Ones Own Black Heart

Neon Pop

·.·• Voodoo Romance •·.·

Petite hoofs trudged through the thick mud of the marshland as a one particular mare rummaged about in the fields around her home. Basket in her mouth, mane tied to a messy knot, tail dragging on the waters. This unicorn was on a mission today, like most days. She usually spent her mornings and late nights collecting plant life or some times, creatures for her concoctions. It was a simple mushroom today, one that grew on the trunks of trees near the water level, where moisture was easy access. Plain white though spotted brown, it was a key ingredient for a cough suppressant, since today... *coughcough*, and the basket fell in the water. The Voodoo sighed and stared at the now sinking mushrooms with an overly dead pan expression. Take a deep breath and...!!

Dive her head in. One bye one she collected the escapee shrooms and managed to slip them into the basket and scoop it out of the water. Her face now soaked, and basket draining, she made her way to the nearest tree cluster and spotted what she needed. The basket shimmered in black and lifted from her mouth as she leaned in and gently plucked the fungus from the bark and plopped it in the wicker basket. With a sigh, and another cough, she took hold of the handle in her mouth and trudged away back to her home, which was built on stilts and creaked.

It didn't take her long to get to her home and shop, and it was clear just what she sold here, just by looking at the outside. Bird wings and insects, beaks, claws, rat tails, skulls of some sort, and inside, well. All kinds of bubbling bottles and brews, all of different colors, there were shelves with different labels, and tables topped with her 'lab' as some would call it. It was a small place, dark damp wood, silky sheets on the walls and counters to at least make the place a little more welcoming. and in the back was a small kitchen, and a bed. It seemed Voodoo liked to live a simple life.

Coughing again her horn glowed black, carrying the mushrooms to the cutting board for her, so when she was done cleaning off at the door, she could start chopping them up. She was just thankful it was a slow day, as usual, and no customers were here to see her ill. Well, she was hoping anyway, fate always did have a way of slapping her in her face when it needed.

As fate would have it, Voodoo Romance would get a special visitor that day, though the visitor's trek would be weeks in the making. Rose Madder had heard stories of the daughter of one of the authors she loved to read growing up, who'd set up shop in a marsh far to the west of Canterlot, a mystic who gave ponies their hearts desire, or so they thought. As Rose had read somewhere, she gave ponies what they wanted, not what they needed. After hearing such a colorful series of tales, how could Rose not be interested in meeting this mysterious mare?

Getting a ride to Fillydelphia was the easy part. The hard part was travelling through Neighples Marsh, following the sketchy-sounding directions that were given to her by Voodoo's not-so-satisfied customers. She came prepared, though, bringing rations and galoshes and books on the local terrain. It took days for her, longer than she expected, thanks to getting lost a few times, but she finally found a small cottage in the middle of the marsh. The decor was simply rapturous; the outside was decorated with desiccated animal parts, and she thought she could spy a few bubbling brews and potions through the windows.

Then she caught sight of the owner, a purple and black unicorn wearing the most beautiful gothic outfit that Rose Madder had ever seen! If Rose was a filly fooler, she would have fallen in love right then and there. She trotted into sight and smiled at her new friend. "Voodoo Romance, I presume?" she asked, playing it cool as per usual.

• 1 month later...

·.·• Voodoo Romance •Ã‚·.·

When the bell at her door sounded, her dark head lifted to see just who had entered. Another mare, a customer, and a sweet yet alarming smile crossed her lips. Those lavender eyes batted with heavy lashes and the black aura around her horn vanished, causing her knife to stop cutting. "Yes, yes it is. Welcome to Black Hearts~ I see you have something in mind today. Other wise you would not have made the trek here. Please, take off your boots, sit, talk, and I will make you some tea~"

Voodoo's voice was like silk, sweet for her customers, relaxing, soothing and oddly alluring. She knew how to work her position, she knew just how to treat the type of people that come in to her place looking for that... 'quick fix'. "So what is your name?" The dark mare asked as she walked off to her little stove and lit it with her horn, making the burner bright with flame. A kettle floated out of the cabinet, over to the sink where it filled up with water and was nicely placed upon that small fire upon the stove. "Would you like a towel at all?"

So many questions, but yes, it was necessary to keeping her new customer comfortable and open up to her. After all, she nearly worked like a psychiatrist.

Rose beamed when Voodoo welcomed her inside. "Oh, why thank you!" she said, pulling off her galoshes at the door and setting them just inside her friend's humble abode. "I'd love some tea right about now. It's been too long since I had anything sophisticated to drink. You weren't an easy pony to find!"

She was glad that Voodoo had proved to be inviting and friendly, but at the same time, maybe she was a bit too inviting. As ridiculous as it was for her to admit it, Rose did find herself a bit on edge thanks to the reputation that Voodoo had gathered, the same reputation that made her spend days looking for her in the first place. She didn't think that Voodoo was intending to bewitch her or turn her into soup or who knew what else; she wasn't that ignorant. But she knew that Voodoo bestowed karmic retribution upon people who asked her for magical curealls, and just because Rose didn't want something else didn't mean she was beyond reproach. Maybe Voodoo didn't like having her time wasted.

"I'm Rose Madder," Rose replied, sitting down on a wooden stool. "And yes, I could probably use a towel. I tried to keep as dry as I could on the way, but that's easier said than done when you walk through a swamp." Some water had managed to splash over the top of her galoshes and soak into her hooves, which felt a bit cold and pruny. The scent of Voodoo's tea smelled pretty decent, but Rose couldn't place the variety. It felt like she was taking a gamble drinking from it; tea remained a hit-and-miss subject for her, and if she didn't like the tea, she'd have to conceal that fact from Voodoo.

Speaking of gambles, she thought she'd best get her reason for visiting out of the way. "This may sound a little weird to you, but I'm not actually looking to make use of your services," Rose admitted. "I've heard how those stories end, anyway, and that kind of got me curious about you. I think we've got a lot in common."

Now Rose thought that she might be the one putting Voodoo on edge. Hopefully she didn't come across as too much of a fanfilly there.