[Fillydelphia] A descent into Madness (closed. Pm for info)

BeGoneThots

Psmith nodded sagely.  "Indeed, comrade Stormstride; after so much time on duty, and it followed by going above and beyond in supernatural good deeds, one can hardly maintain that you have not earned time enough to unwind, and luxury enough to relax.  Those of us born into luxury must earn it retroactively, but alas, the debits always seem to accumulate faster than the credits-"

"Room Service!"

"Speaking of which..."  The unicorn hardly missed a beat, even with the sudden appearance and uncovering of dishes, serving his plate and continuing on talking.  "Such was the meaning of the old phrase Noblesse oblige.  The Equestrian State, or to speak somewhat more accurately and personally, the Princesses, always had a bank of favors with the nobility that it could cash in, as it were, without us having any honorable way of refusing.  Many traditions of service started among old families, I would posit, arose out of a fear of what one would be asked to do if found idle.  This, however, is in error.  One is guaranteed a far more interesting life if one has a place open in one's schedule in adventure."

Only taking brief and small bites between sentences, he hadn't finished his plate before Storm left to shower.  Having no one to talk at, Psmith fell silent as he finished the now-cold food rather hastily.  From through the door, he could hear that his companion was under no such compunction to refrain from talking, though what she said he could hardly guess.  He wondered, briefly, what else could be going on in her head.  These past few days had been a revelation to everypony, herself included.  *A change in identity brings a change in perspective, which if used to create a binocular view of the world, may result in wisdom.  I wonder if my Boss will even undergo a similar experience...*  He smiled to himself at the thought, but put it out of his head as rather unlikely.

A thump startled him from his reverie, drawing the unicorn's eye to Stormstride's fallen saddle bag.  Tut-tutting, he walked over to clean up the mess, taking care to examine each item carefully before replacing it.  It wouldn't do to be careless about putting them away, after all...

He started with the makeup kit, with a low running commentary under his breath, "The essentials.  Perhaps I should recommend a few lines I know his Majesty approves of?  Well, perhaps not.  Money is certainly an object of consideration... Hm?  Ah, a family  scrapbook... ah, I fear curated only by one.  The house is divided, and fallen upon hard times... hm, I wonder what your brother musician is up to now?  From the article, it looks as if he fell among a good crowd of comrades... Well, we shall take care to keep our eyes peeled for your face, and ears pinned for your notes... hm?"

As he was about to put the book away, he noticed the bangles at the bottom of the bag.  Curious, he pulled them out.  "One worn, the other hardly... I would wager that you wore the scratched and burned one, comrade.  And the other... ah, yes."  Understanding, he replaced them.  While the former guard had been divorced years ago, Psmith knew from what Blueblood had told him that Stormstride had still considered himself married... "But now... now you are not wearing it, comrade."

The unicorn shrugged, closing the bag and returning to his seat.  No point in speculating upon the meaning; if Stormstride wished, she would open up in time.  And if not... some matters were a little too delicate to pry into.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After a bit Storm emerged. She looked more refreshed. Her mane still damp but returning to it's natural curl. As she sighed softly, she moved to her bag. taking out the make up kit she paused to look at something before moving to the mirror. Applying a little make up, she looked at herself a moment. She had more skill at this than just a beginner should have. After a bit, she put the make up away and put her bags on. Then she moved to levitate the urn. "You want to shower first?" She asked politely.

As she waited for his answer she set the urn her bag, then levitated her cloak over. Putting it on was a simple matter. Once she had it on, she sat to wait. It was only a few slight changes, but her appearance was much more feminine than before. The soft hue of make up changed much of the stiffness that had been her face. And the warm shower seemed to have loosened her muscles enough to move more fluidly. She even had had a sway in her step. As she smiled to Psmith, there was a light blush on her cheeks from the make up. She seemed more relaxed now. More in her element. 

The urn sat silent. As if the spirit inside were calm. But it was still plain that there was a bit of apprehension in the air. If all their efforts came fruitless at dawn, then they would be out of leads to follow. While Stormstride felt as if there was still something left they could fall back on, she did not know what. 

Psmith greeted Storm's return with an incisive look, followed by an approving nod.  After makeup, she seemed ready for her "After" picture.  One last loose end to clean up, and she would be ready to face the world as a new mare.  It was an exciting prospect, and thus the unicorn was impatient of delay.

"Words of the lovers of wisdom: absolution before ablution!  Priorities must be kept straight; for one rests better with dirty skin than a troubled mind.  And as comrade Shipwright here has no skin, but only a mind full of troubles, it is intolerable to add half an hour to his centuries of waiting.  Forward, comrade Stormstride, forward!"  And with a hoof-jab at the sky, he set off, throwing the door wide open and marching through the halls out into the street.

Shaking her head, she smiled and followed. Once they were out at the street she spoke. "You know I can just transport us there magically. Once I have visited a place, as long as I am within an hours walk of it, i can magically get us there." She held out a hoof. "Besides, I have a feeling that our friend will likely want to be there sooner than our hooves can get us there."

She barely waited for him to voice his opinion before taking his leg in hers. The flash was accompanied by a low rumble of thunder. Which caused a bit of confusion for the few ponies still enjoying the evening air of the seaside. The blurry spots would clear after a moment. And as they did, Stormstride allowed the urn to leave her saddlebag. As it did, the ghost made itself known. Much to the surprise of the mare, the beach goers were not so frightened as curious. "Another ghost?" One voiced aloud. Stormstride was entrigued but this was for another time. "He lost someone on the Wave Breaker. And I want to help him receive peace. The crowd seemed fairly agreeable and left them to their work. "This is unusual. Most times ghosts are met with terror or suspicion. I think your hunch on the Captain may be right Psmith. There are other ghosts here... maybe not from the Wave Breaker. But this place... its too common a thing to not surprise anypony."

As Stormy walked toward the marker for the wreckage, Shipwright spoke, "So many ponies here...." Storm looked around. There were very few ponies here. Unless....."DO you see her?" "No. I cant see her. But I see others I knew back home. And... I see the life boats drifting around... so many crying...." "Alright.. lets just keep looking ok? I promised you I would help you find her. And that promise will be kept. Even after my own death if need be..." 

Looking to Psmith she whispered, "You read the report more than me. Did it list where most of the passengers were when the wreck happened?"

In point of fact, Psmith did not know that Stormstride knew how to teleport.  Only a minority of unicorns were able to do so; and while Storm undoubtedly had the magical power requisite, he wouldn't have thought it within her skillset.  Barely had he digested this information when he suddenly found himself taken to the beach in a flash of light.  "Excessive haste is unseemly, comrade, though we plead extenuating circumstances."  The young stallion remonstrated, dusting some scattered sand off of his clothes.

Few ponies were on the beach at night; for although the seaside was romantic by moonlight, the scene was made significantly less cozy by a chill in the air.  It was a place that felt more fit for hauntings than lover's meetings, though if all went well, they'd have both tonight!  In any case, what ponies had come here were evidently in the market for ghosts.  From the looks of them, they'd been taking one of those tours set up by the Fillydelphia's tourism board to show all the supposed sites of ghosts in the area.  Well, never let it be said that the city didn't give them their money's worth...

With Shipwright out and about, Psmith was standing aside, watching him.  "Fascinating; there are ghosts which the living can see, and those whom we cannon.  What strange metaphysical divide afflicts them, comrades?  What tragedies are left untold, and, alas, un resolved by a simple loss of sight?"  He mused aloud, eyes wandering the landscape and horizon.  "They were either in the hold, or on deck, depending upon what would relieve most their sea-sickness.  The waters were choppy in the storm... though I believe the passengers were evenly divided between the two.  Tell me, comrade Shipwright, of which camp was your love a likely member?"

"IN a storm at sea? She would have been on deck, if not in the crows nest trying to help. Likely though... the winds were too powerful for the pegasi ponies to help... meaning that they couldn't have flown. But I know my beloved. She was a proper mare of good stock. She would have been trying to help in some way. At least until the ship broke and she was thrown into the water."

Stormstride was listening, but also scanning the waters. She had seen several things that were out of place. The marker of where the ship hit the rocks was in the right area. So the ship wouldnt bee too far back out to sea. Ghosts were attached to objects. Shipwright to his last remains. And if Merryweather's body was recovered and laid to rest.... "Psmith! Get some rope....." The mare said, more like a drill sergeant than a lady like mare. She moved toward the water. "Each of these ponies is bound to an object. Shipwright, what sort of things would she wear? was there a necklace or such that she found valuable and sentimental?" "Um... not that I... wait... yes... there was a necklace. I gave it too her. Carved it from the peg of my rudder shaft." Stormstride nodded. Cured wood would be near impossible for most organisms to break down. meaning it was likely still at the bottom. grabbing her notes she began to read over them. Where each pony was found. Mare, pegasus, blue coat, silver mane, tattered dress...... found floating between the rocks to the left of the initial crash site. Meaning that she was attached to them. The currents would have pulled her away from the wreck after too long. 

Taking a moment she slid off her saddle bags and then her cloak. Her mane braided itself into a tight ponytail. as did her own tail. then both rolled into buns. After she was ready her horn began to glow as a ball of light formed at the end. "Shipwright.... Stay with me ok? Psmith will watch your remains and keep any guards distracted. You come with me and we go into the water. We will find her, I promise." The ghost nodded softly. So far these two had not led him astray. they had risked much to help him. And sacrificed their time and energy. Time they could have been doing things that made them happy. Energy they could have invested in their own activities. "Psmith!! That rope! Hurry!"

Magic, it was said, permeated the whole of Equestria.  This was one of the reasons that cutie marks and special talents ran the whole gamut of things and ideas, for a pony could influence and was influenced by many things in this world.  Whether or not a particular tone of voice would be recognized by the academics as a special sort of spell, it certainly worked its magic on Psmith!

Normally one given to languidity, both in pose and pace, Stormstride's orders pulled him up like taut marionette strings, and even got a salute out of him.  He did not merely trot, but outright galloped and ran for the rope.  Despite this haste, however, the retrieval was no rapid business.

*Heave...sigh, "One would not suspect upon *grunt* first glance that coils of hemp fiber bore within *huff* them the weight of iron chains..."  Dockside ropes, however, did.  Especially as they rarely ever completely dried out from the saltwater spray, dunking, and anchoring of ships.  "We are *heave* coming, comrade!  Bear with us for *grunt* just a moment..."  With a frank sigh of relief, he set the rope down by the former guard.  "You wish to secure a towline?"

"Tie it around something that wont move. give me the other end. Im going for a swim..." She began to tie it around herself. using magic to make it as secure as she could. Once she was sure she was tied in tight she spoke. "If im not up in two minutes pull me back in. That's my limit for holding my breathe. And I dont have any spells to let me have an air bubble down there. Actually did not figure I would need them. Well... thats to add to my list later then." She took a moment to get her breathing in rhythm. slow deep breaths, in and out completely. Making sure she had every ounce of breath controlled for the decent. THe water was not deep, but the currents would play a factor, and certainly make it hard to stay in a single spot. 

The mare waited for Psmith to find something to tie it off too. Before making her way into the water. A guard came toward her and she spoke. "Touch me and Im going to make your armor a lightning rod." He paused, "Errr.. ma'am... please be careful. alright? its dark down there. And your light ball may not be enough. Should I assist your friend with the rope?" "Yes. he knows what to do... and keep that urn over there safe...." Her tone had not changed, just the volume of it. 

As she slid under the water she gulped in a huge breath of air. Shipwright followed suit, though for him it was more a float down than a swim. As Storm swam down to the initial impact point, she began to move the ball of light around. Using it to illuminate the scene. She could see many small objects still littering the bottom. But nothing that looked like a necklace. Looking to Shipwright she watched him looking around as well. He moved slowly and with purpose. Storm was feeling her breath running out, and swam up. As she breached the surface she saw that she was further from shore than she had originally thought. "Hope that rope holds.... last thing I want is to drift off to sea and try to teleport back blindly."

Sympathizing with the guard's confusion, Psmith launched into an explanation as the two of them secured the tow line.  "I can assure you, comrade, that we intend no nefarious business.  We are merely putting to rest some lingering mysteries of an old shipwreck, for the peace of those who have departed.  This, naturally, involves taking a look at the remains."

"OK... but, why didn't you wait to get some actual dive equipment?"

That... was a very good question, one to which Psmith had no real answer.  Not that such things had ever stopped him.  "Would you have delayed against her insistence?"  The unicorn nodded his head over to the swimming Stormstride.

The guard pursed his lips.  "Nope.  Nothing good comes from defying an NCO.  She is a sergeant, right?"

"Military formalities are not my strong suit, but in this case I should say your instincts were sound.  Trust them, comrade!  They shall guide you right."  All in the meantime he'd been counting to 120 seconds in his head, ready to pull if the time limit was exceeded.  The first dive had not, but Psmith kept at the ready watch.

Storm swam back down. reaching closer to the rocks this time. She began to find other items. Brushes, suit cases, old horse shoes... with the clips still on them. They had been worn when the pony sank to the bottom. She wanted to pull everything up. but there was no time for that. These spirits had either passed on or never got trapped in the first place. Moving for the rocks she broke the surface early. Taking a moment to gather her breath and waving to shore. She made a few hoof motions signalling she was fine and going to dive again. 

As she drew to the rock, she made sure to find a hole in the current. this was a calmer place. Taking a full breath she dove. Making her light ball glow brighter. it could be seen from shore under the waves gently lapping at the rocks. She looked around. Salt water was not pleasant in the eyes, but she had done this before. As she searched the rocks, Shipwright joined her, and both began searching. What neither noticed was that on the surface, an apparition was forming. A pony in shape but not clear enough to see who. But it seemed to be wearing a dress.

Stormstride felt the light burn in her lungs. Time to surface. But as she turned a glint caught her eye.  she turned and saw it flash in the light of her glowing orb. A polished and coated piece of wood. As she went closer she failed to notice the rope rubbing a rock. As she reached out for it, a wave rocked the area. Larger than usual for this time of day. and the rope couldn't hold. It broke, suddenly going slack on shore. The moment eh guard felt slack he began hauling on the rope. Soon coming up with the snapped and frayed end. "Oh buck me...." he fairly well spat. The wave also knocked her into a rock, she was dazed now. and couldn't tell up from down. She started swimming down, hoping she was going up. But she soon couldn't hold her breath anymore. she gulped in a lung full of water. Struggling to get to air her light went out as she lost concentration. 

Several on shore noticed and began to yell. But no one was jumping in the water. It was uncertain what was happening. Especially with a new ghost appearing in the midst of all of it. Stormstride had lost strength and was sinking toward the bottom. She couldn't fight it anymore. As the darkness closed in, she suddenly felt something land on her hoof. Something small and firm. cupping it in her hooves she held on to it. 

On shore the guard had ditched his gear and spear. Diving into the waves he struggled to swim toward her. He was no trained swimmer. Just a normal guard. Soon enough another pony joined in. then another. Three ponies headed right for her. And the ghost above the waves dove down. The three lost sight of the glow and had to turn back. 

As they reached shore the guard was kicking sand and stone. Screaming for some pony to call for help. As other already had been. The water breached suddenly, as two glows carried the unconscious pony to the sand. Setting her down they backed up to allow the living to save their own. One was Shipwright. The other was still to blurry to make out. but it looked like a mare. The guard immediately began trying to force the water from Storm's lungs. breathing for her as he pushed on her underbelly. "Come on... Come on.... Wake up.... stupid mare.... wake your flank.... up..." Storm gasped. Coughing up water and rolling on her side. panting and coughing she held up a hoof. Dangling from her hoof by a weathered and tattered cord was a wooden heart. preserved from the sea by ship building tar and paint. after a moment she looked up at Shipwright. "F..found..it.." she choked out. Laying back on the sand she tried to catch her breath. "Bloody mare... that was foolish. I should arrest you... If it weren't for the fact I know who you are...Corporal." 

There were few situations in life that could get Wordsworth Psmith to shut up.  But looking out for a friend that was, literally, at the end of a rope, and then feeling that rope go suddenly slack... it took the words right out of his mouth.  For all his talk, he rarely said anything serious.  It wasn't that he was superficial, exactly, so much that he was never really comfortable speaking the deep truths of the soul.  It had only been with effort that he'd said any to Stormstride, and that was in a comfortable hotel room.  Now, on a cold night by the merciless sea...

He felt useless.  He'd come to a point where nothing he could do would be helpful in any way.  He could only watch, as the ghosts and the guard rescued Storm, before stumbling down to her side.  He could see, looking up, the ghostly figures of Shipwright and the mare... Merryweather?  Still finding no words, he could only salute them across the waves.

Storm slowly sat up. "Im alright..." her mane and tail drenched with water and sand, she decided it was better to stay seated. Taking her time to catch her breath, she smiled at Psmith. THen her eyes turned to her rescuers. The ghosts. It seemed that Shipwright could tell whom it was. As he came to the ghost, they seemed to have a conversation that was mostly one sided. 

Looked back at Psmith. "The urn please? I think they have been separated long enough..." She said in a soft tone. The guard sat beside her. As did the other two. "You are seriously wreckless Stormstride....You could have drown... or worse yet gotten another pony drown trying to save you. What would your commander say?" "I dont have a commander anymore. Or has the news not spread yet that I am on indefinite suspension, likely fired. no... you know what.... I quit." She smirked at the guard. "I got better things to do than stand around all day in plate armor that weighs more than a princess's ego and serves less purpose than a flashy tie. I've had enough of swallowing orders." She stood on shaky hooves slowly. "is that your official position....ma'am?" She paused a moment. All those taunts in training about her figure. All that... and suddenly she smiled. "Yes. Tell the commander of the warehouse district guard i officially resign and he can keep the letter of resignation. I wont be by to sign it. just ship it off to Canterlot for approval. I will likely hear about it when I get there."

Her eyes met Psmith's, but there was a gentle grace that replaced the old hardened look. "Tomorrow I think we can sleep in eh? we both seem to have had enough excitement for a while." She held up the small charm toward him. "Lets put them to rest....Its the least they deserve."

Once it became clear that the really serious business was over, and that everypony was going to be fine, Psmith finally began to unwind.  In a few second's time, the drain-pipe of his babbling became uncorked.  "We do not intend to deny the hastiness of our actions, officer.  But given that the resolution that we sought was delayed a full two centuries by the slow grinding of officialdom, I believe our impatience may be forgiven us."  Taking out his monocle, he inspected it for sand-scratches.  Finding none in the light of the moon, he screwed it into his eye, looking on the guard amusedly as he held his conversation with Stormstride.

"So, Comrade Stormstride, just how is the view from the point of no return?"  He remarked in a low and gentle tone as he fetched the urn.  "I imagine it is well lit by all your burning bridges."  Opening the lid, he let her drop the charm in by the old bones of Shipwright.  "Requisat in Pacem, comrades."

"the glow from a burning bridge is dim and weak compared to the glaring light a pony is headed toward." She smirked softly. Once she was standing on her hooves again, she watched the two specter embrace and slowly fade away. Taking the urn she smiled. Looking to the guard she spoke softly. "I trust you know where the office is that would have the forms to deposit the remains of two ponies long lost at sea?" He shook his head with a smile at her. "Aye. I know it. Corner of Trot and 5th Ave. Fourth floor. But the office won't open until about 7:00 AM tomorrow." She nodded and gently placed the lid back on the urn. "Then tomorrow it is. If you would be kind enough to collect a few witness statements to the events of tonight, I would like to have them added to the forms tomorrow." The guard nodded and began to put his armor back on. 

Stormstride then turned to Psmith. "Want to grab a piece of pie at a diner I know of before we go get some sleep?" her smile was, for once, charming and kind. The events of the night had played upon something in her spirit. Filled some need she had. She was smiling again. And not a smirk. An actual smile as she looked at him. The spark in her eye was back, as was the luster of her cutie mark.

A bright and shining light, eh?  Stormstride was approaching eloquence, and optimistic eloquence at that!  Psmith had heard of ponies that rediscovered their special talent later in life, but this was the first time that he had seen such a thing for himself.  It certainly had an uplifting effect on everypony around her, judging from the attitude of the witness testimonies.  Seeing a lovers' reunion might also have had something to do with it...

"A restoration of the tissues, comrade, does indeed seem to be in order.  Let us proceed to this late-night establishment, where we shall cap off a job well done with pie well-earned!"  The unicorn's tastes, while broad, were by preference ordinary, as he selected a slice of apple pie upon arrival.  Settling down in the booth, he yawned before taking his first bite.  The events of the day and evening were beginning to catch up to him; the walk here to the diner had been a blur.

"So, where do you feel this bright and shining light beckons you, Comrade Stormstride?"

She sat and nibbled at her lemon pie. hearing his question she thought for a moment. "Canterlot first. I have to sign that form. After that.... I need to make a home. Somewhere I know some pony. And away from a big city like this... something more... more... natural...." there was a glint in her eyes. "I wonder if Star Breezer has something she needs." Smiling she actually giggled and sighed. Sipping her coffee she pondered a bit. 

"I may take up a new hobby. I have always loved art. I used to sculpt a bit when I was much younger." She finished her pie and sat there sipping her coffee. "Its so strange. im.... free. I dont know how else to describe it. IM happy again. ANd..... Psmith... is that who I think it is?" She looked out the window. There was a gray pony with a wild mane pulling a cart along. And from the front window a Foal was poking out. Chatting happily to Stallion in front. WHile he didnt seem to respond often, he seemed happy. "PSmith.... tell me I am not imagining that." Her smile curled bigger and her eyes watered. She suddenly dashed out the door. Calling out as she went. The pony stopped and turned hesitantly. But the foal jumped off the cart and ran to the Mare. Both hugged and soon came to the stallion. The pony parcked his cart and unhitched. All three hugged, Stormy crying happily. After a moment they all came back in. "Psmith... Meet my daughter and my brother...Thunderbuck, and Caramelcream."  The stallion nodded and smiled soflty. Shy to a fault but polite. The filly however was very vibrant and jubilant. "Hi there!!! Are you a friend of my momma? She looks really pretty doesn't she?" How readily the mind of a youth her age could adapt to such changes in her world.

Duchess Star Breezer, eh?  Blueblood and Psmith were actually a step ahead of Stormstride on that front, being prior friends of the family.  "I believe that she does, in fact, have a spot available for you.  At any rate, the last time we were fortunate enough to be blessed with her company, she-"

Psmith found himself cut off by the arrival of a wagon train that caught his companion's attention.  Looking over it himself, he saw it packed with a troupe of... it looked like performers, living out of a merchant cart.  Gypsies, perhaps?  Not quite so gaudy, though.  These surface impressions were subservient, however, to the realization that Storm actually knew some of the ponies aboard.  Two were, in fact, family!  "How exciting!  This is truly a night of reunions, comrade!  Perhaps the stars are more full than usual of Luna's grace."  The unicorn proclaimed as he followed her out into the street.

He got a fuller look at the five ponies that had come in through the cart.  In addition to Caramel Cream and Thunderbuck, there was a Sky Blue pegasus peeking over the top of the cart, a tan-coated unicorn helping to pull it, and a brick colored earth pony bounding out of it.  "Zdradvyustye!"  This last mare called out, running over to Psmith, and shaking his hoof hard enough to rattle him like a maracas.  "Are very glad to be meeting you, zherebets.  But was under impression that Storm was father of Cream, nyet?"

The sudden burst of camaraderie had taken Psmith a bit to recover from, but he soon regained equilibrium, bowing to each pony in turn.  "Indeed, Comrade Cream, I am a friend.  There have been, I understand, a great many changes since you last met?"

((where you getting CLoud RUnner lol?))

Caramel smiled and came to Brick. "Father..yes. But for as long as I have known, she has been both mother and father for me. teaching me everything I know and can do." Stormstride wiped at her eyes. smearing her makeup thoroughly. Thunderbuck smiled softly. Hugging his newfound sibling softly. As they did he spoke. "Its been a long time... I wanted to meet you..." Storm nodded as she hugged him close. 

Caramel Cream noticed Tincho was staying behind his cart. Obviously hiding. Coming to him she spoke. "Mr. Tincho.. are you ok?" He stayed silent. his pale green eyes focused on Stormstride's face. After a moment he spoke. "Please... dont remember me..." Caramel began to piece it together. She had seen his natural forme a few times. But she couldn't tell one changeling from another like that. But there was fear there. "Is this about the time at the school?" He just nodded. "Momma wont hurt you. You didn't attack like the others. Momma saw you run away I bet. So she would like you." Tincho was not so sure. 

Thunderbuck led His sister to Sky. "Sky.. This is my older sister. We... well this is the first time I have actually met her face to face." Storm tried to make herself presentable, and by comparison she towered over buck. The muscles still there, but more refined, graceful. She held out a gentle hoof and spoke softly. "Thank you.. for taking my family into your home. Thunderbuck sent me a letter recently about your efforts to make it a good place for them. And....really if there is anything I can do for you, just ask."

(Heh, no idea :razz: )

Psmith raised an appreciative eyebrow at Caramel Cream; the young filly's diction was impressively developed, and he of all ponies could appreciate a precocious talker.  "A daughter to make a parent of any persuasion proud!  You carry the honor of your family without burden or blithe, comrade Cream.  We tip our hat to you, or would, rather, had we remembered to put it on before we left."

Brick, having seen Tincho retreat, stepped back a bit, as if to stand in his defense.  She eyed Stormstride a little more warily now; she remembered the stories Tincho had told him of a half-mad stallion flinging lightning about.  Still, she had to admit that Storm didn't look half-mad.  Or a stallion, for that matter.  "Is story behind this, da?  Would like to hear of it, tovaritch.

Sky, meanwhile, had come down to shake Stormstride's hoof.  "You're welcome, um, ma'am.  And, uh, if you could buy one of our records?  And tell your friends about our band.  I, ah, quit my day job recently to go on tour... every bit would help right now.  Not that we've been doing badly!"  He added hastily, before blushing.  "It's just... this is the first time I've really struck out like this, no turning back.  Can't help but be a little worried sometimes."

Stormy smiled at Sky. "Had I the bits I gladly would... But I'm out of a job for now too. I hope you enjoy your new job. It seems to have made my family happy." Her eyes drifted toward the cart. She saw them. She smiled softly. Until her gaze fell on Tincho. There she seemed confused. She could tell from the eyes this was a changeling. But....why was he cowering?

Tincho realized Storm saw him. "T..that's the pony... I can never forget those eyes..." Storm sat wondering what had scared the poor bloke out of his witts. "Is he...alright?" Storm asked Buck. Buck looked over and came to Tinco. Looking at Brick he whispered. "Storm is concerned. Is Mr. Tinco OK?"

Caramel was confused as well. She had never seen Tinco act so....scared. But this was her parent. She had never been scared of Storm. Why would any long be? After a moment she took Tincho's hoof. "Want me to hold your hoof?" That got him to look down. Do far they were right. Storm hadn't made a single aggressive move.

Sky tried to conceal his disappointment; hopefully Stormstride would at least spread the word.  Starting musicians needed all the publicity they could get.  His attention was soon arrested, however, by the little scene happening below in the wagon.

The lack of any aggression from the unicorn was enough to get Flying Brick to stand aside, but she also backed up to give Tincho her own support from the other side.  Between Caramel and Brick, he would probably feel confident enough to come forward.  "Can vouch for character, before anything else is said.  Has been as good to all of us as any of us."  She would not, however, give a full explanation.  That Tincho ought to do himself.

The gears in Storm's head rolled slowly. Only one reason a changeling would be that terrified of her. And the ones that had come inside the school hadn't made it back out.

This one was either a commander, which was unlikely. Or he was a coward and fled from battle. Which meant he had no intent to hurt them or anypony. She sat and smiled softly. "You can assure him... I don't mean him harm. He must have run away during that day. Which means he isn't my enemy."

Buck nodded as he held a hoof to Tincho. "Come. She's not going to hurt you." It took a bit more coaxing before Tincho came out of hiding. He was a regular ball of nerves. But Storm stayed quiet and calm. Smiling as she pushed her mane aside. "It's a pleasure to meet you sir."

Psmith had been hanging back, watching the interaction with interest and a soupcon of concern.  Upon seeing the potential conflict being easily resolved, however, he clapped his hooves.  "Excellent!  As the wise ponies say, all is well that ends well.  And I do believe that this is as happy an ending as we may obtain and deserve.  Here we are, together and sane; not to mention in close proximity to excellent pastries.  Do allow me, comrades all, to treat you to the delicacies which you shall find indoors as we celebrate our reunion!"

Flying Brick grinned, bounding off the wagon with alacrity.  "Are not whistling korobeinikizherebets!"  Which was the Stalliongrad mare's way of saying, "Right-o!"  Sky laughed a bit at that, settling down upon the pavement himself.  

"I think we can do that, yes.  It's been a long time since your family was all together Storm, hasn't it?"

(OOC: I think we're getting pretty near to a point of conclusion; I'll be off-line from Christmas to New Year's)

((OOC: we are at the end. Just one more thing left. you can sit back and enjoy this bit if you want))

The night was wonderful. It was over too soon as many of the others grew sleepy. As one by one they all retired, Stormstride was left awake with her thoughts. Psmith took the hotel room. Buck had remained with the troupe, as did CaramelCream. Storm sat in the cart beside them. She gently stroked Caramel's mane as she watched them slumber. Tomorrow was going to be a day. Having to head back to Canterlot. What was worse was that upon arrival she would likely be escorted right to the barracks to sign that form. But that was the breaks. She had made her bed. Now it was time to lay in it.

The train ride back to Canterlot was silent. She had left before the troupe had woken. As the train arrived she stood. disembarking she made for the barracks. Arriving she was met with a few jeers from the usual. Jokes about her figure in the background suited her just fine. As she opened the door to the commander's office, he looked up. A smirk on his face. "Knew you couldn't last..." "Just give me the form before I flood the barracks with snow..." He laughed. "You think your intimidation scares us? If you can't handle and easy post like Fillydalphia... I doubt you have the power to bare to carry that out." He set the form out. She signed it and turned on hoof. "By the way..." He said. "Your medal arrived with this form. Should I take it you don't want it?" "What for. The only reason you gave me that was to save face after you blundered the visit to the infirmary. Really now, screaming at a wounded solider that fought to protect not only her foal but every foal in the building, while you cowered under your desk." "SHUT UP!"

That had struck a nerve. She smiled over her shoulder at him. "Careful Commander.... Screaming at civilians is not becoming of a pony of your standing and position." "That's Commander Flashfire to you.... Stormstride..." He said under his breath. As she left, a few were watching her. This was nothing like the Stormstride they knew. No where near so easily provoked, and with a calm that made them uneasy. Once she left, she headed toward the part of town she knew best. The building she once called home. Stopping to look at it, she smiled. Hearing the school bell ringing she looked up the street. There was a musician performing in front of the school. The foals cheered and loved it. 

Strolling up she wanted to watch as well. But she noticed something to the left. There was a colt... Storm's mind put it together faster than she could see it. She dashed forward, but the ball of paper hit first. The musician didn't fall. but it threw off his playing. The foals were uncertain if they should laugh or not, as the musician seemed upset. The colt was laughing. Storm turned and moved to a nearby guard. "Sir. That colt is harassing the musician playing for the school foals." The guard looked over, boredom all over his face. "Yea. I can see it. But its not serious. Unless the pony playing makes a complaint, I wont be leaving my post." Stormstride's anger flared. She turnedon hoof and marched away. But as she did, her horn flickered. The colt that threw the ball of paper was suddenly yelling and running around as he was chased by a tiny storm cloud. IT thundered angrily at him and kept raining on him.

The foals laughed. However the guard took notice of it. "Alright, that's enough.' Storm turned to the guard. "What's enough? I haven't heard anyone complain to you." The guard narrowed his eyes. "Call the spell off." Stormstride turned and faced him. "No. He needs to learn a lesson. Maybe some pony laughing at him will make him think twice before pulling another stunt like that." "Cal it off or... " "Or what... you'll detain me? Please. You and I both know you don't have it in you to touch a mare. As well you can barely match my size. If you want something, go ask your big colt friends for help." That had struck a nerve with the guard. He moved toward her purposefully. and the moment his hoof touched her he found himself staring at the sky. She leaned over him and spoke softly. "If you ever touch me again Private.... You will be getting a new posting to guard the most dangerous place in all of Canterlot. Trust me...I was a guard too. I was a corporal. I know everything you know and more." Her tone was level and calm. The guard scrambled up and called out an alarm. A few more came running. The teachers began ushering the foals inside. This was not going to be pleasant. "By order of the Canterlot Guard, cease and surrender." 

Storm grinned as she shifted her stance. "Ok boys.... lets play." There was a glint of mischief in her eyes. Playful and naughty. She wasn't going to hurt them, But she certainly wasn't playing by their rules anymore. 

An hour later she was being walked into the palace. Her horn was covered with a locked plate cover. Preventing her from using magic. As well she was cuffed at her hooves. just enough to let her walk slowly, but nothing else. She had a calm look on her face, and even a partial smile. The guards around her, however, gave her a wide birth to walk in. Keeping a safe distance. In front was her former commander. He was angry. With a fresh smudge of dirt on his face. It took half the barracks to make her stop. And with her magic they had to keep a distance. She hadn't hurt anyone. just made them all look like fools. Smacking flanks like a jock in the locker room, or kicking dirt up with her hind legs. He rubbed at his face, grunting as it only smeared the dirt around more. 

Coming to the main court room, they all stood silently. Stormstride looked around. this was the first time she had ever been in here. Even as a guard she had never seen it. Special events or such, she was usually at the school or stationed as a rear door watch, checking staff as they walked in and out. She saw both chairs, one for Celestia, the other for Luna. Windows lit the room nicely. She had to admit, this place was pretty. Overly done, but pretty.She looked at some of the ponies around. Nobility, wealth, all First class ponies. Not a single commoner in sight. Then her eyes fell on one mare in particular. A mare that was dressed like a queen. Covered in jewelry and her dress made of fine silk. Stormstride sighed as she sat and waited her turn. 

Princess Celestia was smiling.  In and of itself this was not a surprise, she either was or needed the appearance of being content much of the time.  Today however it was perhaps slightly broader than normal.  Thus far, every petitioner in the day court had brought forward a reasonably straightforward issue, and one which only required a little advice or encouragement on her part to solve.  Of course it remained to be seen if the respective ponies would take her words to heart, but that was out of Celestia's hooves.  It was almost looking like a day in which nothing went wrong, even if in the back of her mind she knew that the obstacles likely hadn't appeared yet.

A mare could dream.

It wasn't long for Celestia to spot the group of guards once they arrived.  'Ask and ye shall receive' she thought to herself, remembering an old phrase.  She was wondering what brought the group here.  This was day court, and while she could be called upon to judge a pony that was not the capacity in which she was acting in today.  Either there was some sort of emergency with the prisoner which required her attention, or a guard or the prisoner herself was here seeking assistance.  Celestia silently hoped the latter, as it would be a novel experience, though there would only be one way to find out.

It wasn't long before the out-of-place group's turn had arrived.  Celestia regarded them for a moment before addressing them.  “This is most unusual.”  She looked between each of them in turn.  “I'm afraid it's not entirely clear to me: which of you is the petitioner?”

Archived