In The Love Nest... [CrimsonNova & PonyHooves]

Seaspray sighed, relieved and glad that her spell had done what she had meant it to do. She looked to Whisperpaw, but stayed where she was with her body curled around the foals.

"Do you want to try picking her up?"

She then turned her attention back to Midnight Sun and nuzzled her again. "You're being very brave, sweetie. Don't worry, once we get you to Canterlot, you'll be okay in no time."

Whisperpaw lowered his head, so that his cousin could hold onto his neck. Once she held on, he used his front hoof to gently nudge the rest of her body onto his back. He looked to the puppy who, was now sitting up, looking at him. He smiled faintly and said. "Good dog... I'll slip a nice puppy treat in with your food for helping Midnight Sun." He watched as the pup stood up and wagged her tail slowly.

Whisperpaw turned to Seaspray. He kissed her softly on the cheek affectionatly before saying. "First stop... Home. I know one little puppy who deserves to rest in the comfort of a home. Our home."

Seaspray nodded and smiled to Whisperpaw and began to walk beside them, making sure that Midnight Sun was firmly seated on his back. She smiled reassuringly to the foal and suddenly something sprung into her head.

She stopped in her tracks and spoke to Whisperpaw. "I'm going to go collect the books and clean up the picnic. I'll meet you back at home," she murmured softly, giving Whisperpaw a soft kiss on the nose before cantering off in the opposite direction.

When she finally reached the place they had picnicked, she used her cleanup spell, and in no time the blanket and food was cleared up back into the basket. She sighed and rubbed her head again. She was still weary from using the spell earlier. Despite this, she levitated the basked onto her back and secured it with a simple spell. She then levitated the books and began to canter back to Whisperpaw's home - and just in time; she had arrived just as he trotted up the path, with Midnight Sun on his back.

She was panting as they reached the door and she smiled weakly, showing the foal the books. "I thought you might want these."

Midnight Sun had wondered where Seaspray had gone. When she saw the mare on return, the foal smiled. She was glad that Seaspray hadn't left for good. She showed Midnight Sun the books and the foal's eyes lit up with joy. "Oh, thank you, thank you, thank you!"

Whisperpaw smiled and opened the door. He stepped aside and looked at his fiancé. "Mares first." He spoke with a smile. There may have been an accident that had happened earlier, but the stallion didn't forget his manners.

Seaspray entered the house and moved through the hallway to the kitchen, wherein she placed the basket down on the counter. She looked down when she felt a soft tug on her mane, and saw Domino pulling it. She lifted up him carefully and put him on her back. "You can't come, so you'll stay with Epistola and the puppy, okay?"

She then made her way back to Whisperpaw and Midnight Sun, and pulled her saddlebags over. She emptied them so that they were light, and put the books inside. "Is there anything else you'd like to bring with you, Midnight Sun?"

"I only need my books... But thanks for asking." Midnight Sun replied.

Whisperpaw pulled a couple of bowls out of the kitchen cuboard He filled one bowl with cold water. Then he pulled a bag of dry puppy food out of the lower cuboard. He opened the bag and poured out the correct amount for the puppy into the second bowl. After that, the stallion placed both bowls on the floor in the kitchen. Whisperpaw opened the closet in the living room and pulled out a soft padded dog bed. He placed the bed on the floor in the kitchen beside the food and water. Once that was complete, he returned to Seaspray.

Seaspray nodded and closed her saddlebags. She looked up as Whisperpaw entered, and tilted her head.

"Are we all ready to leave?"

She was itching to get going, and get Midnight Sun to hospital as soon as possible. She had a few friends from Canterlot, and she knew that Canterlot General was one of the best hospitals there is. She looked to Whisperpaw and nuzzled him softly; he was looking a little pale. She then turned back to Midnight Sun and nuzzled her.

Whisperpaw pulled his white scarf off his coat hanger and put it on. When ever he went into Canterlot, he always felt a chill that was made by the hustle and bustle of moving carts and other ponies. He helped Midnight Sun onto his back and said. "Ready."

"It's summer and your going out with a scarf on!" His cousin spoke sounding confused.

"I get chilly when I'm in the big city and places where there are large crowds mae me nervous." Whisperpaw replied as he opened the door for Seaspray.

"Your still scared of the city... Aren't you?" Midnight Sun spoke in a more understanding tone.

Seaspray smiled and nuzzled him. "It's okay, we'll be with you all the way."

She secured the saddlebags to herself and left the house after a last kiss to her new pets head. She turned to the two behind her and smiled a little shyly. "Sorry, I don't really know my way."

She wondered if the foal would have to stay overnight, and wondered where the adults would stay. She shrugged and cuddled up to Whisperpaw. The mare smiled to Midnight Sun.

"So, when did you first discover reading, Midnight Sun?"

Whisperpaw was relieved to know that both his cousin and Seaspray were understanding. The city had always seemed very frightening. It didn't matter which city he went to. The stallion couldn't bear the thought of thousands of ponies all staring at him and possibly secretly judging him by his appearance and gait. He did not move around in the normal stallion way. He was often in between a trot and a canter when he moved. He thought because of this, they'd think of him as somepony nopony would dare cross paths with; something that they'd chase away with flaming torches.

Whisperpaw knew the way to the city. Despite his fear, he took control in order to show Seaspray the correct paths to take in order to get into Canterlot. He was cautious about entering the city, but knew he had no choice.

"Mother hired a nanny to take care of me when I was too young to go to school." Midnight Sun began to explain. "My nanny always read to me at snack time and right before I went to sleep. One day I asked her to teach me how to read and she did."

Seaspray nodded as she listened to Midnight's Sun story. She was still very intrigued by the foals love of reading, and even more impressed that she was being so brave. Easier to be impressed by, was how brave her fiancé was being. She knew that he hated crowds, and his love for his cousin was soon becoming apparent as he led the way to the city.

She walked close beside him and nuzzled him, trying to put her feelings into every touch or action she did. She didn't want to say how impressed or proud she was of him in front of the foal.

Whisperpaw smiled when he felt the gentle touch of his fiancé. It made him feel as though he was safe, despite how uncomfortable he felt. As they entered Canterlot, he nuzzled Seaspray back in order to distract his thoughts. If the stallion didn't think about the crowds, then he wouldn't feel so scared.

Midnight Sun looked all around her. There were so many different sights and sounds. Even though she came from a city, it was different from Canterlot. But everypony knew that no two cities were alike. The foal was so distracted by the wonders that surrounded her that she had forgotten about her broken leg.

"Oh... Oh... I see a royal guard. His armor looks so clean!" She blurted out.

Whisperpaw began to smile. He liked to hear excitement in Midnight Sun's tone. He knew that it meant she was happy. The stallion loved to see any member of his family being happy. It was wonderful. It was even more wonderful that he knew his cousin was forgetting about the hospital visit. The unicorn knew the hospital could seem very frightening.

Seaspray could feel Whisperpaw calm down a little, and she smiled to herself. She had always liked Canterlot, even though she had only visited the city a few times. She had met some friendly ponies though, and wasn't worried about being in an unfamiliar place.

She smiled at Midnight Sun's reaction. She was such a sweet little foal, and completely different from the one she had seen earlier. Despite the situation, she laughed, and as they walked up to the hospital, she quietened, worried how the foal would take the situation. She looked to Whisperpaw nervously, but tried not to let her feelings convey so it wouldn't increase his nerves.

Midnight Sun saw the hospital come into clear sight. She looked down at her leg and remembered why she was in Canterlot. Fear began to set in and the foal began to shake in fear. She wasn't too fond of hospitals. It wasn't as if she didn't like them. She was afraid of doctors.

"Take it easy... Your sending vibrations down my body!" Whisperpaw spoke in a silly, and shaky tone of voice. He was trying to make her laugh. Yet at the same time, her shaking didn't make it any easier for him to carry her. It made it much more difficult. He had to be even more careful not to drop her.

"There's nothing to be afraid of... When I was your age, I spent alot of time in hospital here. I kept getting scared of large crowds and I ran into trees, horn first." Whisperpaw informed her. "But my horn still works perfectly fine. I've never been too good with magic and the ponies inside are always nice."

"They are? But... I've never been in a hospital before." The foal replied.

Seaspray stayed silent as the foal began to express her fears. She stepped up next to the foal and smiled warmly. "It's okay, I know a unicorn here. She works here and she's very nice. Hospitals aren't scary, don't worry!"

She nuzzled Whisperpaw and murmured in his ear. "Should I go see if I can find Life? She's very good with foals and she's very gentle. I'm sure she'd put Midnight Sun at ease."

She smiled reassuringly at him, trying to set both the foal's and his nerves at ease, again.

"That sounds like a good idea since she's never been in hospital before." Whisperpaw whispered in Seaspray's ear. The stallion was glad they had made it to the hospital. He hadn't said anything, but he was feeling tired. He wasn't used to carrying a foal on his back. When he lifted anything, it was either with his teeth or magic since he used magic when working with animals. But he couldn't use magice to lift and carry ponies.

Midnight Sun kept a tight grip on Whisperpaw's body. But she could feel his body lower ever so slightly. She could sense that he was worn out fom carrying her. The foal looked in Seaspray's direction. "Auntie Seaspray... I think Whisperpaw is really tired." She gulped slightly at the thought of saying the words she was about to say. "Can we uhh... Go inside faster so he can take me off his back?"

Seaspray nodded and led the way inside, once inside, she went straight to the reception. She had just opened her mouth and ask for her friend when she felt a tap on her shoulder. She turned to stare straight into the eye of a grinning Life Line. The mare smiled weakly at the younger filly. "Life Line. It's good to see you again," she turned to Whisperpaw and smiled shyly. "This is my fiancé, Whisperpaw and his cousin, Midnight Sun. She broke her leg, can you take her?"

Life Line smiled warmly as she saw that familiar flash of sea-blue and green. She hadn't seen Seaspray in such a long time! She trotted over to the mare and tapped her on the shoulder. Before she could get a word in edgeways, she listened intently to the story and her eyes widened when she saw the ring glistening in the light of the hospital on her friend's horn. She nuzzled her friend and nodded. Without a word, she turned to Whisperpaw and the foal.

"Hiya, name's Life Line, trainee here at Canterlot General. And congrats," she said to Whisperpaw, and then she directed her speech to Midnight Sun. "Oh you poor thing, how did you hurt your leg? Was it that silly Seaspray again? I've heard she's a big meanie," the filly teased, knowing that there was no gentler mare anywhere than Seaspray.

She summoned over a stretcher using her magic and with the help of Seaspray and a fellow nurse who was walking by, the three levitated the foal onto the stretcher. She led the group down a corridor and set the stretcher down on a bed in a side ward, carefully, so as not to hurt or jolt the young foal.

"Whoa... Now that's what I call advanced magic..." Midnight Sun mumbled softly. She was deeply interested in magic unlike her cousin who used his body strength for near enough everything. The foal was still nervous. She looked around from one area to the next while remaining silent. She wasn't used to feeling this kind of fear. When she looked back to her cousin's eyes, she felt as though she understood. He went through this every day of his life when he was a foal which was why in her eyes, he had a scrappy, yet muscular appearance. But she knew that Seaspray didn't see that.

Her nerves began to go away as she saw Whisperpaw struggle to take off his scarf. She knew that it was much warmer in the hospital; a little too warm to keep a simple scarf on. "Whisperpaw, why don't you just use magic to take it off?" She asked.

"I can't... Not all unicorns are good at magic. I'm one of those unicorns." Whisperpaw replied as he began to fight with his scarf, which was still refusing to budge. He wanted to take it off. Now that he was inside, it was much too warm for him. When he was out in the warm sun, the hustle and bustle of life seemed to flow with a rather chilly breeze which he did not care for. But now that their were less ponies were rushing around, he started to notice how warm this summer's day actually was.

"Fighting with it will only make you feel even warmer..." The foal stated her point. Even though her leg was broken, she couldn't just leave her cousin to struggle with his scarf. She wouldn't like wearing clothing that she couldn't take off, so she thought that Whisperpaw wouldn't like it either. Midnight Sun closed her eyes as she used magic to gently loosen the scarf to the point where it would fall off Whisperpaw's neck.

"Phew... That was too warm. Thanks Midnight Sun." Whisperpaw saw kindness coming from his cousin. He had never seen her behave so nicely towards him before. The stallion had discovered that she did care about him. Appearances were decieving. She wasn't a spoiled brat. She was actually a sweet natured foal, who really cared about the world around her and all of the ponies that occupied it.

Seaspray smiled at the two as she saw them bonding more and more. She knew she was right in believing that Whisperpaw did care more than he showed about his cousin, and Midnight Sun, likewise. She envied that relationship; having never met any of her cousins, or indeed having siblings of her own.

She sat close by the bed beside Whisperpaw, and she smiled warmly as she watched the nurse examine the foal's leg.

Life Line prodded and poked Midnight Sun's leg, her horn glowing a bright teal all the while. She hummed softly as she did so, and after a while, she looked up to the couple, and the young foal.

"Okay, you're leg is broken, Midnight Sun, but I think you knew that," the grey unicorn said, beginning to write on a charter using her magic. "Luckily for you, you silly filly, it's not very severe, so you shouldn't be too long. If we can get the doctor down early, you'll be in cast and on your way home by tonight. Even if we can't, you'll be out early tomorrow."

"Well that's good... Because I can't wait to go home." Midnight Sun spoke. "I thought Manehattan was home... But home is with Whisperpaw and Auntie Seaspray."

Whisperpaw felt as though he could shed a tear. She was such a young city foal and suddenly she's accepted that she wasn't meant to live in the city at all. It was times like this that the stallion lost all of his fears. Whisperpaw rubbed horns with Midnight Sun in an affectionate way. A few tiny sparks of magic left his horn before they died down.

"And I'm glad that your with us..." He replied in a gentle tone. Whisperpaw suddenly had an exhausted expression on his face. He wasn't normally able to produce magic sparks. Magic was tiring and confusing to the stallion.

Whisperpaw then rubbed horns with Seaspray. A few more sparks of magic left his horn. This time they took the shape of hearts. He looked deeply into Seaspray's eyes and spoke in a tone so gentle. "I love you, my dearest Seaspray. You will always be a part of me."

Seaspray's eyes began to water as she saw the effect Midnight Sun's words had on her fiancé. Her ears went back as she tried to keep back the tears that threatened to overflow, and she smiled at the two. She was glad that she had finally found her family, and she couldn't have wished for better ponies anywhere.

She smiled and kissed his cheek, looking back into his eyes. "I love you too, Whisperpaw, and likewise, you are a the biggest part o my life now."

Life Line smiled and wiped her eyes. This was a reason she loved working here. She turned silently and walked away down the ward. She was determined to find her mentor and get the foal's leg fixed so that the trio could go home. Once she'd found her mentor, she trotted back to the bed and cleared her throat. "Alright, I'm going to preform the rebreaking and setting spell now. I know that Seaspray has used a pain-easing spell on you, Midnight Sun, so it won't hurt as much, but it might still twinge a little bit. You'll be brave, won't you?"

Whisperpaw returned the kiss as he continued to look into Seaspray's eyes. He smiled ever so softly. He felt as though life was perfect. He had the love of his life and a cousin who loved the pair of them, though she didn't always show it. But he was tired now. Much more tired than he was before. However, he forced his self to stay awake so that he could support Midnight Sun if she needed it.

"I'm brave. I like the dark and most foals of my age don't." Midnight Sun replied, putting a brave face on what was about to happen. She was nervous, but she didn't show it. Last time Midnight Sun got scared, she used magic without thinking. The foal still feels guilty about using magic to throw books at her friend last Nightmare Night. He wasn't the pony that scared her either. It was the pony dressed up as a doctor that scared her.

Seaspray smiled at the sleepy stallion beside her. His eyes were drooping, and she could tell that he was exhausted. She carefully rested her head against his shoulder, nuzzling his neck to relax him a little. She watched Life Line and the foal carefully, scared that Midnight Sun would do something rash if the spell scared her, or hurt her.

Life Line smiled. She tapped the foal on the head gently and giggled. She lowered her head and touched her horn to the foals leg, and screwing up her eyes. "Okay, I'm going to begin," She said, as her horn began to glow. First, there was the rebreaking spell, which would be the painful one. She felt a certain heat run through her horn, and she knew she had done the spell correctly.

Midnight Sun felt a sudden pain shoot down her leg. She shut her eyes tightly and suddenly heard a loud thwack! When Midnight Sun opened her eyes again her jaw dropped and she went slighlty pale. "Whisperpaw, I'm so sorry... I-I can't control my magic when I'm in certain situations." She apologised.

"Those books are lethal wepons... Five at once... That's a first!" Whisperpaw spoke, while rubbing his horn with his hoof. He wasn't angry with her. She couldn't help it and he understood that. Even so, that was the hardest anything had ever hit his horn. "Don't be sorry... Accidents happen and it's not the first time My horn took a beating. Did I ever tell you about the time I got my horn stuck in a tree?" He tried to make a joke about it to ease her guilt.

Seaspray ducked when she saw the books flying towards the two. She looked up after a sickening thud, and she winced as she saw her fiancé rubbing his horn. She nuzzled him, concerned. "Are you sure you're okay? And you, Midnight Sun, are you okay?"

Still, the mare was pleased that Whisperpaw was making a joke to ease the situation, and she nuzzled him again, a soft smile playing around her lips.

Life Line took no notice of the incident, and continued to work on the foals leg. She screwed up her eyes once more and went about starting the setting spell. This spell was easier than the first, and wouldn't hurt the filly. Once she was confident that the spell had worked, she prodded the foal's leg gently. When there was no reaction from her, she nodded, and began to cast the leg. After that was finished, she turned to Whisperpaw and Seaspray, and smiled, a little weary after the magic.

"She's free to go now, but she'll need to come back in a week or so to have the cast removed. No wearing yourself out, little filly," she stated, as she went off to sort the paperwork, pleased with her days work.

When Life Line had left, Seaspray turned to Whisperpaw. "You can't carry her home like this, you're much too tired."