[Trottingham] Drifting Through (Closed)

TheInvisiblePony

Silver Lining awoke to find herself on a cloud. Not that she had opened her eyes yet, she had just awoken to feel the familiar texture underneath her. Still a little sleepy, she stretched her legs before standing up and looking at the familiar Cloudsdale skies...

[colour=#696969]"This isn't Cloudsdale..."[/colour]

Silver looked around, and saw no cloud city nearby, so she looked down. Indeed, below her was the city of Trottingham. To no pony in particular, she muttered [colour=#696969]"Oh dear. Well, looks like I'm on vacation!"[/colour] With a happy little smile, she began to push the cloud as far down as she dared so as to avoid suspicion then she gently flew down to the ground. Nervously, she touched the earth and made a few unsteady pats at the dirt on the road. Not entirely certain of its solidity, but content enough as is, Silver happily shook her already messy mane, before setting down the road at a slow pace.

It wasn't that she wasn't concerned that she had drifted all the way to a different city, and the ground still made her nervous (still too earthy), but she was never one to waste an opportunity. Besides, she barely knew what was around Trottingham. Why not find out?

Looking at some of the various stores and what not, Silver trotted around until she came an interesting looking jewelry store. Everything certainly looked well made, and she found herself staring absent-mindedly into the display window. Figuring that was sign enough she should check it out, Silver contentedly opened the door (after puzzling briefly over a door not made of clouds) and stood by the door briefly.

[colour=#696969]"Hello?"[/colour]

Hope Locket had just finished putting out her last piece of jewellery, a solid bracelet of silver and bronze that shimmered like a sunbeam through a cloud. The call of a pony by the door caused her to look up, a smile lighting her features at the newcomer. It was an odd sight for the unicorn mare to see a pegasus, though not an unwelcome one. Rose eyes settled upon the sunshine coat of the pegasus and wonder filled her anew. The pegasi she had seen were always so pretty, fitting in with the clouds and sky as was their standard. She looked down at her own burnished gold coat and, for the first time in her life, wished she could be as pretty as the mare before her.

"[colour=#FFD700]Welcome to Hope's Locket! How can I help you today?[/colour]" She asked, a bit more cheerfully than what the early morning actually called for. She had to ignore her own envy, putting on her best salespony smile.

Silver looked towards the direction of the voice, only to see a Unicorn. She looked at her, and first of all noticed her toned down coat, and figured that those colours worked quite well for a mare running a jewelry store. Indeed, that worked better than most. She might have spent a while dwelling on the subject, had she not had a question to answer. Indeed, for a brief moment, she acted as though she hadn't heard it in the first place. Silver realized she must have still been a little tired, but regardless, she answered contentedly.

[colour=#696969]"Well, I'm not sure. That would depend very much on what help you're willing to perform. May I presume you own this establishment?"[/colour] She paused for an inquisitive moment, before carrying on [colour=#696969]"If so, I should probably tell you that your display window is quite eye-catching, but I digress. I can't say I know my way around jewelry, so if it wouldn't be too much of a bother, do you mind if I just browse for a little while?"[/colour]

Silver flashed a quick smile, and waited for a response. She figured it would be best not to make to much motion before any sort of reply.

Hope nodded in response to being asked if she was the owner of the store. She tipped her head to the side for a moment, a delighted smile finally settling on her.

"[colour=#FFD700]Of course you can! Browse for whatever you may like...and if you have a question, I can answer it. Thank you, also...nopony has ever told me my display was eye-catching before.[/colour]" She beamed, stepping behind the counter to wait as patiently as she could for more questions from the pegasus.

Silver raised an eyebrow at the shopkeeper's - presumable a Hope Locket - reply to her apparently unique eyebrow. She didn't comment on it, just as she just found it amusing she had stumbled upon the first of something. Taking the invitation to step inside, Silver nodded politely and did exactly that. From there, she made a quick look around some of the nearer stands and species of jewelry, and while she could tell they were well crafted, she had little to no expertise in the field of jewelry. That is too say, she didn't know what would look nice on her or not, but she figured some sort of idea would come to her eventually.

As she stared at another piece mentally she went off on a tangent, trying to imagine what it would be like making jewelry. Probably difficult, although it was fairly exempt from change once it was finished, unlike the clouds she sculpted with; those were liable to drift apart at a moments notice. Wistfully, she spoke up. [colour=#696969]"It certainly must be nice working with something that's so stable. I imagine this right here" [/colour]she gestured towards the particular adornment she was staring at [colour=#696969]"Must last quite a while if well looked after. Nothing at all like working with clouds." [/colour]She continued browsing, quickly moving past her day-dream like comment, not really explaining much beyond what she had already said.

• 2 weeks later...

Hope grinned at the observation, a wry look in her eyes as she watched the pegasus browse.

"[colour=#FFD700]If well tended, all things can last. Clouds, metals...it's all in the pony's outlook on things. Take this bracelet...somepony shaped the clouds right a few days ago and inspired this...[/colour]" She said softly, indicating the silver and bronze sunbeam braclet that she had displayed closer to herself. She kept a patient eye on her customer as she looked at all the pieces, a lightbulb going off inside her head.

"[colour=#FFD700]I wonder how it would look on a pegasus? Especially one as pretty as you![/colour]" She burst, the words coming before she realized what she had done.

Silver perked up quite curiously at the comment, taking it in for a few seconds with a blank look on her face. After a slight stare, she chirped in happily [colour=#696969]"Its very possible that I could have inspired that. I have't really met anypony else who sculpts clouds."[/colour]

Staring happily, she more or less glossed over the comment on her looks, as she was more happy that she could have possibly inspired another pony. After all, it did certainly look nice, so she supposed Hope must be quite the artisan. Moving her gaze, she started looking at the piece in question, she continued a thoughtful stare, wondering several things about it. Chief among the thoughts were if she would like it seeing as how she wasn't one to really wear jewelry. Of course, she had never really tried it out, so she reasoned she very well could love wearing it as well. With that decision in mind, she nodded decisively and turned back to Hope.

[colour=#696969]"I'd be absolutely happy to try it on, if only to appease your curiosity I certainly think it does look nice."[/colour] Smiling quite happily, she noticed a tuft of her already messy mane had managed to find its way directly in her eyesight. Absentmindedly,she focused on it just long enough to blow it out of her face before reverting back to a happy grin.