Show a little kindness

ThinIce

Night Owl pulled her ragged scarf around her a little tighter and rattled the pretty much empty cardboard coffee cup as another businesspony rushed passed. "Freshly baked brownies, please- please.. buy one.." she mumbled, as he disappeared off into the falling snow. "Ahh," she grumbled, "I didn't waste the last few bits in my account for this!" she said through gritted teeth.

Night Owl had been kicked out of her motel for not paying her fee for the third night in a row, and in desperation had tried to do some hasty fundraising.

She breathed out through her nose, a puff of breath visible for a few seconds before fading into the darkness. The streetlight she stood under flickered for a second and then shorted out. Night hissed through her teeth and she put her head in her hooves. "Fantastic." she said to the icy darkness, looking into her saddlebag and rattling the three remaining bits in there. "What now?" she whispered to herself.

• 2 weeks later...

Parry Slice was trotting down the already dark street when the street lamp burnt out he had already seen the ragged pony with a scarf on when he heard her say "fantastic" and he made his way towards where her voice had came from he felt around until he found her when he felt her scarf he said "hey their, missy it's dark out and boxes aren't that reliable for shelter come with me"

Pink hooves clicked against the street as a mare made her merry way home through the cold night. Peppermint Winter buried her muzzle into her light blue scarf, embracing it's warmth and trying to make it to the little cottage that was across the neighborhood against a chilling breeze. Sometimes the weather irritated her so. She slowed down momentarily to take a glance at where a quiet, shaky voice emitted. A pony. No, two actually. Was the one holding such a cup be without shelter? Poor thing, Peppermint thought, hurriedly making her way over on shivering legs.

"What's going on here?" the mare bothered to ask, cocking her head slightly to the side in wonder. Her gentle blue gaze averted to Night Owl, and then to Parry Slice in curiosity.

Parry smiled at the pink Pony and answered "this poor miss seems to have nowhere to go saw her just before the light darn well shorted a fuse," he extended his hoof as a friendly gesture "the names Parry Slice, and your name?"

'Peppermint, Peppermint Winter." she stated, dipping her head in a polite gesture. The mare returned a look towards the pony whom Parry spoke of, one that was full of care and a bit of pity. She looked up at the broken light, seeming to be giving it a menacing glare as if it was it's own fault for flickering out. "These blasted lights never work."

/Eck low muse for posting >_<

"I'm Night Owl," she replied, navy locks covering half of her tired face. The wind picked up and ripped through her measly coverings.

"I was just trying to make a few extra bits before nightfall, but the dark comes so quickly in the winter," she explained through clattering teeth, avoiding both of the ponies eyes. "You know how it is right?" she said, laughing shakily, her hooves jittering in the cold.

"But you two should be getting out of the cold before you catch your deaths!" she said, eager for any excuse to get moving.

"I know how you feel Night Owl I was once like you, but still the streets are cold you should stead somewhere" Parry paused and his face took on a depressed look as if he had just remembered something that scared him in his younger times "I need somewhere to go too other than my caravan or an Inn, "hey Peppermint do you have any where to stay for the night either?".

"Well, I do, but it's quite a shabby little cottage." Peppermint answered, rubbing a hoof against her arm to the thought. "I wouldn't mind you two staying in for a day or so, if that's what you're asking." She did have some sympathy for Night Owl. She's never been pulled into a state of sleeping outside, but she knew such a thing was not enjoyable. Stone or dirt wasn't as soft as pillows, and it was terribly cold in the winter. As much as even the pegasus liked it herself, her wings could never bare flying her through the wind.

"Much appreciated Peppermint," Parry smiled and added "and yes that is what I am asking" he was happy he had somewhere to go other than the dank caravan he had it was full of cobwebs and water always leaked into the interior of it he shivered at the thought of sleeping in black mold and having water drop on his face as he slept.

Archived