Martial Mares and Serene Stallions

Gerrard

"And the meanie called me a stupid blank flank. What do I do Miss Asty, they are so mean," a young filly wept in a clearly distraught voice, her blue eyes red from crying as she sat at the black hooves of a stoic looking unicorn mare. The earth pony child was having a bad day in her orphanage, the other children deciding to tease her, for not discovering her special talent. After running into the local park, she spotted one of her few friends, a strange unicorn who donated goods and toys regularly to the understaffed orphanage in Fillydelphia.

The black unicorn mare paused for a moment to examine the wailing of her little friend. Her naturally red eyes looked the scene over carefully and could detect that the pony was indeed crying with the most sincere tears she could probably muster. Asteria blinked her eyes as she thought the situation over, her tall cloaked form lightly shifting beneath her cloak as she thought up a rationalization to make to her younger counterpart. "Lady Sapphire, the children tease you because they are insecure about their own abilities. Some fear that you may be assigned a more diverse set of skills than them and they believe that you are currently less skilled than them. Their estimation is poorly conceived though because your innate skills are currently undefined, giving you unlimited potential until the parameters of your skills are more clearly defined," she explained in a rather objective manner, not exactly stating that the earth pony was superior or inferior to her mean peers.

This explanation served only to further confuse the young filly, causing her to weep at an even greater degree. "But what do I do about it. They never stop teasing me," she snorted in a sad tone, not sure of what to do about the other children. Asteria blinked, not one manipulate the actions of others herself. "Lady Sapphire, if you rationalize that their words lack no merit, they can cause you no harm. They would simply be lying and such actions would eventually discredit themselves. If you seek additional protection from their words, you would need to ask for the assistance of other adults," the black mare explained calmly to Sapphire, her words ringing true, but in such a manner that were not the most comforting.

"You don't understand! You're just like them, everyone says to go to an adult but they never do anything. You don't really care about my problems!" the young filly screamed into the ear of Asteria before running back to her orphanage, still crying as she did so. The black mare didn't as much as flinch at the scream, standing up as her young friend fled for home. Asteria's eyes traced the movements of Sapphire, seeing that she was safely returning to her home. "Perhaps I have been ignorant of the needs of young children, perhaps it is inconsiderate to believe that others can adapt to situations in a manner that worked specifically for me. I need the opinion of an objective third party to assist in my diagnosis of her treatment," she reasoned in her mind, Asteria lightly dusting off her cloak with magic as she left the park and entered the vibrant city.

The unicorn felt that her response was partially responsible for the outburst caused by the child and she felt that it was necessary to find assistance for the filly within the city. Of course this lead to another question in the mare's mind, who in this town was qualified to teach self defense tactics to a filly. After roaming the city streets in the twilight of the evening, the black mare came upon a flyer for a dojo that helped orphans on the edge of town. The stoic unicorn took a long trip into a mountainous area near town and spotted his dojo. Luna's moon was not out that night, Asteria unable to make out any of the fine details of the manner as she approached the entrance. She knew that martial arts taught self discipline and tactics for defending one's self, the stoic mare carefully knocking on the door of the dojo. She hoped that whomever answered would be able to assist her in the tutoring of her young friend.

The young master was enjoying his nightly tea in his study. The orphans next door were all asleep and the help left for the night. The night was dark and the glory of Luna's moon was hidden. Sad, he wanted to walk his garden tonight. Lantern light only reveals so much. Moonlight reveals much of the natural beauty and vastness of his oriental sanctuary. He sighs after a sip of his tea. Suddenly he hears a knock at the door. [colour=#FF8C00] "Hmmm... who could be visiting at this hour? Oh well, the night has only just begun. Some company would be welcomed regardless." [/colour]He stands and makes his way through his home to the door. He opens and finds and hooded mare standing before him in the darkness. Her red eyes stand out immediately. This would probably scare most ponies away but Mustang feels comfortable with this mare. He can sense that her soul is kind and her intentions are courteous.

[colour=#FF8C00]"Why hello there, mam. May I help you?" [/colour]he asks in a very kind and polite tone of voice.

The crimson eyed mare looked over the appearance of the martial artist, her eyes recognizing his robes before she knelt down on one knee, lowering her head to him in a subservient manner. "I have come to you for assistance in the teaching of a young orphan. I have been told that my methods are inadequate and I seek additional advice to help me better prepare the youth for the rigors of life. May I implore you for assistance Master. I am Aseria Stillheart, courier of Canterlot humbly asking for your guidance," the tall unicorn replied in the most modest of manners. She was not familiar enough with the arts to determine his rank by his garb and decided to treat him as a master regardless.

Her long black horn glowed a dark red as her magic envelops the cowl and lowers it to reveal her stoic face to him. While it is dark outside, it is easy to see from the light of his home that she is a mare with a coat of darkest night. Her head is accented with a short cut scarlet mane that is kept out of her vision in the most utilitarian of manners. The mare patiently kept her head down in a submissive manner as she awaited a response from him, clearly having no desire to rush the patient stallion.

• 2 weeks later...

The young master was honored to be treated with such respect but he was never really big on formalities; Brew actaully found it amussing. He looks at her and smiles with a soft and light-hearted laugh. He bows slightly. [colour=#FF8C00] "Ah, I see but rise, mam. No need for such formalities... Ms. Stillheart was it? Please come in, come in."[/colour] He motions her inside. His home looks very contemporary and yet very exotic (asian). Various paintings decorate the walls. He leads her to his study and urges her to sit down across from him. [colour=#FF8C00]"Please sit, make yourself at home. Would you care for some tea? I just brew some."[/colour] he asks invitingly. The stallion seems to have a constant smile across his face. It's been a while since he had company besides the orphans here and his students. He stands at her side awaiting her answer.

The mare listened patiently as he spoke to her, expression unchanging as he told her to rise. Asteria carefully rose to a normal posture, and looked across to him. Her eyes attempted to examine him closer as she followed him into his contemporary home. "Yes, Stillheart. May I ask for a name or title to call you sir, I don't wish to disrespect you in any way," she explained calmly to him, not wanting to insult him as her eyes slowly drift to look at the inside of his house. They looked over every detail of his home, almost seeming to scan his every belonging has her mind cataloged everything of importance in the residence. Her stoic expression remains completely static as she finishes her examination, her thoughts masked behind her calm face as he gestures for her to sit down.

"Thank you for the seat," Asteria replied simply as she took a seat in his home. "I will graciously accept your offer for tea, assuming of course that it isn't troubling," she replied politely, the mare always seeming to go out of her way to avoid insulting the sensibilities of the young master. "I graciously accept your hospitality, and hope that my presence is not bothersome. I was asked by an orphan about strategies for dealing with bullies, and she declared that my help and reasoning was insufficient. I explained that bullies are simply looking to divert the negative attention away from themselves onto another while they compensate for a personal failing of their own. When I explained that their words are meritless, the orphan disagreed and left my presence as she returned to her current residence," she explained in an objective manner, the unicorn doing her best to not claim that either side was correct in the matter.