Baltimare Bookies (Interest, Discussion and Sign Up)

Phoolery

So, as a newer face around here, and a reader of many different types of threads, there's a theme of RP that I'm an old hat in, and very familiar with. However, it's not really something that I'm seen around here. That would be "Mafia" style RP. I know that some people might immediately jump to the darker side of the mindset of this type of RP. However, I RP'ed for years on the Lackadaisy forums, and mature themes were kept at a PG-13 level at it's worst. Since this forum takes a G rated stance, it's not hard to dial back on such RP themes at all. Mafia or organized crime RP is still very possible while in keeping with a G rating.

Organized crime in Equestria has always been an interesting idea to me. Especially in fan fiction or even in the realms of RP. The challenge to it though, is to keep it in spirit, and not just delve into the realms of "The Godfather," and "Pulp Fiction." After researching the Hitchhiker's Guide to Equestria, Baltimare seems the obvious choice of city where organized crime could exist. With it's bustling port, and Atlantic City style "Boardtrot," it strikes me that some less than honest Ponies could hide smuggling and gambling operations behind the tourist trap guise of the city.

So what is Baltimare Bookies? It will be an RP that focuses on the less-than-legal side to Baltimare, and will cover several aspects of an underworld that could exist in Equestria. I want to set up 2 crime families in the city. 1 operated by other players, and one that acts in more of an NPC nature under my own control. I'll act as the lead story teller, and help keep the plot of the RP on track. In addition to the 2 families, there will be other roles open to those who don't want their Ponies to be gangsters. This will be covered later in the topic. I'll also be controlling Baltimare's City Watch, and Royal Guard. They'll be used only if your character's actions are too overt, and would attract the law.

The Ground Rules:

1. Romance is to be kept at a "G" level. Smuggling and gambling are the only illegal activities being held in Baltimare. That's not changing. I don't think I need to spell out what I am getting at here.
  2. Violence is to be kept to a minimum. If it is used, it is to be quick, clean, and concise. Keep descriptions of such violence to a PG level. Murder is a "last resort" and should not be taken lightly. A public murder (IE: A drive by) would be seen as an affront, and would immediately result in your character's arrest, trial, conviction, and imprisonment for life. If you are not smart about your actions, then the Crown's authority will come down on your head like a tonne of bricks.
  3. Wealth and power is not your right to god mod, power play, or meta game. If you want to know something, pay the right people. Don't just assume you know something, or can do something just because your character is the richest and most powerful gangster in town.
  4. No guns. No bombs. Non-negotiable. Use your imaginations.
  5. All other standing forum rules related to RP are still in effect.

So with all of this in mind, one might assume then that any sort of Mafia or organized crime themed RP would be impossible at this point. Well, that's only if you limit your mind. If you give me a chance, I assure you we can create a crime-epic in the world of Equestria that will be a good time!

The Crimes in Question

So you're probably wondering what could possibly be going on in Baltimare that could be seen as so illegal? Well, the Gangs in Baltimare deal in two things. Gambling, and Smuggling.

Smuggling: What's the contraband? Three items in question:

• Dark Brown Sugar; which is unrefined Brown Sugar from Unyasi. It's 10 times as potent as regular sugar.
  • Gems; this is the export. What is usually used in exchange for Dark Brown Sugar shipments.
  • Magical artifacts that pre-date Luna's banishment.

Gambling: This is where there are multiple avenues to make some Bits in Baltimare.

• Street Flight Racing ~ This is the dangerous and exciting sport of Pegasi flying just feet above the ground through the streets of Baltimare. It's quite illegal to be flying at high speeds through the streets at Cart Wheel height. Usually done at night when the streets are empty. This is a younger Mare's game however. It's not quite the money maker compared to other betting activities in town, and is a relatively new avenue.
  • 3 Card Stallion ~ The most popular Poker variant to Southern Equestria. However, Ponies play for keeps in Baltimare, and it's best to bring a lot of bits to the table. Most games are held in the back rooms of Penny Arcades. Some of the high roller events though are held at the "Sea Saddle Hotel," Baltimare's biggest and fanciest hotel on the Boardtrot.
  • Pony Races ~ The only legal form of betting you'll find in town. Earth Pony races are a tradition in Baltimare, and taking bets is fully legal. Bookies for the races are licensed by the city, but their coffers go into the pockets of the City's underworld elite. While the Racer's live like super stars in Baltimare, they win and lose by the choices of a select few Ponies behind closed doors. Most races are fixed, and it pays to know who's playing what angle during what race.
  • Liar's Dice ~ Played between 4 players, all with 6 dice and a Cider Mug. A game that is played at the docks mostly, but much like Poker, has it's high roller games. Dice Games currently lie outside regulation by the gangs, but things can change.

The Story

Baltimare's underworld is run by the Trotson family. Headed up by the brothers Knicker and Knacker Trotson. They've have a strangle hold on the Boardtrot for ages, but all that is about to change. With the emergence of the Liar's Dice circuit, and the Street Flight Races, two very new avenues have opened up. A group calling themselves the "Broke Spokes" has started taking control of these avenues. Where the Trotsons are an old unicorn clan with history in the city, the Spokes are a rag tag bunch. No clear boss, or clear goal. Mostly small time racers and gamblers looking to keep the Trotsons out of their business. Word is though, some members of the Spokes have bigger ambitions.

Where to Go From Here

Well, all that is needed now is interested parties. Like I stated, I'll control the old gang that's been in control of the town for some time, and the authorities. My goal isn't to "win." It's mainly to direct the story. The other gang (or gangs, I'm not against multiple player run gangs), will have the job of trying to take over Baltimare from the established order. Keeping in mind the set rules, it should be a challenge. It behooves you to play smart criminals. The gang(s), will start with a small operation on the docks, a tally of money that will be kept here in the OOC topic. If you go broke, you might have to start dealing with the forces you're up against. Feel free to lie, cheat, and double cross your way to the top.

This role play will always be considered "Open." However you have to make up a character sheet here in the topic, and get it approved though me. If all's well, you can post it in the Free For All Character Sheet section with the tag [bB] in the title.

Currently, there will just be the one "Player Gang." "The Broke Spokes." As of this moment, they have no leadership, and are more a gang run by committee than by one boss. They start off in control of the eastern Ports, with the Liars Dice ring and the Street Flight races under their hooves.

The Broke Spokes have no unifying breed or species in control. This is a stark contrast to the controlling party of Baltimare. The Trotsons. The Trotsons are all unicorns, and those in control are all blood related to the family line. They're very old hat and set in their ways. The Broke Spokes are the first gang to pop up in 200 years.

If players come up with their own gang or crew, I will list them here. Approach them about joining. The Broke Spokes will always be open to anyone. The Trotson clan is off limits, and is an NPC group.

Players may have one major character, and as many minor characters as they like.

The Following Races Are Not Allowed for Major Characters: Changelings, Dragons, Diamond Dogs, Alicorns

Minor Characters may not be: Dragons, or Alicorns

[bB] Character Sheet - Major

Name:

Alias:

Estimated Age:

Species:

Alliance: (Enter Gang Name Here, if any. If you're not involved then put N/A)

Criminal Record: (Leave blank if they've never been arrested)

Physical Description:

History:

About Minor Characters: Minor characters are your own support personnel, to your major characters. They are under your control, but they should specialize in a specific task. Such as "Race Horse," or "Hit Mare." They can be gamblers, henchmen, or just family to your major character. As such, they are vulnerable. Should you anger the wrong people, they can be targeted, and unfortunately they will not have as much plot armor as your major character. As the lead story teller, I hold the right to kill off any minor character within reason. If you use them smart, and protect them well, they will last. If you're head strong, or foolish, then the underworld will use these characters to get to yours. In a way they are throw-a-way characters. It's best not to get attached to them. Post minor characters with your Major character.

[bB] Character Sheet - Minor

Name:

Alias:

Estimated Age:

Species:

Relationship to Major Character:

Alliance: Enter Gang Name Here

Criminal Record: (Leave blank if they've never been arrested)

Physical Description:

Archived