Lost and Hunted

Monochrome

Sapphire moves cloud below her hooves, making a spiral where her hoof is. She looks up to Nao and responds "Yeah, the people of Hayston aren't that good when it comes to...nightmares. Come on." She jumps up and holds herself up with her wings, waiting for Nao's disguise.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nao lowered her head a bit, her body emitting a faint blue glow before her appearance changed back to that of a pegasus. She stepped to the edge of the cloud, and, once Sapphire had taken flight, clumsily flapped along behind her.

Sapphire giggles "You haven't flown before, have you?" they take off to Hayston.

(time passes)

When they arrive in Hayston, ponies are all hard at work at their jobs. Sapphire leads Nao to her garden where a red earthpony was tending the grounds, weeding the garden and watering the plants. They land behind her "Heya Daisy. I brought a friend home." Daisy Bloom looks up and to Sapphire. She sets down the watering bucket and says "Who is it? Ah'd like t' meet 'em."

"Her name's Nao." She steps aside to show Nao standing with her. "Well howdy, what brings ya here?"

Nao landed awkwardly when they reached Hayston, and she approached the garden with Sapphire. A red earth pony was hard at work there, just as everypony else in town seemed to be. Sapphire introduced her. "H-hello..." Nao squeaked, then fell silent for a moment, as she couldn't tell Daisy her real reason for being there. "Uh, Just visiting..."

"Well, hay bale, how ya likin' Hayston so far? I know there's lotsa people workin', but the winter is comin' soon. We all gotta be prepared." Daisy walks up to Nao "Ya seem t' be jus' 'bout as shy as Sapphire. Ya'll warm up to these ponies quick, if yer anythin' like Sapphire." Sapphire nervously grins and pulls her head down "Hehe...yeah...quick..."

"It seems... Nice here." Nao said. She listened as the earth pony remarked on how similar her manner was to Sapphire's, as Nao herself had noticed earlier. "I-I'm sure I will." she replied with a slight nod. She looked around her some more. Just then, the sun edged out from behind some clouds. Nao's world was a very dark place, so she wasn't used to it being so bright. She squinted her sensitive yellow eyes in the light.

"You okay, haybale?" Daisy asked noticing her squinting at the light, eyes yellow. Sapphire jumps infront of Daisy "Uh yeah...hehe...she's just...tired! Yeah, she's...tired..." Daisy has a questioning look on her face as she pears at Nao.

((You make it sound like her eyes weren't yellow before... XD Nao's eyes were a kind of glowy yellow in the first place. XD )) "Y-yeah." Nao said, faking a yawn. She leaned towards Sapphire and whispered, just quiet enough that only Sapphire could hear her, "My dimension is very dark... This place is a bit too bright for my eyes." Nao then lowered her head a bit and adjusted the hood of her cloak. Her kind had naturally luminescent eyes, even when in disguise, a glaring give-away that she couldn't really avoid.

(oh, i thought normal eyes would be part of the disguise lol)

"We were...just in a dark place earlier. Guess Nao's eyes haven't..."adjusted"...yet." Sapphire lets out a nervous chuckle as Daisy leans closer, examining her. "Sure..." Daisy turns back to the garden "Well, y'all be safe now, y'hear? Make sure yer home at sunset, Sapphire...ya know how ya get at night..." Daisy walks off, leaving Sapphire with a nervous grin. When Daisy fades from sight, Sapphire lets out a sigh "That was a close one..."

(and now, just because she said that, we need her out at night, or in your realm xD )

"Yes, it was... Uhm, not to be nosy, but what did she mean? 'How you get at night'?" Nao said, looking up for a moment to check the time of day. It was nearing evening, but nowhere near time for the portals to reopen yet. She'd have to blend in here for a while yet.

"Oh..." Nao said, giving Sapphire a slight reassuring pat with her hoof. "A natural reaction. I mean, when things like my kind roam around in the night, there's a logical reason there to be wary of it. Although, we don't really harm anypony... We just eat dreams."

"A little. But I don't think anypony's dreaming at this time of day... I suppose it is possible for me to try whatever you eat in this dimension." she said with a sheepish grin. "I've never tasted anything that wasn't somepony's dream."

"Hm... Well, there is this stuff... Called 'bread', I think?... That sounds pretty good. Ooh, and cake! And fruit! And I've heard of some things with funny names... Like gu-acamole-y! Is that a food? Or kumquats... Are those food either?" Nao said, beginning to sound like an excited foal.

Her eyes lit up (both literally and metaphorically) as she spoke about all of the things she had heard of and pondered the prospect of actually tasting them.

Sapphire giggles "Well, why don't we start with a sandwich. Come inside, I can make you one." She said, leading her up to the house. Once inside, she goes to the fridge and pulls out daisies, lettuce, bread, and mayo. She sets them on the counter and begins preparing them into a sandwich, washing the daisies and lettuce gently and putting a thin layer of mayo on each bread. She puts them together and brings the sandwich to Nao "Here! Try this."

Nao watched intently as Sapphire put together the sandwich. When it was handed to her, Nao looked at it for a moment, then slowly, somewhat unsurely took a bite. Her eyes widened and she greedily tore of another bite.

"This is good!" she said, her mouth partially full of sandwich.

"You get to eat this stuff every day?" Nao said disbelievingly. She wolfed down a second sandwich and thought for a moment. "I simply must let you taste dreams somehow...Hm, but how...?" she pondered.

(Christmas season, am busy >-< I'm on whenever I can though!)

"I'm glad you like it," she said as she kept making more. She heard the last bit and said "Well...wouldn't that just leave bad dreams then?"

"Exactly why my kind has a name synonymous with bad dreams. But, it's the only way we know... Like the changelings feeding on love. It is what we have done since the beginning." Nao sighed. "I suppose you're curious how my kind came to be?"

Silver Secret had been listening a few feet away. the older filly (maybe 3 years older then the CMC) was probably one of the only ponies who knew about the nightmares. she always had her eyes and ears open while her mouth was almost always closed. she never really met anypony after the... accident with her parrents and had been on her own for quite a while. she pulled the hood of her cape tighter to her face. hiding her silver mane with pink highlights. her light pink fur not a complete mess bus still messy. she gripped the silver key that she wore around her neck as a necklace that opened.. well about anything. her only friend, a unicorn (long gone) had made it for her. she always liked secrets and had never heard the one that the night mare was getting ready to tell somepony.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived