Diamond in the Rough [Closed: RoseDust]

Flooberoid

"I don't know why you dragged me out here today, sis..." Golden Dream grumbles, walking next to her older sister while keeping her head down to avoid eye contact with other ponies. "I shouldn't need to remind you that a shopping trip is NOT going to help us when we're already struggling financially."

Limelight simply laughs off her sister's worries. "Goldie, honey, it's precisely because of our problems that we need a day like this to just have fun!"

"That's a great sentiment, but not one that's going to keep our business afloat and you know it. Let's talk about the real reason you wanna goof off- you're allergic to hard work!" That said, Goldie's gazes over the street packed with ponies, noticing that her sister's mane and gait were turning many heads, and she started to crawl in her skin. Perhaps she was the one who was really allergic to something...

When a stallion approaches Limelight from the front, Goldie reflexively facehoofs. "Hi there. I noticed you, uh... walking." He starts nervously as Goldie rolls her eyes. "I like walking too... So... What's a pegasus doing in Canterlot on a boring day like this? Let alone one so p-pretty..." Limelight's mischievous smirk lays her intentions to tease this nervous stallion rather bare, and this is the moment when Goldie knows it's time to get away.

"You know what? I changed my mind! I love shopping! I want to do lots more of it... over here!" Her horn glows gold as a tuft of Limelight's mane is slowly levitated then jerked towards a nearby alley.

"Ow, ow, OW! Quit pulling! You spoilsport!" Limelight whines in protest as she's dragged away. When they're safely in the alley and Goldie can see that the stallion didn't follow, she lets her sister free. 

"Yeah, yeah. Why do I ever go anywhere with you? It's always trouble! Honestly, aren't you supposed to set an example for your younger siblings?" But Limelight isn't listening. Something's caught her eye, and she's entranced. That's another one of those signs Goldie's learned to pick up on growing up. And sure enough, Limelight takes off running seconds later. "HEY! Get back here!" Goldie screams and tries her best to keep up with the more agile and physically fit Limelight.

Limelight giggles gleefully, taunting her little sister. "What? You said you wanted to do lots of shopping over here! So what's the problem?" She runs until she reaches her destination, an adorable shop far off the beaten path. Upon bursting through the door (which as per usual immediately gets everypony's attention), she stops dead in her tracks. Goldie slams into her sister's rear end, unable to stop in time, but even this doesn't cause Limelight to flinch.

Another trance, which means... Goldie thinks to herself. A moment later, Limelight starts dashing around the room, tracking dirt in from outside and pressing her face against the display cases' glass. ...Another outburst. Just once I'd like to not be right. Please?

"Goldie! Goldie! Look! These... blue... thingies are dazzling, aren't they?? They'd look soooo cute on me!" She's pointing to a display of circlets and necklaces adorned with sapphire and aquamarine.

"Um, well, actually... In terms of color choice, I think a ruby or garnet would go better with your mane and coat..." She ponders then shakes her head vigorously. "Wait! Why am I even entertaining this?! We are not spending a single bit on pointless jewelery! Now let's go!

Limelight pouts. "Ruby? Are you crazy? That's it, we are not leaving until I hear a professional opinion! Ummm..." She looks around the room and her eyes fall upon a mare who looks like she probably works here. Why? Who knows? Limelight just has an intuition for these kinds of things.

...Either that, or she's completely just guessing. Well, luck or not, the particular pony she's now trotting towards is Strawberry Bell. "You there! Please, I implore you, introduce me to the proprietor of this fine establishment!" There she goes again. She must be truly serious now if she's trying out the fancy talk.

Goldie facehoofs, which there really should be a cider drinking game for if it weren't for the fact that there wouldn't be any cider left in Equestria for anypony else afterwards.

• Like 1

Rosedust Diamond looked up at the sound of what appeared to be a rather delighted catastrophy in the making. She had had a good morning thus far. The day had started nicely, breakfast had been delicious, she had grabbed a cup of tea for both herself and her employee on her way to the Emporium and Strawberry Bell had already opened shop and had been carefully counting out change for the counter when she had arrived.

She had said hello, left her her tea and then trotted on through to her studio in the back to work on her latest collection. There she had spent her time at her drafting table and had been drawing and humming to herself musically when the bell on the front door had gone off and suddenly...did it sound like...'proprietor of this fi'..? Oh dear, she couldn't really hear very well with the door shut.

Getting to her hooves, Rosedust nudged open the back door to peer around it. Framed almost perfectly by the gossamer curtains and strings of white-pink lights designed to make the Emporium look almost fairylike were two mares - a unicorn and a pegasus respectively, one of which looked like she wanted the ground to open up and swallow her immediately. Seeing that Strawberry Bell looked about as taken aback by the sudden outburst as anypony would be, Rosedust slipped into the store, using her back hoof to gently press the door closed behind her.

"Ahem," she cleared her throat, "please pardon me for interrupting but I thought that I heard that someone would like to speak with the proprietor? My name is Rosedust Diamond and I am the owner of the Grace of Hearts Gemstone Emporium. Can I help you at all?" Moving quietly around the other side of the counter to stand next to Strawberry Bell, Rosedust fixed the pair with her best 'customer smile'. She did not recognise either of them so it seemed unlikely that they were disgruntled customers or had had a bad experience.

Why, then, the demand for her attention? She was curious. Her usual clients were not so well animated and expressive, that was for certain.  

• Like 1

"Rosedust! Lovely name!" Limelight says in a singsong voice. She starts to move around the counter to speak to the unicorn more closely, but Goldie immediately bites down on her tail to stop her. Limelight huffs and lifts her muzzle in indignation. "So, Rose, dear... Do you think I'd look cuter with a sapphire or a ruby?!" Her eyes light up and seem to sparkle as she leans uncomfortably close to Rosedust's muzzle over the counter.

"Please, sister, at least pretend you have some more important reason for all this..." Goldie rolls her eyes and steps forward, using her front hoof to nudge Limelight aside. "I can't apologize enough for her. She gets excited over the silliest things sometimes..."

But, relentless as always, Limelight grins. "There's no reason to pretend this is important when really, it is! Where is my sketchbook?!" 

A skinny blue notebook with several multicolored and labeled tabs sticking out in all directions floats with a golden glow towards Limelight, who smiles. She points with a hoof to the spot on the counter right in front of Rosedust, where the book obligingly comes to rest. She then proceeds to nudge the book with her muzzle, opening it to a specific page. The title at the top reads 'Ballroom gown of Countess Crabapple, Act 3, Scene 1.' "See here? In this scene, the ball is secretly infiltrated by the wicked Countess Crabapple, a former pegasus turned Aerion who plans to devour the nobleponies' feast! This dress is her incognito, so it's meant to hide her wickedness by making her look beautiful, while also dropping hints of her true nature- see these dark colors, especially in the red trim by her wings? I must say, I thought it was genius." She beams with pride and stands tall.

"...But audiences didn't. They seemed about ready to fall asleep." Still, they're in too deep now to just walk away, so Goldie goes ahead and uses her magic to flip to the next page in the sketchbook. The drawings here are similar, but show a lighting arrangement that would highlight the gown.

Limelight is still smiling, but seems to be gritting her teeth a little bit. "...Which is exactly why we need to dazzle them this time! So I'm thinking it's time to accessorize! The right gemstones should be able to capture everypony's attention and let them know that this here is an important pony on stage!"

"Though after seeing your new costume designs I'm starting to wonder if by 'dazzle them' you might have meant 'blind them.'" She flips the page once more to reveal a page titled 'Dazzling designs for dastardly devils!' The page features Countess Crabapple in similar gowns to the one seen previously, with one big difference: Every inch of them is covered with eclectic and jumbled gemstones. "As you can see, we need a discerning eye... and no matter if I protest I presume my charmer of a sister is about to offer good money." 

Both Strawberry Bell and Rosedust Diamond were a little lost for words as the pair of mares traded words back and forth enthusiastically. It was a little hard to keep track of at first, but the aid of pictures certainly helped until finally Rosedust managed to figure out exactly what they were asking her for. "Oh!" She said suddenly, almost running afoul of interrupting. "You are speaking of the theatre? How lovely, it sounds very exciting. I have not been myself in quite a long time."

She smiled gently at the sisters, eyes scanning over the pages as they were flipped back and forth until Strawberry Bell coughed casually to get her attention. The bell at the door to the Emporium chimed again and the earth pony practically pranced off around to greet the new customer, glad to get away. Knowing that the main storefront probably wasn't the best place for this kind of business arrangement, the unicorn nodded over her shoulder at the door she had originally come out of. Sequestering them all away would let Strawberry get on with her work and hopefully make a sale or two in her absence.

"Why don't you two join me in my studio for a cup of tea and a slice of cake? It would be my pleasure to discuss this with you in a more relaxing setting where we can all sit down for a spell." Came the offer. She waited just a moment before bowing her head at Limelight and Goldie and then glided away, the handle of her studio entrance glowing mint green as she used her magic to open it and gestured for them to go through.

Her studio was a little cramped for three ponies perhaps, but with a little of the same enchantment Rosedust rearranged some of her displays quickly, tucked away her tools and loose gemstones and found a silver tray lurking at the back which would serve for snacks. "Now you both make yourself comfortable, I will be right with you. Oh!"

Having forgotton that the sisters would need somewhere to sit, she turned about-face and knocked a couple of cushions onto the floor from a high shelf. "Perfect! So, what did you have in mind?"   

Glad for the opportunity to get out of the public eye after Limelight's nonsense, Goldie happily follows the unicorn to her studio. For Limelight, though, walking away from all the beautiful jewelry in the main room is a mental struggle she can only overcome when she realizes her sister is glaring back at her. Both of the lanky mares find it awkward to get comfortable upon the cushions on the floor, but each eventually settle down well enough. Upon hearing Rosedust's question, Goldie returns a question of her own. "You mentioned previously that you haven't been to the theater in 'quite a long time.' In that case, have you heard of the new theater that opened up a few moons ago?" She had judged this pony as one who didn't tend to get out much, so she expected the answer would be 'no.' "It's called the New Dawn Theater? Well, in any case, my sister and I are the owners, even if it does seem like I do all the work."

Limelight scowls at this and her tail swishes in annoyance. "You act as though being the public face of the theater isn't work enough, sister! You know we'd be long gone without me to scout talent and fill seats!" In a few moments her scowl changes to a solemn frown and she looks down, locks of her mane falling in her face. "Although I have to admit, I'm not bringing in the numbers I'd like lately..."

Goldie extends her front hoof to rest gently on Limelight's back to comfort her. It was rare for the cheery pegasus to lose her optimism no matter how much the two of them bickered. Sometimes she had to understand that the burden of hope could be shared. "That's why we- why my sister, rather- wanted to meet with you. It was her bright idea to try and enhance our sets and costumes to stand out and bring in audiences." Limelight looks up slightly and gives her sister a suspicious sidelong glance. "No sarcasm, I promise! It really is a bright idea!" Goldie frantically clarifies, and Limelight can't help but crack a smile and a tiny giggle.

Rosedust busied herself for the first half of the conversation with delivering on tea and cake. Then, when the silver tray was neatly set into the middle of the room so that every pony had ease of access, she settled down herself to listen properly. She had not heard of the New Dawn Theatre, although she wondered if her parents might have in their retirement.

As they came to a close with their explanation, Rosedust took a few moments to slowly chew through the barrage of information, crossing her front hooves and concentrating so that she could filter it down.

"Costume jewellery," she said after a short silence, "is very different to most other types of jewellery. It has to be big and bold so that it can be seen from stage and enhance the performers without being uncomfortable and easy to take on and off for costume changes. It needs to be durable, so that it can withstand multiple uses per week, and also perhaps for resale later."

This seemed to be more for her own benefit than anything else and eventually her gaze returned to her clients with a blink as she realised that she might have let her own thoughts carry her away from present company.

"I would love to help you two, although I must ask - what is your budget?"

"Uhhhh... Yeah, Goldie, what's our budget?" Limelight gives a sweet and innocent, though plainly fake, smile and occupies herself with a slice of cake in the meantime.

Goldie sighs. "Well... we don't exactly have one at the moment..." she admits. "But we come from a rich family! If you could show us a sample of your work, I'm sure we could borrow, say, a few hundred bits for a small collection for the show?" She tries to downplay the paltry total as if saying it with a smile would make the offer any less insulting. She shrinks down in her seat, embarrassed and beginning to wish they'd never come here.

Just when she can see she's needed, Limelight chimes in once more. "Of course, if the show goes well I'm sure we could auction off the costumes to collectors! You would certainly be entitled to your share of the profits, miss Rose." Hopefully the jeweler is the gambling type.

She did feel for them, really she did. Not everyone was as lucky as her when it came to funding. But as much as she wanted to Rosedust knew that she couldn't just throw bits away at the promise of future profits. Her left ear flit as she thought through her options and she glanced at the sketchbook again. "The Emporium here is all my own work if you would like to look at the displays, and Strawberry Bell has a photo album behind the counter of past collections too," she said slowly, "but if I might make a suggestion?"

She paused for a moment to take a sip of tea and collect how she wanted to phrase herself. "When I was first starting out here I had a hard time getting people through my doors. I am a little hidden away down here, so it was not obvious that I existed. What I did to drum up some interest was that I had Strawberry Bell model some pieces for me and walk through town. People stopped and asked her where she had bought her jewellery and she gave out leaflets with my location on."

Once more, another sip.

"The gown for your villain...if you could come up with a sum and you redesigned it to be a little more streamlined I could most certainly contribute a matching set of accessories to really make it sparkle and catch the eye. Then perhaps you could do the same? When the costume is completed I am sure the residents of Canterlot would love to meet the character in the street. You could do some improvisational acting? And then with the proceeds of the ticket sales, commission more."

"Will that really work? Because it sounds like a lot of fun!" Limelight claps her hooves.

"It does seem right up your alley..." Goldie nods, the gears in her head turning rapidly as she plans out the event. "Very well, I'll leave it to you. There's an outdoor cafe across the street that would be great for the scene I have in mind. Meanwhile, I'll watch and make sure everything goes smoothly for you."

Limelight smirks in an eerily similar way to how she smiled at that stallion on the street earlier. "Goldie, dear, if I'm performing, I can't break character for a second. Which means..." She points a hoof at Goldie's chest suddenly, surprising her. "YOU will have to advertise the theater! At least pass out our flyer, yes?"

Goldie immediately blushes and stands straight up. "M-Me?! Limelight, I think you're getting into this villain character a little early, don't you?" She looks to Rosedust for support, but upon looking at the mare she remembers why they're doing this in the first place. The theater needs this deal to be a success. "F-Fine, if I absolutely must, I'll do it!" She is immediately toppled by an enthusiastic leap-hug from the older pegasus.