Canterlot Family Fun Festival

Skipper

A blue mare with pink mane tied up in a delicate ponytail (that looked a little too fancy for a pregnant mare)  huffed and puffed as she hurried towards the city center in her attempt to be one of the first at the festival. She knew if she didn't get there early, all the good foal stuff would be snatched up. She needed a few blankets, bottles, a crib, a basket ...  Well, she pretty much needed everything, but she had held off buying anything until this festival as she liked to support local business. 

As Peachy Glow hurriedly waddled on over she began to get excited. Not just excited for the fair - she was looking forward to browsing the wares and picking out what she thought her foal would like. She imagined her baby frolicking in a lovely orange woolen blanket. Then she imagined him throwing a tantrum over his bottle. She chuckled lighty as she patted her large belly with the tip of her wing and kept on. 

The sun was shining and it was the perfect day for this event - not too hot, not too cold. She wouldn't sweat under the heat of the sun, nor would she find herself shivering. She felt as though nothing could quite go wrong on such a beautiful day. Summer was in the air! 

"The baby must know that too," she thought aloud, wincing slightly as she felt a short sharp kick inside her belly. "Oof! Getting ready to come out now are we?" she asked her tummy, gaining a few strange looks from passing ponies. 

Eventually she arrived and to her dismay she wasn't the first to arrive, but at least it wasn't too busy yet. Smiling to herself and taking a big breath, she relaxed and sauntered on over to the first stall she saw, ready to begin her days shopping.

Tooth's chocolate brown fur was shaking with excitement. Being the first time she's had an opportunity to open a stall at an event such as this, she reveled in the opportunity to show her skills. She had carefully set her stall up so that her best was on display the large oven behind her was fired up ready. Her vanilla hair was carefully tied as to keep it out of the way during her baking. 

She looked at the first of many ponies making their way into the fair. She stood ready and vigilant basking in the warm summer sun.....For about four seconds before quickly pacing with excitement. She trotted to her oven to do one last check of supplies and preparation. It was rather expensive to have them set up here but hopefully it would all be worth it.

"Oh, this is going to be so fun!" she exclaimed a massive grin gracing her features. She returned to the front of the stall hoping to leave some happy customers.

"Wonder what this stall is selling..."

Macadam didn't have much of a reason to be here; his family didn't live around Canterlot, and he didn't really intend to buy a whole lot of things from the booths. He wasn't even married yet, and his sister is too young to even consider having one herself. The grey earth pony stallion had one of his surveying cameras wrapped around his neck and behind his hoof, hanging on his right side, and appeared slightly out of place due to his apparel choice. For a festival he didn't dress all that formally; Macadam didn't bother to button his dark coat and he didn't have a tie nor a bowtie on him.

But he needed an excuse to leave his workplace and stop idling around – he hasn't gotten any surveying work yet, so Macadam decided to come out and take some pictures at the family festival. Macadam looked around curiously and picked up his camera, and with his steady hooves took a few pictures of the booth and the crowd of ponies around him; they weren't the best pictures; it was a hobby he had, not a profound skill, after all.

He arrived at one of the booths, raising his ears once a sweet aroma of cake (or was it pie?) went right into his muzzle. Macadam looked around for a line, finding none as it seemed that it was just recently set up, and while she wasn't looking he decided to take a picture of the oven, aiming at it with his lens and preparing...before the mare returned right back at the front of the booth. The stallion paused what he was doing and scrunched. ...This is certainly awkward.

To say that Tooth was confused would be an understatement. She was so excited to greet her first customer of the day. But, when she turns around she sees a camera pointed towards her supplies. Her eyes focused on the camera in the stallion's hooves. Then back to his scrunched face.

'Well this is unexpected,' she thought  smile never leaving her features. 'I wonder why he was going to take picture.'

"....Um, hello there," Tooth said uncertainly before looking between him and the oven. "It's nice isn't it?"

Alright...act natural... Macadam slowly moved his camera down, staring back at the mare while remaining silent. "Um...yeah," he finally replied, flattening his mane while hiding the bead of sweat that was trickling behind his ear. "Sorry, I was...just taking pictures. It's just a hobby I do when I'm off work and all. And actually, I was thinking of buying a pie and trying one myself."

He looked around curiously, noticing that there was no one near her booth yet. "...Am I your first customer?" Macadam asked, grinning slightly. It was an appropiate subject change to get him off that small issue, and he went into his bags to pull out a hoofful of bits.

She smiled nervously. " Yeah you are, but the festival did just start so I'm hoping that it won't stay like this for long." She looked past him at the entrance looking at the slow trickle of ponies entering. 

" But, besides that what kinda pie would you like? I have apple, cherry, strawberry, lemon....." She paused realizing that she was rambling."I can make a lot of different varieties. what kind would you like?" She inquired.

Archived