Treading Unfamiliar Ground [Private] [Concluded]

DerpRavener

Red took a deep breath as he looked into Naj's deep blue eyes again, as much in satisfaction at the sight as to quell the slight tremble in his hooves and his racing heartbeat. After another such a breath, he reached for Naj's left hoof, holding it between both of his forehooves. Swallowing so that his voice didn't nervously come out an octave higher than normal, he gazed back into her eyes before he spoke.

"When I met you - I mean really met you, in the garden in Ponyville - I had no idea what to expect. I had never thought I would ever knowingly see a changeling up close, or what would happen if I did. It was astounding to me then, but it has only gotten better since. I've learned so much from you, done things I didn't think I had the courage to do, and you've been right there, sharing every moment. Since you've come into my life, I've felt happy, loved, thought of, and very, very, safe and secure." he said, smiling especially as he said the last few words, knowing how important it was to her that he remained safe through so many of the difficult things they had been through together.

Red bit his lip, swallowed again, squeezed her hoof gently in his, and with a hopeful gaze into her eyes, said, "So, what I wanted to ask is, Naj, will you marry me?"

• 1 month later...

Naj wasn't sure what to expect.  She certainly didn't mind the hoof-holding, and although a part of her preferred the hug it was clear this was the lead up to something important.  When Red started talking, she was very attentive, trying to absorb every word he said.

Red summarized all the good things he'd felt with Naj, starting with that time in the garden when Naj first removed her disguise for him.  It brought a blush to Naj's face, hearing all this praise and all the wonderful things attributed to her, and it was a fight to keep her eyes on red instead of looking away.  She was happy to hear that she had provided some many good things for him of course, but it just seemed so...natural.  She was trying, of course she was, but that was because Red deserved it.  It wasn't out of any desire for praise, and on some level it wasn't even really about Naj expecting to succeed in that regard.  High praise like this was always something she had some trouble accepting.

All of that was completely brushed aside by what Red did next however.

"So, what I wanted to ask is, Naj, will you marry me?"
Naj was stunned.  She'd known this coming on some level, Red had brought up the idea in the past and Naj had been open to it.  Despite that she was, somewhat ironically, overcome with the emotion of the moment.  She stood stock still for a moment, wide-eyed, mouth slightly open, and wings intermittently buzzing.  Then, in an instant she threw Red into a hug and nuzzled him more fiercely than he had ever been in his life.  “Yes!” she cried out, before almost whispering, “of course I will...”  She held Red close, and her wings buzzed in excitement.

• 2 weeks later...

Red watched, expectantly, almost holding his breath the whole time Naj looked at him in silence. His eyes glanced to her sometimes buzzing wings, wondering what part of changeling body language he was missing, but still focused on what the answer would be.

And then it came, and she held him like he was never going to be let go again.

She said "Yes".

She said "Yes"!

And there was absolutely no doubt about it, either.

Red wrapped his hooves around her, holding her tightly, though mindful of her excitedly buzzing wings. He finally let out that anticipatory breath, nuzzling her back passionately in a rush of emotion that made him feel like he must have been the happiest, giddiest stallion in Equestria right now.

"I love you so much," he said softly in her ear, before nuzzling her again.

• 2 weeks later...

Naj didn't respond with words, which was just as well as she didn't have the vocabulary for this sort of thing anyways.  In place of speaking, she simply hummed happily and squeezed Red more tightly.  The two of them sat embracing each other for some time.  Naj wasn't sure she ever wanted this moment to end, content to lay in the grass with her fiancee even if that last distinction was something she would need some time to get used to.

It couldn't last forever, of course.  Even setting aside duties or basic needs, it was bound to become too cold to be comfortable eventually, at least for Naj.  The weather in Stalliongrad was something she could endure, but not something she was sure she would ever be completely used to.  Tonight wasn't about endurance anyhow, but spending time with one's special somepony.  The pair would head home soon enough, and presumably continue cuddling there.

That would have to be a concern for later though, Naj wasn't thinking about anything so distant at the moment.  She let out a happy sigh, still gripping Red tight.  For now, she was completely content to lay on the grass under the stars, embracing the love of her life.

[End]

Archived