The Hip-Hop Thread

There's a Metal thread and that's awesome, but also as an avid fan of Hip-Hop, I feel there needs to be a Hip-Hop thread.

Now before we begin with sharing our favorite groups and MC's, let me say a few things on the genre.

This isn't to be confused with Rap. Now if you like Rap, like Li'l Wayne, Puff Daddy or Jay-Z, okay, I won't be provocative or anything, but I have some rather divisive views between Rap and Hip-Hop. I'll open this with the words of the father of modern Hip-Hop, KRS-One, paraphrased: "Rap is something you do, but Hip-Hop is something you live." Rappers can front and show off wealth in the faces of those less fortunate all they want, but it won't change the heart and soul of the roots of Hip-Hop and the people who maintain that spirit, whether they be African, Caucasian, Asian, Latino or anything else under the sun.

Hip-Hop can be one of the angriest and most scornful genres in the airwaves, what with artists such as N.W.A, 2Pac, Chuck D and Public Enemy, Immortal Technique, Vinnie Paz and Jedi Mind Tricks. But at the same time it is one of the most conscious and thought provoking genres an ear can absorb (which attests to some of my animosity to mainstream Rap). Perhaps this track can sum it up:

With that being said, it's as much entertainment as it is a thought process. But let's get to the music. There are some great well-known MC's out there as well as underground artists, such as Talib Kweli, Lupe Fiasco, Mos Def; but a majority of the guys I listen to are underground.

Now before we get started, to avoid any thread locking due to NSFW videos with 'questionable' visual content or strong language, I suggest posting the name of the song and artist instead of a video. Believe me, if there was an 18+ sub-section in Entertainment, I'd post videos until doomsday. Who knows, I may move it some day. I mostly want some exposure now with the general site to get a discussion going.

But here's a general list of some of my favorite artists and/or albums: Immortal Technique (He can easily be identified as the most controversial name in the underground scene, due to his venomous lyrics and political views, but some of his best works are 'Revolutionary Vols. 1 and 2', 'The 3rd World', and 'The Martyr') Nas, Pharoahe Monch (W.A.R. We Are Renegades), Binary Star, Lowkey (Soundtrack to the Struggle), Akrobatik, Jedi Mind Tricks, 2Pac, N.W.A