[Story] Stories for Little Ponies

Skye

This came about while thinking. Surely the world of My Little Pony has their own culture and stories, along with their own fables and their own faerie tales. So I figured maybe about writing a few and seeing how they go. Of course, I don't want to rip off Aesop's Fables and simply change the characters from whatever to ponies, because that'd be cheating!

So here's an attempt. I'd like to make this a running series.

My Little Pony - Friendship is Magic

Stories for Little Ponies

2011 Shawn Winnie

http://canterlot.com

Stories for Little Ponies Vol 1

1 - Green Gardens and the Crying Carrots

2 - Strawberry Twist and the Griffon

1 - Green Gardens and the Crying Carrots

Green Gardens, who was known as Greenie to her friends, had a fabulous garden. She kept it very

well, and made sure her plants were fed and watered every day. Because she did such a good job,

she always grew the most red tomatoes.

She grew the largest potatoes. Her celery was the greenest and the longest, and her rhubarb was

definitely the leafiest. Ponies came from all around to get vegetables for their salads from

her garden.

One day, Greenie had just planted some fresh basil and other herbs in a special patch when she

heard a strange sound. At first, she thought it was a bird, or maybe some small animal, when

she heard the noise again.

After carefully putting down her tools, she looked about to see what it was that had made the

noise. She looked left, into her pumpkin patch and saw nothing out of the ordinary. She looked

right, into her cucumber patch, and saw nothing either.

But then, nearly at her hooves, she heard the sound again. Why, she had just planted some fresh

baby carrots at that very spot. "Why are you crying?" she peered closely at the tiny holes at

the baby carrots tucked into their earth.

"Do you need water? Maybe some more plant food? Are you not planted deep enough? Please tell

me, my baby carrots, why do you cry so and how can I help?"

"We are crying because we are too crowded!" replied the baby carrots.

"Shall I dig you up and plant you further apart?" Asked Green Gardens, peering into one of the

holes again.

"No, no, for we are already rooted and we will not get comfortable!" cried the baby carrots.

"Oh, what shall I do, my poor baby carrots? How can I ease your crying?" moaned Green Gardens.

"Move the potatoes, for they are planted too close and their roots will crowd us!" whined the

baby carrots.

So Green Gardens picked up her trowel and carefully dig up her newly-planted potatoes. But she

did not know where to plant them, so she placed them in the flower pot she had taken them from.

She would have to do without potatoes this season if the carrots needed that much room to grow.

But the next day, she heard their crying again. "Oh, my baby carrots, why do you cry so, and

how can I help?"

"We are crying because we are too crowded!" sobbed the baby carrots.

"Shall I dig you up and plant you further apart?" Asked Greenie, sure that without her

potatoes, there would be plenty of room.

"No, no, for we are already growing and we will not get comfortable!" pleaded the baby carrots.

"Oh, what shall I do, my poor baby carrots? How can I soothe you so?" asked Green Gardens.

"Move the cucumbers, for they are planted too close and their vines will block our sun!" cried

the baby carrots once more.

Greenie looked to her cucumbers, which had not yet begun to produce their bounty. She could

always purchase some from the local market, though they would not be as fresh and delicious as

hers. So into the flowerpot beside the withered potatoes went her poor cucumbers.

But on the next day, she heard crying yet again. "Oh, my baby carrots, why do you cry so, and

how can I help?" sighed Green Gardens.

"We are crying because we are too crowded!" exclaimed the baby carrots.

"Shall I dig you up and plant you further apart?" replied Greenie, sure that this time this

would surely give them plenty of room without cucumbers.

"No, no, for our stalks have already begun to sprout and we will be bruised and will not grow

tall!" moaned the baby carrots.

"Oh, what shall I do, my poor baby carrots? How can I comfort you this day?" Green Garden

looked about her garden, which was much more bare this year than it should have been.

"The flowers, the flowers must go!" shouted the baby carrots.

And so Green Gardens dug up her beautiful flowers and laid them on the flower pot which had

become a compost heap by this time. And the next day, once more, Green Gardens heard crying in her garden. This time, there was nothing new she could do, her vegetable garden was bare of everything but the baby carrots,

there was surely nothing else she could move!

"Oh, my baby carrots, why do you cry so, and how can I help?" flopped Green Gardens beside the

tender shoots of her growing baby carrots.

"We are crying because we are too lonely!" whimpered the baby carrots.

"But you made me dig up my potatoes and my cucumbers to make room for yourselves. How can I

help you now?" whimpered Green Gardens.

"Plant us some friends, so we may not grow up alone!" responded they baby carrots.

But it was too late now to plant new seeds, they would not grow in time for the market. "I am

sorry, my baby carrots. I cannot plant you some friends, it will be too late." Green Garden

pawed at the earth.

"But we must, we must have friends, or we shall grow up alone and we shall not be our best!"

but Green Garden turned away from her baby carrots.

They cried again the next day. And then the next. And for one more day they cried again before

the morning when Green Garden woke to find her garden was silent.

"Baby carrots? Oh, my baby carrots? Why do you not cry?" she leaned out the window to ask. But

the baby carrots were silent.

"Oh, baby carrots, my baby carrots, why do you not cry?" she leaned out over her porch to peer

towards her garden. But the baby carrots were silent.

"My baby carrots, why do you not cry, poor baby carrots?" as Greenie stepped carefully into her

garden. But the baby carrots were silent. She found only a few sprigs of leaves and holes where

her baby carrots had been. They had been eaten by deer who had browsed her garden!

And so this year, Green Gardens' garden was bare, and she had to stock her larder entirely from

the market for the first time. And there were no extras to share with her friends. But Green

Gardens had learned a lesson from this year's crops. And do you know what this lesson was, my

little ponies?

"Don't be greedy and don't cry without reason, or you may find yourself alone before you know it, and who knows what sort of attention you'll bring!"

Strawberry Twist was a beautiful little filly, and she knew it. Every day, she spent her mornings brushing her mane and tail until they shone almost as brightly as the sun. She made sure she never stepped in any mud, and she never ever did anything that would make her sweaty and dirty. Her parents were so proud of her that they hoped someday she would be discovered by Photo Finish and her entourage and one day, appear on stage in the most prestigous of modelling careers.

She always took care not to do anything that wasn't ladylike, and she practiced her walk every day. One day, while she was practicing her walking on her way to her lessons, she found a griffon in the middle of her path through the Whitetail Wood.

"Oh, hello." she said to the griffon.

"Hey." said the griffon back. She inspected her talons but made no effort to move out of Strawberry Twist's way.

"Excuse me, " said the pony, "But I need to pass by on my way to lessons, or I shall be dreadfully late!"

"Oh, well, in that case, you'll have to give me something. This is a toll road, you know."

Strawberry Twist had no idea what a toll road was, but she had learned that if someone said you owed them something, you had to settle your debts and Strawberry Twist always tried to make sure she'd settle her debts. She never claimed to be the most clever of ponies, but there was a griffon to deal with.

"What do I owe you?" said the pony, with a toss of her mane.

The griffon's eyes lit up as she looked over Strawberry Twist's luxurious mane and tail. "I want some of your hair. Not all of it, just a little bit, to make my nest prettier."

Even though this was a strange request and she didn't have anything else with her, she could always grow a new mane back. So Strawberry Twist agreed, and yelped when the Griffon suddenly yanked several hairs out of her beautiful tail. With a smirk, the griffon spread her wings and left, soon out of sight. Tears welled up in Strawberry Twists's eyes from the ache from where the griffon had torn the hairs from her tail, but soon she forgot about it as she continued on her way to her lessons. Though she felt that her tail felt lighter than she was used to, she soon forgot about everything that happened.

The next day, Strawberry Twist was heading off towards the nearby farm where she was to get some fresh berries for her mother to bake into a pie. Once again, she found herself face to face with the griffon, who again refused to move from her path.

"Oh dear," said Strawberry Twist. "Is this a toll road too?"

"Yes, it is now." said the griffon. "And where are you going today?"

"Well, I'm going to the farm to get some fresh berries for my mother to make into a pie." Strawberry Twist edged closer to the griffon, hoping to get by.

But she failed to escape the griffon's notice, and with another yank, now half of Strawberry Twist's tail was missing.

"That's the toll, enjoy your pie!" crowed the griffon as she flew out of sight, leaving Strawberry Twist to walk the rest of the way to the farm with a now much bedraggled tail.

When she returned home, she snuck back inside and left the berries on the countertop before she ran upstairs to look at herself in the mirror. She was a sorry state, her tail ragged and smarting from where the griffon had ripped more of her beautiful hair out. She hated to do this, but she didn't want her mother to notice, and so she took up her scissors and did the best she could to bob her tail short. Maybe she could pretend it was a new fashion.

Her ploy worked, and nobody thought anything of it, though her mother did look slightly disappointed that her tail was gone. But she was still beautiful, and it was true that some ponies in fashion did wear their tails short, especially underneath their dresses.

The next day, she was whistling to herself as she trotted down a path towards the sweet store. Again, there was the griffon on her way, and she knew that this road wasn't a toll road, she'd been travelling down it ever since she was a foal!

"Good morning." said the Griffon.

"Good morning!" sang Strawberry Twist.

"Where are you going today?" asked the griffon, as she absently nudged a stone out of the road.

"I'm going to the sweet store, for a treat!" Strawberry Twist replied. "Could you move, you're in my way."

"Oh, I don't think so, I just got comfortable. Though if you gave me something for my discomfort, maybe I could move."

"I don't have any tail left, I cut it short!" said Strawberry Twist, turning to show the griffon the bobbed tuft where her tail once was.

"Well, then some of your mane will do." reached out the griffon, and before Strawberry Twist could back away, she'd lost a good hank of her mane to the griffon. "Enjoy your sweets!" she called out as she flew off.

The pony now didn't feel up to having some sweets, but she went the rest of the way and picked some up anyhow. Maybe she'd feel better about having them later. When she returned home, her mother asked her about the missing patch in her mane.

"Oh, I wasn't paying attention and I must have walked into something that ripped it out. I'm sorry, mother." lied the little pony, hoping her mother would accept the story. And so she did, but it didn't make Strawberry Twist feel any better. But after she looked herself in the mirror and realized how bedraggled she looked, she broke down and cried.

Hearing this, her mother came back upstairs and asked her what was wrong. "What's wrong, my little beauty queen?" asked her mother gently.

So Strawberry Twist told her all about the griffon and what had happened, and her mother was horrified. She told her husband, and her husband told the town guard who found the griffon lurking not far, apparently in wait. Even after they ran the griffon off, Strawberry Twist still didn't feel safe, even after her parents had told her that she should have told them the first day she'd met the griffon in the woods.

And so, my little ponies, the moral of this story is never let a stranger touch you or take anything that belongs to you.