The Costume Conundrum [Closed]

303SeeOther

The exact details of Nightmare Night were somewhat lost on Yona. From what the young yak had gathered, there were three main facts. Firstly, everycreature was expected to dress up. Secondly, nobody was planning to do any homework whatsoever that evening. And thirdly, and this really was the most exciting thing of all, was that ponies were just leaving pumpkins out and about everywhere. Any holiday that encouraged leaving food out for wandering yaks was a holiday Yona could get behind.

The dressing up part, however, was a problem and so, after dispatching with yet another strangely carved pumpkin, Yona went dashing through the corridors of the School of Friendship in search of answers, help and yet more pumpkins. Although it was clear from the remains of devoured pumpkins left in her wake that her trek through the school building was perhaps motivated more by the hunt for pumpkins than the quest for knowledge. Via the library, along the corridor by the faculty offices, up the stairs, down the stairs, along another corridor, until finally she arrived - well, bursted into - in one of the common rooms she'd yet to investigate. Sure enough, it was decorated in the spooky style of the rest of the school, all in shades of orange and black, complete with pumpkins set out for yaks. Amongst all the autumnal colours, the blue and white Gallus stood out even more.

As if there was any chance Gallus didn't hear her coming, she trundled over towards the griffon, calling out at the top of her lungs.

"GALLUS! GALLUS! GALL-" there was a merficul pause in the din as she licked away some of the remains of a pumpkin from her face with a huge grin. This was shaping up to be a good holiday. "-Yona not sure why ponies leaving food for yaks, but Yona not complain."

81KtqmA.png

Gallus didn't dislike the pony holiday any more than he disliked any of the rest. If he were to be totally honest with himself he found it all a bit charming, but he was often less than honest with himself and afraid to admit as much. None of that meant that some aspects of it weren't a little silly. Why did they dress up? It seemed silly. He heard something or the other about Nightmare Moon and giving candy to her but they had to realize that wasn't true, especially now that Luna was active. Why all the spooky stuff? Random pumpkins? He didn't get it. He also didn't get the reason why they just had all sorts of free candies(if it was supposed to be tribute to Nightmare Moon why didn't the town just trek on over to whatever statue they had and leave it all there), but he wasn't about to complain about that. Any holiday that promoted free candy was a holiday he could support on some level.

Not enough to dress up, however. He viewed that tradition as a bit too silly for him. He'd wander around and give a sad, pleading look and get candy that way long before he decided to dress up as some insane profession. He saw somecreature dress up as a clown. A clown! Why would anypony want to be a clown, let alone pretend to be one? Some traditions didn't make sense and he didn't want them to make sense. He just wanted them to not involve him. So this year he didn't dress up at all. He did have an eyepatch on, but that was for a legitimate injury- he had flown into a doorknob while looking at something to his side. He wasn't sure it was entirely worth it, but it at least looked kinda cool. Plus he could come up with a better story on how he got it given enough creative time. 

He was just reading a book on Hippogriff body language and customs when Yona barged into the common room. Barged in, yelled, ate the decorations. Par for the course when it came to Gallus' most blunt and largest friend. “Well, I don't think they're meant to be eaten. They're decorations. You're just so big I don't think any of them are going to stop you,” he said with a laugh, subtly putting the book down and in the covers. “You seem to be enjoying the holiday enough. Get some candy already or are you filling up on pumpkins?”

jRqyrXS.png

At the revelation that the pumpkins that she'd been happily chomping were supposed to be some kind of decoration, Yona glanced behind her at the trail of pumpkin-devastation with slowly widening eyes. The fact that most of the insides of the pumpkins had been already scooped out did seem unusual, and maybe the strange faces and patterns carved into them perhaps weren't there to make them seem more enticing. After surveying the damage she'd done for an awkward few seconds, Yona turned her attention back to Gallus.

There was something different about him.

"No candy yet," she opted to dodge the question regarding pumpkins by simply ignoring it, instead opting to sit down in front of Gallus with a thump, "Yona tried but pony wanted to know what Yona dressed up as. Yona already dressed as best thing ever!"

Yona made a little huffing noise. Pumpkins were good, tasty, fun to eat, but it was still a poor substitute for sweet, sugary candy. It was, however, probably for the best that she'd not been given any, for the prospect of a hyperactive yak fuelled by sugary treats is not one most would want to consider.

The eye-patch! That was it.

"Why are you not out getting candy? Have costume and everything already! And clever costume too. Dressing as something scary. Like being poked in the eye with eye-poking stick."

81KtqmA.png

Gallus had to stifle a chuckle. He could only imagined a confused pony answering the door to a little yak eating pumpkins and wanting candy. He could also just as easily imagine Yona's annoyed and confused expression as she left, deadpan as it could be. And of course she was dressed as Yak and so was best thing ever, the old and reliable trait of almost all Yaks. It was a wonder she didn't have the candy by now! "Well, yeah. I guess we're supposed to be dressed up as characters or something. Maybe historical figures. Objects? Foods? I don't know if there are any real limits as long as you're dressed up as something you wouldn't normally be. It seems like a strange tradition," Gallus replied honestly, then shrugged, "but who am I to say? They have a lot of strange traditions but at least they have traditions. Can't say Griffons do anything similar. Do Yaks?" Gallus asked. He was a little curious of course but he played it off as just a natural part of the conversation. Au natural and smooth, like everything he did.

Then she asked why he was not out getting candy, mentioning his eye patch in the way only Yona could. Why wasn't he? Well, truth be told, he didn't want that much candy. Griffons didn't digest it as well as other creatures. That didn't mean he didn't want some of course- but this was a holiday that seemed all about excess. Still, he had an eye patch on. Why not use it? "Well, I wasn't really planning on heading out there. This isn't a costume- I hurt myself earlier. But..." he tapped his chin several times, "I mean, no reason to waste the eye patch. But that's all I'm doing. I can be a pirate, right? But what about you? If I'm going out I'm not going out alone. So I'm drafting you. What are you going as?" Gallus asked as his smile widened, though it was still more of a smirk. He could be extra lazy and just lay on her depending on what she is. Maybe she could e his pirate ship. Then again, she was covered in the debris of many destroyed pumpkins...

Archived