Windows 8.1

Now if they'd only fix IE 10. In case y'all haven't noticed, IE 10 does NOT properly interface with Canterlot.com. Found that out the hard way on two of my PC's that got automatically updated with it. I tried using Firefox when I log in here, but Firefox also doesn't interface 100% with this site. So I have to use a 'Restore point' backtrack on those two PCs to restore IE 9 so I can fully access Canterlot.com AND shut off the 'automatic updates' so IE 10 never returns.

I think you have more serious issues with your puter since Canterlot was PRIMARILY run with IE10 and Chrome in mind and in use.

Works perfectly here and always had done when I was running it. XD

Failfox unfortunately doesn't actually fully support HTML5 because Mozilla keep stating "HTML5 isn't standardised yet" ...when it's clearly all over the place now.

I think you have more serious issues with your puter since Canterlot was PRIMARILY run with IE10 and Chrome in mind and in use.

Works perfectly here and always had done when I was running it. XD

Failfox unfortunately doesn't actually fully support HTML5 because Mozilla keep stating "HTML5 isn't standardised yet" ...when it's clearly all over the place now.

Oh now we're doing browser wars now? How fun! Let me do another one. PS3 is better than Xbox360. "P

We all know, nothing is perfect. Even though a lot of people tend to stay away, I can feel this is just like how Win 8 is like a Vista 2.0 while Win 7 is like an XP.

Anyway, the alternative start menus are always our best friend. Remember guys and gals, upon using Win 8.1 for the first time, the annoyances including Metro will always be there, we just need to tweak with them first and eliminate the things we don't want and then, done. I hate to repeat myself, but to put it this way, it's just like educating a bad dog, over time, with proper training, it finally obeys every word you say.

Speaking of the game may not work, I traced in Wiki, we got a few to name,

Several notable video game developers criticized Microsoft for making its Windows Store a closed platform subject to its own regulations, as it conflicted with their view of the PC as an open platform. Markus "Notch" Persson,[137] Gabe Newell (co-founder of Valve Corporation and developer of software distribution platform Steam),[138] and Rob Pardo from Activision Blizzard voiced concern about the closed nature of the Windows Store.[139] However, Tom Warren of The Verge stated that Microsoft's addition of the Store was simply responding to the success of both Apple and Google in pursuing the "curated application store approach."[140]

That's quite some number of them, and after all, there are always patches and service packs and 8.1 should be the latest in case if a game or distribution software doesn't work, it's just working out on the compatibilities, man. Let's hope it'll stay ok so it'll become a worthy upgrade and not to rant further about it regarding the Metros and charms and such.

Okay, if it's that good, I'l get a update from 7 ASAP Happy now? :oops: But I'l keep my lifeboat laptop with XP :evil: not arguing about that! Idefix! we go!

As a technician, as someone with windows 7 and 8 on two different desktops, as a tech afficianado, and as somebody who's been running microsoft operating systems since 95? Don't do it. Just don't. It's not worth it at all. I have never heard anyone say in person that they prefer windows 8 over windows 7 unless they are using a tablet, and I work with a lot of people getting new computers throughout the day. The interface is a wretched mess, the 'flick' interface pops up more often than not when you don't want it to, there are still ridiculous continuity issues (did you know your settings menu is different depending on whether you're on the start screen or desktop view? true story), and the only solid benefit is it boots up in about 30-70% of the time as a 7 install on the same machine, with the downside of being far harder to remove from a machine than 7 is.

Just don't.

(did you know your settings menu is different depending on whether you're on the start screen or desktop view? true story)

This is incorrect information.

From Charms > Settings on either desktop or start screen you will get the PC settings 'app'.

However if you are in, say for example, the TweetRo+ RT app from the Windows app store and go to Charms > Settings, you'll get the settings for that particular app.

This makes things nice and consistent. Not much different to the behaviour of the Amiga workbench 'menu bar' at the top of the screen which changes options depending on what's running or in the foreground.

To note: if they're using a tablet, it's most likely they're using Windows RT... NOT Windows 8.

P.p.s. To remove / install another operating system from Windows 8, Charms > Settings > General > Select 'Advanced Start-up'

This will restart your puter and boot from the CDrom which I'll assume you've popped your Win 95 disc in or whatever. Not difficult at all. XD

This is incorrect information.

From Charms > Settings on either desktop or start screen you will get the PC settings 'app'.

However if you are in, say for example, the TweetRo+ RT app from the Windows app store and go to Charms > Settings, you'll get the settings for that particular app.

This makes things nice and consistent. Not much different to the behaviour of the Amiga workbench 'menu bar' at the top of the screen which changes options depending on what's running or in the foreground.

http://i.imgur.com/JAgNwYp.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/lNrskXh.jpg

So none of the access options in these settings menus are the same. I'm pretty sure that makes them inconsistent. You can't even access the control panel from the start screen without manually creating a shortcut on it to do so.

That aside, I see on average about three or four computers a month where the user's attempted to install windows 7 in place of windows 8, and the machine has stopped functioning. Not because the user handled the OS install incorrectly, but because the hard drive has been formatted with multiple hidden partitions that the user couldn't remove through normal means, or in some cases that don't actually count because the hardware simply wasn't supported by windows 7.

Also to note... All games and drivers etc that worked on 7 will and do work on 8.

If you're looking for win 8 drivers but cant find, just use win 7 drivers. I've not come across anything that didn't work before 8.

I've come across several printers, most of them Canon, that do not have software packages available for windows 8, as well as a handful of cameras. While most hardware will work okay, not all peripherals are compatable. I've also seen a few software packages for XP that worked with 7, but not 8.

Older models of printer, scanners and other stuff will have problems to keep up the times as there's a risk of the models getting obsolete, therefore, will not support Windows 8. Usually the manufacturers will focus on up-to-date models and a few older ones, those which are much older than old surely will not get the Windows 8 benefit, so it is time to upgrade.

We all worried about the compatibilities too, but for this case, it's going to be fine just as long as we keep up with the times. And sooner or later, it will update. Like Autumn once said, many drivers can still be installed as Windows 8 almost has the same nature as Windows 7. I didn't said "is", of course, I cannot be always 100% correct as there are times people can be wrong. ;)

Have you tweaked at MSConfig to reduce the number of apps? These are your main culprits for a slow startup. XP suffers the slow boot and slow installation during reformatting. 7 should eliminate that and 8.1 is even better.

Google around if you need help when it comes to slow boots like these. ;)

• 3 months later...

Recently updated to 8.1.

Gotta admit, I'm not impressed. The update seemed really necessary. After the update I had several driver issues, something several people have had. I was able to solve most of the issues by re-installing software and updating drivers, but it all involved things that I shouldn't have to do with an update. I didn't purchase or download any hardware or software before the update that would suggest an immediate compatibility issue.

The most annoying part was sorting out the drivers for my computer as it related to my video card. I have a Nvidia GeForce 730M for my Acer laptop and after the update, games would lag at the menu screens. I couldn't solve the issue for a week before I was finally able to resolve it through driver installs, several restarts, and understanding how the 8.1 update deals with video card drivers. It seems as though 8.1 has a compatibility issue with Nvidia's Optimus program, which utilizes the use of the motherboard's video card settings (usually intel HD graphics) with the dedicated video card that a computer might have. But for Windows 8.1, it requires some working around the driver softwares in order to get it to work. On troubleshooting forums, I noticed people having these exact issues in mid October, and here in mid-December there has been no solution that comes easy for people trying to optimize a Windows 8.1 OS for multi-tasking and gaming.

tldr - Don't update to 8.1 unless you're a casual computer user who doesn't play a lot of games.

Oh, interesting perspective.

Hmm, that also I've been reminded people had trouble with their mouse last time but managed to solved it via an update.

Anyway, sorry for your problem, I know people are not used to it for we know, we all have doubts when Win7 was released and the question came to everybody's mind on every OS' major update, will it work on Win7 and so forth?

Archived