[Fluttershy's Cottage] Advice Pony

Inkwell

All things considered, Inkwell's first night drinking didn't go as bad as he thought it might. He didn't do anything embarrassing while drunk, at least not beyond crying, and thanks to his friend Dio's advice, he didn't have to deal with a huge hangover or anything like that. He woke up the next morning in his own apartment, alone, feeling no worse than average and considerably less weepy.

That said, the problem of Rarity still dwelt on his mind. As far as he knew, she still hated him for making her sister cry, the exact opposite of his desired result. He needed to make a formal apology to her and try to get another chance to connect with her. But how? He only got a fleeting impression of her from that one time in her shop, and that wasn't as revealing as he would have liked. Plus he wanted to give her a gift to sweeten the deal, but he didn't know what she'd like.

That's why he decided to ask a friend of hers. From what he'd heard around town, a pegasus named Fluttershy seemed the best bet; the two of them made weekly spa visits, and Rarity frequently trusted Fluttershy to groom her cat. As Inkwell found out on his way there, Fluttershy lived in a quiet, pastoral cottage just beyond Ponyville's western outskirts. It looked like a nice place to live, with tasteful decorations and a great pastoral ambiance to it. There seemed to be an awful lot of wild animals around there, too. They frolicked around in the open, a few of them stopping to look at him as he approached the front door.

He stopped, took a breath, and knocked, waiting patiently for an answer.

Fluttershy had been spending her morning as she usually did, taking care of the animals around her home. She'd just finished feeding the mice that lived in her home when she heard the knock at the door. 'Oh, just a moment,' she called out softly, placing the last piece of cheese by the mouse hole. It was probably one of her friends coming by to see her.

When she opened the door however she blinked, seeing a pony she was sure she didn't know. Or if she did, she had forgotten and that would have been really rude.

'Oh, good morning, can I help you with something?' She smiled politely to her guest and stepped to the side so he could come in if he wanted. 'I hope I'm not being rude but, have we met before? I'm terribly sorry if we have, but I just don't remember you. So perhaps we haven't, which would be much better than me forgetting.'

Inkwell looked at the open doorway, then at Fluttershy, then at the doorway again before realizing the implicit invitation to come inside. He wiped his hooves on the mat and settled in, taking a seat on the floor. The furniture there looked nice and simple, or at least the furnishings that were strictly for ponies did. There were all sorts of little climbing paths and such for little animals adorning the walls. Interestingly enough, it looked like one of the endtables had been glued back together after a bad break.

"This is our first meeting," Inkwell admitted. "My name is Inkwell, and I can only assume you're Fluttershy. I've heard you're great friends with Rarity." He fidgeted just thinking of her. "And, well, I'd like to be friends with her, too. But I think I blew my chance at it yesterday." What to say next? "Not that you're not worth making friends with either, it's just that she's an artist and I'm an artist and I thought we'd have a lot in common..."

'Oh, yes I'm Fluttershy. It's nice to meet you Inkwell,' she smiled as she shut the door once he was inside. It was always nice to meet new ponies. 'And yes, Rarity and I are very good friends. We meet at the spa for weekly outings. She likes the pampering a bit more than I do, but it's still nice.'

She walked over toward where he'd seated himself and took a seat across from him. Always the good listener, Fluttershy just listened as Inkwell explained why he came looking for her.

'Blew your chance? Oh dear, did you accidentally get something of her's dirty? She can be upset about that but usually it blows over.' She frowned lightly and then shook her head. 'Well I'm sure if you just apologize it'll be okay. Rarity is very nice, just a little um... high strung?'

"No, that didn't happen," Inkwell said, shaking his head. "Wait, no, it did happen, but it wasn't my fault. Well, Rarity's sister and her little pegasus friend made a bit of a mess coming in, she was dripping with mud and Rarity was starting to freak out so they started getting a mop but they spilled the water all over. I was handling it pretty well until it got on my sketchbooks, which is when I yelled at them to get out. I thought that would give me time to fix everything the right way and leave me and Rarity to talk uninterrupted, but it just made her sister cry, and then she kicked me out."

He suddenly stopped and stared into space for a second, then groaned and rubbed his forehead with a hoof. "Oh dear. I just realized that I left my sketchbook at the boutique. I hope it's not in any worse condition than it was when I dropped it.

"You're right, I'm sure that if I apologize she'll be willing to give me another chance. But..." He seemed to struggle for words. "I made that poor filly cry, and I want to make it up to them. I think I'll paint them a picture. Do you think they'd like that?"

Fluttershy listened carefully as Inkwell explained his problem. She could see why he was looking for advice, it sounded like there was just a lot of chaos in his attempt to meet Rarity. The best she could do was try to encourage him to give it a second chance. Surely her friend had calmed down now and apologizing would help smooth it all over.

'Hmm, I see why you are worried she might not like you. But it also sounds like the whole thing was just a big mess. I'm sure Sweetie Belle just got startled when you yelled. She is a sensitive little foal. And if there was mud and dirt all over the shop then Rarity was probably already feeling really stressed.'

As he mentioned a painting the shy Pegasus nodded. 'Oh I'm sure they would like that a lot. Perhaps you can paint them a picture of um... well... let's see...Rarity likes fashion and gems, and Sweetie Belle likes the things her sister likes. Do you paint ponies? Maybe you could paint them together. I bet they would like that. A gift from one artist to another.'

Fluttershy explained away the bad feelings Inkwell thought Rarity had towards her, and also gave her little sister a name: Sweetie Belle. As he watched her talk, the artistic part of his brain went into autopilot and started breaking down her body into simple shapes and lines. He especially took note of her eyes, which had a different shape than those of most of the other fillies he'd met in Ponyville. He'd have to try and draw her as soon as they finished talking about Rarity.

"Thats sounds like a great idea!" he told her. A simple scene of Sweetie Belle helping Rarity with her work and not ruining anything! "I'll get to work on it right away. Wait. No, there is one more thing I need to ask you. Do you think it would work better if it were a surprise or if I had their input on it while I made it?"

• 2 weeks later...

It always made her happy when she could help others. And Inkwell's mood seemed to brighten just by the suggestion of what he could give to Rarity and Sweetie Belle as a peace offering. She just knew her friend wouldn't hold a grudge and as soon as he apologized and things were worked out, she was sure they could become friends as well.

'Oh... well...' As he asked for her opinion on rather to make it a surprise or get the input of the two sisters, she had to think. 'I'm sure they would love a surprise but I'm sure they would love to watch as well. I think either way would make them happy.'

She paused for a moment in thought and then suddenly got an idea, 'Oh, but doing it with them there might be really good!' she exclaimed before hushing her voice again a little embarrassed at the small outburst. 'I... I mean because Sweetie Belle likes artistic things like her sister's work. And since she's still looking for her special talents... maybe seeing another artist at work would inspire her to look at what she can do a little closer.'

Fluttershy's words gave Inkwell pause for thought. Like him, she couldn't decide on which option to take. They both appealed to him quite a bit. He also managed to crack a smile when Fluttershy acted embarrassed at raising her voice. She raised a good point about Sweetie Belle getting inspiration from his work. He wouldn't mind showing little foals how his drawing process worked.

"Well... maybe I could do both!" he said, getting an idea. "I'd surprise them with one painting, then offer to show Sweetie Belle how my art works. I think we'll see how it goes from there."