Catch a Wave (Ended)

Lux

"Yeah, who thought the floor could punch you so hard, even though it doesn't have limbs," she declared with a smile, eyeing the ice as he briefly spoke about ponies and their dislike of meat. She cocked her head to the side almost amazed at his explanation!

"So that's why they never served fish at school! I always thought they were just letting me save the best food for dinner when I got home! How dastardly," she declared with a smile, tapping her beak as she wiggled her hips.

"Yeah, my parents are fun. I wish my dad didn't bard very much though. He always roamed Equestria, telling everyone fantastic stories about the ocean," she commented with a smile as he showed off the boards.

"It must be weird designing stuff for other species. Is it like sticky for the hooves," she commented with a laugh as she took the ice from him. The griffon carefully placed it on her haunches, the hybrid wincing in pain before it lowered the swelling. "Yes, I would love some fish, but only if it isn't too much of a bother," Aquaria commented shyly, her rose eyes looking at the ground as she spoke.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Yeah the waves can pack a gnarly punch. Same thing with the ocean. Surfing isn't for everypony or griffon, and getting hurt is just one of the things about it. Hopefully though the injuries aren't severe though."

It was interesting hearing how Aquaria never knew why she couldn't have fish in school. It made Riptide wonder if that was the reason why she kidded earlier that she didn't know she was a griffon.

"Oh so you went to a pony school then? I guess it was kind of a shock being there, wasn't it? I remember when I met a pony on the beach making this totally awesome sand castle. I went over to say hi to him, but the pony got scared and ran away. I guess that was when I realized that I wasn't going to fit in as well as a surfboard in an ocean, but I kept trying and for the most part no pony is scared of me."

The black griffoness could see that she admired Riptide's work with the board, something that the brightly colored griffon was happy about. To the untrained eye, a board looked simply like a samded piece of wood that was painted, but there were details in them that made them special.

"Yeah it is hard getting it right since I'm not a pony. I spent so much time trying to figure out how a pony would stand on a board then had to put where their hooves would go. This was actually the third board that I made, and this one worked. Third time's the charm I guess. And yes that sticky stuff is from something called a rubber tree that allows ponies hooves to stick better to it. Oh and if you like that one, you'll like this one!"

Riptide flew over and grabbed a very interesting board off the nearby wall. It had a design that looked like a tie dye shirt, filed with a rainbow of colors.

"Cool, huh? Have a look at that while I start the fish. It's really no trouble as I was planning of eating after surfing a little."

"Yeah, most of my classmates said I looked weird. My hooves had claws on their ends and I had a fluffy chest of feathers. They would be scared at first, then they would grow to be my friends. Most of them never really liked my hugs though," she explained with a smile before shrugging at the end of her explanation.

He quickly explained his methods to her, the griffoness finding nothing too wrong. The whole idea of a pony on a surfboard made her chuckle and snort at such a strange spectacle.

Aquaria's laughs were soon interrupted as he presented her with a brightly colored board. Her eyes went wide as she looked over the board. "It was amazing, so shiny, sparkly, brilliant," she thought excitedly while she studied it's every shape and curve. Her tail wagged excitedly while she basked in the board's glory, forgetting about the fish, if only for a moment.

While preparing the meal, Riptide heard Aquaria mention something about how she had claws on the end of her hooves. The griffon wondered if his house guest really thought she was a pony. It wouldn't surprise him having pony traits after being around them.

"Yeah, ponies totally don't like getting a hug from me. Not sure why as everypony I've seen seem to hug. Must be the talons. Actually there's something that i don't like that ponies can't get enough of: hay! A pony once tried to get me to eat some, waht are they called, of yeah, hay fries. I'm sorry but fried grass is still grass. Guess we have our differences though."

Riptide returned to the store, leaving the fish to cook in the kitchen. He found it funny that Aquaria was mesmerized by the board's pretty design.

"Oh you like that huh? Took me some time to add all those colors but it turned out nice I think. Anyway, is there a certain way you like your fish?"

Aquaria cocked her head to the side, utterly confused for reasons unknown! "Why don't they like talons? They can grab things really well like magic does. They are kinda sharp I guess, but that is for catching fish... not ponies," she explained in a confused manner before gasping in surprise. "Wait, do they think I'm going to eat them? I could never eat my friends! Ponies are friends, not food," she declared sternly, seeming genuinely concerned with her sudden epiphany.

"Hay fries are okay. Not as good as dandelion sandwhiches, but acceptable I guess. Then again, most plants aren't as tasty as fish. Now that I think about it, most of the school food was really bland and boring. I wonder why," Aquaria commented in her strangely slanted manner of thinking. More often than not, she just accepted strange things as the norm. It almost seemed like she just guessed that every griffon had to endure pony food at school.

When he spoke of his board and the work he had done, she smiled slightly, seeming to forget about her previous worries. "Oh, I like my fish well done! I like my grass thoroughly cooked," she chuckled with a warm smile as she put the board down and walked into the kitchen to scope out her meal. 'What about you, how do you like your fish?" she asked inquisitively, her long tail wagging as eagerly awaited his response.

"Well, maybe not eat them, but ponies could be a little nervous of getting hurt by talons. Not saying you would intentionally want to hurt them, just on accident you know. That's the way it was for me. I think ponies thought I was this creature wanting to eat them rather than make friends with them. It got better though the more ponies here get to know me."

Aquaria spoke of her experience with food, something that the brightly colored griffon could take an interest in.

"Well I haven't tried a dandelion sandwich before. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a picky eater and I do eat things beyond just fish, like grilled seaweed. Just eating noting but veggies and plants like ponies isn't what I like to do. I was raised on fish practically. But i can see how since you went to a school with ponies you got used to the food that they ate. As for my fish., I like it blackened with grilled seaweed in a butter sauce."

• 2 weeks later...

"I never hurt anyone with my talons, I think? There were a few who yelped when I hugged them, but it was kinda strange. Maybe I poked them," she gasped in horror while feeling like a big stupid jerk. "Oh no, I gotta apologize to them all! Now I feel bad because I don’t know where they live. I hope they forgave me," she whimpered lightly to herself.

After taking a few moments to calm down, Aquaria was eager to change the subject to food. "I never really liked that food too much, but my teachers always said we had to eat our vegetables. Maybe they were just talking to the ponies. Still, I wonder why my parents never packed me any lunches with meat," she wondered aloud, clearly not much of a critical thinker when meat might have alienated her from her pony classmates further. She did have to giggle lightly though when he spoke about what he liked to eat. "You know that kelp is basically a vegetable, right, she commented with a goofy grin while she poked him in the side. "I think you do like plants and just don't know it, she joked playfully while poking a pink tongue out of her black beak at him.

"Oh I'm not sure that you poked the pony," Riptide said seeing Aquaria's concern that she may have hurt those that she hugged, "Maybe they never saw a griffon before."

As he continued to prepare the fish, he listened as the griffoness talked about how the teachers encouraged her to eat vegetables. Riptide was about to mention why ponies, who he knew ate fruits, vegetables and grains, but he thought that maybe the griffoness knew already how that may appear. She did offer an interesting idea on eating plants.

"Well, it's not like I you know not like eating plants or stuff. I do eat fruits and veggies and grains and stuff like that. I just don't, like, eat only these things like ponies do. I eat fish or things with veggies. Speaking of which, what kinds do you like with your fish?"

She listened closely to Riptide nodding, perhaps not in understanding, but at least in hearing. "Well I've never been a pony, so it is hard to figure out how they might react if I was normal," she reasoned aloud, rubbing her chin with a talon as she considered herself strange.

"I guess I might be scared if a vampire pony or something tried to hug me," she added with a chuckle as she made biting motions with her long pointy beak. She pondered it a bit more but before she could think further about it, her friend asked her about vegetables. "Oh, I'm okay with anything you make. My parents mostly eat fish, but I don't get to eat muck seaweed or kelp," she suggested with a giggle, a yawn coming over the tired hybrid.

Riptide could see that Aquaria didn't quite get what he was trying to say. It was a hard thing to explain how a pony may react differently, but maybe he could try another way.

"Oh, well it's not like you are strange or anything. It's just, well, ponies seem to be more comfortable around other ponies, as that's who they are and that's who they see more than griffons like us. It's not that the ones you met are afraid you'd hurt them, just that they may have never seen a griffon before and are just unsure. Still though you don't have to worry about how others see you as I'm sure once they get to know you they'll think you're totally awesome. Like how I met you."

Hearing that the griffoness had no issues with vegetables, Riptide continued to make sure the fish was done right.

"Maybe it's just easier for everyone to get along with ponies. I get along with them better than I do with my parents. Maybe griffons are just scruffy and intimidating. You're kinda intimidating for a rainbow griffon," she explained with a giggle, her words a mixture of play and truth.

She didn't mind his presence at all, but then she often didn't mind the presence of anyone! Aquaria couldn't be sure entirely, but unknown things were probably more scary than things she knew. The young divers knew griffons, her parents anyway, and they seemed nice enough to her.

"Maybe you're right. If everyone knew each other, maybe they would get along better," she explained with a giggle before gasping loudly. "That's it! If I figure out a way for everyone to meet everyone, then everyone will be friends," she announced as if she had a brilliant idea. While it was a fun and overly generous thought, Aquaria had problems seeing how impractical an idea it was.

"Whoa wait a sec, you think I'm intimidating? Really? I mean I know I'm a griffon but I don't think I look the least bit scary to ponies or other griffons. You're kind of the first to say that."

As the thought of how he, quite possibly the most happy go lucky griffon on the beach could be seen as intimidating by another griffon, Aquaria gave an advice about everyone meeting everyone. It was a tricky idea, but still nice.

"Yeah I wish that it can happen like that where if everyone gave each other the time of day they'd get to know each other. Hey the fish is ready. How about as we eat you can ask me questions and I'll ask you some so, you know, we can get to know each other. Think of me as the test griffon for your plan!"

"Well, no silly I don't think you're scary. I think you might be more scary than some random cute pony I guess," she explained with a giggle, her long tail wagging as she thought of a scary version of the surfer. She failed noticeably though, continually giggling while she thought of the colorful hybrid making scary faces.

When he explained that the food was ready, her mischievous rose colored eyes lit up with excitement. She sat up in a proper posture like she had been taught at school. "Good! I would love to talk about stuff for a while. A devils grin spread across her beak as she came up with the most devilish of plans!

"1 2 3, not it! You gotta ask questions first," she commented in a rather childish but excited manner. The goofy griffon seemed proud of her self, craftily gaining the upper hand on her friend.

"Oh I see," Riptide said seeing that the very thought of a scary version of the brightly colored griffon made Aquaria laugh. It was a silly thought, as not even Riptide could see himself as a mean griffon. It was hard to be scary looking if he was yellow and blue.

"You know something? I think you're a radical griffon. You're always happy and that's a great thing. Not to say I've seen many grumpy ponies or griffons, but if I saw one I don't think I'd meet them."

The black and white griffoness was very accepting about the idea of asking each other questions. Before though she could ask her a question though, Aquaria suddenly jumped on it and asked Riptide to ask him a question.

"Well ok then," the griffon said as he began to put the fish and roasted veggies on plates and gathered the utensils, "So since you talked about going to a pony school, what was your most favorite and least favorite classes? Oh and the fish is ready, so feel free to enjoy!"

"Aww thanks Rippy! You're too nice," she shyly replied to her brightly colored friend while giving him a silly scary name to boot! "It's okay to be grumpy. Lots of animals are grumpy, and most of them aren't too bad," she added with a giggle, managing to stay cheerful, even when Riptide stated he probably wouldn't meet one. Sore or not, the striped hybrid was a paragon of positivity and not much could slow her down!

She looked over the plates excitedly, taking in the smells of fish and plants as she politely sat at the table, struggling to control her excitement as her tail wagged uncontrollably. "Oh, my favorite classes were history and physical education! These were so many cool ponies who invented and did things! And P.E, I always got picked first for stuff, I must have been the toughest pony in class or something," she explained with a giggle, clearly not a pony, or the toughest cookie around, not that it bothered her. "My least favorite class was definently math, numbers are mean and complicated and they always change when they get next to other numbers," she added in an oversimplistic manner while clearly being distracted by the food.

When told that the food was done, she smirked devilishly, seeing her time to strike against Riptide! "Okay, now you gotta answer my questions! How long have you lived here and have you ever dated a pony," she asked with a mischievous expression on her face before truly 'betraying' her friend. The mischievous griffoness started eating her food while he needed to answer her question. Beneath her bubbly personality hid a clever hunter, eager to get the upper hand on her generous host!

Riptide giggled at the way she was called Rippy.

"You're nice too, Aqua," he said with a teasing smile, "Yeah i know things can be grumpy but I avoid them like running from a monster!"

He watched as the griffoness excitedly sat, ready to try out the fish dinner made. He knew that Aquria was ready to dive into the dinner, but she had the moment to wait while answering his question.

"Yeah, PE was fun when I was in school. Same with history too I guess. Yeah math was kind of hard for me especially when my teacher asked me to solve somee problem in front of every griffon in class."

Riptide's eyes went wide when Aquaria slyly asked if he ever dated a pony. Relationships was something that even the optimistic brightly colored pony refrained from asking too much.

"Well... um... I've been here for about a few months, at least one full summer. As for a relationship... er... I never thought about having a special somepony as a partner like that. I guess I thought that I'd find a cute griffoness that likes me as much as I like them here. There aren't really that many griffons here to meet as friends or anything else. You're actually the first griffon I've seen here."

He thought about the next question as he took a bite of his fish. Then a grin formed on his face as he spoke.

"Alright, so since you asked me that, I'll ask you something like that. Do you have a special griffon or pony in your life?"

Aquaria giggled when he spoke about his class, the young hybrid nodding in agreement. "Everypony was always impressed when I counted out the numbers on my claws. They could only ever get up to two," she explained with a giggle, showing off her black talons while laughing lightly at her own remarks. Her playful question about his love life caught him off guard, causing a smirk to spread across her maw as she watched him squirm about and struggle to answer her question.

She cooed at the cuteness of his remark as he tried to explain why he hadn't dated any ponies. "You're the first griffon I've ever met beside my mom and dad. You might have to wait a while if you want to meet more griffons, unless you want to meet my parents," she explained with a laugh as his inner turmoil was on display for the world! He then tried to turn the tables back on her, but the tricky lifeguard had expected such a tactic. As soon as he asked her about her dates, she took a mouthful of fish to buy her time to regain her composure. After thinking over his question she shook her head. "I haven't really gone on many dates. I did go to the prom with one of my pony friends though, if that counts as a date," Aquaria added in an aloof manner, trying to get him curious.

It was now her turn to get him back though, the diver already knowing what to ask him. "Am I a cute griffoness? I like you, do you like me?" she asked nefariously before poking her tongue out at him playfully!

Riptide laughed as Aquaria mentioned how she amazed ponies by being able to count with her talons.

"Yeah I can see how they'd be amazed at that too."

The brightly colored griffon could see that Aquaria seemed to like to tease him with a very delicate question about his love life. He knew that she wasn't a mean griffon and yet besides asking him as a little tease, he wondered why else she would be interested in that. Now Riptide wasn't a dense griffon, knowing that if somepony asked him about his love life it could mean that they wanted to be part of that life. What Aquaria said next about the fact of meeting her parents only added to the nervousness that Riptide felt as he fumbled even trying to cut his fish.

Just when he thought that asking the griffoness about her love life would reveal her feelings, the clever Aquaria told about going on a prom with a pony. She left it that though, further making Riptide wonder as this pony was just a friend. The biggest surprise came when Aquaria asked whether she was cute and if he liked her. For a moment Riptide chocked on a piece of fish when she asked that but quickly regained his composure. He knew that he had to say something now.

"Well, of course I think you're cute. You're so playful and fun to be around. Most of all I love how you're so happy all the time. It's like when you're around and happy, so am I. You're a really awesome griffon to be around, totally awesome. And yes I like you, a lot actually. I know they say that meeting a griffon and liking them at first sight is just a pony's tale, but maybe it is the truth. So, does this mean you want to be my special somegriffon? Because I'd like to be yours."

Aquaria smiled as he nervously choked on his food. As she playfully pried into his love life. He was clearly unnerved by her questions and she liked to see him squirm, the young hybrid finding his mannerisms adorable.

"Aww, I try to keep a good mood going at all times. I like your attitude as well, you're the nicest griffon I've ever met. It might be a pony tale, but they always have a happy ending and who says they are not true," she replied excitedly to him before hearing his question.

"I would love to be your special somepony! We can be best friends forever," she cheered excitedly, charging around the table and giving him a ferocious hug and kissing his cheek with her pointy black beak.

Even as he nervously tried to answer the awkward questions being asked, Riptide could see that Aquaria was doing so not only to get to know him but also to tease him. Yet in asking him whether the brightly colored griffon liked her it backed him into a corner where he could only answer the truth. It was not that he was planning on lying only that he was afraid of what the griffoness would say. But now how he felt was out for her to hear as she talked about how nice he was. For a few tense moments he waited for her reply.

Before he could react Riptide saw Aquaria leap out of her seat and hug knocking her out of his seat in the process. At first he struggled at the sudden embrace but then when she kissed him his body instantly relaxed. He knew that she felt the same way as he did to her, further making him feel even more good.

"I'm so happy you feel that way," he said returning the hug and kissing her on the cheek as well.

"You are going to be my best friend forever," she cooed in an excited manner as she nuzzled Riptide before awkwardly lifting him back to his feet. Her rosey eyes looked him over with excitement as she regained her composure, her striped tail wagging with excitement. "So what do you want to first as my new special somepony?" she asked quizically, purring for her new griffonfriend.

She really liked him, even if she didn't know much about him. That wasn't a huge problem for her though, the young hybrid hoping to spend more time with him and learn more about her brightly colored counterpart.

"Well for starters," he said as Aquaira placed him back on his feet still with a smile plastered on his face, "How about we finish our meal. I know you probably don't know me enough and now you were surprised by me telling you that I want to be your special somegriffon, so feel free to ask me anything you want. We need to get to know each other, right?"

Riptide really liked Aquaria and by the way she nuzzled him and purred as she spoke she liked him as well. Even though he just met the griffon today, he could tell that this griffon even from the start that she was the one to get to know more. He knew that the more he got to know her the more he would like about the darkly colored griffon.

"Okay!" she cheered, the black griffoness quickly picking her fish clean before staring across the table at her bright counterpart. "What do your parents think of you being here? Do they live here like mine? Do you think they will approve of me being your special somepony?" she asked in quick succession, trying to bury him in questions and watch him squirm awkwardly. She thought he was even more cute when he looked nervous, the surfer not always able to keep his cool like he probably wanted. Aquaria had never dated a griffon before and was slightly nervous about it, but was able to control it with her near infinite excitement at trying all things new.

"Whoa what's the rush," Riptide chuckled as Aquaria devoured the fish, "You don't have somwhere to be, do you?"

Suddenly another tidal wave of questions flowed from the griffoness's mouth catching the surfer pony by surprise. By the look on her face he knew that Aquaria for whatever reason liked to see him squirming and tripping over his words. He found it strange why such a thing would make her happy, and in reality Riptide wasn't doing so on purpose. There was that part of him, however illogical it may seem, that was nervous that he had a special somegriffon, like he would say something stupid that would upset even as optimistic a griffon as the one seated across from him.

"Well my parents aren't from here. They're from near Rockwington along the ocean shore. They were ok with me being here, although kind of sad to see me leave. I still visit them though so we can catch up. As for whether they'd like you, I think so. They're cool enough to trust me with who I met as friends or in your case a special somepony. I'm sure they'll just invite you right in if you met them! What about your parents? Do you think they'd be cool with me being your special somegriffon?"

"There is no rush at all. I just can't think clearly when I have a delicious fish in front of me! Also, it is hard for me to talk with my beak full," she explained with a giggle. She took one last check to make sure her food was cleaned off before listening to the brightly colored hybrid answer her harmless questions. "It's good to hear that your parents are okay with you doing whatever you want to do. I would be really sad if they didn't approve of your choices. I hope they like me too because I would like them. I like everyone though," she explained with a giggle before focusing her attention fully on the surfer.

"Well they said I can date anypony I want to. I guess I would have to ask them if I could date a griffon, but I think they would probably say yes," she added with a laugh, poking her tongue out at him while she joked about her griffon parents possibly not approving of a griffon. Both of my parents have water related jobs too, I don't know what they would think of a surfer though. They are free spirits and don't have any hardline opinions that I know of," she explained, crossing her arms while she patiently watched him.

Archived