate some. He gets a hold of his breathing and heart rate and just spends some time cooling off before heading back to work.

Despite, or perhaps because of, all that had happened within the last thirty hours he was actually looking forward to seeing Stormsong again. And this time he'd be mentally prepared to talk with her parents more. He thinks. Hopefully... .