Mysterious stars (RP with Lyi)

GregoryGriffon

Gregory suspected the observatory would be on top of a hill, but His legs were already so tired, even more tired than his wings, and the long path of cement stairs were just one more obstacle. He was almost certain that the unicorn Mare in that observatory was the only one in Equestria that had the answers he needed. So, those stairs needed climbed.

It wasn't as if he was happy about it,

The Chesnut colored griffon had just gotten to the crew of the stairs, huffing and puffing under the heavy book bag on his back, laying pathetically on the stoop of the domes building before reaching a weary talon up to knock on the door.

"Anypony there?" He called out.

She sighed as her spell scanned the sky once more.  A supernova had just occurred a few minutes ago, and she had been tracking its progress ever since.  She was tired, sweat beading on her forehead and muzzle.  She didn't care.  Supernovas didn't happen everyday, and she wanted to be on top of things.  She heard a voice.  A griffon voice.  Huh?  At this hour?  "Hello?  You can come it-the door should be open,"  She wasn't that gullible, though-and readied a laser spell lest things got dirty.

Gregory pushed open the door, pushing himself upright and wearily striding into the observatory, still out of breath.

"Um. . .Hi" He stammers, "I'm Gregory, I'm sorry to bother you but, I'm looking for. . ."

He pulls out a wrinkled bit of parchment from his bag, opening it and squinting,

"Uhhhh . . .Starry . . .um. .Luna this got smeared- Requirement? Reconnoiter? It's an R word,"

Gregory collapsed, weary but smiled wide, "Ohh, you have no idea how happy I am to hear that, I've been looking for someone who understands old star symbols, I've been all over Equestria and no pony have been able to tell me what these things mean!"

He pulls out a book wrapped in red velvet, the griffon unwraps thick, leather-bound tome that appears anchient. On the cover are a number of gold-foil runes, and the pages are crumbling yellow vellum.

"This is the Grimorium Astronalum," He explains, "It's a alchemy manual that's almost a thousand moons old, and I was hired to translate it. Most of it is written in Griffonic runes which I can read, but not these,"

He opens the old book, to a section of folded pages. He unfurls one to reveal what appears to be a star-chart.

"Most of what is written on these maps is not griffonic runes, or any language I know. What IS written in runes makes no sense,"

He seems very embarrassed, suddenly appearing self-conscience.

"I have no idea what these charts are supposed to be, I need somepony who knows stars and astronomical symbols, ponie's in town said I should see you."

She laughed out loud-a crisp, clear sound, "Unless you can somehow add a heat signal to the specific runes and chart lines, I'm afraid I can be of no help,"  her eyes were wide and curious, though-the dark pupilless thoughts welling up deep inside them.

Gregory seemed puzzled a brief moment, before realizing the mare was blind.

"Oh," he taps a talon to his beak, "I don't think I wanna warm up this old book. . .its already falling apart. What if I copied the symbols on a parchment with some warm ink? I think they may represent old star symbols,"

The Griffon blushed a bit at his absent mindedness, then produced an inkwell and unfurled a parchment. Lighting a candle, he held the Inklwell above it, waiting for it to warm.

"I've checked every symboligy guide I have access too," he muttered, waiting for the ink to get nice and warm. "But nothing at all at what these symbols mean. I showed them to a few ponies at the library and they told me you might know. They tried to show me your picture in the paper but it looks like sompony took it with a telephoto lense. . .why were they so concerned with an astrophysicist?" he smirks and adds under his breath "ponies are weird,"

Archived