Connected (Interest Check!)

Worlds. Realities. Dimensions.

Everything is connected, no matter how far space and time seperate them. The realm of the subconscious, of the mind, and of fantasy; the realm of dreams.

Why should everypony be separated, why can't all things be joined and exist together?

In this world, in our world, it can be so. All things and all beings from all realities can be together in a place where the laws of reality no longer apply. Anypony can be anything and do anything they want, and see how they would've looked if things played out a little differently, or if they can find themselves in the countless other alternate universes out there.

No rules, no laws, no limitations, and no danger.

Freedom

--------------------------

OOC time! Hello everypony. I've never hosted a thread before but I wanted to toss this idea out to the waters and see if it gets any bites!

As you may have gathered the general idea is that a new realm of dreams has somehow been created, and anypony who partakes in this thread would awaken there as a lucid dreamer.

The world, known only as Freedom, is a subconcious conduit between citizens of Equestria and possibly alternate realities of the same world. Multiple iterations.and alterations of existing characters could cross paths in this strange realm, and of course OC's are welcome as well!

This would start out as a sort of directionless idea but would eventually have an actually storyarch that I've still got in the works. (Any ideas and offered help would be appreciated!)

For now! An Ethereal world of dreams, a subconscious heaven and connecting nexus of minds and realities; anypony interested? :)

If you'd like you can suggest characters that you'd like to play as well, OC, canon, fanon or otherwise. This was just an outline idea to something that I hope could become much bigger in time. :)

Top shelf. I'll get back to you.

Edit: So this is functionally a Crisis on Infinite Earths thing, right? Any reality can happen because this takes place in between all of them. The crossover to end all crossovers. Because I think I have just the OC.

Essentially, yes, and a place where multiple realities can sorta mingle and meet. Again, it would start out as a sort of directionless idea, with a story coming in later. So, any help with ideas and such would be appreciated! But any interest is also welcome :)

Multiple realities meeting brings to mind a lot of things, actually. The perfect meta example would be something like... Who Framed Roger Rabbit. Something played straight asks for, as previously stated, DC's Crisis arcs or Vertigo's Sandman. Naturally, the TARDIS comes to mind as well because Bronies and Whovians go together like peanut butter and marshmallow fluff. If we're going the Earth Prime route with the show's Equestria playing the part, a dreamscape? Something like the collective consciousnesses of every sleeping pony making an infinite number of new worlds every night. Or the dreamscape was always there, with sleeping ponies visiting every night? Magic the Gathering has Planeswalking, which is essentially hopping between worlds with untamed ether in between it all. I dunno. I'm all hopped up on slurpee and rambling.

Well the basic idea was similar to your suggestion of a dreamscape; a realm made up of infinite worlds created by slumbering ponies. I do like the idea of the dreamscape in question having always been present, but, the connection between the differing worlds hasn't. Now countless denizens of this realm are only now becoming aware of the existance of the seperate world that exists between dreams, and are even able to cross over into others as lucid dreamers, as mentioned above. This could serve to make other "versions" of certain characters.aware of each other as they congregate in the sort of Nexus that exists at the heart of the dreamscape.

Or at least that's as much of my own thoughts that I can competently put to words xD;;

I'm curious about the idea, however as written some parts of it seem vague. I'm not entirely sure what your intentions are for this and as such while I'm somewhat interested I'd rather wait to commit to it until I have a better sense of where it's going.

So this dreamscape, Freedom: does it have any defining features? Are there any (immediately apparent) structures or elements of it which would be seen by such an lucid dreamer? Do non-lucid dreamers end up there at all, and just prove ineffectual or can they not access it at all? How do creatures move between areas of it? Or is it just one large, interconnected area? Do dreams occur there, or is it just a large, empty area upon which awakened can force their influence? Does it have any natural denizens, or is it empty until lucid dreamers show up?

I suppose I should have given more time and thought to this before I had brought it up. I was a bit too excited about hosting my first thread that I didn't think too far ahead.

With that said, I'm more then happy to get things hashed out and answer as many questions as I can. Starting now:

There are three definite features that Freedom has ; first, the world itself seems to have no end, and is an ever spanning sky. A bright orb of light shines over this realm as clouds circle about it, yet no matter how far one travels the clouds, nor the "Sun" get any closer. Everything is seemingly suspended in air, all dream worlds are like islands hanging in the air. The "islands"

are the current dream a dreamer is having and is unique to that one individual.

The second feature are its connecting "walkways" that intersect dreamworlds to one another. These are great stretches of pure white stone that can wind about each other and shift position as other dreams are created. When a walkway, known in this world simply as Bridges, shifts its position to accommodate for new ones to be created there is no force of movement felt to those walking along it; if someone is walking along the Bridge as it changes, they simply would see things change perspective. If one were to fall from a Bridge they are harmlessly lifted back up to the point that they fell, unless of course they have the ability to fly, in which case they would be allowed to fly from the bridge.

The third most defining feature are the Nexi (I think that's the plural term for Nexus?) Where the bridges connect. Nexi are enormous floating cities that are as pure white and shining as the bridges leading to them. Nexi are unique in that they connect the dreams of all citizens of a world, but for each world there is one Nexus. For instance; Canon Equestria would have a Nexus that connects the dreams of all those able to dream in that world alone, while an Alternate Equestria would have a Nexus unique to it and its Citizens as well. Though, while each Nexus is unique to its host world, it is possible for inhabitants to cross between Nexi and visit those who are lucid in their respective dreamscape Nexus. (More info on Lucid and Non-Lucid dreamers in the edit!)

The Nexi house both the dreamers that find their way to it, and the natural citizens of Freedom, the Chime. The Chime are infintely unique creatures that take the form of, the most prevelant kind of dreamer from the Nexus's host world. For a canon pony Equestria they'd take the form of a normal pony of any of the three base races. If its an anthro Equestria then they'd take that shape.

The Chime seem very much alike their respective world's dreamers, except for one key feature; their eyes are always pure, glowing white no matter what form they take. Chimes themselves have no actual form unique to them, save for the above mentioned eyes.

Edit: Continuing:

When someone awakens in their dream world as a lucid dreamer, they are of course able to tell they are asleep and are currently in a dream. However, as the "connection" between dreams is something new they would also notice another sensation that draws them to the edge of their Island. Normally (at least most of the time), a dream world of a non-lucid dreamer (to the Chime, they are also known as "the Blissful") would just seemingly continue on without ending, but to the lucid (Or "the Aware" as they are called) there is a clear 'end' to their island. A wall of light would cut off part of their imagined world, and upon stepping through it the realm of Freedom would be seen to them, and the Bridges that connect to the Nexus would be visible.

However, there are rare occasions where "The Blissful" have passed through their Island's wall and journeyed across Freedom in a strange state of Dream-Walking; these rare types of Blissful are known as "Wanderers". While they do break past their dream world, they still see Freedom and the Nexus they travel to as one would see a dream that they are not aware they are having. They still act as if they are non-lucid and see the realm around them accordingly; believing it to just be their world's 'reality', and any attempts to convince them otherwise by the Aware are fruitless. Wanderers simply do what they are named for; wander.

Now, its been mentioned that Nexus cross-travel is possible for the Aware, so is the same possible for crossing between dreams? The answer is yes, it is. Though this is often unwise since it can be hard to tell whose dream (Island) is whose when so many exist upon windng pathways. It can be very easy to wander into the completely wrong dream, though thankfully it is just as easy to find one's way out as well. However, there is an easier way to find the dream an Aware could be looking for, and that is by asking the Chime. The Chime are extremely familiar with the population of their Nexus's host world, some even take on the form of certain citizens. Ask a Chime where a specific pony's dream is located and they will guide you to the correct Bridge to it, should you wish to visit that dream.

And that's about all I can think of for now, I need some sleep. If anything else comes to me I'll post the info when I wake up! Thanks for the questions; helped me to actually think of the world I'm trying to create. :)

No problem, that was in fact part of my goal.

I'm still kinda on the fence about joining in.

If the focus is on crossovers with alternate versions of the same universe, it could be interesting but without knowing precisely what those alternate universes would be it comes across as a bit limiting. I don't have a strong sense of what alternate timelines/universes I'd want to explore, or what sort of characters would be good there.

On the other hand, one of the first things I thought of with the dreamscape would be sort of a ponified Psychonauts. If that were the direction you were to take I would be all over it.

Hmm, while it wouldnt be Psychonauts necessarily it could certainly be something similar; as in everypony within Freedom gains abilities they wouldnt have in real life. The aspect of delving into the dreams of another could very much simulate the mind exploration aspect of that game as well.

While I'm still working out an absolute conflict there are a number of ideas. First, perhaps Freedom and a realm similar to the comic's Nightmare Dreamscape exist alongside each other, however in this nightmare realm there are no lucid dreamers to be connected to, since any dreamer there that becomes lucid simply becomes aware they are in a nightmare and thus end it. Somehow whatever entity resides in this nightmare world finds a way to spread to Freedom and attempts to connect with the lucid there.

Perhaps in that sense, the Nightmare Entity could be a sentient being, one that feels loneliness from having no Aware to connect, and so would attempt to 'take' lucid dreamers from Freedom into its realm. (That also strikes me as similar to 02 or "Zero Two" from Kirby and te Crystal Shards)

Or to go more with the Psyconauts connection, perhaps some nefarious individual attempts to take control of Freedom and all the dreamers within it? The dream delving could then serve as a way to release captive dreamers from this person's hold and track down their location.

I'm only throwing out a few ideas, but I'm honestly just gauging reaction and trying to gather input as well. Either of those scenarios sound good to anyone?

Edit: essentially it seems like the idea of a crossover to end all crossovers wouldnt really work out in the long run, at least not without a central conflict, villain, etc. I'm still working on the specifics but for now we could keep it simple and have the dreamers of this rp be of the same world. Perhaps Cross-Nexus travel could be brought in later, but for now we'll say the idea is centralized more on the conflict within the dreamscape rather then a mashup of different character iterations.

I'll edit the original post with the actual thread ideas being thought up here in a little while!

OKay, update time. Sorry for the rapid posts but here's the situation!

I'm working on the overall idea right now but I need to get some rest; I'll have the revised idea posted a little while after waking up and gauge reactions and such in a different thread rather then edit this one. Thanks for the help to DerpRavener and Krackle, and to SilverSwirl and any others that were thinking of joining be sure to check out the new thread when it goes up. Bare with me on this one folks, this is literally my first time hosting an rp!

I'll have things put up later today. Have a good one!

Archived