A Trip to Town (Private)

Winter

Storm Feather was astounded at the selection of books set before her! So many different genres were expressed in so few titles. How to Train Your Pony, A Pegasus' Guide to Advanced Flight Patterns, Jack and the Giant Griffon, The Elements of Jazz, and various other titles of a sweeping array, but in only a small number from each grouping. Sadly, new editions of her favourite series were not present. Perhaps there was a smithing book hidden away in the pile? After some quick searching around, Storm Feather pulled her claw out and procured Smithing: A Fine Art. This book seemed to focus more on the fine aspects of smithing in a decorative fashion, such as methods to perfect the folds in the metal, making them either more pronounced to make a striped effect or forcing them so thin that they are hardly visible at all! "This book... Shoeshine, I'd really like this book. How much would this and the polish cost me?"

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Storm's knapsack jingled as she reached in to pull out the seven bits required for payment. Once the proper coinage had been corralled and handed to the kind mare, Storm blew on the polish to ensure there weren't any stray spiderwebs left behind and picked up the book. A sheepish grin spread across her face and her head bowed slightly towards Shoeshine, "Thank you, and have a nice day." One rear hoof was placed behind the other as the hippogriff began to back up and turn around out of the shop.

As Storm Feather followed the pegasus, she quickly realized he was heading towards the Everfree Forest. No surprise there, there were tons of trees in that forest... but it still seemed a bit spooky. It was definitely not the place to go alone. Thankful for her companion, she followed him. "So.. this Woodsy guy, how do yo know him?"

• 2 weeks later...

(Hey, sorry about being 'dead'. It was the christmas season, lots to be done. But I'm back.)

"Actually, it wasn't that bad. You see, there are paths going through the Everfree, ones that are pretty safe. Just stick to them, and you're good."

(No problem at all, life happens! Welcome back :) )

"Oh, okay. I haven't been through there very often, so I never really took the time to check for the paths... Your friend lives on one of them, then?" Storm began, trying to ensure the safety of the venture. "If he does, I could probably start going by there for lumber in the future."

"He doesn't live right next to one, but he lives close. The worst I've ever had is a couple of scratches and that was my own fault, I stumbled into prricky bushes." Charged smirked. "I really should have been watching where I was going."

Storm looked away from the path ahead and towards her traveling companion. A smirk came to her face as she noticed he was trying to hide a blush. A quick mental run-through of the events of the trip so far made it clear she had made a new friend. It was nice to have someone to show her around, and the hippogriff felt the need to thank him for the adventure. "Bolt, thank you for showing me around. This will really make my future trips easier for me, and it has been fun... Could I maybe try to find you next time I need help finding things?"

"I'll be sure to stop by next time I come to town," Storm said reassuringly. "I think after the lumber it would be smart not to try to get more stuff... it might be kind of difficult to carry. I did want to go to the local farmer's market, but I'll just have to stock up on food in Cloudsdale."

"I don't know, last time I had to get a tree it took myself and three other ponies to get it out... although only one actually helped me fly it up to Cloudsdale. We'll have to see." Storm looked around at the trees nearby. They were mostly dark and twisted, with gnarled branches and deep knots. These didn't seem like they would be great to work with, hopefully Charged Bolt's friend had better quality. "So, is your friend's place much farther?"

Storm Feather looked behind her worriedly, then moved with Charged Bolt into the clearing. This area seemed far less foreboding. A pool of water echoing with the sounds of life helped alleviate the sense of dread the Everfree was so famous for. Storm couldn't help but gasp at the sudden change of scenery. Not only did the wildlife seem nicer, the flora mirrored the positive tone of the clearing. The trees here were marvelous, and through the few stumps that were left presumably by her Ponyville guide's friend she could see that the wood quality was just as high inside of the wood as outside. "Oh... oh my." Storm paused, saving a mental picture of the area. "This is really nice. I wouldn't expect something like this in the Everfree."

Archived