Pony Practice - Taking Requests/Suggestions!

kishmet

Still practicing my pony style (by which I mean I have work to do, and I'm drawing ponies instead. Derp). Trying to figure out a name and a cutie mark for this kiddo... suggestions and concrit ever so welcome!

Original:

besnyx.png

Newest:

cuecn.png

Sketched then cleaned up in Illustrator.

You're a lot better at the body style than I am. @_@ I have a tendency to make the backs too long, among other things. I think the muzzle could stand to be chubbier though, and the ears a bit smaller. BrianBlackberry pointed me here, which was a big help.

As for the name, since she has a butterfly with her the coloring makes me think of the Blue Morpho butterfly. Morpho sounds like Morpheus, the Greek god of dreams. So from there... Azure Dream? Dreamy Blue? Or go off-rails into Blue Midnight or Midnight Blue? Would need to know a bit more about the personality for the cutie mark, but those are my name impressions. ^^

That's one of the best pony-drawing guides I've seen so far! o_o :) Thank you (and BrianBlackberry) for the link! I think you're absolutely right about the ears and the muzzle; for some reason I spend the most time on those, probably because I just don't have the style for 'em down yet.

Do you have an art thread, by the way? I want to take a look, if you do!(Edit: Never mind, you have the awesome art thread I've been following for the last couple days. *facehoof*) Y'know, about the whole drawing-the-back-too-long thing, that could be because real horses and ponies do have longer backs. It still weirds me out to squish the body circles so close together when I'm laying a pony out on paper.

Ooh, by the way, I love the name Azure Dream! In my head she's the baby of the family and hasn't had to do much work because of that, so she's turned into a creative, daydreamy type of filly. Mind if I use the name when/if I app for her?

Thanks for the advice, Skye! :D Been messing with the muzzle on a new pony, because albino ponies... are paper-colored. I'm so lazy. :D I think I like the surprised!portrait on the upper right best. Spook doesn't have his cutie mark yet, but it'll be a silicon atom because I'm a geek like that.

307uckg.gif

Gonna edit with an improved Azure pic later, too!

Better wings, thanks to StrawberryBlossom:

16awnyu.png

Hee, thanks, Strawberry!

Just watch the wings - FiM pegasi have three little secondary feathers and then four longer primary feathers. It can be hard getting the balance right on them - I've been fighting with wings myself.

You have awesome timing, because I was just poking at the wings when I read your message. Saved my life! (Or at least minutes more of fruitless fiddling.) It's so hard to get the shapes just right @_@

• 3 weeks later...