What is the weird memetic thing of "ball pits" about?

DanielEricIverson

I've been seeing it a lot this past week, but I also see "ball pit" being used as a joke a lot this past week. Rainbow Dash in a ball pit is the current banner on Equestria Daily.

EDIT: a few minutes later. I found out it was about DashCon (seems like no relation to Rainbow Dash), a convention for fans of Tumblr. it took place in July earlier this month. like, on the 11th, in Schaumburg, Illinois. 5,000 people were expected to attend only like 500 to 1500 showed up. There was a ball pit there.

Dash con was basically a huge scam. It was suppose to be a tumblr convention/met up but the organizer said he needed to raise $17,000 or everyone would get kicked out. The creator set up a kick start and it was funded within the hour. However, when it came time for the event the hotel said that there was no money given to them and that it wasn't even needed. Basically, everyone realized that they had gotten scammed. The joke with the ball pit was that everyone who had contributed was given an extra hour in the ball pit despite the con losing $17,000.

• 4 weeks later...

Dash con was basically a huge scam. It was suppose to be a tumblr convention/met up but the organizer said he needed to raise $17,000 or everyone would get kicked out. The creator set up a kick start and it was funded within the hour. However, when it came time for the event the hotel said that there was no money given to them and that it wasn't even needed. Basically, everyone realized that they had gotten scammed. The joke with the ball pit was that everyone who had contributed was given an extra hour in the ball pit despite the con losing $17,000.

That made for a wonderful stream when browsing tumblr that weekend. It's kind of sad that someone went out and got a bunch of extra stuff so they could enjoy themselves at the time.

Archived