In The Love Nest... [CrimsonNova & PonyHooves]

Seaspray though about this idea, and she nodded. "I think that sounds like a good idea."

She followed Whisperpaw into the kitchen and watched him make the owl food. She smiled; her coltfriend clearly loved his owl dearly, and it was a beautiful sight. She nodded at his request and began up the stairs. She reached the spare room, and she tapped on the door with her horn. There was no reply. "Midnight Sun?"

There was still no answer, so she pushed the door open and poked her head in. "Midnight Sun, your cousin wa- " she stopped short as she saw the tiny foal sobbing. She rushed forwards and plopped her rump down beside the bed. Despite the rudeness of the foal earlier, Seaspray couldn't bring herself to leave her crying.

"Midnight Sun! Don't cry. I know it's difficult being in an unfamiliar place, especially away from home. Your cousin loves you dearly, no matter how much he may act otherwise; I know him. Would you like to go the library soon? Whisperpaw told me you love to read. Come on, little one, dry those eyes."

Seaspray knew that the foal was probably in shock right now, and as soon as she came round Midn'ght Sun would be cursing Seaspray to the moon, but the mare seized this opportunity and used her magic to lift a corner of the bedsheets, dabbing at the foals eyes. She had to at least try and get along with this foal.

"I d-don't kn-know why she, she sent m-me away!" The foal sobbed. "D-doesn't she l-love m-me anymore?"

Midnight Sun wasn't the type for opening up to others, but the stress of change forced out her true feelings. She felt lost and out of place. She felt as though she had been kicked out of her home because her mother no longer wished to know her. Midnight Sun wasn't the type of pony who could immediatly adjust to change. She needed some time to get used to her new home. But this one act of kindness allowed her to relieve her emotions that she had bottled up. The foal may have acted mean, but that was just her trying to put a brave face on the situation and a way of making her feelings.

Whisperpaw began to mke last minute preparations for the picnic. He carefully folded the picnic blanket with his mouth. After that, heplaced it in the picnic basket and closed the lid with his hoof. He wasn't good at magic. It only worked when he was helping out animals. But he didn't really mind. He was quite happy to do most things the earth pony way. He had a feeling that it would take some time to coax Midnight Sun out of the spare room and so it didn't bother him that Seaspray was taking quite a while upstairs.

Seaspray sighed. "Of course she loves you, you silly filly! Maybe she thinks you'll be better off with your cousin for a little while, or maybe she was trying to be kind and send you on a holiday! I know it's difficult, but you have to try and keep that chin up, and try and enjoy your time here."

Seaspray had a feeling that when they eventually went downstairs, the foal would more than likely revert to her old ways, but that didn't matter right now. She put a hoof under the foal's chin and lifted it gently. "So, what do you say? Do you want to come pick a book or two from the library. I've heard it's a magnificent building, among other things."

She smiled at Midnight Sun and got up, walking to the door. She motioned for the foal to follow, and exited, waiting outside the bedroom door for a few minutes, while the foal made her choice and composed herself.

Midnight Sun stood up. She let out a gentle sigh before using her magic to lift the pillow back onto the bed. 'Maybe a book on astronomy will make it all go away...' She thought to her self as she made her way to the door. Midnight Sun exited the room she tried to use her magic to close the door. However, she was unable to do that spell. Instead the door seemed to shudder. After a few moments, the foal lowered her head. She needed more practice doing that trick. After a few moments, she tried again to use magic in order to close the door. The door continued to shudder, but it wouldn't close.

"Ugh... This is hard. I can close curtains, but not a door!" She mumbled under her breath as she gave in and used her mouth to close the door.

Seaspray nodded as she saw Midnight Sun come out of the room. "Your cousin will be pleased." she smiled and began to lead the way downstairs, to where her beloved was waiting.

She walked to Whisperpaw and smiled reassuringly at him, her eyes widening as she laid eyes upon the basket. "My, aren't you prepared!" she giggled and nuzzled him gently.

"Midnight Sun has agreed to go and visit the library. Haven't you?" Seaspray turned to the foal and smiled, a little wary of her reaction.

Whisperpaw blushed slightly as he was complimented by Seaspray. He looked into her eyes and smiled. The stallion felt lucky to have Seaspray as his filly friend. He returned the gently nuzzle back to the mare. He then looked at Midnight Sun, unsure of what she was about to say.

Midnight Sun stared at the picnic basket. She then gave a suspicious look in the direction of Whisperpaw and Seaspray. The foal began to frown. This must have been some sort of trick. 'What kind of pony takes a picnic basket to a library?' She thought to her self.

"If we're going to the library, then why is there a picnic basket beside you?" She asked.

"Well, after you've picked out a book, we're all going on a picnic." Whisperpaw replied.

"I knew this was going to be some sort of trap. Trying to make me like animals, are you? Well, I've got news for you. I don't do animals!" The foal spoke in a highly suspicious tone.

Seaspray sighed inwardly. She knew this was going to happen, but she stood her ground, yet again. "Midnight Sun, nopony said anything about animals. Wouldn't it be nice to read your book in the sunshine and fresh air?"

She looked pleadingly to the foal. "Whisperpaw is trying to make you feel as comfortable as he can. Don't you think that you could at least humour him? It's such a nice idea."

She glanced back to Whisperpaw and shrugged. Then something popped into her head. She wasn't one to usually use such a tactic.. but..

"Well, alright then.. If you don't want to go get a book and have the picnic, I guess we could leave you here, and you could mind Epistola and Domino while your cousin and I go out."

"Me? Take care of that bird brain and that allergen filled puff ball! I'd rather get stuck in quick sand on rainy day than take care of those things." Midnight Sun replied sounding both shocked and disgusted at the thought of taking care of two animals. The foal continued to glare at the pair of ponies who stood before her. However, her glare softened slightly making her look more grumpy than hateful.

"Then you're coming with us on a picnic. Let's get you a nice big book to read." Whisperpaw replied with a small smile. He knew that trick Seaspray used. The stallion understood that it was the only way to get that foal to cooperate with them. He snuggled up beside his filly friend. It was his silent way of thanking her for helping to get Midnight Sun to behave. After that he picked yp the picnic basket with his mouth, much to his cousin's disgust.

"Picking it up with your mouth! That's just vile. Haven't you learned how to use your horn? Sheesh! If you want something done right,then you have to do it your self." The tiny foal scolded Whisperpaw for using his mouth. She then used magic to levitate the picnic basket onto Whisperpaw's back. The foal saw some string in the corner of the room. Midnight Sun then used the string to tie the picnic basket to Whisperpaw's body.

"Why you insist on using your magic for everything, I'll never understand." Whisperpaw sighed. After that odd event, the stallion made his way to the front door. He opened the door with his mouth. The stallion held the door open for Seaspray. But it was his cousin who raced out of the door first in a childish manner.

Seaspray smiled a little as her trick worked, and she felt Whisperpaw snuggle close to her. She tried to resist laughing at the pair, as she found Whisperpaw's use of magic - or lack of- rather endearing. She liked his way of getting things done.

She went through the door after Midnight Sun and smiled to Whisperpaw as she passed him. She sighed happily as the sunlight shone on her, and she waited for the stallion catch up. When he trotted up to her, she kissed him on his nose. "It must be so amazing living here. It's all just so beautiful."

Her smile was dampened a little, as she saw her perfect stallion gazing ahead at the foal. "She'll adjust with time. Let her sleep on it, perhaps she'll be better in the morning. I can stay as long as you need me to, to help, if it's necessary." Seaspray blushed a little and then continued. "I love you, and want to help you with this, if you want me."

Whisperpaw felt the gentle kiss of a beautiful mare, touch his nose. It was clear in thetone of her voice how much she cared. All she did was give. Whisperpaw respected her for her kindness and willingness to help him. It didn't matter what the issue was. Seaspray was always there.

"Of course I want you... You're the most wonderful mare I have ever met. There is so much love in your heart and you willingly give it away. I love you more than the sound of a wolf cry to the moon." Whisperpaw replied before kissing Seaspray on the cheek. "And I always will..."

The foal pretended to gag at the pair. She just wished that they'd say all of that mushy stuff somewhere else. Of course, Midnight Sun didn't want to intrude on their talks about loving each other. She didn't fully understand the love that two adults shared. She only understood the love that was shared between mother and foal. To avoid being able to hear them talking, she began to walk at a faster pace. Occassionally, the foal would stop to let them catch up to her.

Seaspray smiled and blushed a little. Her nerves from earlier had dissipated and she was now completely at ease. Her head felt normal again, and she was relaxed in every way.

They walked in silence, and Seaspray basked in the sun and the sound of the animals and birds all around, and the sound of their hooves on the ground. She moved closer to the stallion and walked as close beside him as possible, without tripping him or bumping into him. It was such a nice idea to have a picnic.

"What is it that you do for a living again?" She had spoken to soon - her head twinged again and she winced, as always, when she forgot something. She was sure that Whisperpaw had told her what he did to get by, but she couldn't quite remember.

"I'm a wildlife conservationist." He informed her as a blue bird flew close to the couple and began to whistle a charming little tune. Whisperpaw chuckled softly as e had seen this bird many times before. He knew it as one of the most melodic birds in Solstice Heights. The stallion looked at his filly friend and smiled. "I think my bird friend wants to seranade us with her little bird song."

Midnight Sun snorted heavily under her breath so that the dust on the ground became unsettled. The last thing she needed was some silly little bird chirping near her. However, she wasn't in the mood for arguing anymore. The foal only desired to read about astronomy. She sighed deeply and continued to walk. Just then a black and white puppy jumped onto her and began to lick her face. "Oh for the love of... Get off me, you silly puppy!" She snapped harshly. The puppy quickly got off her and whined while its tail went inbetween its legs.

"She's only a puppy, Midnight Sun. She's probably escaped from her home and got a little bit lost. Don't shout at her for being happy to see somepony." Whisperpaw spoke up. He gently gestured for the puppy to come closer. The puppy slowly approached him and sniffed him. "Whoever owns her must have forgotten to get her a dog collar. Or she could be a stray."

"Oh... I can see where this is going!" Midnight Sun sighed. Whisperpaw seemed so predictable. "Your job is wildlife... Not pets." She tried to persuade Whisperpaw to let it go for a change and leave the puppy to fend for her self.

Seaspray nodded, and cooed a little as she saw the little bird. "She's sweet! You're very lucky to have such a satisfying job."

Seaspray's eyes narrowed as she watched Midnight Sun snap at the young dog, and she resisted the urge to scold the foal. She hated seeing any animal sad, but it had dawned on her how much Midnight Sun was out of place here in Solstice Heights. She made a mental note (even though she knew she would more than likely forget) to talk to the foal about it later, out of the sight of her coltfriend's watchful eye.

She was determined to help both Whisperpaw and his cousin adapt to this new lifestyle, even if this meant getting an earful of hurtful insults from the young filly.

"I hate to admit it... But, she's right. My job isn't to help out lost pets." Whisperpaw sighed softly. He wasn't used to his cousing stating a true fact and putting him in his place. Usually, she just couldn't find a way to correct him in his own line of work. The stallion wasn't taking it to heart though. After all, she was only a foal who could state a few correct facts. He knew more about Solstice Heights that the little city foal who wasn't too fond of animals or so it seemed.

Midnight Sun smiled. She felt so good to be right about adult pony jobs. She dusted her self off as she savoured the moment. Just then the puppy strolled up to her and began to nudge her. "What do you want from me?" She asked, sounding annoyed by the communication efforts of the animal. The puppy ran off into the bushes and returned with a stick. "What am I supposed to do with a stick?" The foal asked, sounding confused.

"She wants you to play. Its called fetch. You throw the stick and she runs of to get it. Then the puppy will bring the stick back to you for you to throw it again." The stallion explained.

"I guess I can do that... But no more puppy drewl!" Midnight Sun replied, sounding cautious.

Seaspray couldn't help but smile at the foal as she agreed to play fetch with the puppy. She turned to say something to Whisperpaw, but got distracted when she saw a building up ahead.

"Hey, is that it? The library?"

Seaspray had always loved the quiet of libraries, but she didn't usually have the time to read much. She enjoyed the atmosphere of the buildings, and she always took the opportunity to visit one whenever she was in any town, but this time, she couldn't wait til the picnic; she couldn't wait to curl up beside her coltfriend in this beautiful place. She looked ahead to Midnight Sun, hoping the foal wouldn't take too long in the library.

Midnight Sun used her magic to throw the stick for the puppy. At first, she thought that fetch was a pointless game for the simple minded puppy. But after a while, she began to enjoy playing Fetch. She enjoyed it so much, that the foal didn't even notice the library in front of her.

"Yes, that's the library." Whisperpaw replied. He looked over to Midnight Sun and saw that she was too busy playing to see the building, Whisperpaw smiled as he turned back to Seaspray. The stallion nuzzled her gently.

When the puppy became tired out and started to pant heavily, the foal stopped throwing the stick. She looked ahead of her and saw the library. "We're here!" She spoke in an excited tone. "See you later puppy... I've got to find a good book or two... Or three... Or four...." Midnight Sun ruffled the fur on the puppy's head with her hoof. She then ran up to the building.

Seaspray planted a little kiss on Whisperpaw's nose and laughed softly as she watched Midnight Sun play with the puppy. She was beginning to realise that there was another different side to the young foal.

She laughed once more as the foal ran up to the building, and she followed after her, gasping in wonder at the beauty of the building. She dropped her voice as they entered.

"Do you come here a lot, Whisperpaw?"

Whisperpaw smiled as he felt a kiss gently touch the tip of his nose. He shifted Seaspray's mane out of his eyes. He wanted to look at them once more. The stallion gazed into her eyes, before kissing her every so gently on her nose. Whisperpaw loved her so very much. She was such a beautiful mare. The stallion had noticed that the puppy was waiting outside of the library on the old stone steps. He knew that the puppy wasn't waiting for him or Seaspray. She was waiting for Midnight Sun. Perhaps Midnight Sun could take care of this puppy while Whisperpaw made posters to announce that they had found a lost pup.

When they entered the building, Whisperpaw heard his dear filly friend ask him about how often he visited the library. "I come in here to get books when I know there's a storm on the way. Epistola likes to hear me reading to him. It keeps him calm and it keeps me calm too." He replied in a hushed tone.

Midnight Sun felt at ease in the library. But now she had met that beautiful puppy, she wanted to know more about dogs. She scowered the shelves and ued magic to bring a few books down. In the end, the foal had picked out five books that she desired to read. The books were titled 'Astronamy - Birth of the stars', 'Tips on dog ownership', 'Magic lessons - Opening different objects', 'A history of Magic' and 'Dog breeds 101'.

The foal levitated the books back to where she had left the happy couple. She looked up at the pair and whispered. "I've found the books I want to read."

"That's sweet. It's often said that owners have a special bond with their pets." Seaspray murmured softly to Whisperpaw.

Seaspray was itching to have a little look around, but she wanted to stay beside Whisperpaw more. She sat, rubbing her horn against his affectionately. She loved this stallion so much, even if she couldn't always show it.

She looked up again as Midnight Sun rejoined them, and quickly pulled her head away from Whisperpaw's; she didn't want to annoy the foal. Wait, what was she thinking? She was the adult!

Seaspray glanced at the book titles. "Oh, a few books on dogs. From what I saw earlier, you didn't seem all that interested in animals, Midnight Sun," the sea-blue mare whispered.

"I'm interested in books though. Books only need to be read and do not produce allergens or drewl." Midnight Sun replied. "Besides, Mother's allergic to dogs. I don't want to make her sick when I come back. I'd do that if I owned a dog." Midnight Sun cared deeply for her mother. The foal really wanted a dog, but when her mother first explained her allergy to the foal, Midnight Sun showed compassion and respect by keeping animals as far away from any member of the family as possible. Even when she saw a dog, the foal detached her feelings of desire and love in order to scare it away.

"I forgot that auntie's allergic to dogs... But, your living here now. By the sound of that letter I don't think you'll be going back." Whisperpaw replied to the young foal as he had picked up on her interest in dogs. He lead her to the front desk and handed over his library cart to the librarian. She stamped all of the books and returned the card to Whisperpaw. Whisperpaw watched as Midgnight Sun used magic to resume carrying the books. "I think a certain little puppy us waiting for you out there." Whisperpaw spoke softly to Midnight Sun.

Seaspray smiled at the foal. She, like Whisperpaw, had picked up on her interest in owning a puppy, and she could see a little plan forming in the gentle stallion's head; perhaps he hoped, if she had a dog, she would mellow down and cooperate with the two adults more.

She walked with the them to the front desk, glancing around this marvelous building as they did so. She waited as the books were stamped, and when it was time to make their way outside, Seaspray didn't hesitate. She smiled a little as sure enough, the puppy was sat on the front steps, and she glanced to Midnight Sun, and caught just a little bit of sparkle in her eyes.

Seaspray nuzzled Whisperpaw as she watched Midnight Sun, and a thought suddenly sprung into her head. Would Whisperpaw want foals someday? If so, how soon? She wanted a foal, but she wasn't sure if she was ready, just yet. She frowned a little as this occured to her, and decided to ask him when they got home, and Midnight Sun had gone to bed.

"You... You really do care about me." Midnight sun spoke to the puppy, who was now wagging her tail at the foal. The puppy rubbed her tiny body against Midnight sun. The foal smiled brightly as she lowered the books to the step. She then hugged the puppy who had waited for her. She looked up to Whisperpaw and asked. "Please can I keep her? I'll give her a really good name and I'll train her so that she doesn't leave any accidents in the house."

"If nopony claims her in two weeks then she'll officially be a stray dog. And if that happens, then she's yours to keep." Whisperpaw replied. He didn't know if that puppy was someponys missing pet. But if it was just a stray, he didn't mind his cousin having a pet of her own.

He gently nuzzled Seaspray. As he did so, he gently slipped a ring onto her horn that he had cleverly been hiding in his mane. The stallion looked into her sparkling eyes as he got down onto one hoof. A gentle, loving smile spread across his face. Whisperpaw believed it was time to ask her the most important question in his life. "Seaspray, will you marry me?"

• Like 1

Seaspray smiled at the young foal's reaction to seeing the puppy who had waited for her. She was filled with a random feeling of euphoria, and she didn't know why. She assumed that it was because she was again, seeing a softer side to the vulnerable, grumpy foal from earlier, and of course, the love of an animal or a pet was always special.

She turned to Whisperpaw and smiled, seeing that he was pleased too. She smiiled again as she felt him nuzzle her, but she froze when she felt something slide onto her horn. She glanced up to see something glinting there, and when she looked back down, Whisperpaw was on one hoof. "Wh-Whisperpaw?"

Was this really happening? Were all her dreams coming true in one day? Not only had she finally gotten her own pet, but now Whisperpaw was proposing? She could barely see him for the tears of happiness that were threatening to spill over from her eyes, but she heard every word that came from his mouth.

"Y-yes! Of course!"

Seaspray began to cry those same tears of happiness, and she threw her hooves around her new fiancé's neck, kissing his cheek as she laughed through her tears.

Whisperpaw smiled as he quickly put his hooves around her so that he could give her a hug. He kissed her cheek in return. The stallion felt as though he was so happy that his heart had skipped a beat. He saw tears in Seaspray's eyes. They were the most beautiful tears he had ever seen. They were tears of joy. Whisperpaw gently caressed his beautiful fiancé's soft face, gently with the very tip of his horn. "I love you more than I can ever express with words." He told her.

Midnight Sun and the puppy looked at the happy couple. They then looked at each other and stuck their tongues out in distaste. "They're going all mushy on us now!" The foal spoke to the puppy as though she was a pony. The puppy let out a tiny yap. Midnight Sun believed that she was agreeing with her in puppy language.

Seaspray hiccuped as she controlled her tears. "I-I love you too. So.. So much!"

She didn't want to let go of Whisperpaw, but she knew she couldn't stay here forever. She felt as thought she could jump through the clouds, even higher than any pegasi! She glanced up again to the ring on her horn and threatened to burst back into tears. "It's beautiful!"

She let out a giggle and kissed him again softly, blushing as she turned back to Midnight Sun. "It's good to see you two are getting along! Lets just hope she gets along with the other two when we bring her back home! She does looks a little hungry, too. We'll have to feed her up."

Seaspray couldn't help it; she began to giggle again; something completely unlike her. She was engaged!