(Everfree Forest) Into the Dark Wood (open to all!)

RarityDash

[colour=#339999]"Let us now recall the not so long ago day~♪[/colour]
[colour=#339999]Celestia's sun shone bright as the ponies did play~♫
All was quiet and all was calm in fair Ponyville~♪
Yet when night did fall, it brought with it great ill~♫
Nightmare Moon's arrival heralded night time eternal~♪
And so Equestria did come to fear a lifetime nocturnal~♫
Hope it was soon lost for each stallion and mare~♪
Until six stepped forth to throw off the fiend's snare~♫
Into the Everfree forest these brave fillies did ride~♪
Determined to find a means to change the grim tide~♫"[/colour]

[colour=#000000]Eerie sounds abounded in the dark depths of the Everfree forest as they ever did. In one small section of the dark woods, however, these sounds were drowned out by the honeyed sounds of a lyrist, singing and playing at her lyre. She was Lyra Hearstrings, and in truth she had no real purpose in coming to this fearsome place. She had been strumming her lyre somewhere at the outskirts of Ponyville, when her eyes fell upon a beautiful large bird she hadn't ever seen before. On a whim, she had decided to follow it, even as it ventured into the forest. [/colour]

[colour=#000000]Unfortunately, she had quickly lost sight of the fair bird. She had started to play and sing in an effort to maybe bring it back to her, but it proved to be in vain. Thinking she might stumble upon it again and propelled by her wanderlust, Lyra trekked deeper in, playing and singing as she ambled along. She remained focused mainly on her song, not paying her surroundings very much mind. Music had a way of capturing Lyra's mind, wresting it away from where it should be. At that moment, practicing her lyric recounting the tale of the arrival of Nightmare Moon at the Summer Sun Festival was what had her attention. [/colour]

[colour=#339999]"The villainous mare appeared to disparage and deceive~♪
But not one of these brave six from her duty did weave~♫
Friendships did blossom amid those dark hours~♪
And yet all looked lost to Nightmare Moon's powers~♫
The six Elements of Harmony then did come to appear~♪
And with their strength the six cast off the shadow of fear~♫
Nightmare Moon was gone, a thing of the past~♪
And sweet Princess Luna was herself again at last~♫
The long day it was won and all was set right~♪
Once more Equestria could enjoy Celestia's light~♫"[/colour]

[colour=#000000]As she finished her song, Lyra put her lyre aside for a moment.[/colour] [colour=#339999]"Huh...?"[/colour] [colour=#000000]she started as she looked around, taken aback by what she found. It was dark and she was surrounded by rather spooky looking trees. Fear crept onto the mare's face in the form of a too-wide grin as for a brief moment she wondered if the Nightmare Moon from her song had somehow returned. Her knees trembled and nearly buckled as she soon realized she was just deep in the Everfree forest, not that that was any the more fortunate. She had really wandered too far this time. Gah... what would Bonbon say? She was sure she'd poke fun at her. She always was so absent minded, getting roped into trouble like this.[/colour]

[colour=#000000]The howl of timberwolves in the distance struck her ears then.[/colour] [colour=#339999]"Ahh!"[/colour] [colour=#000000]Lyra started, her eyes flying wide open. She needed to get out of here. She started to back up slowly, not sure just how close the danger was. Then all at once, she turned around and began to rush ahead at full gallop in the direction she had come. Her escape was abruptly impeded however, when she crashed headlong into something and was thrown forcefully back. [/colour]

[colour=#339999]"Ugh... er..."[/colour] [colour=#000000]Lyra started in mild pain from the ground, struggling to lift herself back up. Only then did her eyes trace forward and she came to notice that the object she had collided with had hooves as she did.[/colour]

[colour=#339999]"Oh,"[/colour] [colour=#000000]she started blankly before, forming a full smile.[/colour] [colour=#339999]"Sorry about that, I didn't know anypony was there. I'm Lyra,"[/colour] [colour=#000000]she said with awkward enthusiasm as she lifted her head to examine this other pony.[/colour]

[colour=#d3d3d3]It was the singing that caught his attention - there weren't many things that spoke in the everfree forest, and fewer still that could carry a tune that wasn't simply birdsong. The rythmic playing that accompanied it was unfamiliar, certainly, though it tugged at his cerebral flesh like so many tiny little tweezers. And so, distracted from his nocturnal search of budding herbs and thawing plants, the coal-coated transient allowed himself to be entranced by the carried tune, his hooves quietly carrying him closer, his horn's glow coming to a dim, and finally ceasing altogether as he snuck closer. [/colour]

[colour=#d3d3d3]A few thoughts crossed his mind as to what it could be - mythical creatures weren't entirely out of the question here, or so he assumed. Perhaps it was some sort of nymph, or a siren seeking out what few animals it might entrance. ...would he be allowed to suspect such things if it were a spell being placed upon him? A peculiar thought, if not a touch macabre. Either way, it warranted investigation - investigation of things strange and unexplored was, after all, his reason for living there, and thus it was not likely he'd let an opportunity for study pass. It only struck him as he came closer still that this might not be anything magical, mystical or extraordinary at all - in fact, it rather began to sound like a pony. A talented pony, and a rather stalwart one at that, but a pony nevertheless. One which, he considered with a touch of bitter resentment, would likely need to be guided back to her home; the timberwolves were active, and while he knew some ways of evading them, not everypony was fortunate (or unfortunate) to have his experience or his aerthic expertise (such as it was).[/colour]

[colour=#d3d3d3]Then came the howl - a terrible, rasping sound, but one that would give warning. This was a bad place to be, and it was only becoming more and more apparent. However, his ears were not the only ones working, and there was the sound of commotion - hooves clattering against roots, rock and dirt, the sound of a voice suddenly panicked. What he did not expect, however, was that the target of his curiosity would turn tail and run headlong into him. That caught him very much by surprise, and not being a unicorn of exceptionally strengthened build, Mirthbane was sent reeling more than a little.[/colour]

[colour=#d3d3d3]A tangle of a tattered dark green cloak mixed amidst a dirty coal-coloured coat would likely be the first thing Lyra saw of him, shortly followed by a slightly chipped horn and a pair of perturbed emerald eyes, along with four muddied limbs that were rapidly trying to sort themselves out.[/colour] [colour=#d3d3d3]He might have been something resembling a handsome fellow, save for the fact that his longish white mane was smudged, oily and unkempt, his horn was chipped, his coat was muddy, his tail was slightly knotted, and he smelled of someone who spent too much time by a bubbling pot. This was Mirthbane, and rather unfortunately for his social standing, the Everfree was his home. Not that it seemed to be particularly hospitable towards him, but it remained so nonetheless.[/colour]

[colour=#ffffff]"Caution is a means of survival here, young lady. It would be exponentially wiser of you to exercise it than to engage in such unfettered panic."[/colour] [colour=#d3d3d3]The upturned unicorn grumbled somewhat quietly, rising to his feet. So much for staying quiet and avoiding the wolves' attention altogether, their keen ears might well have heard that collision.[/colour] [colour=#ffffff]"Now keep your voice down. Timberwolves do not make for pleasant company, and I do not presume either of us to be brave enough to want to teach them any manners."[/colour]
  • Like 1

[colour=#000000]Lyra raised her head curiously and examined this pony she had ran into in full. It was a stallion-- a unicorn, not too much older than Lyra. He had a black coat and a long, kinda off-white mane. He looked pretty dirty and he didn't smell very good. Poor guy. Lyra could only assume he was some kind of vagrant or drifter. Hopefully he wasn't crazy too. Lyra didn't want to have to potentially deal with something more dangerous and creepy than this dangerous and creepy forest. She wondered if she shouldn't just keep running along as she stared at him in curiosity.[/colour]

[colour=#d3d3d3]"Caution is a means of survival here, young lady. It would be exponentially wiser of you to exercise it than to engage in such unfettered panic. Now keep your voice down. Timberwolves do not make for pleasant company, and I do not presume either of us to be brave enough to want to teach them any manners."[/colour]

[colour=#000000]Oh yeah, and he was talking to her now. Opting to listen she came to the quick realization that this pony probably wasn't dangerous. On the contrary, he seemed to know what he was talking about! That was always a good sign. Maybe he could help her get back to Ponyville? it was worth a shot, she supposed. Regardless, it seemed a good opportunity to make a new friend. Finding her hooves, she offered a big grin back at the stallion. Not paying near enough mind to the foreboding words he had spoken or the sounds of nearby danger, she rubbed the dirt off her lyre and began with the idle conversation.[/colour]

[colour=#339999]"I really didn't know anypony was nearby,"[/colour] [colour=#000000]she said with a small laugh.[/colour] [colour=#339999]"Did you like what you heard? I've been working on that for a while now!"[/colour]

[colour=#000000]Lyra strummed her lyre once and then gave another laugh.[/colour] [colour=#339999]"I'm Lyra!"[/colour] [colour=#000000]she said, offering up a hoof awkwardly and then withdrawing it.[/colour] [colour=#339999]"Wait, I already said that, didn't I?"[/colour]

[colour=#000000]She offered up a pleasant, carefree grin.[/colour] "[colour=#339999]So who are you?" [/colour][colour=#000000]she asked bluntly, tilting her head aside as she addressed the stranger.[/colour] [colour=#339999]"Oh! And do you know the way back to Ponyville?"[/colour]

[colour=#339999]"I really didn't know anypony was nearby,"[/colour] [colour=#d3d3d3]remarked the unicorn, laughing in quiet merriment - laughing, for luna's sake.[/colour] [colour=#339999]"Did you like what you heard? I've been working on that for a while now! [/colour][colour=#339999]I'm Lyra! [/colour][colour=#339999]Wait, I already said that, didn't I?"[/colour]

[colour=#d3d3d3]There was a quiet utterance of slight consternation from the disheveled unicorn, who brought a hoof to the bridge of his nose quietly.[/colour] [colour=#ffffff]"Yes, you did."[/colour] [colour=#d3d3d3]Was his rather flat response. Apparently, now that there was some equestrian company around, she had forgotten entirely about the fact that she was in the Everfree forest, and suddenly this misguided meeting had turned into some sort of tea party, save for a complete lack of tea[/colour][colour=#000000].[/colour] "[colour=#339999]So who are you?"[/colour][colour=#d3d3d3] she asked rather suddenly, as though she simply were allowed to demand such things on a whim[/colour][colour=#000000].[/colour] [colour=#339999]"Oh! And do you know the way back to Ponyville?"[/colour]

[colour=#ffffff]"I go by the moniker of Mirthbane, and rather fortunately for you, I am well aware of the way to Ponyville. You are by no means the first pony to wander this far into the woods, and I daresay that you are unlikely to be the last unlucky visitor to trespass here."[/colour] [colour=#d3d3d3]But, despite his rather unenthusiastic tone, he did make some small attempt to socialize, rather than simply perform the task of guiding home a wayward unicorn. With that, emerald eyes looked to the sky, looking for the moon and a few relevant constellations. Thus oriented, he gave a nod of his head in the appropriate direction, lifting his hooves as he prepared to lead on.[/colour] [colour=#ffffff]"This way, and carefully mind your hooves. The roots of these trees grow strong and wild."[/colour] [colour=#d3d3d3]He paused - yes, that was the responsible things to say. Not necessarily friendly or polite, but his diction had served its menial purpose. After a moment's pause, he added [/colour] [colour=#ffffff]"...For the record, I actually did enjoy your singing. You are remarkably capable with music and song, if you are so in need of affirmation to ask such from one such as myself." [/colour]

[colour=#d3d3d3]With that somewhat friendlier remark, the unicorn began to lead on. Though the trip yet to come would be slow and unsteady, but at least there was a very good chance of the musician getting out of the woods well before sunrise, and very much intact.[/colour]

[colour=#d3d3d3]"I go by the moniker of Mirthbane, and rather fortunately for you, I am well aware of the way to Ponyville. You are by no means the first pony to wander this far into the woods, and I daresay that you are unlikely to be the last unlucky visitor to trespass here. [/colour]This way, and carefully mind your hooves. The roots of these trees grow strong and wild."

[colour=#000000]Mirthbane, huh? Lyra wasn't entirely sure what to make of this stallion. He seemed kind of gruff and terse with his words but he was offering to help her back to Ponyville so he had to be a good guy. Didn't seem crazy either. She could only assume he was an alright guy, just a kind of brusque, dirty, and vaguely smelly one. Something in her gut told her she could trust him for now. After coming to that abrupt conclusion, she gave a quick silent not to herself and followed closely after the strange stranger without a moment's more hesitation. [/colour]

[colour=#339999]"Thanks a lot! I'm not sure I'd know how to get back on my own!"[/colour][colour=#000000] Lyra said her plucky demeanor in great contrast to that of her new traveling companion.[/colour]

"...For the record, I actually did enjoy your singing. You are remarkably capable with music and song, if you are so in need of affirmation to ask such from one such as myself."

[colour=#000000]At this, Lyra grinned. [/colour][colour=#339999]"Ya really think so? Awesome! I've been working on that one for a while. Normally I just sing the old-timey lyre songs I find. Singing my own stuff based on stuff I've been around for is still kinda new to me,"[/colour] [colour=#000000]the mare spoke as she continued along with the other unicorn. [/colour]"[colour=#339999]I think everypony will like it, especially in Ponyville since the whole Nightmare Moon thing happened so close."[/colour]

[colour=#000000]Lyra bounced ahead, continuing to smile.[/colour] [colour=#339999]"So? How deep into this place are we?" [/colour][colour=#000000]She tilted her head aside as she stared at the other pony for a moment. [/colour][colour=#339999]"Also, what were you doing out here? Seems like an odd place for a pony to ever want to go. I mean you can't be lost too since you said you know the way."[/colour]

[colour=#339999]"Thanks a lot! I'm not sure I'd know how to get back on my own!"[/colour][colour=#000000] [/colour][colour=#a9a9a9]Given the way she'd been panicking earlier, Mirthbane had little doubt she'd escape the Everfree quickly - not without assistance, anyhow. Still, such ideas seemed not to bother her in the slightest, as she continued beaming cheerfully as soon as he mentioned her melodic capabilities. [/colour][colour=#339999]"Ya really think so? Awesome! I've been working on that one for a while. Normally I just sing the old-timey lyre songs I find. Singing my own stuff based on stuff I've been around for is still kinda new to me... [/colour][colour=#339999]I think everypony will like it, especially in Ponyville since the whole Nightmare Moon thing happened so close."[/colour]

[colour=#a9a9a9]The apparently younger of the two unicorns was decidedly full of energy, far more carefree than the pony that seemed to be dreadfully lost a full five minutes ago. Either she had been dropped on her head quite a lot as a child (which Mirthbane did not actually suspect, given that her creative faculties were rather intact), or she had some measurable trust in his capacity to lead her to the safety of Ponyville. Or, at least, this was the conclusion he drew from her sudden outburst of extroversion; maybe she just really liked the sound of her own voice. It was an admittedly nice voice, but nevertheless, she used it rather more frequently than her guide apparent might have deemed wise under the circumstances. He pondered briefly on taking her up on a further explanation upon the events she had so lyrically described; some recount of the whole "Nightmare" incedent caught his interest rather quickly, even if it was a bardic retelling rather than a factual dictation of events.

But, the energetic unicorn simply bounced ahead - ahead of him, for Luna's sake, while he was supposed to be guiding her out of the woods. Yes, it was a reasonably straight path, but still...[/colour] [colour=#339999]"So? How deep into this place are we? Also, what were you doing out here? Seems like an odd place for a pony to ever want to go. I mean you can't be lost too since you said you know the way."[/colour]

[colour=#ffffff]"I would estimate we're about twenty minutes' canter from the edge of the forest nearest to Ponyville. On that note, however, I am not lost in the slightest; I live here, temporarily and by my own choice, and have done so for about nineteen months counting. As for what I do here, I'm compelled to study the supernatural flora of this locale further. There are a great many species here that offer considerable potential, and I hope to both discover, cultivate and publish upon some of the more useful specimens. In short, I am here for the purposes of academic discovery."[/colour]

[colour=#a9a9a9]He decided to skip out on going into long-winded explanations of how difficult it could be to reproduce desirable outcomes in various species - apparently, magical plants had the capacity to be extraordinarily picky, not that he needed to explain such at gratuitous length.[/colour]

[colour=#ffffff]"However, I could ask the same of you. One does not wander this freely or this deep into the everfree without some cogniscience as to their direction..."[/colour]

[colour=#d3d3d3]"I would estimate we're about twenty minutes' canter from the edge of the forest nearest to Ponyville. On that note, however, I am not lost in the slightest; I live here, temporarily and by my own choice, and have done so for about nineteen months counting. As for what I do here, I'm compelled to study the supernatural flora of this locale further. There are a great many species here that offer considerable potential, and I hope to both discover, cultivate and publish upon some of the more useful specimens. In short, I am here for the purposes of academic discovery."[/colour]

[colour=#000000]Lyra nodded several times as she listened to the stallion's story. Huh. Nineteen months in the wilderness? Well, that would explain all the dirt and the smell. Not that Lyra would really judge a pony too much for that. Wanting to spend nineteen months in the Everfree forest studying plants was kind of odd and not something Lyra would ever really want to do, but she was very happy to let everypony follow their own passion wherever it might take them. Besides, while academic study wasn't something that really resonated with a Canterlot U dropout like her, she kinda got it; plants could be pretty cool some times and if that what this pony was into the risk was definitely worth it.[/colour]

[colour=#d3d3d3]"However, I could ask the same of you. One does not wander this freely or this deep into the everfree without some cogniscience as to their direction..."[/colour]

[colour=#000000]Lyra gave a laugh and a small bounce.[/colour] [colour=#339999]"it was a bird. A really pretty, big majestic red one I hadn't seen before. It landed near me to listen to my song, but then I stopped to look at it and it flew away. I followed it in here, and eventually started singing again in hopes of finding it. Then I just lost track of where I was while I was focusing on the song!"[/colour] [colour=#000000]Lyra said casually, nodding. [/colour][colour=#339999]"This kinda thing always seems to happen to me for some reason..." [/colour][colour=#000000]she added giving a small sigh.[/colour]

[colour=#000000]She shrugged and grinned a carefree grin.[/colour] [colour=#339999]"So you like plants, huh? That's cool. You find any really pretty ones in here? I'm always looking for nice things to bring back to my special somepony. Come to think of it, i think I did see some really nice looking blue flowers a while back..."[/colour] [colour=#000000]she said, keeping the casual conversation coming.[/colour]

• 3 weeks later...

[colour=#d3d3d3]The teal-coloured mare giggled and bounced along - full of energy, and possibly coiled springs. Who knew, maybe Ponyville had a few acrobats and-or contortionists.[/colour] [colour=#339999]"it was a bird. A really pretty, big majestic red one I hadn't seen before. It landed near me to listen to my song, but then I stopped to look at it and it flew away. I followed it in here, and eventually started singing again in hopes of finding it. Then I just lost track of where I was while I was focusing on the song!"[/colour] [colour=#d3d3d3]So, rather than anything directly intriguing, the mare was simply lost. Either that, or she was a particularly good liar and this was all a finely-crafted ruse. There was no reason not to believe her, but for the sake of his own entertainment, the stallion simply decided she may yet be obfuscating him from some greater truth. [/colour] [colour=#339999]"This kinda thing always seems to happen to me for some reason..." [/colour][colour=#d3d3d3]Or maybe she was just easily lost in thought. So much for suspecting her of espionage and crafting some elaborate plot she might be up to in his head.[/colour]

[colour=#d3d3d3]But, that would be quickly enough interrupted. Likely for the best, as Mirthbane was prone to falling silent in thought for extended periods of time if not stimulated into conversation. He was a hermit, after all, and although his verbosity was extensive, small talk wasn't much his forte[/colour][colour=#000000].[/colour] [colour=#339999]"So you like plants, huh? That's cool. You find any really pretty ones in here? I'm always looking for nice things to bring back to my special somepony. Come to think of it, i think I did see some really nice looking blue flowers a while back..."[/colour] [colour=#d3d3d3]she said, keeping the casual conversation coming.[/colour]

[colour=#ffffff]"Blue flowers... Well, there are more than a few flora of such hues, but if you notice any with dark blue stems and extended stigma - that is, long pollen-bulbs on thin little rods - keep your distance and mind your step. Those are called poison joke, and that particular species is maddeningly trecharous."[/colour] [colour=#d3d3d3]Lyra would probably notice Mirthbane's tone pick up in tone and pitch - rising in unfiltered interest and curiosity, rather remaining cynical and flat. [/colour] [colour=#ffffff]"Not directly dangerous, but they're rather chaotic, and more than capable of altering a pony in ways one might consider... Ironic. It's actually frustrating, the changes I've noticed from that particular flora seem to very heavily imply some intelligence within whatever entity brings about the magical effects, and some inflictions are so stark and outlandish as to show immense amounts of aerthic capability. I'm all but certain I'd need extensive expertise and assistance in order to ascertain some method of manipulating the effects to some particular goal, but even as a raw catalyst for other alchemic effects, they display a truly tortuous twist of unignorable promise and unimaginable difficulty. I've attempted to suspend various particulates of the plant in an aqueous solution in order to discern the alchemic..."[/colour]

[colour=#d3d3d3]It was at that point that the coal-coated pony stopped short, shaking his head.[/colour] [colour=#ffffff]"And this is what happens when I prepare a dissertation on my findings out of boredom. Sorry. To make my summation brief, avoid the blue flowers with dark-blue stems and long pollen buds, and certainly don't try and fetch them for anypony of which you might be fond. If you're looking for something a little more pleasing to both look and scent, there are a few conerose trees here and there, though you'll have to look higher in the boughs for the fresher blossoms. Though I'm not sure what purpose a cross between rose and pinecone is supposed to have for the tree, the effect is at least pleasantly peculiar. However, I wouldn't consider it to be valuable beyond what you might find at a florists.[/colour]

[colour=#d3d3d3]However, for all his long-winded talking, they were still in the everfree, and perhaps unfortunately for them both, the 'guide' of the two hadn't been paying very much attention for the several long minutes which he'd spent letting words gush from his muzzle like a dictographic firehose. Was there something on the prowl for distracted ponies? Who would know?[/colour]

• 2 weeks later...

[colour=#d3d3d3]"Blue flowers... Well, there are more than a few flora of such hues, but if you notice any with dark blue stems and extended stigma - that is, long pollen-bulbs on thin little rods - keep your distance and mind your step. Those are called poison joke, and that particular species is maddeningly trecharous. Not directly dangerous, but they're rather chaotic, and more than capable of altering a pony in ways one might consider... Ironic. It's actually frustrating, the changes I've noticed from that particular flora seem to very heavily imply some intelligence within whatever entity brings about the magical effects, and some inflictions are so stark and outlandish as to show immense amounts of aerthic capability. I'm all but certain I'd need extensive expertise and assistance in order to ascertain some method of manipulating the effects to some particular goal, but even as a raw catalyst for other alchemic effects, they display a truly tortuous twist of unignorable promise and unimaginable difficulty. I've attempted to suspend various particulates of the plant in an aqueous solution in order to discern the alchemic..."[/colour]

[colour=#000000]The strange stallion talked a lot, but Lyra could only follow it so far. From what she could discern, the blue flowers were bad and she shouldn't touch them. She wondered why the stallion couldn't just say that instead of making her eyes go crossed with so many words. Still, she was keen to be polite. All ponies were different, and this was probably just Mirthbane's eccentricity. Evidently, even the stallion realized he was prattling on and stopped himself eventually. The reprise was brief though, as he was soon hitting her with another deluge of words. She grinned dumbly as she nodded her head along with them.[/colour]

[colour=#d3d3d3]"And this is what happens when I prepare a dissertation on my findings out of boredom. Sorry. To make my summation brief, avoid the blue flowers with dark-blue stems and long pollen buds, and certainly don't try and fetch them for anypony of which you might be fond. If you're looking for something a little more pleasing to both look and scent, there are a few conerose trees here and there, though you'll have to look higher in the boughs for the fresher blossoms. Though I'm not sure what purpose a cross between rose and pinecone is supposed to have for the tree, the effect is at least pleasantly peculiar. However, I wouldn't consider it to be valuable beyond what you might find at a florists."[/colour]

[colour=#000000]When it felt like he had actually reached a stopping point, Lyra shook her head vigorously and bounced ahead.[/colour] [colour=#339999]"Okay, so stay away from the blue ones? Got it!"[/colour] [colour=#000000]she started cheerfully.[/colour]

[colour=#339999]"You really talk a lot, you know that? Keeping up is tough!"[/colour] [colour=#000000]she said with a laugh, looking toward the other pony, who seemed somehow distracted or concerned.[/colour] [colour=#339999]"But it's cool to be passionate about stuff. I know I can get that way about Bon Bon or my music sometimes and I guess plants are kinda cool sometimes."[/colour]

[colour=#000000]Looking around the forest, she gave another bright-eyed nod.[/colour] [colour=#339999]"We making good progress out of this creepy place?"[/colour] [colour=#000000]she asked, tilting her head aside in curiosity[/colour].

Ah, the forest. There was no place else in Equestria that Silt Treble couldn't have felt more at home then here, among trees. The sunlight shining green through the leaves, the smell of rich earth beneath his hooves, and the twitter and chatter of various animals. Though, the howl of timberwolves worried the colt, the unique colouring of his storm purple coat and leafy green mane (and being covered from ear to hoof in dirt, something that never bothered Silt) helped hide the young colt as he traveled alone in the forest.

A sound that had not reached Silt's ears in a very long time stood out quite noticeably from the rest of the forest sounds. Pony chatter? Here? Intrigued, the colt followed the sound all the way to two others - a mare and stallion. The mare held a lyre, she must be a singer, or maybe a bard like his own mother, and a unicorn, like him. Silt smiled as he eyed pair. How eager he was to say hello and get to know them! But, alas, his shyness got the best of him and he could only fidget in place while he tried to work up the nerve to present himself. Perhaps he should just leave them be, would they be startled to see a colt alone in these woods? He remembered the shock on Ingrid Marie's face when he came to Celestia's School on his own to enroll, and take his exam, and attend class.. On the other hoof, the unicorn, as Silt discovered as he followed the pair, unseen, had lived in the forest for quite awhile. Perhaps it wouldn't be so odd to present himself. The problem commanded Silt's attention. He became careless as he walked, and didn't notice that he wasn't moving a silently as a shadow anymore, but rustling leaves and snapping small twigs underhoof while he thought of how to go about the simple act of saying hello.