An unusal meeting (ATTN: Winter, PM to join all others)

Lux

(Hehe, alright)

"No, I can't say I have. I am not really a big reader... Although I guess I should be. I prefer informational texts with pictures... You know, like reference guides. They can be very helpful in learning new skills. I can't remember the last time I read fiction. So... Tell me, what is the Battle Mages series like?"

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"iIt's about these four unicorn ponies who each have a different power. One can teleport, one can lift and move heavy objects, one can heal, and one can turn invisible. They are all protectors of a kingdom and must defeat those who threaten it's safety. There's lots of action and magic in it. So That's where I thought about the whole armor thing."

"Ah, that sounds like an interesting series... Do you read a lot, Light?" Storm's imagination got to work and displayed an image before her of Light sitting in a room during a dark night with a little light floating and flickering above his head as he read a book below. She suppressed a smile and looked back at Guiding Light.

"Oh yes, I definitely like to read. Ever since I was a little foal, my parents would read me stories during bedtime. When I was old enough, I began to read by myself. I read fantasy books as well as history, science and magic. I also visit the library often. there are so many books there! I wish I had a place like that. Sometimes I read at night with my light spell, even though my mom tells me I should be in bed because growing colts need their rest."

"Oh, I see. The library... do you think you could take me there some time? I'm a bit new around here and definitely new in Ponyville; I'm still trying to work on mapping this place out in my head. I'd like to see what kinds of books they have on crafting here."

"Oh you'd love the librar here! It's a tree, not a tree house but actusally in a tree. Not sure how a library is made out of a tree though. But that place has hundreds of books. There should be something there about crafting."

"A library made out of a tree?! That must have taken a lot of hard work and time... or magic." Storm came from a background where she was born and raised with very little to no magic around her, so she was still a bit wary of it. Her home had always put value on hard work and dedication, but magic always seemed to make things too easy for her. "How do you think they made it?"

"I don't know," Light said, "The library has always been there for as long as I know. It looks like that the tree isn't getting hurt being made a house. I know the library didn't have anypony living there for some time until a few years ago."

Light then heard Storm mention magic. Any talk of magic was interesting to the colt, especially since he was just starting to learn about it. Every little bit of information could help him.

"So, do hippogriffs use magic much? I know unicorns do, and pegasus ponies I heard use magic with the sky and earth ponies with the land."

"No, not really... Griffons don't use much magic, only being able to stand on the clouds but not really shape them. I make up for that a little from my pegasus heritage... but not too much. The clouds poof when I try to move them too often, shaping them is a mess, and weather is out of the question. So I'd say hippogriffs don't have much magic, but..." Storm drew out the word "but" as she continued thinking of how she could best finish the sentence. "I'm the only one I've ever met! Maybe I just happen to be bad at it. Oh well... There are other ways to get things done."

"You're the only hippogriff," Light said in shock, "Isn't there some kind of place that a whole bunch of hippogriffs live, like how Cloudsdale has lots of pegasus ponies?"

Light couldn't believe that there was just one hippogriff. There was never one of something. The idea of something being one-of-a-kind didn't cross his mind.

"No, no, no, no, I know for sure there are others! There just isn't a place devoted just to us... and I haven't been lucky enough to meet any others yet." Storm responded quickly. "I'd really enjoy meeting another hippogriff. If I ever do I'll have to ask about magic, you've got me curious. I wonder if one that is a cross between a unicorn and a griffon would have a horn and be able to do lots of magic..."

"Hopefully you'll find another hippogriff," light said, thinking about how sad it would be if her were someplace where he was the only unicorn. That thought was unlikely as he knew his parents were unicorns and most places he knew haad at least a few others.

"What would a cross between a unicorn and a griffon be called? A unigriff?"

Light couln't help but laugh a little at how silly that sounded.

Storm giggled with Light. "It's funny how many different names there can be for things! I guess it matters more what you call yourself than what others call you, then." Storm paused a second before changing the topic, "Light, what hobbies do you have other than magic and reading?"

Light pondered what else he liked to do. "Well I like to go walking in the woods, but not the Everfree Forest. That place scares me. I got lost in there. I also like swimming and trying to draw although I'm not that good at drawing too much. What do you like to do other than craftind stuff?"

Storm laughed aloud. "I remember last time I was in the Everfree. I was going to gather some wood and wound up needing a little help. Luckily there were some stallions nearby willing to help." She pondered Light's question before answering, "Well, I like flying a lot. Flying near water is one of my favorite things to do. I also like exploring a bit, but I can't really go too far from home. I still need to keep up with my work."

"Well it was night, and it was cloudy so I couldn't see the moon. I was trying to get back home but I got lost and ended up going the wrong way and ended up in the Everfree Forest. I was lost there and got scared that I wouldn't see my friends and famliy. Suddenly, my magic happened and a ball of light appeared which I realized I made. That helped me light the way so I could get out of the forest and home. That's when Ir ealized that my cutie mark appeared."

"Seems a lot of ponies wind up in trouble in the Everfree. I'm glad you made it out alright. It speaks a lot for your special talent, you being able to light up your way out of there, especially as a little colt. Getting lost on the way home and winding up in the Everfree doesn't sound like a fun way to spend your night, though. Do you live by there?"

"I live in the center of town," Light said as he recalled the events of that night, "But I was at a friend's house. I thought I could just walk home but I got lost. My parents were worried sick when I didn't come home until later. Then when I told them, they were even more worried. They were happy though that I got my cutie mark, but it took several weeks until I could go outside at night."

"Ah, good. I bet they wouldn't want you getting lost again! Although, I'm sure you'd be much better at finding your way back if you ever took a wrong turn again with your special talent." Storm thought a bit more about the situation Light was in and continued, "Maybe a map could have helped, too. Do you know any good mapmakers around here? I might need one for myself... After we go to the library, of course!"

"A mapmaker? I don't think there's anypony here in Ponyville that can make one. i'm sure there are ones to borrow in the library though."

"I figured as much. I'll look for a mapmaker next time I go to Cloudsdale then. In the mean time, I'll keep my eye open for one down here, if you don't mind. If I can't find one, I'll have to add that to my list of things to search for once we get to the library. What are you looking for in the library?"

"Well when I go to a library I don't have a specific book in mind. I'm uusually looking for a fantasy book to read, or a book on magic. Recently I'm looking for books on light magic so i can improve my talent."

"That would make sense. I'll have to start reading more fantasy soon... Maybe the Battle Mages you mentioned? I could always get something like that with anything else that strikes my fancy. I hope you can find something good, too, once we get there. How far away do you think it is, Light?"

"Oh the library," Light said in response to Storm's question. For a moment he thought the hippogriff was just walking him home. Now he realized in their conversation, Light had convinced the pony to pay a visit to the library. "Sure we can stop there. It's actually on the way to my house."

Light led the hippogriff to the library which from the lights inside looked open.

The library was impressive, to say the least. It really was a living tree! It looked like the library resided in the tree's hollowed out trunk, which would seem unhealthy for the tree. However, this one was flourishing, growing very tall and having vibrant green leaves. This had to be the work of magic of some kind. "Well, it looks like it is open. Let's go in!" Storm said as she puffed up her chest, strode up to the wooden door, and knocked four times. "Hello? Anypony in there?"