Cultural Exchange (ATTN: Gerrard All Others PM for Invite)

Lux

Asteria listened to the griffoness as she said a few pieces of trivia that were known to her. She nodded in agreement with the hybrid, finding nothing particularly incorrect. "Those are all correct statements. I venture into the Everfree forest when I wish to escape from prying eyes. I can not claim to have visited the castle that is hidden in the forest. I have yet to gain a significant reason to explore that castle. It would be an interesting trip. I don't see why anyone would let fear of the unknown paralyze them. I would suggest exploring the forest and calmly reacting to all threats accordingly," she mused aloud in an even more deadpan voice than her feathered counterpart. The odd unicorn seemed completely fearless, or unable to understand fear as she casually spoke about the infamous forest.

"If you are in the local area when I am assigned a delivery to Cloudsdale. It would be more efficient for me to contact the task to a trustworthy flier. Can I trust you to complete any tasks offered? If you are unfamiliar with our criminal system, it seems you have a high likelihood of being trustworthy," she remarked calmly while analyzing the trustworthiness of her new friend. It wasn't an indictment of the griffon, just her odd way of analyzing things.

The more that she spoke, the more Raven wondered if what she said was less of idle conversation and more of a test from the odd unicorn. It was a little unsettling trying to figure out what Asteria expected her to say, like the griffoness was required to play a game that she wasn't even told the rules for! Even more strange was the fact that this unicorn had a personality that was even odder than hers! Raven knew that her ways of speaking and thinking were different especially seeing the typically happy and outgoing ponies around her, but this unicorn was more serious sounding and more fearless than anypony or griffon else that she knew!

"I'm surprised that you haven't investigated the castle. After all there must be many secrets within. But perhaps there would be legal issues venturing into a place that I'd imagine though a ruin would still be property to the Princesses here. And yes I must agree that the fear I get about this Everfree Forest is over done, becomming like a bedtime story of monsters for foals and chicks alike."

In in an interesting twist, Raven found that not knowing something actually benefited her. Such was the case of not knowing about the criminal system. It made sense that only a criminal or one in criminal law would understand such things. Still Raven knew about the laws of Equestria, especially after making it her new home.

"Well, I can attest that I am trustworthy and would be able to assist you in any tasks in Cloudsdale. Of course my opinion on the matter is just that. What matters is whether you trust that I am trustworthy and that I can get the tasks done."

Asteria listened on as her feathered counterpart mused aloud about the infamous castle in the Everfree Forest. She had been near the castle, but never ventured into it. The unicorn paused as she tried to rationalize why she avoided the castle. After gathering her thoughts, she gave Raven her attention again as she prepared to speak.

"Property laws usually state that abandoned property is free reign for squatters. Although I believe there is a possibility that the area or the holders of the property may have exceptions made to the law. But more than anything, I have merely avoided the areas out of respect for the princesses and their sordid history," she explained in a very descriptive manner. For once, she actually decided to give all of her thoughts on something, either out of respect or simply because she wasn't sure herself.

She nodded as her guest mentioned she was a trustworthy individual. Asteria had no reason to find fault in anything Raven had said but that wouldn't stop her from testing the hybrid later. "In the near future I can arrange a delivery for you to work with. If it goes well, I can arrange more consistent work for you," the mare coldly remarked as she looked over the bed her guest was seated on.

"Any other pressing matters? You are free to stay or leave if are done with our business here," she added politely in her slightly off putting voice.

Raven nodded listening as to why Asteria avoided the castle. It made sense that the castle belonged to the Princesses, but what intrigued her was the "sordid history" that the unicorn mentioned. She heard something from her father about how there were two Princesses but one turned bad and was banished but recently returned and was good. It sounded really strange and something she needed to learn more of in time.

"In the near future I can arrange a delivery for you to work with. If it goes well, I can arrange more consistent work for you."

"That will be fine. I thank you for the consideration. I look forward to helping you make a delivery."

The last thing the mare said was a little off putting. Was she trying to dismiss her from her house? The mare clearly used to things like casual talk or maybe even friends, everything being cold and without emotions. Kind of like Raven, but at least the griffon could judge emotions.

"Well, I would like to get to know you more, that is if you are interested and you have no other commitments for today."

With the choice in the unicorn's hooves, Raven waited to see the results, making the difference between just a business partner or a friend.

Asteria maintained her seemingly disinterested gaze on the griffoness. She didn't need to "I maintain the option that you are free to stay or leave. Since you have chose to stay, I am obligated as your host to entertain you," she commented politely as she shifted her own position.

"What do you want to learn about me? I am open for the rest of the evening. Feel free to ask me anything except the private details of my clients. Beyond that, I am completely open," she politely remarked to her in her usual dreary monotone voice. She was completely awake and aware even as the night dragged on, the black mare clearly more nocturnal than her lighter colored counterparts.

Although she didn't convey it much on her face, the griffon was surprised by the way this pony acted. Raven held her emotions close to her but Asteria appeared to want nothing of relationships with others except for and business deals. Even the black griffon's presence was left ambivalent as if that it was a chore for her now that Raven elected to stay. Still Raven gained a job but wanted to gain more about ponies around her and so far she learned little.

"Well besides your business, what else do you enjoy either by yourself or with friends?"

• 4 weeks later...

Asteria wasn't the type to freely give away her personal interests, but it would be rude to outright deny the request of her guest. "I spend the majority of my free time learning about other cultures and reading history about current and prior civilizations. There is much to learn about the past and many lessons that can be put into use. If you are asking about recreation though, I generally limit it to the requests of my clients," Asteria explained in her usual business like manner, even it was supposed to be fun. Her wording was strange though, the odd mare not seeming very familiar with the word fun.

While Asteria was probably knowledgeable about many things, she probably was a poor individual to talk to about normal stuff. The odd unicorn was probably the exception to the rule with ponies, the serious mare betraying the playful and carefree nature of her species. "Perhaps other individuals would be able to give you more appropriate information. I would probably only be able to tell you things you would find in a book as it is," she explained calmly to her guest, the black mare lowering her head down to look across to her guest.

Raven realized that this was going to be harder than it thought, perhaps too hard. It wasn't that the unicorn was mean but it was as if that she had no interest in anything other than her job. This was especially true for friendships as they were by the mare's own admission were kept to clients and nothing more. There was an invisible yet still apparent wall between them and Raven wondered if there was a way to overcome it.

"I suppose that I could read things as this is how I got much of my information for what would be this move to Cloudsdale. But what I've found best was information told by those I know like my friends and family. So for starters, since you have been to the griffon lands, what do you think of griffons like myself?"

She could only hope this was a successful attempt to resurrect the conversation that appeared perpetually cold.

Archived