A Trip to Town (Private)

Winter

The day was bright and sunny, just like Storm Feather's mood as she strolled into Ponyville. Though this was just a standard trip to stock up on supplies, Storm felt this day was special. Any day with this much sun and warmth during Winter was something to be cherished. As she walked by townsfolk, she nodded and gave out greetings indiscriminately to acquaintance and stranger alike, receiving both replied greetings and some funny looks from strangers. The hippogriff walked down the road pondering how to make a mundane and routine errand a bit more cheerful to fit the day. There is a sandwich place not far from here, maybe I could grab a nice lunch before going to the market she thought to herself as she changed course to head to another part of town. A quiet lunch out in the sunshine would give her plenty of time to enjoy the day.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Charged Bolt was transporting around clouds, ensuring everything was perfectly clear. He noticed the hippogriff below, and stopped. "Huh... I don't think I've ever seen her before..." He mumbled to himself, and accidentally leaned against the cloud. Upon doing so the cloud started to release it's water droplets onto her. He gasped softly. "Ugh... Stupid me..."

Smooth and slick darkness closed down on Storm Feather's vision as the water soaked the feathers above her eyes, causing them to droop down over her line of sight. After a moment of crouched shock, she straightened back up, wiped the water from her face with the swift motion of a claw, and looked around for the cause of this disturbance. It was a lovely day, where did this rain come from? Her head turned left, then right, and finally up to see a dark grey pegasus looking down at her, the offending cloud floating next to him. Glaring at him, she called out to him, "Hey, what's going on up there?!"

"Well... alright, then. Just be more careful next time." Storm responded coldly. At this point in time, she felt inclined to simply disengage and walk away. After some thought to the matter, however, she decided she may as well introduce herself to this pony. Storm could tell the pony was already sorry, she didn't want to make him feel worse. A smile slowly crept back onto her face and she extended a talon in greeting. "My name is Storm Feather, nice to meet you."

After a quick moment of considering her options, Storm Feather decided to invite her new acquaintance with her to lunch. "I'm just here to get lunch and buy some supplies. Would you like to go with me? - for the lunch, that is! I don't want to bore you with my errands...." she inquired. Some company wouldn't be a bad thing; Storm had never really explored the town more than she needed to, and as a result didn't know many of the ponies here.

"Sometimes when I pass by here on errands I walk near a little sandwich shop. I've never actually eaten there, before... Today could be the first time," Storm replied, starting to walk down the road. If she recalled correctly, it wouldn't take much more than a few minutes of walking down this well used path. The ground was damp and small fissures opened on its trodden surface with each step. The hippogriff turned towards her companion, intent on making some attempt at small talk. "So... what do you do around here? Weather pony, I guess?"

"Oh, I, uh, work as a blacksmith up in Cloudsdale. I run a shop called 'The Iron Wing,'" Storm responded. "That is why I am here, actually... I ran out of wood polish for a shield I was working on." At the next turn, the duo turned left to see the sandwich parlor. Faded red letters in an overly fancy font on an old wooden sign showed the dilapidated nature of the place. At one point in time, this shop could have been thriving, with a rich and beautiful backdrop for families of kind ponies to enjoy. Now, however, Storm walked the dirt path through the overgrown yard up to the window, a chasm with a cover of spider webs into a rickety wooden building. A stout mare with a grey coat and black mane looked up from her magazine through the window at the newcomer.

"What'dya want?" the pony asked in an annoyed tone.

Storm Feather took a step back and looked to her friend, expecting him to order first.

The mare glanced at him, then towards Storm. "Alright, what about you?"

Storm Feather looked the mare up and down, trying to find a name tag or some other form of identification. Her searches being fruitless, Storm decided to abandon her efforts and just order some lunch. "I'd like a sandwich with..." Storm's voice trailed off and a contemplative hum took its place. "Lettuce and roasted onion, please."

The window's occupant nodded slowly and retreated back into the building. Soft clanks and clatters could be heard from inside, presumably from the preparation of the food.

He looked around for a seat and upon finding one, he sat down in it. He then looked at Storm. "So, you run The Iron Wing? I've been there a few times, mostly for stuff like decorative swords and things like that. You do a decent job."

Storm Feather took the seat opposite Charged Bolt and looked to him. "Oh... thanks. I do do a lot of decorative stuff. I'd like to do some more of the sturdy things, but not many clients are the type of adventurer we used to have." She turned her head back towards the window, an audible clank of a refrigerator coming from within, followed by the soft sizzle of something being put on a stove top. "So what is it like, being a weather pony in Ponyville?"

He thought for a moment, before he smiled. "It's not bad. The job is rather fun and I get to meet a lot of ponies. Sometimes I even have to travel large distances and see new places because a storm can sometimes get out of control." He then frowned. "Though it's not fun when you or any of your friends get hurt." He sighed softly.

"Oh, that's good," Storm Feather started. "I can imagine being a weather pony being dangerous... One time, when I was g -"

"Hey you! Food is ready!" The other mare interrupted with a shout. Two plates with sandwiches were quickly shoved through the window onto the splintered wood counter. Storm stood quickly and walked the short distance back to the building and reached for the plate. "Seven bits," the mare stated, glaring at the hippogriff.

Storm Feather reached into her pack to pull out some bits. While doing so, she looked back to Charged Bolt who emitted a soft sigh. Feeling a bit like sighing herself, she procured 7 bits and put them on the wooden table. She grabbed her plate and said in a pleasant whisper, "Thank you." With that, she turned back towards the table, waiting for Charged Bolt to get his food.

The mare responded with, "Yeah, yeah, have a good day and all that."

Storm Feather beckoned Charged Bolt to the table. Once they were both seated, she looked back at the window to make sure the salespony wasn't looking, then back to Charged Bolt and whispered with a scowl, "Well... I'm not coming back here any time soon." With that, she bit into the sandwich, an audible crunch of the lettuce and onion making a testament to the freshness of the ingredients.

Storm couldn't deny that, so she nodded in agreement. It would be rude to talk with a stuffed beak! After gulping down the delicious bite, she responded, "Yeah... it is sad. This place could be so much nicer. It was before..." Storm followed up the reply with a sigh. Truly, coming by the shop on her frequent trips to town and watching it deteriorate was a saddening experience. "Oh well. Where do you usually go for food around here?"

The hippogriff replied with a nod and popped the last of the sandwich into her mouth. These sandwiches were definitely good. After clearing her mouth of the last remnants of her lunch, Storm spoke up again, "Well, thanks for the lunch. I think I'll go finish my errands now." The chair creaked as she got up from it to say her goodbyes.

Archived