Clashing Thunder [ENDED]

ZephyrBurst

Max waited for a moment for the reaction from the green Pegasus. His ominous words scared him, but Zephyr was upon him before he could act. 

A strong blow to his jaw sent him rolling onto his chest, he could taste blood flowing in his mouth. Max's response was to cry out, and a small amount of blood sprayed out onto the cavern floor. That was something that had never happened to him before. 

Max only had a moment to worry about his jaw, he quickly felt a very funny feeling in one of his legs... Like a burning and tearing sensation. As the full pain started to seize his body, Maximilian started to shout out in agony. The muscles in his leg twisted and tore, causing a pain so intense it threatened to knock Max out. Zephyr threatened to break his leg, and Max had no trouble believing him.

The rich unicorn had never been much trained in the use of magic, a short stay at Celestia's school saw him expelled for using magic to counterfeit bits. Of all the spells he learned, there was only one he could use in this situation. Somehow, he focused through the pain, and his horn started to glow. Right when the pain was at it's worse, a blindingly bright flare erupted from Max's horn. 

The green Pegasus pulled his hooves close to protect his face, the sudden movement tearing whatever muscles were left intact in the leg. Zephyr stumbled back, releasing Max. The white stallion turned and gave Zephyr a hard strike to his left eye, before scrambling backward, away from his assailant.

Maximilian tried to stand, but his front leg gave out and be collapsed to the ground, moaning in pain. He knew he didn't have much time until Zephyr recovered, and that strike to the face probably didn't do much to improve his mood. Maximilian had to gamble now.

"How are you going to get out of here?" He shouted, with a pained expression.

Max was speaking through the pain, and he would continuously get up and fall over. 

"Listen! I know you're pissed, but killing me or breaking my legs just makes it much harder for you to escape!"

He couldn't help but curse out in pain."Mother rutting Celestia! What did you do to me?"

Max groaned in pain. "I know this will sound crazy, and i'm probably only saying it so you'll stop beating me, but we're going to have to work together."

Zephyr was fixated on Max' leg. Ready for any reason to break it. The unicorn was crying out in pain which gave Zephyr an unusual satisfaction. He remembered the thrills of fighting again and was ready to break Max' leg without any further hesitation. Suddenly Max' horn glowed brightly, giving off a blinding light. Zephyr jerked backward, tearing the muscles in Max' leg when he brought his right hoof up to guard his face. Surprisingly, he felt Max hit him hard in his left eye. Zephyr grunted in pain and stepped back to avoid a possible follow up. Max wasn't very strong, but a hit to the face still hurt.

His vision re-stabilized and Zephyr brought his hoof down, ready to tear his target apart. Max had fought back and was now fair game as far as Zephyr was concerned.

"You've been lucky up to this point Max, but now you're really going to get it..."

Zephyr was interrupted.

""How are you going to get out of here?" Max wasn't standing, he was trying, but he wasn't doing a very good job of it, as something was wrong with his leg. He listened to Max' words with surprise. The unicorn had finally said something that wasn't hurtful and actually wanted to work with him.

Max looked pathetic. The sight of him moaning in pain and barely being able to stand, accompanied by his shift in disposition brought Zephyr to realize the full scale of what he had done. The previous fear he had returned and Zephyr was ready to cry again. He had done what he told himself he'd never do again. He had beaten Max rather rough and sprained his leg. For the first time since his reform, he had lashed out in anger, and was scared by what he was capable of in that state.

He fully heard and understood Max' offer to work together, but the distress at harming another pony when it wasn't in self defense was too much. Zephyr fell to the ground and began crying. Ashamed for what he did, he tried hiding his face from Max. It was hard to speak through his crying, but he tried.

"I'm so sorry Max." He wanted to say more, but tears kept coming.

Maximilian wasn't expecting that. The crying seemingly came out of nowhere, and all Max would do was stare. His mind tried to process what was happening, but he just came up blank. 

What the heck was Zephyr doing? Max couldn't figure it out. All he could do was stagger towards the emotionally broken stallion. When he spoke, it was filled with anger and confusion.

"You're sorry."

His confusion turned to fury. "You're sorry?!" Max stood over Zephyr, wobbling. "Well that just solves everything!"

"It warms my heart to know that you genuinely feel awful about what you did!"

Max loomed over the pegasus, sneering down at him. He noticed the severity of he tears, and he fell silent. Was Zephyr trying to trick him again? Max desperately wanted to believe the Pegasus, but he couldn't be sure. 

The tiniest feeling of guilt could be felt in Max's gut, as he started to realize the cost of his 'fun'.

"Are you serious?" Max tried to lean over, but his leg gave out and he ended up sprawled on he ground next to Zephyr. He cried out in pain as he collided with the ground.

"I want to believe you, but how can I? Especially after this..." 

Max's voice grew quiet, deep in thought. "I don't trust you, I know you'll just take me out and run."

The tears continued to flow as Max spoke. Zephyr couldn't tell if Max was being sarcastic or not, but he did understand that Max was genuinely confused if he could be trusted. Zephyr wasn't sure how to prove to Max that he wasn't out to get him, but he somehow had to. He wanted to stop crying, but it was hard with the thoughts of what he had done.

Zephyr tried to focus on something else to stop his racing emotions. He knew the first thing that had to be done was getting the cave unblocked. Max was unable to help with his leg in that condition, not that he would be willing to dirty his rich snobby hooves anyway. The cave was dark and made it hard to see what to dig at. He suddenly had an idea and knew the two of them could get out of there if they worked together. Zephyr stood up. Max was on the ground, not wanting to stand on his sprained leg. Zephyr's crying had subsided and he looked down at Max with a stern look as he wiped his eyes.

"Max, I can't say anything to get you to trust me and I'm not going to try, but I at least need you to work with me till we get out of this cave. You said it yourself a moment ago."

Zephyr noticed that the storm outside had started to calm as he could no longer hear it very well. It seems the weather pegasus had realized their mistake.

"I won't ask you to help dig us out and I know you wouldn't... even if your leg wasn't sprained." He looked at Max with a sly smirk.

"Max, how long can you use that light spell?" He looked at the cave entrance for a moment and then back to Max.

Maximilian squirmed on the ground, trying to get up. He was still angry at Zephyr, but slowly a feeling of guilt started to seep in.

"If I have to work with you to get out, so be it!"

Max was able to stagger to his hooves, as long as he kept his weight off of the injured one. He looked at Zephyr just in time to catch the sly smirk.

"I would help you, but I think a pony like you is much more qualified for physical labor."

Max closed his eyes, pain racking his body. "Let's, let's just get this over with." He was barely able to stand, and he just tried not to focus on the pain.

Why did he feel bad? All he did was tell zephyr the truth, and yet he felt terrible about it. Something in the back of his mind was nagging at him.

He shot a glance at Zephyr. "I can use that spell as long as I need to." 

Max focused and illuminated the area. "Just make sure not to kill me until after we make a hole. I want to die for something.

Zephyr shielded his eyes as Max' spell lit up the dark cave. The light was bright and Zephyr wondered how unicorns didn't hurt their eyes with these spells.

"Ugh, why are you so annoying? I'm not going to hurt you... anymore." He didn't speak angrily, but in a more annoyed childish tone.

He looked over at the cave entrance to examine the rubble now that he could see it. After a moment, he saw a way he could dig a hole near the top big enough to get them both out. Curiously, he trotted to the base of the rubble and looked up.

"If it's not TOO hard, take a few steps back." He looked over to Max, keeping a sarcastic tone. "I'd HATE for you to get crushed by rocks."

Zephyr zipped up to the rubble where a few bigger rocks were and began examining it before starting to shift and dig around to try clearing a path. He could see outside through the seams between rocks where the light came through. The storm had indeed started to calm down.

Max laughed sarcastically at Zephyr's comments.

"I'm sure you'd be devastated if anything happened to me."

He stumbled back a few steps, trying not to moan out in pain. Max's slipped up and fell over backwards. The rich stallion stumbled back to his hooves, his front right leg was swollen and blue. He tried to keep his weight off of it and keep the spell going.

Max had to keep his mind off of the pain, he focused on the task at hoof, shining his light wherever Zephyr needed it. He would brighten or dim it when needed, and the two worked well together for the moment.

During the work, Max's mind would wander back to Zephyr, and his guilt returned. He was confused, part of him felt justified for what he did, but another part of him was ashamed. 

Over time though, his suspicions creeped up, and he couldn't stay silent.

"Um... If you dig the hole up there, how do I get out?"

Zephyr sighed when he heard Max' question. OF COURSE Max would suspect him of using and ditching him. He was starting to think it might've been a good idea to just let Max get hit with rocks. Zephyr stopped and looked down at Max.

"Oh that's easy Max..." He turned and moved a hoof sized rock off the rubble. "It was my intention to leave you here to rot alone." Zephyr said it jokingly, it wasn't often that Zephyr made a joke as his tone wasn't quite sarcastic, and he wasn't sure how he was supposed to sound when making one. He giggled after, hoping Max would get it.

He turned to look at Max again. "If I didn't care at all about your well being, why would I bother to tell you to get back from the falling debris?" He turned back to work at the cave in again.

"If you need to know, I planned on making this hole big enough for me to fly you out on my back. But if you want to keep assuming I'm out to get you, I can leave you here. I mean I wouldn't want to prove you wrong!" Zephyr's tone displayed that he was annoyed, but not like before, he was much more calm in his demeanor.

Maximilian didn't laugh at Zephyr's comments, too deep in thought to play along. He still didn't completely believe Zephyr, he went from rage to crying and then to some cool nonchalance, it didn't  make sense!

Max scowled, trying to show that he wasn't fooled. He continued to shine his light, and despite the pain he continued to assist Zephyr.

"I'm only helping you because I have to, I still don't trust you."

Max groaned, his leg hurt no matter what he did, so he just tried to suffer through it. His mind wouldn't leave him be, and he found himself once again having doubts.

"Why did you stop? You had me right where you wanted me, and yet now you act like it never happened. You deservedly beat me up..." Max didn't know why be added 'deservedly' to that sentence. "...so how can I know you won't leave me behind?"

Max would have continued talking, but he had to stop and cry out in pain as his swollen leg was put under stress. He stood there, panting, trying to hold in the pain.

Zephyr didn't respond to Max at first. He was trying to concentrate as he had almost gotten a larger rock free from the wall.

He tried not to sound so annoyed. "I stopped because..." He paused for a moment as he was intently digging out a few bigger rocks. "Because what I did was wrong... Even if you did have it coming. And for the last time, I'm not going to, FINALLY!"

Zephyr pinned his hind legs to the wall to use for extra leverage when he placed his two fore hooves on a larger rock and pushed hard. The rock barely moved at first and Zephyr began to grunt as he used all his strength to push it out the other side. The rock slid out and Zephyr's body laid on the top of the debris as a result of the push. He could see outside clearly, and could even get out if he wanted, but he couldn't leave Max.

That area of the debris started to shift and eventually cause a rock slide. Part of which, Zephyr was using to rest his hind legs on. His hind legs followed the rocks sliding down and Zephyr came with it soon after. He quickly tried to push off the rocks and fly, but he was only half successful. His right hind leg was hit with a falling rock as he pushed himself away and he tumbled backward to the ground, landing on his back a few paces away from Max. Luckily for the both of them, the rock slide didn't go far and helped to make an opening big enough for both of the ponies.

The escape was set, a giant hole up above was made and Zephyr could leave anytime he wanted. Max waited for the inevitable moment where he was left behind, ditched, abandoned to die. He would perish knowing he was right, and that ponies really didn't change.

Zephyr stayed there. 

Max waited a few more moments, assuming that Zephyr was toying with him.  

How cruel.

Maximilian stood there, in pain, waiting for his fate to be sealed. He knew it was only a matter of time before Zephyr got up and flew out of the hole.

It didn't happen.

How strange.

Slowly, like trying to get through equestrian customs, Max's brain started to realize something. It was a strange truth, one that would have been realized earlier, If not for the violent developments. The realization that Max had it all wrong, that it wasn't Zephyr who preyed on the innocent for his own gain... 

It was him. 

Max was the one who took from ponies, who hurt ponies, who made them suffer. Zephyr stole because he had to, Max hurt others to help his bottom line. Sure, they were both trying to change, Zephyr had apparently stopped robbing, and Max hadn't broken a law in ages,  but it was obvious who was doing a better job of changing.

The truth hit Max like a ton of bricks, crashing into his psyche and breaking down his mental barriers. A whole surge of emotions hit him at once, sadness, anxiety, anger, disappointment, frustration, sorrow, angst; all culminating in a gentle sigh and bowing of the head. 

Max didn't speak, he just stood there, dejected and devastated. He wanted to apologize, but he knew it wouldn't mean much; besides, a small part of him still felt justified.

The Rockefilly knew his legacy, and he couldn't lose sight of it because of one exception to the rule. 

His mind settled, and the pain was worse than ever. Max had to stand on three hooves, the forth dangling uselessly in the air. It was swollen, blue, and crooked; Max wondered how he would explain this to everypony back in Manehattan.

He focused on somepony's pain other than his, and he saw that Zephyr was still down on the ground. The rich unicorn staggered over to check on the fallen Pegasus, genuinely concerned.

"Zephyr? Are you ok?"

Zephyr laid on his back for a moment trying to assess if he was injured or not. The fall hurt his back side and his hind legs stung a little, especially the one that was nicked when he tried to get away from the falling rocks. Bending and turning didn't reveal anything unusual, just the normal pain that came from falling. He was relieved to know nothing was sprained or broken, though Zephyr was usually lucky with that kind of stuff.

Max limped over to the upside down pegasus actually looking concerned for Zephyr's well being. It wasn't expected, but Zephyr believed it to be a facade. He shot Max an upset stare.

"What do you care?" Zephyr rolled over to bring himself up on all four hooves and shook himself off as well as he could. His fur was still damp from when he was caught in the rain which caused some dirt to stick to him. He hated that tugging feeling it had on his fur. Just something else to annoy him. Previous thoughts about Max letting the authorities know about this, returned. Somepony is going to ask him what happened, even worse was when he brought Max back to Manehatten. Leaving Max here would solve most of that. It was possible Max could eventually get out on his own if he really tried... maybe. It didn't matter, Zephyr couldn't leave him here. He had already done something he shouldn't have, which made him feel bad enough.

Zephyr looked up at the gap in the cave in, which was now bigger. He sighed when he realized the day was no where near being over. He was going to have to carry Max. At least out of the cave, which was going to be rough on his wings. He sighed again.

"I should have hurt your legs AFTER getting out of the cave." He wasn't even sure what that meant or what difference it made to anything. He looked at Max, but didn't smile. Reluctantly, Zephyr kneeled down.

"Well hurry up, get on my back so we can finally get out of this cave." He was actually looking forward to the light rain that still came down outside.

Max stumbled back when Zephyr yelled at him. It seemed like the Rockefilly wasn't the only one having a hard time getting rid of suspicions.

"I care because if you injured yourself, we're both screwed."

The rich stallion lurched around, trying not to put weight on his injured leg. He moaned in pain and watched Zephyr get up and shake himself clean.

Zephyr sighed and shot him a look, commenting on how he should have injured him after making the exit. Max sighed as well, and silently nodded.

The green delivery pony crouched down and told the Rockefilly to get on. Max gingerly staggered over to Zephyr and looked at him, puzzled. After a moment he realized how to do it, and he clumsily got on Zephyr's back, holding on with his back legs and one of his front ones. His injured leg was draped over the pegasus' shoulder, and the blue, crooked appendage dangled in Zephyr's face. Each movement causing another grunt of pain from Maximilian.

He knew that Zephyr was putting himself in danger with his assistance, and he knew that there was one thing he could do for the Pegasus. 

"Zephyr, I know you don't trust me. I don't expect you to, but believe me when I say I will not report you to the authorities."

Max took a deep breath and shifted right before take off. 

"I don't like you, and I really would love to see you get what you deserve... But I can't betray you, not after you've helped me like this."

Max got quiet, his voice was barely audible. "I don't know how much it means to you, but you have my word..."

As Max climbed on and his weight fully shifted onto him, he suddenly understood just how hard this was going to be. If this was punishment for what he had just done, it was justly deserved, he thought. Max' sprained leg dangled in his face, and thoughts of Max complaining about the pain right in his ear during the trip filled his mind with preemptive annoyance.

"I'll believe what you say when your actions follow up your words. Till then, I don't care. And just to make sure it's clear. I don't like you either and would rather leave you in this cave. I'm really not sure what's making me do this, so look at it how ever your corrupt mind would."

He began to take off. "Now hold on. If you fall, I'm not stopping to pick you up." Zephyr was only antagonizing Max and had every intent to make sure Max got to Manehatten safely. As much as he hated Max, he simply couldn't leave him. It was troubling, yet liberating to know he could bring himself to help.

The initial lift off, before his wings could catch a current, was the hardest part. He lifted himself off the ground and flew up toward the hole he made. The musty damp air inside the cave, mixed with his damp fur and dirt drying on him, made the flight toward the exit harsh. When Zephyr reached the exit, he had to move slow to get through. He began crawling through to keep from scraping Max along the cave ceiling and to give his wings a small break. The crawl seemed to take forever. The outside was right there within reach and Zephyr so desperately wanted to be out of the cave. It finally happened and there was a great sense of freedom and reprieve afterward.

"Now you really need to hold on..." And with that, he boosted himself with a kick off the cave wall and flew off toward Manehatten. He knew this was going to be a long flight. Zephyr kept his altitude fairly low in case he needed to land abruptly like Max starting to slip off. Normally he would fly well above the trees, sometimes above the clouds. As he imagined, the soft rain felt great.

Maximilian was surprisingly quiet, holding in the pain he felt so that Zephyr could focus on the task at hoof. The pegasus's words stung him, and he tried not to think about them while they were getting out of the cave.

Zephyr told him to hold on tight, and the Rockefilly listened, squeezing the other pony tight around the midsection. He felt the wind blow past him as the two ponies flew up into the air.

This was amazing! Max had flown before, but always in a stuffy carriage or a slow moving balloon.

I should do this more often, this is way better than some stuff old carriage on the ground...

Max's brain froze for a moment.

Carriage on the ground...

The rich stallion started to panic, and he thrashed about on top of Zephy. 

"Go back! Go back go back go back go back!"

Max shouted in Zephyr's ear.

"I need to check on my employee who was pulling my carriage! I left him behind, but I told him I would go back for him!"

Max lifted his good front hoof and pointed at the road they were flying over. "Turn around and follow this road!"I

[[OOC: This thread is now open.]]

The sudden thrashing about and shouting came as a shock to Zephyr. Why did the unicorn want to go back to the cave?!

"I am NOT going back to that cave!"

"I need to check on my employee who was pulling my carriage! I left him behind, but I told him I would go back for him!"

Oh great, it was a detour. The flight to Manehatten was going to be hard enough, but now there was more. It took a moment for Max' words to fully come together in Zephyr's mind. Max had left a pony out in the storm?! He wanted to stop to throw Max off, and yell at him about how disloyal that was, but now there was a pony that needed to be checked up on. There was no time to stop for that. Max was holding on tightly, almost squeezing his underside, so he knew Max wouldn't fly off during the turn. It was expected, he figured Max had probably never flown on a pegasus' back like this and was probably nervous.

Zephyr changed direction to where Max pointed, trying not to turn too sharply. Mainly for his own well being as Max would probably squeeze harder if he had.

"Max, I'm not threatening you here, but if this pony is hurt because of this, I'm going to do more than sprain that leg of yours. You had better hope he's all right." Zephyr was starting to think that he should lay off of Max. He looked miserable the last time he saw his face and not because of the pain in his leg. Max was a horrible pony, but he was making an effort to be understanding and Zephyr decided it would be best to try and be as friendly as possible. The situation certainly could use less confrontation. Zephyr was realizing that both of them felt lower than dirt...

Max was glad that Zephyr was listening to him. The well being of his employee was actually important to him.

"First of all, that is a very blatant threat. Secondly, the pony was tangled In the reins, I couldn't do anything for him, and I didn't think I'd be gone for so Long..."

Max was silent as they continued flying, he kept quiet so that be could focus on finding his carriage. After a short time, a wreck could be seen, with a large pony stuck in front.

"There!" Max pointed.

Zephyr landed, and Max hastily jumped off of his back, forgetting that he was limited to only three legs at the moment. The Rockefilly stumbled towards the carriage before tumbling over and crying out in surprise and pain. 

The sound startled a large, dark grey earth pony who was tangled up in the wreckage of the carriage. He was a large pony, and he was still soaked, having been out in the rain this whole time.

"Sir? Sir is that you?" There was a rustling sound as he tried to free himself.

"Ow! Yes it...oh Celestia ow this hurts really bad owch oh gosh.... Is!" 

Max dragged himself over to the earth pony. "Don't look so surprised, I said I'd be back."

The pony got a good look at his boss, and his eyes were drawn to one thing in particular."Boss! What happened to your leg?!"

Without hesitating, Max replied, "Just a nasty accident, don't worry about it." Max changed the subject. "Once we get you out of there, do you think you can walk?" The pony nodded.

The Rockefilly looked back at Zephyr, expectantly. "Help me untangle him!"

Zephyr didn't respond to Max afterward, he only remained quiet. There was nothing to say to Max. Zephyr would just wind up saying something hurtful anyway. It wasn't long until he heard Max shout and point to a broken carriage. Zephyr landed close by and Max jumped off immediately. To his surprise, Max actually did care for his employee's safety. Again, Max seemed to forget about his leg and stumbled over because of it. Each time made Zephyr feel worse.

Zephyr waited on the side as Max approached the large earth pony. He was getting nervous again. Max could rat him out at any time. His heart rate sped up when the pony asked Max about his leg. This was it...

Instead, Max lied. Zephyr gave a quiet sigh of relief.

When Max asked for help, Zephyr didn't waste any time and approached the tangled earth pony.

"Oh, of course!"

The ropes were tangled up pretty good, it seemed like he was tied up this way. It took awhile to untangle him completely and Max wasn't able to help very well. It was almost painful for Zephyr to see Max in so much pain trying to do this. Zephyr eventually had to bat Max away so he could untangle the pony on his own.

"Just go rest your leg Max, you can't do much with it like that."

It wasn't really easier without Max, but not having to watch him fumble around in pain was a better alternative. Near the end of the untangling process, he asked Max to hold down a piece of rope for him, but anything requiring Max to use more than his left hoof would be too much.

The earth pony finally came loose. He didn't seem to be seriously injured at all, which was a relief. Zephyr still waited for Max to reveal what actually happened.

Max stumbled over to his employee, relieved to see him ok. The rich stallion once again fell over, and the large earth pony got to his hooves and scrambled over to help him. There were some fresh scars on his back, but the pony handled the pain well. Max opened his mouth to speak, but be was cut off.

"Boss, who's this?" The employee looked over at Zephyr, a mix of gratitude and suspicion. "I'm glad he helped me, but I have to ask."

Max wasn't upset with the earth pony, he had trained his employees to look out for him. The suspicion was actually a good thing, and normally Max would rat Zephyr out and let the pony beat the crud out of him.

"He's the pony who found me after I got injured, he's going to help me get back to Manehattan."

The Rockefilly staggered to his hooves and approached his loyal servant; he also, in a rare gesture, draped a hoof around him. His battered leg dangled in the other pony's face. The earth pony straightened up. 

"If you think you can make it, head down the road to the nearest town. I'll send somepony to fetch you. Just take your time and rest up, you did good."

The pony was ready to tackle the imposter and go looking for the real Maximilian Rockefilly Jr, but the employee relented and went on his way.

For a few silent moments, Max watched the earth pony head down the road, away from Manehattan. The rich Unicorn turned around and looked at Zephyr.

"Are you just going to stand there, or can we get moving? Be glad I didn't rat you out, and don't say 'thanks'. Just get me back home so I never have to see you again."

Zephyr just watched again as Max gave his earth pony employee instructions and sent him off. He was happy that this whole ordeal was almost over and watched the earth pony walk away. Just then, Max turned to Zephyr. He returned a glare back to Max.

"I can't do that Max..." Zephyr paused before continuing and smiled at Max.

"You could have given me away but you didn't. For that... thanks. I really do appreciate it." He looked down the road in the direction of Manehatten.

His expression became a little more serious. "But I'll be glad to not have to see you ever again either."

Zephyr approached Max, dropped his body low to the ground, and waited for him to climb on again. He still had more to say to Max, but he would wait till they were off the ground.

With a huff, Max slowly clambered onto Zephyr's back. His leg still pained him immensely, but it started to numb. The blue limb dangled in front of the pegasus' muzzle.

"I guess we agree on something, we can't stand the sight of each other."

Soon enough, Max was back on top, and he waited for the two of them to take off.

"You know, Zephyr, I told you not to thank me, but I guess I shouldn't expect you to follow simple directions."

Max sighed. "So if you'd be so kind, let's go to Manehattan."

Again, Max draped his injured hoof in front of his face. He's annoying even when he's not trying to be and his ordering Zephyr around wasn't helping. He kicked off the ground for a quick start and shot off toward Manehattan, again keeping his altitude low.

"I am not one of your employees and I don't take orders from you!" Zephyr thought back on the cave, it was something that boggled his mind. He considered Max to be very lucky, had he run into Zephyr in the same situation only a few months ago, the outcome would have been far less fortunate for Max. Zephyr pushed these thoughts to the side for the question at hand.

"I don't understand something Max. In the cave, why did you antagonize me like that? What purpose would that serve? AND, why did you continue to do that when you knew what I was capable of? I just don't understand why you would put yourself in danger like that. And be honest, even if you think it'll sound hurtful. You're good at..." He stopped mid-sentence, again he was being hurtful to Max when he shouldn't. Since he couldn't bring himself to hurt him anymore, it was all coming out in verbal form.

It was an interesting spot to be in. Flying through the air on the back of a pony who had rendered one of your legs useless, and then the interrogation starts. Max realized that this situation didn't lend itself well to lying or insults, so it seemed like he would have to be at least partially honest.

"Well, I found myself in a cave with a seemingly normal pony. I had no clue I'd eventually be trapped, or that you'd turn out to be so violent."

He took a deep breath.

"I suppose I wanted some fun. I was faced with the prospect of a very long stay in that cave, so I decided to entertain myself. Getting under somepony's skin is usually fun, but mostly for me."

Max sounded nonchalant, as if the idea of messing with a pony's head was as normal as a daffodil sandwich.

"Honestly, I didn't know you'd be so easy, and I didn't know what I'd find. Once I did, I should have stopped, but something kept me going."

"Maybe it was some pretentious self-righteousness, or some naive sense of punishment for you, but I didn't feel like giving you any respite once I'd learned the truth."

"Learning what you were capable of only strengthened my conviction, to the point where you had to brutally assault me to finally get me to cooperate."

Max shifted his weight, trying to keep the injured leg dangling in the air, as opposed to painfully pressed between the ponies.

"Oh please, continue the thought you had earlier; I think I deserve a hurtful comment every now and then, even when it sounds like it will be a compliment." 

"There's no point in saying anything else hurtful or insulting. We both messed up and we're both terrible ponies."

Zephyr didn't see any point in further conversation with Max. Neither pony liked the other and it was probably best if they remained silent for the rest of the trip and parted ways once they reached Manehattan. He did want to verbalize this thought, but paused first.

"I have nothing else to say to you Max. And unless you've got something important to say... even then, just don't... I don't like you and I'm only doing this to make up for that leg injury. When we get to Manehatten, I don't care what happens to you." He did feel he should make sure Max found some help when they arrived in the city. Maybe to a hospital. Either way, he had hoped Max was done. What he said and what he felt seemed to conflict somewhat.