Feeling Pinkie Keen... You know where I'm going with this.

pollo20x6

I know this is probably a really old topic that's probably been put to rest by a lot of the fans, but I thought I'd share my own opinion on the matter because after searching the internet, I wasn't able to find someone who thought the same as I did.

A lot of people seem to dislike this episode because they feel it is too pro-religion and way out of character considering that twilight, a educated character, would give up and just "accept" that something, while it can't be explained, can still be true.

At first, I was annoyed with the episode as well. It's not a very good lesson to teach young kids because we need to promote questioning to further increase our intelligence.

However, after thinking about it some more, I realized this episode can go both ways. Pro-religion and pro-science, despite science failing.

In the episode, pinkie has a special ability. It can't be explained but it can plainly be seen and is proven to work multiple times. This is evidence, something that most religions tend to lack, but science thrives on. Evolution is something that we can see and know exists. Evidence such as the fossil record, studying the short life span of multiple generations of fruits flies and the heredity characteristics that we see get passed on. We know evolution exists because we see it. However, we can't explain why or how this phenomenon came to be. Twilight, to me, could be seen as the religious person in this case. She has her books (and machine thingy) that she uses to explain the mysteries of life and after repeated attempts can't find a way to explain how pinkie does it. Similar to how some (not all) religious organizations try to debunk evolution by explaining that there is no mention in the bible of it and that it's just a theory. A theory is something that has been backed up through multiple tests and seen as successful. So in this case, we have the Theory of the Twitchy Tail. We see it happen multiple times and successfully predicts the future. Also, the big bang theory. No one can explain that. It's just a strong educated guess, but like twilight said. Just because you can't explain it doesn't make it any less true. While, the big bang theory does have an explanation as to how it probably happened, it's one of those "twitchy tail" moments in life's history that, although we are aware that it most likely happened there's no way to prove it, you just have to choose to believe in it or not.

This is what makes this episode so fun. It totally flip flops everything. Even though I said I saw twilight as the religious one, she definitely wasn't. She questions and tests the phenomenon like a true scientists. The point I'm getting at that this episode's strength comes in the fact that it can go multiple ways. Is it pro-religion? Is it pro-mysteries of life? Who knows? There is literally no answer because you can argue it either way. It just seemed, to me, pro-religious because twilight uses science to explain a magical ability, which we are used to seeing in the real world. But considering that this wasn't the writer's intention for this to be the lesson, it's easy to find multiple ways to explain the episode's intentions.

Leave a comment! I'm interested in seeing who agrees, but more importantly, who disagrees because what better way to promote learning, than with multiple points of views.

First off, long time, no speak. :3

Second, when I first saw the episode, I saw Twilight as a scientist and Pinkie as the Religious one; Twilight used contraptions and scientific theories to further her beliefs, whereas Pinkie simply believed a phenomenon that you can't prove.

In the end, Twilight realizes that Friendship is not Science as you can't prove it with equations, but Magic. No one can tell you how to be friends, you just do.

On a separate, probably off-topic side note, anyone found the evolution to Rapidash to be weird?

tumblr_lmnonlNGup1qk7lldo1_400.gif

Oh, wait, I can relate this to the previous topic. Twilight, being one of science, was able to evolve into something else. Of course, she also evolved mentally, accepting the fact that not everything can be proven with facts. Also, in the episode where Zecora was introduced, everypony but Twilight is shocked about the Everfree Forrest; a place where everything is not controlled by ponies, but a separate force instead. (God)

Yeah. That's how I saw it too. It just felt odd. I was worried the rest of the episodes were going to follow a similar preachy attitude, but thankfully it didn't. Still, at least it has some funny moments.

The rapidash moment was pretty cool. Haha I wonder if that was intentional or coincidence. Probably coincidence but, you never know, huh.

I can't believe that people adds religion into the mix, I find it to give myself a facepalm and slap in the forehead. I seriously don't know why all the fuss is about until even Faust also respond to that. To me, Twilight don't believe in her because it's some superstition, similar to real world cases like luck and Feng Shui, I slightly believe in luck while I don't believe in Feng Shui at all.

Overall, it was an okay episode, not too shabby, but yeah, it's always simple when the Rapidash form is quite funny when the crew took advantage of a Pokemon creature and then use it for Twilight. And in Deviantart, somebody uses her fire to roast marshmallows, and I don't mean Rarity.

arrowghost helps my point. The way he can connect to luck and feng shui shows that there are multiple ways to interpret the episode, which is what I'm trying to get at and explain that the episode shouldn't get a bad rep for seeming "pro-religious", which unfortunately I find everywhere on the internet.

If that was the intent, it would be obvious. Like veggietales.

I literally just re-watched the episode right now and yeah...some of the lines are a little...out there. haha

It does feel a little like an analogy to religion at times...Not that it's a bad thing. I just don't like the way twilight gives up. It seems so out of character that she would give up and just accept what she can't explain, but I guess that can be life at times. Overall, it's probably the only episode that I'm not too crazy about. It's a mixed bag, imo. Even though Lauren Faust said she wishes she "could go back and clarify it further"[colour=#3a3a3a], I feel it's fine the way it is cuz it could have been alot worse. Like veggietales. [/colour]

Other than that, I do like the way twilight gets beat up. I always find it hilarious and makes the episode worth while. It definitely was a better experience watching it a second time around because when I first saw it, I still felt pinkie was more normal and her twitchy tail seemed like a cheap plot device to show off the unexplainable. After watching the rest of the seasons, it seems like something that would definitely happen to her and seeing how they bring back the twitchy tail in later episodes without making a big deal out of it, makes this episode feel a little more down to earth and in tune with the rest of the episodes

I actually oughta rewatch the episode too then.

Though Twilight has given up before, it just takes her a while to realize that friendship is the answer. :)

yeah. I guess you're right, but in other episodes where she gives up, she eventually comes back and finds a way to solve her problem, whereas with FPK, she gives up and happily accepts that she wasn't able to explain it.

Which, when I put it that way, doesn't sound all that bad. hahaha.

wow... this episode...It's like the only one that I can really talk about and change my mind about it every couple minutes. Which is another reason why I wouldn't want it any other way. I believe shows need to bring out some emotion, good or bad, to be worth the time. Arthur definitely never did this for me.

Well, with kids shows, most of them don't take the story so seriously.

For instance, we all know that Swiper isn't going to swipe the object. It happens every episode.

But with MLP, when a Queen decides to kidnap a Princess before her big day and impersonate her so that she and her subjects can potentially feed off the love to become stronger,

OH SNAP!

It really hit me when I saw both Queen Chrysallis saying that she's doing this only for the power, and Princess Cadence desperately trying to escape to be with her love.

Woah, I never ever forever never tied religion with MLP. I mean, it's a show about colourful talking ponies. And despite bronies treaty Celestia like a troll *god* dictator and the show even mentioning Discord as a god of chaos, I never once thought of anything religious.

It's actually kind of cool, in a way. I think? :P

But that breaks my #4 rule of the Internet: Don't post religion, 95% of the time, it doesn't end pretty. :|

It's mostly just that one episode. Other than that Ive never connected mlp to religion either. And like we've been saying, it's all up to how one sees it.

I feel the episode can be connected, but very loosely.

But yeah, that's a good rule. I dont mean to bring up religion. My intent was to explain why I feel that it can be interpreted multiple ways.

Woah, wait, this episode is seen as pro-religous by many people?

I just take this as an innocent, children's television show. ;_;

I saw the reviews too, I also don't know where the hell did they come from. What the bloody hell, man?! It's not only just a kids show, it's also not meant to insult religion in any way one bit. I don't see anything particular of Christianity, Islam or any others that also has something specific to insult a religion. *facepalm and sigh*

I saw the reviews too, I also don't know where the hell did they come from. What the bloody hell, man?! It's not only just a kids show, it's also not meant to insult religion in any way one bit. I don't see anything particular of Christianity, Islam or any others that also has something specific to insult a religion. *facepalm and sigh*

Critiques just critique... anyone can tie any subject to anything.

Sorry if that offended you Pollo; you being a critique~

Nothing's ever perfect, there will always be a fault; some people will catch them, others won't. As Pollo said, it's how you interpret what is being presented to you.

It's ok. I get what you mean.

But I hope I'm not rattling any cages here. I originally posted this topic in hopes of providing my point of view as to why there shouldn't be any controversy. I dont want to say anyone is more right than anyone else and I definitely dont want to revive the controversy that, I feel, shouldn't even exist to begin with.

Well, Kodo, even in movies, let's take a non-religious action movie such as Transformers and Mission Impossible, is religion a something you need to add in or tie it from there? Ask yourself, of course the answer is no, right? From the way I see this, I call it they're unprofessional. Unless you review horror based movies, religion may play a part. But for Pinkie Keen, nope, not one bit on religion. And by the way, science also cannot 100% determine or confirm answers on myths, take from some scholars who speaks on "Is It Real?" I saw they mentioned that vampires and dragons do exists.