Skyward Pirates OOC

XanXeto

I've got a few questions about how you want to run things, Xan.

The first is about timing of posts: if a ship isn't going to be taking any action at a point in time (I.E. it's in port, or in transit between two locations) but it will be involved in some thing later that day, and if it doesn't involve characters currently in the scene, could the players of that ship start doing something that takes place later in the day?

The case in point: the Kestrel isn't involved in the current battle, and I doubt any other ships will be involved in investigating the Everfree (for the moment at least), so should I be trying to get the investigation going now or .should I wait until the battle ends and there's some kind of time skip?

The second is about the investigation itself. I'm assuming you have some specific ideas about what's happening to the surface, and with that in mind I'm wondering: would you want to handle that and have the player(s) just manage character actions and reactions, would you want to just give us/me a set of rules and guidelines for that sort of thing and let us manage it, or something in between?

I realized as I was writing my last post that there are some things I should clarify about the Kestrel before it gets involved in combat, partly to clarify what I'm doing in a given post, and partly to make sure I'm not breaking any of the setting by doing so.

The Kestrel has 6 exterior armaments: 5 lightning cannons, one mounted in a turret on the upper deck and the remain 4 on the outside of the main deck, two to each side. The final weapon is a single, oversized cannon built into a turret on the underside of the ship, and is designed to fire specially made canisters capable of carrying a variety of payloads. On the Kestrel, this gun tends to be used more to deliver specialized payloads than to do direct damage.

Lightning cannons: guns based on pegasi weather control magic, which as expected shoot a bolt of lightning at their targets. They're highly ammo and space efficient, as them feeding off of a power source negates the need for cannon balls and powder. In the right hooves they are very precise weapons, however they typically are less effective than more traditional cannons at attacking ships as they do minimal damage directly to ship hulls and are only effective if they directly hit specific targets such as engines, particular weapons, or individual crewmembers.

@ Dashingblade: Accepted, my apologizes for not responding to this any sooner. If you've been keeping up, I've been slightly busy with work and school and have had little to no time to check anything, and the darn notifications doesn't notify me of anything. :/ Anyways, welcome, and please feel free to post whenever!

@ DerpRavener: That sounds awesome! Do, however, keep those guns up. As we steer away from the fight at hand and head into the first Saga of the Rp; the Omega Saga, your ship may be the first to encounter Omega and his crew on the... well, I can't give away the name just yet, but trust me when I say that this will be fun.

@ SongHeart: Ah, I see. I like how she looks. There was something on DA that had quiet an extensive selection of things you can use to create your own pony. Have to find it again.

Anyways, I have to place up specs for three more characters that I am controlling, then I'll place up the details of the Omega Saga.

I've got a few questions about how you want to run things, Xan.

The first is about timing of posts: if a ship isn't going to be taking any action at a point in time (I.E. it's in port, or in transit between two locations) but it will be involved in some thing later that day, and if it doesn't involve characters currently in the scene, could the players of that ship start doing something that takes place later in the day?

The case in point: the Kestrel isn't involved in the current battle, and I doubt any other ships will be involved in investigating the Everfree (for the moment at least), so should I be trying to get the investigation going now or .should I wait until the battle ends and there's some kind of time skip?

The second is about the investigation itself. I'm assuming you have some specific ideas about what's happening to the surface, and with that in mind I'm wondering: would you want to handle that and have the player(s) just manage character actions and reactions, would you want to just give us/me a set of rules and guidelines for that sort of thing and let us manage it, or something in between?

I think I understand what you're asking, and I'll answer the to the best of my ability; and this goes for everyone:

As for time and what everyone is doing in that specific moment, I want everyone to be in the same time line, so that means if a fight is going on in one part of the world, yet you and some others are not apart of it, try and stay in the same time line, don't have it were the fight is going on during the day, yet your characters are doing something that's going to take place an hour or so later at the same time.(Make sense?) If you're wanting to do a time skip, that's fine so long as everyone agrees to it and is ready to make the jump with you. (This once again goes to everyone)

As for the second question, keep in mind that a lot of the world has fallen apart and become fragile, but places like the Everfree forest and Canterlot are fair game for your ship to land near or at. Basically if it's listed on the front page under Earth Cities/Places, it's fair game, but if you want your character to discover a new place in the world, either PM me or post the idea up here so that I can take a look at it. I require both a name and a history of the place so that the rest of us know what to expect. (Once again, this goes to all of you that have joined the rp)

As you all may of noticed(or not), I have actually made a new location know as the EverLast Mountains. Check it out, it'll be an important place that starts the new Omega Saga.

@ Dashingblade: Accepted, my apologizes for not responding to this any sooner. If you've been keeping up, I've been slightly busy with work and school and have had little to no time to check anything, and the darn notifications doesn't notify me of anything. :/ Anyways, welcome, and please feel free to post whenever!

@ DerpRavener: That sounds awesome! Do, however, keep those guns up. As we steer away from the fight at hand and head into the first Saga of the Rp; the Omega Saga, your ship may be the first to encounter Omega and his crew on the... well, I can't give away the name just yet, but trust me when I say that this will be fun.

@ SongHeart: Ah, I see. I like how she looks. There was something on DA that had quiet an extensive selection of things you can use to create your own pony. Have to find it again.

Anyways, I have to place up specs for three more characters that I am controlling, then I'll place up the details of the Omega Saga.

Ok thanks! And it's ok!

Am I a bit late to join?

Name: Midnight Streak

Race: Pegasi

Position: Buccaneer on Angel Wings.

Physical: Slim but a good flier. Navy fur, with blue and silver mane

Other stuff: Cunning and smart, an excellent thief and liar. Not terrible in combat but is not likely to survive one on one with Sky Patrol unless she can escape.

Thanks!

As for the second question, keep in mind that a lot of the world has fallen apart and become fragile, but places like the Everfree forest and Canterlot are fair game for your ship to land near or at. Basically if it's listed on the front page under Earth Cities/Places, it's fair game, but if you want your character to discover a new place in the world, either PM me or post the idea up here so that I can take a look at it. I require both a name and a history of the place so that the rest of us know what to expect. (Once again, this goes to all of you that have joined the rp)

While this is good to know, I was more asking about what might be found there. The initial places the Kestrel will be visiting are currently already in the thread.

I don't know how much you have planned about what is happening on the surface, how it might be discovered or analyzed and what might be done about it. GIven how the entire purpose of the ship I'm currently playing is investigation of this sort of thing: from where I stand either you have something specific in mind, and I need to get some information about it so that I don't contradict it, or you don't have a specific plan and I should be coming up with something (as the one who's poking at the topic) and I would need to talk to you about that so that what I come up with doesn't contradict the setting as a whole.

It might be at or near the point where we should be taking it to PM, unless you want to have that discussion in the OOC thread.

Am I a bit late to join?

Name: Midnight Streak

Race: Pegasi

Position: Buccaneer on Angel Wings.

Physical: Slim but a good flier. Same colorings as my avatar: tan, with blue and gold mane

Other stuff: Cunning and smart, an excellent thief and liar. Not terrible in combat but is not likely to survive one on one with Sky Patrol unless she can escape.

Thanks!

It's never too late! And once again, sorry. Please, feel free to post as soon as you want to!

While this is good to know, I was more asking about what might be found there. The initial places the Kestrel will be visiting are currently already in the thread.

I don't know how much you have planned about what is happening on the surface, how it might be discovered or analyzed and what might be done about it. GIven how the entire purpose of the ship I'm currently playing is investigation of this sort of thing: from where I stand either you have something specific in mind, and I need to get some information about it so that I don't contradict it, or you don't have a specific plan and I should be coming up with something (as the one who's poking at the topic) and I would need to talk to you about that so that what I come up with doesn't contradict the setting as a whole.

It might be at or near the point where we should be taking it to PM, unless you want to have that discussion in the OOC thread.

I suppose I can pm you about my plans as soon as I can. Major events are going to be held in secret until it's set in motion, and really from there I still let everyone do their thing. I have a plan, but I'm bad at getting everyone to follow at times. I just let things happen as they do and hope for the best most of the time. But yeah, don't worry, I hardly think anypony here can screw up the plot; I'll still pm you though.

Still have to pm you DerpRavener for plans, but I have a question; would you mind if I made a medical stallion character for your ship?

I wouldn't mind.

The one thing to keep in mind, and this is only a minor detail in there for character/consistency reasons, is that anyone on the Kestrel at this time either is a gryphon, or has a history of working with them. Taalix wouldn't trust anyone else enough to hire them on.

Medical gryphon it is then.

Here's the stats for Aven:

Name: Aven

Race: Gryphon

Position: Medic

Appearance: Tan feathers with a white coat underneath, usually wears glasses even though his sight is 'fine'

Personality: Very dedicated to his work, does not like holding long conversations, can be very stern at times without being full on angry.

Talent: Has a deep understanding of the anatomy for any kind of creature, and thus can heal and hurt others very quickly and efficiently.

Other notes: Aven's family was not apart of Taalix and Aerus' clan, however, coming from a long line of gryphon's with the innate ability to use the medical knowledge to heal just about any wound. When word got around that Taalix became the captain of the Kestrel, Aven offered his services to him as a medical gryphon.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey, can I be a Marine on the Kestrel?

Name: Quick Draw

Race: Pegasus

Position: Marine

Appearance: Red coat with marks on his legs, golden hair with maroon streaks tail is the same, wings have gold coldered tips, wears blue taterd shirt, eyes are silver

Personality: Layed Back, Joking, Generaly Happy, Seriouse at times but gets a joke in, Up beat

Talent: Quick in combat, very good shot

Other Notes: Nick named 'Joker', mildly good at healing, comes up with crazy combat strategies, Thinks magic attacks are 'cheating' in combat, tinkers with unique weapons of his own creation

file://localhost/Users/brandonbordelon/Desktop/Screen%20Shot%202014-02-28%20at%204.46.12%20PM.png

Seems alright to me, though I am going to ask you to add one thing: the Kestrel's captain is a bit of a paranoid sort when it comes to hires, so I'm asking for one or two sentences explaining why Taalix trusts the character enough to hire them on. Simple options would be that the character has had a positive encounter with Taalix before, or the character has regular contact with the Steelclaw gryphon clan.

Also, we can't see that image (or at least I can't, and I suspect others can't either). It looks like it's from somewhere on your computer, you would probably want to upload it somewhere before you can post it here.

Yeah, either that or try using the more reply option when posting to get the entire set up when replying to then choose to add a file from your computer onto your post so that it shows up as a picture and not a link. Anyways, other than that, you're good to go if Ravener is okay with it. Post as soon as you want to.

Oh, and yeah, I forgot to make it clear on that new post of mine, but ForestSpark did wrap the key into the cloth when she bandaged up Star's wing. It was planned, but to be honest, I didn't tell songheart, so it was pure luck that it went that way as it did. Good job song!

OK DerpRavener, here's my reasons why you should trust me.

1. I can be a contribution to the team and honestly, I'm only on this ship for a good pay, nothing more.

2. I'm to lazy to start a riot or mutiny.

3. I want our ship to succede, mainly because if it goes down I'm on it.

I was kinda hoping you would address those between Quick Draw and Taalix, as it's as much a characterization issue as a me worried about keeping control of the ship. I'm trying to run him as a fairly intelligent captain, so if someone ends up on the crew who blatantly doesn't mesh well with the rest of them, his apparent leadership ability is undermined.

I can work with it though. I can just say that Taalix had worked with Quick Draw sometime prior to his becoming captain, and thus knew about both his ability and his lack of ambition, which he later found to be a worthwhile combination when he began gathering a crew. So I'll consider the character accepted.

I feel I should warn you though that the Kestrel is not actually a mercenary ship: the mindset employed is typically more about avoidance than fighting, and so the ship may not be consistently involved in combat.

Archived