A Buggy Conversation in Stalliongrad [Private]

DerpRavener

"My cutie mark? I am a master survivalist. Place me in any enviroment, no matter how hostile, and I thrive." Twin Peaks explained as she set her saddlebags onto the floor. "It was when I was but a filly..."

"Here she goes again..." Texty said under his breath, though he didn't seem that bothered by listening to the story once more. Rose Quill got up so that her wife could sit down next to Texty, the weight causing him to slump into her before he righted himself.

"My father loved hiking, and would bring me with him. One day, as we were making camp on the base of a forrested mountain, I wandered off and got lost. I was on my own for a week as he searched for me, but I wasn't scared. I was excited! Surviving on only my wits, making use of the land and all the stories and advice my father told me, I realized that this is what I loved! On the third day, as I faced a bear and lived to tell the tale, I saw that my mark had arrived. When I saw my father again, he was so proud of me."

Rose Quill took the time turing the story to put the groceries away, first by dragging the heavy saddlebags into the kitchen.

The way Texty and Rose reacted, it was clear that this story had been told many times.  All the same, Naj listened attentively, having never heard the story herself for one thing, but also having some history of needing survival skills herself.  The story itself sounded a little unbelievable, though not entirely implausible.  Fighting a bear in particular sounded a little beyond what any filly could accomplish, but then again Twin Peaks never actually said she fought it off, just that she survived.  “Heh, a mare after my own heart,” Naj said, after a moment.

There was something Naj had to wonder about though.  “I am curious however,” she continued, “how does one use a talent like that in the middle of Stalliongrad?”  Not that she couldn't come up with answers, but it did seem a little unwieldy.  Sure there was enough wilderness around the city, but she could only imagine few ponies would spend much time out there, and fewer still who would need some sort of assistance in that regard.  Naj took another sip of her tea as she waited for an answer.

Twin Peaks tilted her head one way, then the other. "I find it is... A little less useful. Day to day, at least. But, I always know what to do in an emergency. Plus, I go camping at least every month."

Rose peeked into the room. "Which she takes me along. Getting away from it all helps with my writing sometimes. Super fun! Too many bugs though. Er, no offense? A-anyways, what she does, she runs a climbing wall in the mall."

"I have much experience climbing." Twin said as she nodded sagely. Rose Quill went back into the kitchen to finish putting the groceries away.

Twin Peaks confirmed that yes, there wasn't a lot of employment specifically relating to her special talent.  She went on to explain that she does go camping regularly, which prompted Rose to chime in with a lighthearted complaint.  Naj smiled as she shook her head waved a hoof, dismissing the idea that she'd be offended.  “None Taken.”  In her mind that would be like a pegasus getting offended because another pony said they didn't like pigeons, but she didn't feel the need to explain.

Naj didn't fully understand what they said next.  Apparently Peaks' employment was 'running a climbing wall', and Naj wasn't familiar with that particular piece of equipment.  “ 'Climbing wall'?” she said, almost instinctively, “what's that?”

Then she shook her head.  This was getting off topic, Naj was essentially here for Texty, so he could learn more about his 'heritage', such as it was.  “That aside, Texty.”  She looked at the other changeling.  “Did you have anything else you wanted to know?”  She looked in her tea cup this time, noticing that she was getting close to the bottom, before taking another sip.

"Honestly, I'm still reeling a bit. It's mostly your culture I want to learn about. But, from what I gathered... I don't know how much more you can tell me about that." Texty said. "I mean, I search throughout Equestria, looking for... Something. I meet new ponies, hear stories, study the town's history. It's good work, don't get me wrong, and I love doing it, I just... I haven't found 'me' yet."

"Do not worry so much, my little grubby, you make us proud every day." Twin said before wrapping her son in a big hug.

"OW! Ow! Tight!" Texty exclaimed, hoping that his chitin wouldn't crack.

Naj smield at the display, then frowned as she considered Texty's explanation of what he was looking for.  “Well, I'm sorry I couldn't be more help then.  If you do come up with any more questions, feel free to send them my way, and I'll answer as best I can.”  She was sure there was more she could tell Texty, but she wasn't sure what would really help.  And then, she'd become somewhat disillusioned with the 'traditional changeling approach' to things.  “If you're worried about finding 'you' though, just do what you love, or what you're interested in.  If that happens to be researching cultures, or changeling culture in particular then go for it!  But don't sweat the details.  You'll get a lot more from the search than you would from any particular minutiae you might find.”  Naj then grinned.  “Besides, above all else changelings are adaptable, so you know, do whatever you find works for you.”

Naj coughed once, looking between Texty and his parents, before finishing her tea.  “Er, if that's all you wanted to know for now, I think I'll get going, and leave you guys to it.”  Now that her apparent purpose for being here was complete, she felt like she was intruding into the family a little.  She didn't necessarily need to leave, but worried things would be awkward if she stuck around.  “If you have any more questions, feel free to send them my way, and I'll answer as best I can.”  She set her teacup down, and then stood up, though she did start moving just yet.

"No no, you've been very helpful!" Texty said with a wide smile. "Perhaps my true self does lie somewhere between Dusty and Texty. What I do know is that I'll continue my studies, as that passion will forever remain."

He sipped some more lemonade. "Regardless, I am quite glad to have met you. Perhaps we could be pen pals?" He suggested as Twin Peaks got off the couch and walked into the kitchen.

Naj smiled, though she didn't sit back down.  The meet seemed like it was winding down, and she expected to go soon once this one last detail was sorted out.  “Then I'm glad I could help, and it's good to hear you'll keep pressing forward.”

Then she smirked.    “We could write.  But why limit ourselves?  I usually swing by the courier office every weekday.  We could go for lunch, or drinks or something.  Feel free to swing by some time.”  She contemplated for a moment.  “I'll send you a letter when I get home though, get things started.”  Said letter would also include a return address of course, which would allow Texty to write back.

Naj turned to Rose Quill.  “Thank you for the tea, and,” she shifted a bit, looking between Rose and Peaks.  “And it was nice to meet you both.  We'll have to do it again sometime.  Talk to you later!”  And with that, everything seemed to be accounted for, and Naj started to walk towards the door.

"That sounds like a grand idea! I'll stick around here for a week, then I'm off towards Manehattan." Texty said. "I'll be sure to write once I get there, assuming I can get a transcriber. Shouldn't be too much trouble. Have a swell day!"

"It was good meeting you, deary!" Rose Quill said from the kitchen. "Don't be stranger!"

"Stranger than who?" Twin Peaks asked.

"It's an expression." Rose replied.

"I thought it was a stranger."

"But we already know her, she's not a stranger."

"But it's how the expression goes."

The bickering continued to go on. Texty shook his head. "Don't mind them, they do that all the time. I look forward to your letter."

Naj couldn't help a small giggle at Peaks and Rose's discussion, before looking back at Texty.  “I look forward to getting your letter too, and I'll try to reply as soon as I can.  Hopefully I'll see you in Stalliongrad again before too long!”

Then she looked at the parents once again.  “We should do this again sometime!  If nothing else, I should introduce you to my fiance!  I'm sure he'd be interested in meeting you two, as well as maybe seeing Texty again.”

Turning back towards the entrance, Naj waved one more time at the family.  “Farewell!”  And then she was out the door.

-End-

Archived