The Metal Thread

This thread is dedicated to metal in general, and is open to general talks and discussions about the subject.

Some starting ideas to kick off the thread:

What are your favorite sub-genres of metal? What are your least liked sub-genres of metal?

Why are you (or aren't) a fan of metal?

Want to show anyone that one obscure band/song that you've found but almost no one has heard of?

I've always been a big fan of thrash or doom metal, but I haven't been listening to as much metal lately. Never been much of a black metal fan (though I do listen to Bathory every now and again).

I don't even remember how I really got into metal, I guess I was just listening to a lot of bad nu-rock and stuff like that and it just moved from there. My one concern with a lot of metal is that certain bands lack melody of any sort, which is a real turn off for me.

Hmm, obscure metal band? Hmmm...I'm not sure how obscure these bands are to be honest: Electric Wizard, Annihilator, Sleep, The Sword, Iced Earth (probably the least obscure of the list)...

I like...some kinds of metal x3 im not sure. I like bands like Breaking Benjamin, Seether and Pierce The Veil. I remember when i used to...delve into weed Sleep and Electric Wizard were two big bands for me haha.

I've always been a big fan of thrash or doom metal, but I haven't been listening to as much metal lately. Never been much of a black metal fan (though I do listen to Bathory every now and again).

Personally, I can't really pinpoint my favorite sub-genres. I listen to a lot of sub-genres (and I'm surprised of how many sub-genres there are!).

I guess that it more comes down to each individual artist and song. It pretty much comes down to how "serious" each song/artist really is.

I really haven't been that much of a black metal fan myself... that is until about a few months ago. The atmospheric and epic black metals are my favorite sub-genres of black metal. I can't really say that I am a fan of the satanic black metal, though.

If you have anytime, check out the song "Glare of Autumn" by Drudkh. It is one of my favorite atmospheric black metal songs.

I don't even remember how I really got into metal, I guess I was just listening to a lot of bad nu-rock and stuff like that and it just moved from there. My one concern with a lot of metal is that certain bands lack melody of any sort, which is a real turn off for me.

I'll be the first one to admit that I got my love of metal from Guitar Hero. I was about 11 years old when one of my cousins introduced me to the game. Now metal is probably the only music that I really listen to.

I like...some kinds of metal x3 im not sure. I like bands like Breaking Benjamin, Seether and Pierce The Veil. I remember when i used to...delve into weed Sleep and Electric Wizard were two big bands for me haha.

Huh, Electric Wizard is mentioned more than I expected.

On another note, who are Beraking Benjamin, Seether, and Pierce the Veil?

I love Metallica, Disturbed and... does Three Days Grace count..? >_<'

I would assume that Three Days Grace is more hard rock than metal.

I too like Metallica, although they're not on my top favorites.

Know what I miss from metal? Full on stories. Even though "Iron Man" is one of the most over-played Black Sabbath songs ever (not trying to discredit how good of a song it actually is) the story the song tells is awesome, almost poetic to a point, but I feel, at least with a lot of more modern bands, if there is a story it is a bit more visceral and such, but that might just be me.

Know what I miss from metal? Full on stories. Even though "Iron Man" is one of the most over-played Black Sabbath songs ever (not trying to discredit how good of a song it actually is) the story the song tells is awesome, almost poetic to a point, but I feel, at least with a lot of more modern bands, if there is a story it is a bit more visceral and such, but that might just be me.

Well, there may not be song that tell one story, but there are albums that tell one story.

Blind Guiardian, Kamelot (Epica and The Black Halo), and Avantasia (The Metal Opera Part 1 and 2) are some examples.

Oh wow, I had completely forgotten about Kamelot, I use to dig them a lot, I just haven't listened to them in a while. Speaking of concept albums, Iced Earth "Dystopia" has been one of my favorite metal albums lately.

I'd definitely suggest Burnt Offerings, Horror Show, The Dark Saga, and Dystopia. They've changed lead singers a couple of times, my favorite was Matt Barlow and I was really disappointed when he didn't stick around and I was worried about who they were going to get next, but Stu Block, who did vocals for their most recent album, really impressed me.

I too manage to find and get into bands because of other bands. For example, Rhapsody lead me to find the power metal genre, and eventually find bands that I like.

• 3 weeks later...

Bro, I love Metal, I like mostly Metalcore (Though I never did like Melodic Metalcore), Grindcore, Black Metal, Post-Metal, and Sludge/Doom Metal. My personal favorite bands are:

Converge

Isis

Neurosis

Pelican

Russian Circles

Rosetta

Norma Jean

GAZA

Coalesce

The Dillinger Escape Plan

Botch

Integrity

Rorschach

Eyehategod

Darkthrone

Woods of Desolation

Austere

And that's all that I can think of right now

Bro, I love Metal, I like mostly Metalcore (Though I never did like Melodic Metalcore), Grindcore, Black Metal, Post-Metal, and Sludge/Doom Metal. My personal favorite

It seems that you're into the more darker side of metal.

Can't really say that I'm a fan of Metalcore, Grindcore, or Sludge/Doom Metal, but I am into black metal fan myself.

Some bands include Drudkh, Immortal, Bathory, Wodensthrone, and Darkforest.

From your list, I recognize Austere, Pelican, Darkthrone, and Woods of Desolation. The others, not so much.

I love metal, it's my favorite genre of music.

Some my favorite bands are Carcass, Death, Opeth, Electric Wizard and Eyehategod.

I'm not much of a death metal fan, although I hear that Death is a classic.

I've also been hearing that Opeth is good too. Maybe I should check them out sometime.

Never been much into Grindcore, in that general direction I more take to Crust Punk. I like Doom Metal, especially the classics and sludge metal has some cool bands like The Melvins (especially when Jello Biafra collabs with them).

I'm not much of a death metal fan, although I hear that Death is a classic.

I've also been hearing that Opeth is good too. Maybe I should check them out sometime.

Death and Opeth are both great death metal bands to start off with, I'd recommend Death's album The Sound of Perseverance and Opeth's Blackwater Park.

Never been much into Grindcore, in that general direction I more take to Crust Punk. I like Doom Metal, especially the classics and sludge metal has some cool bands like The Melvins (especially when Jello Biafra collabs with them).

You don't like Grindcore? :( Not even Napalm Death? They're actually a pretty easy band to get into. Well, at least they were for me.

Death and Opeth are both great death metal bands to start off with, I'd recommend Death's album The Sound of Perseverance and Opeth's Blackwater Park.

Ironically I already listened to that Death album. Can't say that I'm much of a fan. But then again, I'm not that much of a death metal fan either. I only recently found out how big they were.

And I'll check out that Opeth album sometime.

It seems that you're into the more darker side of metal.

Eh, I guess you could say that. I tend to listen to genres that are more hardcore based, though somehow I was able to get into Black Metal, especially Depressive Black, Atmospheric BM is alright depending on the band.

From your list, I recognize Austere, Pelican, Darkthrone, and Woods of Desolation. The others, not so much.

Well at least you recognize some of them, though you don't even know my favorite Metal band, CONVERGE

I doubt that you'd be f an of them, though I might as well leave a song by them anyways.

Ironically I already listened to that Death album. Can't say that I'm much of a fan. But then again, I'm not that much of a death metal fan either. I only recently found out how big they were.

And I'll check out that Opeth album sometime.

I know many people who aren't very fond of death metal. :cry::wail:

I'll post some Carcass, AKA the great and mighty Carcass.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZgKASLpbfw

Eh, I guess you could say that. I tend to listen to genres that are more hardcore based, though somehow I was able to get into Black Metal, especially Depressive Black, Atmospheric BM is alright depending on the band.

Well at least you recognize some of them, though you don't even know my favorite Metal band, CONVERGE

I doubt that you'd be fan of them, though I might as well leave a song by them anyways.

As I stated earlier in the thread, I do like Black Metal, and Atmospheric and Epic are my favorite sub-genres of Black Metal. Some of the bands that I recognized were because I stumbled on them while finding some Black Metal bands to listen to.

Honestly, I don't aim for metal bands that are attempting to be hardcore. I can't find words to put it, but the best way (and most general) is that I like metal that is more on the serious side/takes itself seriously. The metalcore/grindcore stuff usually doesn't appeal to me in that regard, as I feel that it's just not really being serious.

And you guessed correct. Based on that song, I can't say that I'm a fan of Converge.

I know many people who aren't very fond of death metal. :cry::wail:

I'll post some Carcass, AKA the great and mighty Carcass.

I do like some melodic death metal, but otherwise it's not my cup of tea.

I can't say that I would be a fan of Carcass, although I do see the good quality from it.

Also, could I interest you two in some Folk/Viking metal?