Lost and Hunted

Monochrome

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"We've got quite some time until the portals open again, so I suppose I'll tell you." Nao sighed, and began her tale. "You see, there weren't always nightmares and nightstallions, unlike the races of ponies who live in this world who have always dwelled here. It all started with a lonely unicorn's creation. He crafted a pony of sorts from shadows, to befriend him and ease his loneliness. However, the unicorn was gone eventually, and the shadow pony remained. He tried to venture out of his creator's home in innocent curiosity a few times, but found that those who saw him were afraid. He grew unsure and, little by little, gained hatred of what he was because of the ponies of the outside world. He still trekked out into the world, though; despite being made of shadows, he still had to eat, after all. He eventually came to know of one of the rulers in that world- the ancestor of one of your four rulers now, a princess pure and white as the snow with beauty beyond compare. He ventured closer to her each day, catching glimpses of her and growing fond of her. Now, around this time, he discovered that being made of only magic and shadows allowed him the ability to enter and even eat dreams... He soon could not stand watching anonymously any longer. That night, he approached the princess within her dreams. He tenderly proclaimed his love for her... But to his dismay, her mouth opened and she let out a scream of terror for the creature that stood before her. He backed away, holding back the stinging tears in his eyes as the princess desperately tried to escape his presence. Then, he ran away, away from the princess and her world, as far as he could go. He soon found himself in the kingdom of dreams, a place inhabited by pure, butterfly-winged wish-granting ponies who distribute dreams to the ponies of this world. He made himself a home there- in the dark corners where nopony lived or dared enter. He expanded on this land, a lonely stallion building a kingdom of his own where his appearance wouldn't be considered fearsome or ugly. His next task was to fill his new territory with subjects to keep him company. He ventured out into the world he was purged from once again, and, having learned the art of shape-shifting, transformed himself into a simple unicorn. He sought out those ponies of that world who were lonely, unappreciated, and outcast, offering each of them a loving home and a share of his power in his dimension. Thus, over time, the ranks of the king grew... And my kind was born. We fed exclusively on dreams, unable to attain much else without coming into this world and stealing the food of others, and hid in our homeworld when daylight came. The royal line grew, not because the lonely king found a new love but because he followed the path of his creator, creating himself five 'sons' and 'daughters' of the world's shadows and raising them to rule the place. One of those five nightmare rulers was my great-grandfather; and since then rulers have come in sets of five. As for now... My grandfather created a prophecy of my brother and I, which tells of how our destinies are linked, being born twins of the same shadows. Necro, my brother, is the prince who shall keep justice in our world. Although he's a bit hot-tempered, I think his sense of justice is good enough... And me, I will keep harmony in our world."

Nao's ears pricked up, and a chill raced down her spine. She scanned around her fearfully, as if somepony or something was watching from the very shadows around her at that very moment.

"Somepony is listening in. Despite having poor eyesight in the brightness of this 'sun' thing of yours, we nightmares have developed excellent hearing... Probably partially due to having a different ear shape." she said anxiously, removing her hood and letting off her disguise to reveal two frilled ears somewhat like that of a dragon. They were angled intently towards the window. "That was a very distinct sound of magic... Unless somepony has managed to get a hold of some dream world magic, there is a spy from the realm of dreams among us. Our realms have been at war for ages... They no doubt want to take advantage of my current situation."

Nao slowly stood up and advanced towards the window, pausing to recreate her disguise. She grew closer, frightened of what may await her but stubbornly shoving that fear down as she thrust her head out the window and scanned her surroundings with her glowing eyes narrowed watchfully. She soon caught a glimpse of what she presumed was exactly what she was looking for- a pair of eyes peering tensely out of the foliage, and a glimmer of something shiny beneath them. Nao stared unsurely at them.

"Wh-who are you? What do you want?" she squeaked.

Nao, still in firm belief that this was a spy come to leech vital information off of her or something of the sort, Nao pursued the pony as it made a mad dash away from her. Nao clumsily flapped upwards to get a better look from above, and soon spotted a pony standing on the roof of a building, panting as if she were being chased. Nao knew the mare would likely take off again if she saw Nao again, so Nao quickly adjusted to hopefully avoid that by performing a quick color change on her disguise. She now appeared as a grey pegasus with a light blue mane and tail as she crash-landed on the roof. She stood up ad waited a moment, hoping the mare now couldn't recognize her.

"Oh, n-nothing. I'm just not that good a flier, I guess." Nao replied, self-consciously folding her wings. She examined the pony before her carefully, but oddly enough found no sign that this pony was from the realm of dreams. Dream ponies are not normally shape-shifters, so Nao should have been able to see the vibrant butterfly wings if this were, indeed, a dream pony. However, Nao's search halted abruptly on the locket around the mare's neck. Now, Nao still couldn't see very well in the sunlight, but this thing seemed to be imbued with some sort of dream world magic.

"O-oh, uh, what's that?" Nao said, gesturing towards the necklace.

"Oh my... I-it's very pretty. There's something about it, though... Seems to me it's got a bit of magic." Nao said, struggling to keep her eyes from giving an anxious flash of light.

"Just the, uh- feel of it. Magic has a kind of aura to it..." Nao replied anxiously. "I-I, uh, live with some unicorns, I should know." she added so she wouldn't seem suspicious as a pegasus with that much knowledge of magic.

"M-maybe. I wonder what the magic does. It seems like a strong enough aura that it's not just residual traces, but a purposeful spell of some kind." Nao said with an an awkward grin. "M-my unicorn brother likes to play tricks by putting spells on my things, so I've learned to tell the difference."

Nao desperately hoped she didn't sound like she was prying for information at this point.

"Oh..." Nao said, running out of ways to drag information from this mare. "Uh... Hey, between you and me... You ever heard of some beasts called nightmares?"

"O-oh... Really?" Nao said, not sure if the mare had let her locket's purpose slip by accident or if she was simply becoming more comfortable with Nao. "My, that is an impressive trinket. No wonder it feels so strongly of magic."

it was a little of both. she didn't mean to let it slip but she was becoming more comfortable with her and keeping secrets all the time makes you want to let some out "yes... erm... so your okay so maybe i should be going...." she said the last part kind of urgently as she saw a imperial guard on the street. she pulled her hood on which had slipped off.

Archived