Russet Apple's Forge (Open)

Lux

A light snow was falling as Russet Apple stepped from his house. He didn't mind the cold as where he was going the chill was a welcomed reprieve compared to the hot summer days with a tug he pulled open the sliding door open and stepped into his forge. The space was neatly organized, dominated by a massive stone furnace. There was a container of water, a pile of metal, and racks of tools.

"Time to get to work," he said as he lit the furnace and began operating the massive bellows to the forge, heating the furnace to a roaring blaze in a matter of minutes. He then put on a thick apron and goggles before grabbing a metal piece and setting it part way into the fire to get it heated. Soon he would begin to shape the metal while being ever ready to sell his metal creations or to take requests.

Introducing my new pony, Russet Apple. Feel free to drop in and say hi or to request anything forged!

It was simply too cold for a visit to Canterlot- that was Blue Moon's only thought as she trudged up the hills, panting. Her breath was visible in the morning air, and the sun, coming up on the horizon, shone weakly through the clouds. Usually she would be absolutely fine making the trip from the edge of the Whitetail Woods to visit her sister, but not today.

"If only I could find somewhere warm to rest," she thought to herself, shivering. There were farms along the path, but no place where she could just stroll in. If there were only a shoppe or something of that nature, she could pop in and cease her shivering. She wouldn't even be a bother; she would happily buy something in return for the warmth.

As she was thinking, she saw smoke mixing in with the gray winter clouds. Up ahead was some sort of craftspony's forge. What luck! Not just a warm building, but one with a fire as well! She hurried up, her hooves protesting because of the cold. "It'll be worth it when I get there," she thought to herself.

The sounds of his hammer striking metal and the roar of the heat from the furnace drowned out the sound of the hoofsteps entering the forge. It was only when he caught out of the corner of his eye a blue color he turned to see a grey mare standing there looking cold.

"Howdy," he said setting down the metal for the moment as he turned his attention to the mare, "Welcome to mah forge. Ah'm Russet Apple. What you're name there miss?"

Blue Moon stared at the rugged, tall pony, amazed by the strength he put into striking the metal. She couldn't do that ever in her lifetime. What an admirable talent...

She realized the stallion had greeted her with a start. "Oh, hello," she greeted, stepping forward, "My name is Blue. Blue Moon, that is."

The forge was very warm, that was for sure, and something about this friendly stallion made her feel at home. She fixed up her cloak and smiled. "I'm sorry to intrude, but it's, well, frigid out there."

She turned towards the furnace and closed her eyes, her shivering beginning to cease.

Hushed Star trotted along with a jolly pace through the snow. It had been a while since she'd been to her former home in the Foothills and she decided now was as good a time as any. No work was popping up, or no significant work, in Hoofington so a nice vacation in the Whitetail Woods was something that brought a little smile to Hush's restless heart.

Hush looked off over the hills as she adjusted the cloak that warmed her as the swirling wisps of cool white snow fell. It was a perfect winter scene to her. Not as pretty as the beach, though, but still a gorgeous sight. Off in the distance Hush noticed something. Billowing gray smoke and a golden glow from...a cottage of some sort?

"Interesting...This'll be fun!" Hush thought to herself with a grin. Another pony to amuse/ befriend.

Hush trotted up to the door of the shop and knocked a few times on the door. Whoever the pony was who owned this shop, she hoped he liked surprises...

Russet couldn't help but feel sorry for the pony who entered his forge just to get warm. Some ponies could handle the cold better than others he guessed. Well, it didn't hurt to have a pony there to keep him company.

"Well, Ah have not problem havin' a pretty mare keep warm here. Feel free to make yerself comfortable. This place here isn't home, but it is nice. Only one thing though. See that rope there? That's fer seperatin' the area fer the customers and the area that's mah forge, and I don't want you to git hurt from any of the hot metal or some rogue sparks, so if you would just mind that rope then things will be fine. Why you git a front row seat on me makin' somethin' today!"

As he was about to return to shaping the metal when he heard another pony knock.

"Looks like Ah'm gonna be more popular that a pie at a party today," he said with a chuckle as he opened the door to see who it was.

Hush stood there with a smile on her face as the door opened and a strong, handsome looking stallion answered the door. Hush blushed and stared for a moment into his eyes. They were somewhat enchanting and he was definitely a sight for sore eyes. Hush wasn't a total romantic, but she could tell when a pony was to her liking.

On the outside, anyway. She'd been wrong before.

But still, he seemed to have a glow to him and a down to earth look that made her heart smile. She wouldn't know until she had the chance t get to know him better, but still. Any friends of Hush were friends to be treasured and she hoped that they both would become at least acquaintances.

Hush quickly took out her notebook and pen from the bag she always carried on long journeys and quickly began to write.

Hello, sir!

My name is Hush and I think you're really handsome.

Anyway, I haven't been around these parts in awhile but I used lived here when I was a filly. I've gotten a little lost in this snow and need your help.

...and possibly some lodging.

Can I come in? I mean, for the night? Because it's cold?

Hush reviewed her words and mentally face hoofed. How dumb did you have to be to write something like that. Nevertheless, it would take to long to start over so she simply showed the page to the stallion and hoped he was the type to not worry to much about these things.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sorry about the wait.

As the one mare tried to warm herself, Russet met another mare who instantly blushed upon seeing him. Although modest about how he looked, deep down the stallion knew he was handsome by the way ponies, especially the mares, treated him when passing by. Admittedly he thought that the blushing pony standing there was very cute and had a sense of calm and happiness to her. Interestingly though rather than introducing herself like many ponies did she proceeded to write a greeting down, albeit with some hastily crossed off phrases that while trying to hide the truth the mare wasn't able to hide it completely from him.

"Well it is very nice to meet you Miss Hush. I'm Russet Apple, but you can call me Russet if you wish. And if Ah must say that since you were brave enought to admit your ffelings, Ah must say that you're a cute mare. Ah'm glad to meet a pony from around these parts as Ah too have grown up here all mah life. Ah'm not one to turn away any pony who needs help, so if you wish to, you can stay with me. Ah' mean you can at my house for the night."

Russet shook his head in embarrassment. Usually he was easily able to talk to ponies without stumbling over his words. With this pony however it felt like his mouth had a mind of its own. His only hope was that the pony standing before him didn't think he was a complete dunce.

Archived