Special Delivery: Hay Family Farm (ENDED)

Mojo

Aquaria nodded as the pair of ponies seemed unwilling to believe that she knew anyone that brave. "I am familiar with a gentleman who is not particularly interested in identifier marks. I believe that a statistically significant portion of the population would find his appearance preferable," the mare explained vaguely as she tried in her own strange way to advertise her friend.

She watched the sisters argue and bicker back and forth. After their short spectacle, Haymaker apologized for her craven actions.

"He is also patient as well," she commented simply with a straight face. The strange mare didn't seem to find anything funny, her expression seeming carved in stone.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:"Tell ya what, sis," Haywire said to Haymaker, "I'll clean up the table an' take care of the dishes while you and Miss Asteria talk about that feller."

"That's, very nice of you, thanks," the taller sister said with a smile as the blank flank filly started to work.

"So, Miss Asteria," Haymaker said in peaked curiousity, "please tell me all about him. Does he live in Canterlot? Does he travel? How long have you known him?"

"Thank you for cleaning the table Lady Haywire," she commented politely before deciding to address the curious older sister. She paused for a moment as she thought of a way to address her questions.

"He lives in Canterlot, but he travels almost as much as I do. I have known him since we shared classes at the Royal University of Canterlot. He majored in irrigation architecture," Asteria explained politely as she showed off her friend as a classy individual. I think he prefers secrecy, but I might be able to tell you a few more details.

"WOW! He sounds absolutely dreamy, Miss Asteria!" Haymaker neighed as she moved in closer. "Is he a unicorn like you? Is he royalty? Is thar anyway I kin persuade ya ta introduce me ta him?"

"Whoa thar sis!" Haywire shouted as she came back in the dining room to grab more things from the table, "I ain't never seen ya so excited before! Yur gitt'n so worked up yur gonna burst!"

"Oh, how I wanna meet this guy! Miss Asteria, what's his name?"

"Lady Haymaker, I believe that there may be some value in the mystery of not knowing. If your expectations are set too high, nobody will up to them," Asteria warned the eager mare. She looked over the two females for a moment and thought of a proper way to address her questions.

"His name is Gerrard and he is not a unicorn. It is a common misconception that the residents of the city are overwhelmingly unicorn. While there may be a plurality of unicorns, there are many non unicorn residents, foreigners and exchange students as well. He has never mentioned royalty, but he does have an office at the university," she explained politely for the sisters. Asteria wasn't sure how they might respond, but decided to stay open minded in regards to their concerns.

"I can introduce you to him. He is a friend of mine. I can assure you that I have no immediate romantic needs from him. I promise to avoid interruption of any potential relationship with him," the odd mare commented politely as she basically promised to remain robotic.

Haymaker was now delighted beyond words. Her mare heart began to race at the prospect of meeting an elegant gentlecolt from Canterlot! The red maned lanky Earth mare was literally starstruck.

"Oh, I would sure appreciate all this, Miss Asteria," Haymaker said in a giddy manner. She was so awestruck that when she tried to pour herself a glass of lemonade, she didn't even notice she was 'missing' the glass and pouring it on the table.

"HAY SIS!" Haywire shouted, "Watch what yur doin'! Look at this here mess!"

Suddenly brought back to 'reality,' Haymaker now saw what she had done.

"Er, surry bout, Haywire, I'll clean it up later. Oh Miss Asteria, I gotta ask, how soon could ya arrange all this?"

Aquaria nodded as Haymaker expressed her gratitude to her. She could tell that her words had resonated with her white coated counterpart. Her fiery red eyes drifted to see the mishap with the glass, the courier able to tell that this meant a lot to her. When Haywire shouted at her older sister, the calm unicorn blinked before deciding to speak. "Lady Haywire, your sister means no ill will, I believe that she is distracted because of her interest in dating my friend. I believe her composure may not fully return until she meets him," Asteria speculated openly as she tried to diagnose the condition of the lovesick mare.

When Haymaker asked how soon it could be arranged, the black mare blinked, finding the question almost strange. "I can arrange for it as early today, assuming you can manage a trip to Canterlot. If that is not possible, I can arrange a meeting here as early as tomorrow. I do not believe that time will be much of an issue. I believe that he is scheduled to be off of work tonight and the next few days," she explained calmly to her while she eyed the door. The courier wasn't sure just how much she wanted to see her potential date.

"WOW!" Haywire shouted as she stood still when Asteria was addressing her. "I still love the way ya talk all fancy like that!"

"Nevermind that sis," Haymaker said to her sister before turning her attention back towards the unicorn mare. "I'm willin' ta meet this here feller of yurs anytime, anywhar! Might be better if'n he could come here ta visit though."

"Yeah! That way we could all meet'm!" Haywire neighed as she continued clearing the table.

"On second thought, maybe I orta jist come out ta Canterlot," Haymaker said in a whisper to Asteria, "I sure don't want mah dumb brother er mah trouble makin' little sister ta mess this up fer me. How soon kin we arrange it?"

Asteria listened to the sisters, the calm courier having learned to stop addressing the complimentary outbursts of the easily impressed younger sister. When Haymaker suggested they meet at the farm, the unicorn blinked only to have the older sister backtrack immediately as Haywire asked to meet him at the same time. "Perhaps it would be best if Haymaker decided to judge his character before your family met him," Asteria explained politely as she gave the older sister an excuse to not share her date with her awkward family.

When asked about how soon they could arrive in Canterlot, the unicorn paused as she thought over the fastest way the journey could be made. "The next train leaves Ponyville Station in approximately thirty minutes. If we left on that train, I believe that we could arrive in the city just prior to sunset. Of course we can delay that for as long as you wish if you wish to meet him another day. He is a patient individual and would be willing to cover your transportation costs Lady Haymaker," Asteria explained precisely, her words even seeming to suggest that he was a wealthy person as well!

Haymaker was delighted! A trip to Canterlot to meet a handsome, dashing guy! She couldn't wait to go!

"Give me a minute, Miss Asteria! I'll be back here to two shakes, ready to go!" the lanky red maned mare shouted as she galloped upstairs.

"Wow wee!" Haywire neighed. "Ain't never seen mah sister move fast in mah whole life..."

Before the rust colored filly could finish her sentence, Haymaker rushed down the stairs. She was wearing her fanciest dress and had loaded saddlebags on her back.

"Ok! I'm ready to meet mah dreamboat! While we're in Canterlot, I kin make some more business contacts to sell our hay to! Haywire, tell Hayseed he's in charge till I git back."

"Okey Dokey!" Haywire neighed as she saluted her sister.

"I understand Lady Haymaker, I can wait for your return," Asteria patiently remarked while she waited for her new friend to return. The strange courier glanced over to the young filly and paused as she gathered her words.

"I promise to do everything in my power to ensure the safe trip of your sister," Asteria explained cautiously, the quick moving adult getting back to ground level surprisingly quick.

"Let's go Lady Haymaker, Canterlot awaits our arrival," Asteria explained, leading her white coated friend on to her future date!

(ooc): Fast forwarding entry

The entire family went with Haymaker and Asteria to the train station. Even Mojo tagged along, blowing the red maned Earth mare a kiss before she promptly threw a lantern at his head that nearly knocked him unconscious. Hayseed and Haywire waved goodbye to their sister as the train departed.

The long train ride seemed like it didn't take long at all to the well dressed Haymaker. As she looked out the window, the scenery parading in front of her face, the red maned Earth mare was daydreaming about the guy she was about to meet. She pictured him as a tall, dark, handsome stallion with a dazzling smile and wearing a tuxedo with pink carnation. He stood high on a hill as Haymaker, in her dream wearing a white, frilly dress, all but floated up the staircase towards him. Closer and closer the excited mare came to her dream lover before planting a big kiss on his lips. Then her lover shouts...

"Hey lady! I'm flattered, but I think I'm a little old for you!"

It was only then that Haymaker's eyes opened to see she had just kissed the kindly elderly conductor stallion. This made the red maned mare look very embarrassed as many of the passengers on the train laughed. As the train came to a stop at the Canterlot Station, Haymaker looked over at Asteria.

"I can't thank ya enough fer this! When will I git ta meet'm? Is he meet'n us at the station?"

Asteria waved farewell to Haymaker's family saying nothing in particular as they departed on the train. When she absentmindedly kissed the conductor, the black mare blinked, finding her actions strange. Her experiences had taught her that people often acted strangely when they were distracted or in love. In this situation, it seemed to be the latter, but it would likely have been rude to assert such a thing, so the solemn courier remained silent. When thanked for her services, the black unicorn nodded, glancing out the window as she thought over the questions.

"We will be able to meet him in roughly an hour Lady Haymaker. I have no means of communicating across long distances, he has no way of knowing that I am coming to him with a new friend. He has made it abundantly clear in my numerous dealings with him that he is always looking for working women to date. We will be able to contact him at his office in the university. We will be able to arrive a few minutes before his scheduled time of departure," Asteria explained calmly to her friend as she noted his odd requests. It was unclear if Asteria considered herself to be one of those working women, but she made the offer to her friend regardless.

The distant city was quickly coming into view as they would be arriving in the city in a matter of minutes. "Lady Haymaker, have you ever been to Canterlot before? The common stories of it being a cruel place are greatly exaggerated," at least in my biased opinion," she asked a bit curiously, almost as if she needed to gauge Haymaker for her possible date.

"He has an office at the University?" Haymaker asked excitedly, "The more I hear about this feller yur settin' me up with, the more I like'm already!"

As the train approached the station, the lanky red maned Earth mare adjusted her dress and took the time to look at her reflection in a window glass to make sure she looked her best. Then she heard Asteria's next question.

"Well Miss Asteria, I've been ta Canterlot a few times on business. We Hay Family members sell our top quality hay all over Equestria! Never stayed longer than a day or two here though. Lookin' forward ta takin' in more of the town an' maybe visiting a few of mah hay customers here too."

Asteria listened as her lanky friend mused over her potential boyfriend. The unicorn decided to further clarify his occupation for her as the train came to a stop. "He works in the architecture department, irrigation in particular. There is a substantial chance that he may have worked on the systems that water your farm," she explained in a speculative manner as she remembered her associate suggesting that his department was small.

Asteria carefully lead her friend off the train as they entered the crowded streets of the city. "The university campus is only a few blocks away. If we keep a brisk pace, we should be there in a few minutes. Let's continue please," Asteria politely remarked as the sun began to wane in the sky.

"The sunset will happen in less than half of an hour, we should be able to meet him with a sufficient amount of spare time," she explained in her usual dry manner, her choice of words almost seeming to hint at her desire to get to the campus.

"Well, workin' fer the government's gotta be an important job!" Haymaker neighed in delight. "This feller almost sounds too good ta be true! Can't wait ta meet'm!"

The lanky red maned Earth mare followed Asteria and listened to her as she spoke along the way.

"Don't ya worry bout me, Miss Asteria, I kin keep up with ya, lead the way!"

She heard Asteria's comments about the time.

"I reckon it is gitt'n a little dark now, and what do ya mean by, spare time? Is he still on duty an' goin' on some kinda lunch break er somethin'?"

"I would imagine that water distribution in Equestria is highly important in Equestria. We use water much more than griffons do in our farming practices. Then there is the obvious drinking of water as well that is required for nearly all creatures to survive," the black mare explained neutrally as she stated that it was necessary, although to varying degrees from culture to culture. She lead Haymaker through the city streets, avoiding the glances of most of the busy natives as they neared their destination.

"Lunch breaks would only occur at this time if an employee worked a later shift, but most Canterlot residents prefer to sleep at night. I simply wish to get to his office before he leaves for the night. It would waste additional time if we had to walk across town to get to his home," she explained calmly as they wandered upon the university campus. Towering buildings and lush green lawns painted the ground as the pair approached the office building that Asteria spoke of.

"Ah! He's a guy who knows his way around a farm!" Haymaker squealed as the lanky red maned mare continued to follow Asteria, "I jist know we're gonna hit it off really great!"

As the well dressed Haymaker trotted to keep up with the dark pelted unicorn mare, her mind began to wonder. She daydreamed about approaching her dreamlover at his office door. As in her previous daydream, the red maned Earth mare pictured him as a dashing looking stallion dressed in a tuxedo, but this time, he held a rose in his mouth and quickly placed it in her red mane. Gasping for joy, Haymaker looked deeply into his soft, brown eyes... until her 'dream' was broken when the still trotting mare nearly tripped on a sidewalk. Now back to reality, Haymaker listened to more information from Asteria.

"Oh, I kin understand that, Miss Asteria. You know this here town a heap better than me. Is it much further yet?"

"He is required to bring all of his tools across Equestria to perform his duties. You could say that he has more strength than a normal person. He has jokingly spoke of himself as a mule for the labor he often has to do," she speculated aloud, almost suggesting that he was a capable farmhand as well.

When her friend tripped, Asteria blinked and glanced over to the earth pony mare. "Lady Haymaker, I would avoid daydreaming. Spraining your ankle would complicate your date. It would greatly reduce the date options for the two of you," Asteria warned politely as they walked up to the office door.

"I believe that we are here," she explained, Asteria carefully opening the door to reveal a figure to Haymaker. It was the most dashing and charming white stallion with a dark lustrous mane. "Oh it has been too long Lady Asteria. Oh and you brought a friend, lovely, " the stallion remarked in a formal Canterlot accent as he looked over the pair of mares with his bright brown eyes.

The moment the door opened and Haymaker saw the white stallion begin to address Asteria, the heart of the young red maned mare started to flutter. Her eyes grew as wide as saucers and her mouth gasped open at the site of the dashing looking male in front of her. She was so excited, the goofy, lovestruck grin on her face got wider and wider. Her mind was an instant jumble of thoughts, daydreams and raw happy emotions that were in such a 'logjam' that all Haymaker could do was stand there, completely speechless. All she could do is stare at the handsome stallion, believe that she was at this moment in time, THE luckiest mare in the entire kingdom! Already her mind raced to picturing the two of them at the altar getting married and moving into a barn with a white picket fence. Haymaker wanted to jump for joy, to scream her happy thoughts off the top of her lungs, but she was so awestruck by the stallion in her presence that she remained speechless, with a beaming smile.

The unicorn raised his brow at her as she stood awkwardly with her mouth agape. His brow furled as he glanced over to the black mare with disgust. "Okay, you win Asteria, there are mares stranger than you in Canterlot. But I won't honor the bet because she is clearly country folk and not a classy individual, " he rudely remarked to both mares before stomping off in disgust.

Asteria blinked at the spectacle, and maintained her composure. "I apologize if you believe I am here to collect on a debt sir. I am here at request of Sir Gerrard. He wanted to meet new people, especially those that weren't clients. Sorry for any confusion," she politely remarked as he started to walk away.

"Oh that feather duster? She is a perfect match for him," he scoffed while walking away. Asteria anticipated a negative reaction from the mare and stepped behind Haymaker. "I would advise against physical violence in public Lady Haymaker," Asteria cautiously warned as a light flapping noise was faintly audible to the pair.

A large black griffon had carefully landed on the back of Asteria and scoped over the well dressed earth pony. "Oh madame, pay him no mind. He simply has to work this upcoming holiday and his saddle is in a knot. Grayfeather, Gerrard Grayfeather at your service madame," the griffon politely remarked from behind the earth pony in a Canterlot accent as he did a spot on formal stallion impression.

A devilish smirk crept across his maw as he leaned in to an awkwardly close position with the earth pony. His golden eyes peered ahead and down as he stood atop his patient perch. Asteria decided to remain quiet for a moment, knowing that her friend hated being interrupted!

The words of the handsome stallion who greeted them at the door cut through Haymaker like a knife. The smile and 'bugged eyed look' of wonderment quickly vanished from her face. 'Country?', spoke as if it were an insult? She came all the way from her Hay farm on a long train ride just to be rejected on the spot? Under normal circumstances, the lanky Earth mare would've decked the guy on the spot, but he quickly retreated just as Asteria wisely warned her not to resort to violence. Haymaker took a deep breath with a heavy sigh of resignation, preparing to leave with her heart broken. She had barely registered the other words spoken about a 'feather duster' and 'Sir Gerrard' in her sad, sullon mind. She felt both humiliated and downhearted, all she wanted to think about now was the long, sad train ride back to the farm. How would she explain this to her family? They'd never let her live this down!

Suddenly, a different male voice brought Haymaker back to reality. It was a kinder voice, and he seemed to be apologetic as well. Instantly, the ears of the downcast mare perked up, and then she raised her head up to see who was speaking to her. Under normal circumstances, she feared griffons. She never really met a kind one, and only heard rumors about a certain griffoness who visited Ponyville and caused trouble. However, in her current state of mind, the kind words and tone of Gerrard were comforting. Could THIS have been the 'guy' Asteria was trying to introduce her to all along? If so, he did seem much kinder than the previous stallion. Haymaker had refrained from crying, so there were no tears to wipe away. Her face brightened a bit, as the nervous mare stepped forward.

"H...hello sir," Haymaker said timidly, "mah name is Haymaker, it is a pleasure ta make yur acquaintance."

Haymaker bowed respectfully, now trying to sound less 'country' and more like a sophificated, cultured mare.

The smirk on the black beak of the griffon melted away into a smile as she timidly responded to his introduction. Gerrard carefully hopped off the back of his friend and glanced across to the shy mare, the griffon a bit taller than her. "The honor is mine Miss Haymaker. Pleasure to meet you my lady," he politely remarked in a less formal town as he seemed to drop the overdone accent. He bowed back for the earth pony, spreading his huge black wingspan as he did so before returning to his normal posture.

"I must take my leave for the night, farewell," Asteria commented politely before turning away and charging off into the night. Gerrard waved her farewell before turning his attention back to the well dressed mare before him. "Is there anywhere in Canterlot you want to visit? Or would you just like to stay here and enjoy the last few moments of the sunset," the suave griffon asked politely as he gestured to the waning streaks of orange and red off in the sky to the west. "Your dress is the second most beautiful thing here this evening," he politely remarked while his eyes gazed off into the sunset. "I'll give you a clue though, the sunset is only number three," he playfully remarked for his date as he stood side to side with the previously distraught Earth Pony.

Haymaker's emotional roller coaster had finally came to a stop. In her present state of mind, the lanky red maned Earth mare lost her natural fear of griffons. At least this guy welcomed her rather than flat out rejected or insulted her. Still, Haymaker was quite nervous, not wanting to offend her new nost. Watching him return her bow convinced her that this was a griffon of good manners, also a plus.

"You are very kind to receive me on such short notice, Mr. Greyfeather, and I thank you for your kind words." Haymaker said, trying hard NOT to sound so 'country'. "I don't mean to be too forward, but I've had a long train ride from the Nimbusgait Lakes. Could we go out for some supper?"

As if to punctuate her request, Haymaker's stomach started to growl loudly, making the red maned mare look very embarrassed.

Haymaker waved goodbye to Asteria, who apparently decided to depart so the two of them could be alone. Now she was alone with Gerrard. Her mind raced with thoughts such as 'what do I say to a griffon?' and 'how can I be sure not to offend him?' The red maned mare smiled politely, but behind that grin was a very nervous pony.

"Mr. Grayfeather is my father. Feel free to call me Gerrard," he replied with a light laugh as he tried to get her to be less stiff in his presence. The griffon didn't like all the formalities that Canterlot seemed to require, but he didn't mind using it from time to time to make a great impression. "Just act natural Haymaker, the Canterlot ponies can smell a faker. Trust me, they won't say anything foolish when I'm around. Consider it a benefit of being friends with a 'scary' griffon, the jerks in the city bite their tongues so I can't," he joked as he lead his date off the campus grounds.

"Don't think of it as short notice. Would you complain if a friend came over on short notice to help you out? Of course not, it's great to have someone to talk to on lonely nights," he explained with a smile as he lead her on through the town at a cautious pace. The streets of Canterlot had thinned considerably from minutes earlier when the sun was out. It was quickly becoming manageable. He had heard her stomach growl as he thought over a place for them to eat. He decided to play a bit with his date, the griffon putting on an excited expression on his face as if he had an epiphany. "Ahh, I know a place that serves great fish and chips," he said in an excited manner, glancing over to the mare to judge her reaction.

After pausing for moment to gauge her expression, he laughed lightly and decided to help make her at ease a bit more. "I know a great nearby deli. I've been told they serve a mean grass loaf. Wanna ask me anything? I know that most ponies feel awkward around griffons at first. I feel like I have an unfair knowledge advantage on you," he added warmly spreading out his wings to show them off to her as they walked through the streets. His display helped clear the streets, giving her the space to ask anything she might have felt too awkward to around all the fancy locals.

Archived