A Tangent to the Royal Circle (Skype, In-progress)

Blueblood

It was probably nothing.

That was what Prince Blueblood had tried to tell himself when he'd heard about Princess Twilight's new student.  After all, she gave lessons regularly when her schedule allowed, right?  Community engagement, and all that.  Surely, this was just a matter of remedial studies...

Except, when Princesses took students, those students tended to matter in higher echelons of society.  And, in his position, the Prince could not ignore new developments in that sphere.

Hence, a trip to Ponyville.  It didn't take him long to find the cottage where this... Novaburst was staying.  Apparently, like Blue had suspected, he was one of several students Twilight had taken.  Well, best just drop by to make sure everything was all right...

And so, this morning, Prince Blueblood knocked upon his door.

~

The door opened and Blueblood could see all sorts of blueprints strewn across the floor, and stapled to the walls of the building.  In addition he could see several cups of coffee (empty) on the floor.   Prince Blueblood could also see Nova Burst was working on something, a mechanical device of some sort that had thin metal rods, and propeller like blades, and was attached to a saddle of sorts.    "Hello Prince Blueblood. What brings you to my humble abode?"  With that, Nova Burst knelt a little.  The Horn Surges were decreasing in frequency, but Nova Burst knew he'd have to exert will power to keep them under control still.

~

Ugh, what a mess.  Blueblood had known, and even befriended ponies with mechanical aptitudes, but none that let their workspace overtake their living space like a fast-growing mold.  He tried to keep his face from being too clear in its distaste; bad form when one was a guest.  And Nova did bow, at least.  Most ponies didn't when he walked into a room, so point there for him.

"Hello, well, I just sort of heard about you.  Got curious.  I like to keep on top of whoever's making attachments to the Royal Circle, don't you know."

~

"Well, given my situation was Dangerous to other ponies I had no choice but to seek out the help of the Princess of Friendship who is also a NATURAL when it comes to magic."   Nova Burst sighed.  Using a spell he quickly blasted all the coffee cups and levitated them into a trash can, and removed the blueprint  paper from the floors, and walls before sighing.  "All she's mainly been doing is helping me learn to control my magic which prevents barely controllable surges of magic that if left unchecked could hurt somepony."

~

Nova's outburst, both of voice and magic, caused Blueblood to back-step.  Perhaps he should have called ahead.  Yes, mental note, when visiting unstable magicians, give warning.

"Oh, er, right then."  Remedial stuff, as suspected.  Still, it would look pretty dumb if he left now.  "So, ah, besides that... what do you do?"

~

"Well,  look at this..."  Nova Burst gently levitated the saddle that had the propellers and thin metal rods.  "This is a device I'm working on that could benefit Earth Pony, or Unicorns as they wouldn't need to continually cast cloud walking, or flight spells on themselves.  I haven't yet figured out a way to power this device,  but it should give the Earth Ponies and Unicorns a bit of aerial capability. It's not as good as the wings of a Pegasi, nor as stable.  But it's a step in the right direction, I guess..."  said Nova Burst.  "During most of my time I invent mechanical devices."

~

Blueblood was... not a pony very interested in flight.  He had a bad head for heights, and thus rarely had a need for cloud walking spells.  And if he needed them, they weren't hard to get.

Inventing in general, though, he had a vague interest in.  He knew ponies in the field, and such.  "Power devices, eh?  Well, I suppose that's where you'll have to focus next.  Should make the rest of your work easier..."  He cautiously stepped closer to the workbench, looking for something in the blueprints that actually made sense to him.  "Ever done any nautical devices?"

~

Nova Burst smiled. "Yes, but the blueprint is around here... somewhere."  The entirety of the house was a disorganized and almost chaotic mess of blueprints, and living supplies. It would take an army of maids to clean it up well enough for a normal pony to find stuff because of the sheer amount of clutter.   The work bench did have a blueprint for a nautical device,  a sort of metal detector that could work under water but that was modified so it could detect not metal, but magical energy.   "An idea I worked on, if I ever wanted to go explore under water and look for any magical items in the future.  It can detect magical energy."

~

Blueblood shuddered to think what his head maid, a somewhat older mare with absolutely no nonsense about her, would do upon seeing this.  Nova would be hag-ridden up and down the walls for allowing his dwelling to get into such a state, and after the phalanx had swept up his resistance, an occupying force would be left to bully him into cleanliness in perpetuity.

Best not think about that.  Instead, he turned his thoughts to the metal-detector device.  "Oh?  Interesting... I don't have any submarines, though.  Always a little nervous about ships that sink on purpose.  And those that fly, for that matter."

~

Nova Burst smiled, but noticed Blueblood shudder a little. "So Prince Blueblood, why did you shudder just now? I'm sorry my place is a mess. I've been busy trying to make friends, invent, learn to control my magic. I've been so busy I've not had time to clean up properly. Had I known you were coming I would have cleaned up the place properly and made it look more presentable. "  There were strange glyphs of magical energy on the walls, and those would likely interest the Prince.   "Do you know what those glyphs are?"

~

"Oh, I was just... thinking, about something."  It would be hard for Blueblood to explain his imaginative ramblings to Nova; they were nowhere near that level of friend.

"No, I don't know much about glyphs, actually.  I suppose you're going to tell me?"

~

"Well, basically what they do is warn me the moment my horn decides it's time to unleash an uncontrollable burst of  magic, so I can warn everypony to get clear if they're inside my house."  A precaution Nova Burst had made after researching methods of alerting himself to the magical energy surges.  This was a way he could warn other ponies, and prevent them from getting hurt until he could stop the Bucking Surges once and for all. With time and effort eventually he wouldn't need the Glyphs. They were a better solution than his horn cover.  The Glyphs began to glow brightly as the conversation had distracted Nova Burst from controlling his magic as much as he should. A blast of energy shot out at Blueblood. Should it hit,  it would change the color of all the hair Blueblood had to a mix of violet and gold, something that would be easy to undo.  "WATCH OUT!" screamed Nova Burst, as the spell fired.

~

"Oh?  Oh..."  Blueblood began to inspect them a little more closely now.  Warnings of magical accidents... he'd experienced a few in his time.  Having an in-built warning system might prove very useful.  "So, are they general application, or do they just work for yo-"

Wait, why was that one glowing?  POP!  "YI!"  He felt the burst of magical energy hit him, with a tingling sting, filling his coat and mane with static electricity.  "Ah... ah... how... what?"  He reached up a hoof to pat down his unruly mane, and received a static shock.  "Ow!  Uh... do you have a mirror about?"

~

Nova Burst sighed and nodded before levitating a large mirror over to Blueblood so that he could look at the mirror, and see what the damage had been. Hopefully it wasn't too extensive. The surges were a problem Nova Burst needed to solve, and he needed to solve now. Sure his lessons with the Princess of Friendship were helping, but they weren't enough apparently. He'd need to find a way other than the Horn Cover to force his magic into submission to his own will which was that it WOULD NOT surge.    "Prince Blueblood. I'm so sorry. I'll accept whatever punishment you see fit for this.... mishap."

If Blueblood looked he could see his mane and coat were now a mix of violet and gold.

~

The Prince sucked in his breath through his teeth at first sight.  A shocking sight it was, at first, anyway.  In an attempt to relax and calm down, he brought a small brush out of his pocket, and worked on his mane.  There, no more dandelion on his head.

Now, let's get a look.  "Well... not the worst I've seen.  Not by a long-shot, actually.  At least I'm still the same gender."

~

"I'm sorry Prince Blueblood. I try my best to get those surges under control. Controlling them as you know can be rather difficult... at best..."  said Nova Burst. "I did whip up a device that for a time helped, but in the long run actually made the surges worse.   Is there any way I can make it up to you?" asked Nova Burst, lowering his head in shame at what he had done.

~

The Prince gave a deep sigh.  Three or four years ago, he would have been livid, calling for an extended stay in the dungeon, and all that.  But, after all that had happened to him, he at least got a little perspective.

"No, I don't suppose you could have helped it.  Unless you can program those glyphs to give more of a lead time."  He shook his head.  "Can you get my old colors back, or am I going to have to wait?"

~

Nova Burst looked at him. "I can try, Prince Blueblood. But it may sting a little..."     Nova Burst then materialized a book on how to counter bursts of magical energy for the inept Unicorn and fired a spell from his horn directly at Blueblood. But the glyphs on the wall glowed even more brilliantly.   For the spell had surged and gone wrong. Instead of it's intended purpose it would now cause all of his mane to fall out.   Reprogramming the Glyphs to give an earlier warning would be a wise idea.

"WATCH OUT PRINCE BLUEBLOOD. AVOID THAT BEAM!"

~

Blueblood stood still, and closed his eyes as Nova readied the counter-spell.  Thus it was that he missed the glowing of the glyphs, and the yell coming suddenly only served to paralyze him.  

"Eh, what?  OWWWW!"

That was not a mere sting, it felt as if his scalp was on fire!  "Augh... nngh,  I... don't think..."  He looked down.  Down at a puddle of golden hair.  Slowly, his pupils began to shrink, as his head rose to meet his gaze in the mirror.

Bald.  And purple.  He hardly even recognized his reflection.  "Ah... Ah... "  Heavy breathing.  His mane was a prize of his, lovingly conditioned and shampooed daily.  This...  this was a step too far!

~

Nova Burst knelt until his face was touching the floor in front of Blueblood. "I'm sorry Prince. I can't control my magical surges. It's why I train with Princess Twilight, to get the things under control. I'm learning some remedial magic, in hopes it may be enough to prevent what happened to you from happening to everypony I go around. Most of the time I can exert enough will power to keep any of my magic from coming out. But any time I use magic for prolonged periods, it seems to make the surges...act up.  Especially as I'm not anywhere near fully trained in my magical abilities.  So Prince Blueblood, I humbly await whatever punishment you see fit."    Nova Burst then held still, awaiting whatever punishment the Prince saw fit to mete out for his hair falling out, and the spell going  HORRIBLY wrong.

~

"Gai- gk, grk... grk... GAH!"  All the inbuilt rage and frustration had blocked up in his throat like a deviled egg stuck in a carburetor.  "YOU.  WILL.  FIX.  THIS!"  Blueblood was yelling, screaming, really, with the pitches he was vocally hitting.

He was in Nova's face, not really listening to explanations, nor caring.  "UNDO.  THIS."  He pointed at his own head, face a a rictus of fury.

~

Noticing the anger of Prince Blueblood, and his screams and yelling Nova Burst got frightened. Scaring Nova Burst was a bad idea on so many levels. For one thing,   Nova Burst was a Unicorn. For two, he possessed high levels of magical energy. And for three,  he barely had any control over said levels of magical energy.   This caused another surge. This surge however was not like the others. It was not a mild spell,  but a blast of energy. A blast of energy that would hit Blueblood with power akin to that of a Tazer, and give him a real shocking situation.

~

"AAAIIYYIIIEEEE!"  And that was a scream, no if, ands, or buts about it.  A very mare-ish scream, too; practically filly-like.  Still, given that he was point-blank to a burst of magical force, it probably wouldn't cost Blueblood his stallion card.

"Ah... ah..."  He lay in a heap upon the floor, but not for long.  Very shakily, he got to his hooves, rambling angry nonsense.  "ArgleflarglerackenhshmakenBUCKINGAAAAUHGG!"

~

As he rambled angry nonsense, Nova Burst took a deep breath and started to count to 100.  Once he had calmed down enough,  he rose and looked at Prince Blueblood. "Prince Blueblood your honor. I respectfully believe it would be in our best interests if we were to seek out a Unicorn, or someone who could help regrow your hair and return your color to normal, who was not ME.  For with my lack of control over my own magical ability... you might get tazed again, or your tail could fall out, or your coat.  So please,  allow me to help you find someone who can better resolve our current dilemma."

~

"Oh, Oh?!?"  He was still barely coherent.  "Oh.  That's.  RIGHT!  You.  Have.  Done.  E-bucking-NOUGH today!!"  The Prince slammed a still-shaking hoof onto the workbench, making this jump and slide about.

"You.  Will.  Go."  Blueblood was biting off every word, struggling to put a sentence together.  "I.  Am.  Not.  Going out.  Looking,  Like this."

~

Nova Burst's emotions were like the ocean, shifting constantly.   As he looked at Blueblood he felt sorry for the Prince. The prince had experienced the surges at one of their worst. Of course yelling at Nova Burst had made him lose control of his magical energy,  and taze him.   "I am truly and sincerely sorry My Prince. I will go around Ponyville, and look for a solution to your hygiene issues, so that we can have them resolved. "

~

The Prince's teeth were clenched, his body shaking with his own efforts to keep under control.  Not that blueblood's outbursts were as dangerous as magical ones.  Unless, of course, they happened next to a pony like Novaburst.

Still, one had to keep polite.  "You.  Go.  Do.  That.  Thank.  You."  Most grudging offering of gratitude in Equine history.

Archived