[Northern Solstice Heights] A Fresh Start

NeonVictorian

"And your family?" Silversword asked, hoping she wasn't being nosy. She trotted up to the lake and bent her head, taking a long drink.

"I hope you don't mind, but I'm hungry," she said, rummaging in her saddlebags, which rewarded her with celery.

With a hearty crunch, she bit into it and sat down, looking at Quasar.

"You can continue your story," she muttered encouragingly as she ate.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quasar sat down and watched her a little, still smiling slightly.

He didn't know why, but he felt comfortable telling her more.

"My, Mum lived back in the Solstice Heights..." he continued, "and... that's kinda the only... family there is to talk about..."

He looked across the water, trying to concentrate on it to let his mind calm.

He looked back, giggling roughly, and added, "I hope I'm not being a bore.."

"Didn't you ever get lonely?" Silversword asked, listening to him giggle.

Chewing into her celery, she wondered why this pony would think he was being boring?

No, he seemed clever enough to talk to, and he wasn't loud and brash like someponies she knew.

"No, no, you're not being a bore. So. What will you do now that you're away from home?" she wiped her muzzle with a hoof and proceeded to eat a carrot.

She was rather hungry.

It's a big world, she thought. And dangerous, too.

He winced a little hearing that, realized that he did. A lot.

He nodded slowly, trying not to think about that feeling.

Instead he changed his attention, again, to her questions.

"I'm really not sure. I, was hoping I'd figure out along the road some time." He said, realizing he hadn't thought that far ahead yet.

Noticing her still eating drew his attention to his own hunger. He reached inside his back and pulled out one of the apples she gave him, smiling a lot at the thought about it. He scooted over, to sit a bit closer to her, and broke a piece away from the apple, offering it to her.

"You know, you're quite agreeable to talk to. I can't stand half the ponies I meet." she murmured, listening to him.

She understood the feeling of loneliness.

Being an only foal was tough at times, and her father was often working.

"I could try to help you. I know the areas past the lakes," she said quietly, accepting the slice he offered with a gentle word of thanks.

"I.... am?" he asked, a bit confused. If she didn't like so many other ponies, why would he be so different to her?

He smiled at her offer, realizing how much he'd like that.

Although he had only met her, he felt this was the closest he had to a friend since several years

"Are you sure, that wouldn't be a hassle? If you're a busy pony I can go anytime." He said with a smile.

"Yes. I don't lie," she said, a half-smile on her muzzle.

She wondered how he felt about the world outside of Solstice Heights so far?

"And because you're clever, and not a blabbermouth," she said, chuckling.

Hearing his offer, she shook her head, her fiery eyes upon him as she chewed her apple slice.

"It's my job to help. And I would like to," she reminded him cheerfully.

Or rather, as cheerful as Silversword could be.

Quasar smiled more. He sat there for a moment, wondering what was on her mind, and giggling along with her comments.

He grinned a bit as she took the piece of apple, before tossing another piece in his own mouth. He wanted to say thank you again but instead smiled, and kept chewing.

"I'd.... like that..." he said with a smile, "...alot."

He sat up, feeling more and more comfortable around her with each moment.

"I haven't decided yet," he said, less timid than usual, "I've thought about Canterlot a bit, and I would like to see more of central Equestria... but I'm just not sure yet..."

He looked to her with a puzzled and curious expression-

"Whats Manehattan like?" he asked, wondering if it might be good to visit?

"Canterlot is a good place to start," she said, offering her thoughts.

"The ponies there are nice. Helpful, if you need something," she added.

Thinking back on Manehatten, a slight frown crossed her features.

"It's crowded. Depending where you live, knowing how to fight is a necessary thing. If you go to the downtown district, it's pretty classy."

Quasar realized she didn't enjoy talking about it, and quickly silenced himself.

He wondered if there was anything he could help her with, but decided for right now it would be best to stay quiet.

He redirected himself to what she said first, then asked- almost repetitively, "So, Canterlot is first on the list?"

He smiled and stumbled out, "You know... you remind me of an old friend..."

After saying that, he paused, and with a slight frown thought about what he just said, "Friend?" It gave him a longing feeling saying that word again.

He missed his friend from the past and realized he didn't have anyone to call by that now.

He smiled and looked back up, hoping to hide everything on his mind.

Silversword had been looking down at her hooves, her frown deepening a bit.

When she heard his voice, she looked up, and her expression softened a bit.

"Yes. You can find maps of all of Equestria there." she said, a slight smile on her face.

She laid her head on her hooves, slightly tired.

"I am glad to hear that," she said, her usually lukewarm smile becoming more genuine.

"Not many ponies would befriend me. Would you like to rest for a bit? It's a long trot from here to Canterlot."

Quasar mumbled out, a bit tired himself, "Sure, I could use that."

He looked up again, still smiling. He wanted to ask what was on her mind but decided to stay quiet again.

He took off his bags and curled up on the ground beside her still talking, "I don't see why though, you seem like a really nice pony to have as one..."

He yawned softly and leaned his head down a but, still keeping his relaxed smile.

Silversword yawned widely, arching her back like a cat as her wings shuffled.

"I don't like to converse with many ponies. But I like to help," she said, a slight smile on her muzzle.

"You can rest now. Don't worry, nopony would attack a guardpony," she added reassuringly, tucking her hooves into her body and laying her head.

It hadn't been a long time since she'd gone to Canterlot, so the path would be in her memory.

"Anytime," she said quietly, eyes still closed.

Silversword drowsed off, knowing that the colt would have a better chance of finding what he wanted if he went to Canterlot.

Someone was bound to be able to help there!

She knew it!

After a few minutes of relaxing, Quasar picked his head back up.

He was a little tired, but not tired enough to nap just yet.

He glanced up to Silversword, and smiled a bit.

With that he trotted to the edge of the water and slowly submerged his front hooves in the lake.

The water was calm and relaxing, and he enjoyed it greatly. With that, he continued trotting forward, slowly submerging himself until nothing was out of the water save his head.

He was filled with an overwhelming feeling of freedom. It gave him peace in his mind, and he heard his own voice inside his head,

"You've made a good choice..."

He smiled, and returned to enjoying the water.

Silversword had fallen into restless sleep, tossing and turning.

She dreamed of the crowded streets of Manehatten, and as she trotted, she saw the shadowy figure of a colt.

Wait up, she thought, but it cantered away.

She sped up to reach it, and when she did, it broke into a gallop.

She chased after it, her wings pumping, until she realized she was flying.

She never flew. Not if she could help it. She would glide sometimes, but flying? Out of the question.

Quasar noticed his acquaintance tossing in her sleep.

Without any further thought he got out of the water and got closer to her.

It puzzled him a bit- wondering what was on her mind, but regardless of what it was, he didn't want to let it keep bothering her.

He leaned closer, and pushed his still wet nose against the edge of her front hoof, wanting to wake her from what seemed to be troubling her.

He paused for a moment and spoke, barely over a whisper, "S...Silversword?"

It not being enough, he lowered his muzzle, nudged a bit firmer to her hoof, and repeated himself, a bit louder this time.

"Silversword? Are you alright?"

In the dream, she was flying, but now she wasn't in Manehatten.

Silversword was at the lakes again. As she went up to reach one of the higher clouds, to finally feel one, to test her hooves on it..

Her wings snapped shut, and she hurtled to the ground, spinning uncontrollably.

Fear of falling. The thought floated around her, as she fell.

Splash. She'd landed in the lakes, she could feel it. Feeling a tap on her hoof, she lashed out a bit, gently as if to ward whatever was touching her off.

"Silversword? Are you alright?" something called to her, pulling her from the dream.

Silversword woke up then, rubbing her eyes with a hoof. There was something on her other hoof.. She opened her eyes. It was a muzzle.

Quasars' muzzle. "Oh.. sorry. I must have drifted off," she told the colt apologetically.

He looked up a little, keeping his muzzle where it was.

"It's alright... I'm sorry for waking you," he said, keeping his smile hoping it would calm her even in the slightest.

"You looked like something was bothering you... I... wanted to make sure you were alright." he continued.

Quasar nudged her hoof one last time, hoping to help the transition from sleeping to being awake and alert again, and then slowly back off.

"Is there anything on your mind? That you'd like to talk about?" he asked, keeping his smile hoping to reassure her.

Silversword was slightly pale, still a bit unnerved about her dream.

She didn't want to show that the dream had bothered her though, but it did.

"S'okay," she slurred sleepy.

"I'm okay." she added, shaking her head a bit to wake her.

Her hooves wobbled a bit as she stood, her wings unfurled slowly, and she preened, as birds did.

"I dreamt that I was flying. And then I fell into the lakes." she said, nodding her head at them.

She looked away from him, embarrassed that a dream could unnerve her so much.

"I apologize. It doesn't happen often."

Quasar smiled to her, and hoping he wasn't being annoying, and asked one more time with a smile, "Are you sure?"

He giggled for a moment, and without thinking about it tried to lighten the mood, joking about it.

"Well, It'd be a fine day to fall in the lakes," he said with a slighty laugh, remarking his damp pelt.

"The water is great today..."

With that, he softly started beating his wings until he came to a slight hover, and drifted back above the surface of the shallow water. He smiled to her and dropped into the water making a small splash. After a short moment, he poked his head out of the water and directed a big smile to her.

"And... there's nothing to apologize for, you've done no wrong," he continued, "...I promise."

Silversword held her tongue and nodded.

No use worrying the colt with stories. He didn't have to know that she couldn't fly.

She wouldn't lie if asked, though.

"You like swimming?" she inquired, watching him. He flew into the lake.

She panicked for a moment until he resurfaced.

"I worried you. So, I apologize," she added.