Evening Banquet (ENDED)

RarityDash

Lola tapped a claw against her beak thoughtfully. "Well, 240 hours in the lab is good, if you're that far it probably merits some further stress-testing. But in the field, this thing is going to be going through rigors you might never see in testing. A storm could cause an electrical surge with unpredictable results, setting off anything explosive. Turbulence can cause a lot of vibration that could also cause issues. Not to mention that most airship tours last far more than 10 days, often they'll be traveling for months."

She waved a talon at the blueprints. "Oh no, I'd prefer not to have a copy of the blueprints lying around. While I would of course never wish to steal your ideas, I do have competitors in Talonopolis who would not be so sporting, and it would be to my own detriment as well as yours if you were to fall victim to industrial espionage."

An idea struck her. "Ah, I tell you what I can do, however. Since you're working on testing, I could ship over one of our old prototypes. It's quite small, little more a balloon with an engine and a cockpit, but it would give you the opportunity to test out your drive in real working conditions. You may need to enlist some pegasi to test inclement weather conditions, too, remember that in Aquelia the weather doesn't follow our management." She winked at the last comment.

Rivet nodded with a smile at Snowfall when she was presented with the mare's card. After examining it for a moment she stuck it in one of the tiny compartments that her saddle was full of as she listened to Snowfall finish speaking and Lola pick up. 'Oh yes I have to make up instructions for the people to work on it. How could I forget these simple things. Sometimes Rivet your mind just glances over the simple things. Make sure to remember this!' Her mind scolded its self as she made a note of it with her typewriter. At Lola's next concern Rivet tried to keep a straight face as her edges of her lips twitched into a vague smile. 'Oh my! Explode from a power surge?! I didn't know that steam engines could do that? Well I suppose if it is magical exploding lightning it could? Right? Maybe there are different types of lightning storms over in Aquellia. OH ball lighting maybe! Nopony knows how that stuff works!' Within Rivets mind there was uncontrollable giggling, but after years of practice only the vague smile remained on her face. Being polite and cordial was the correct thing to do after all, these two were offering her the deal of a lifetime, laughing at one of them would most likely not go over very well. Rivet nodded and smiled more as Lola offered her a 'Balloon' for testing purposes, 'Be polite Rivet, she may not have your expertise remember this. Not everyone is a Steam Engineer.'

The typewriter sprang to life yet again with another note for the pair. "Your concerns valid, yes forgot to whip up instruction manual, sometimes forget simple things, mind is so many places at once. Lightning can be grounded against, nothing explosive in engine. Thank you very much, prototype might be useful. You have card, just post me or stop by any time. Give tour and talk about future!"

With a big smile Rivet wrapped up the blueprints and put it back into its hiding spot. This night had gone much better than expected and she was very pleased with the outcome. 'Maybe I should get out more...' she pondered for a moment before her mind wandered back to her home and the stallion staying in it, sleeping on her bed with dirty hooves, moving piles of important parts, looking though her diagrams and personal effects. She shivered a little as all these images passed though her mind.

• Like 1

Snowfall nodded and smiled as she read the latest tape from Rivet's typewriter.

"Excellent!" she declared. "I'm actually planning on heading south for business in Manehatten late next month. It would be a simple task to swing by Hoofington while I'm in the area." Snow laughed and gave another excited nod. "I would be most pleased to take this tour of yours and iron out the rest of the details then."

Snowfall closed her eyes and gave a satisfied smirk. She had made a new friend and one that could prove valuable to NSI at that. Excellent. She was sure her father would be proud to see her then. Maybe. Maybe not. Once he made it to the top, the great Northern Storm had seldom looked down. Snow wondered if he'd have ever even noticed a potential partner like Rivet or if he'd have deemed her too small to bother with. Maybe her father would see this scene and scold her for spending so much time on a pony nopony had ever heard of like Rivet when someone like Lola Silverbeak was standing beside her. Snow wasn't really sure, she just knew it felt like she was doing something right, and that was good enough for her.

"Here's to a bright future working together," Snow said, still smiling.

Lola's discerning eye caught Rivet's misgivings even before she had a chance to read the note. "Oh don't worry, dear," she said dismissively. "I'm merely being through. I'm not saying those are likely to happen with this design, they're mere examples. If you knew what problems to actually expect, you wouldn't be testing, you'd be reworking the designs already."

She smiled. She was far too self-assured to second guess her use of the time spent socializing. The whole point of this sort of soirée was to establish connections. While Rivet may have steered the topic of conversation away from NSI, any actual business deals with Snowfall could be handled later. Indeed, watching Snowfall's reactions to Rivet had probably been more enlightening than simply speaking to Snowfall directly. She now knew that she could trust NSI professionally, as Snowfall's conduct had been impeccable. Perhaps that was a matter of course for pony companies, but among griffins, such trustworthiness was a high mark.

"As for Hoofington, I regret it is unlikely that I will have cause to go down there again personally for some time. I will of course, send a representative, and you may see a few of my ships come by if their routes take them in the area, but between my ongoing research in Canterlot, trying to manage our R&D department back home in Talonopolis, and keeping up with my increasing familial responsibilities, I am generally quite swamped. my appologies."

Rivet happily pranced in place for a moment when she heard that Snowfall would stop by her home and workshop sometime in the future, 'This is going perfectly!!! ... Stop prancing you look like a foal.' She mentally chastised herself. After halting in her place and looking bashfully at the floor for a moment, reflecting upon her silly foal like behavior. Her ears pricked at Lola speaking, 'She seems rather sure of herself, maybe if she were to visit me I could set her misconceptions straight. Live steam really isn't all that dangerous when handled with the proper precautions and procedures. Especially with the new grounding systems that the newer model airships have. OH, that reminds me I should go visit the Ostrov District while I am still here. I would love to see some of the bigger models.' Was the thought that resonated through Rivet's mind at that moment, even though she tended to get lost in her own mind.Everyone seemed so contemplative at the moment, it looked as though Snowfall was lost in thought, and Lola was looking rather confidently at Rivet and Snowfall both. The universe froze in Rivet's mind, and zoomed in all around her. She had been the center of conversation and blathering on like some sort of ego maniac. This made her feel very vulnerable, especially since she was not in her element, not covered in her protective layer of grease and grime. She felt as though everypony was watching her and critiquing her every motion. Shrinking slightly due to her current feelings of uneasiness she just wanted to go home.

Thankfully Snowfall broke the silence with a toast, 'Thank you so much Snowfall.' Rivet thought with a sheepish smile on her face. A faintly blue martini glass was levitated up into the air with a light green sparkle that was Rivet's magic. Rivet did her best to contribute to the toast as her typewriter clicked out a response,

"May the fires not have to be stoked this evening!" The paper read. It was not much, but it was all that Rivet had to offer at the moment, it had been a long day for her. First the outing to the new city, then this party, along with meeting the CEO of NSI, and Lola Silverbeak. Rivet let out a little yawn, the evening seemed to be drawing on.

"I'm sorry, long day, didn't mean to yawn." The typewriter hastily tapped out to cover up her faux pas, hopefully her host and Lola would be forgiving of her rudeness.

Snow gave a soft laugh and nodded as she read the next set of tapes Rivet presented to her.

"It's quite alright, Rivet," she said in a soft voice. She took a sip of the drink she was having and smiled. "As pleasurable as it had been, this discussion of ours has been going on for quite some time now, after all."

The snowy white pegasus gave another short nod at the unicorn. "Though I do suppose we have reached a suitable close for today."

Snow looked at Lola after that. "My. It sounds like you have a rather lot on your plate, Miss Silverbeak," she commented in an even voice. She could sort of relate. She didn't have much in the way of familial concerns since leads on her father's whereabouts had long dried up, and from the sound of it Lola was a lot more hands on with her work. Still, running NSI could often be daunting. She often didn't have the time she wished she did.

Lola chucked at Rivet's apology for yawning. "It's quite alright. You know, I'm rather surprised at this little soire. Generally, events like this in Talonopolis tend to be extremely elitist. You wouldn't see anyone... well, anyone like you, Miss Rivet, to be perfectly frank. I mean no offense, of course, to either of you. Opening up the banquet to all sorts is brilliant, it lets you find possible business associates who otherwise may have gone unnoticed. Quite a savvy move, and progressive too. I like that. I look forward to doing business with both of you."

She shrugged in response to Snowfall's last comment. "Such is the price of success, I'm sure you're no stranger to it. Especially since your father..." She paused. "Oh dear, excuse me, I don't wish to steer the conversation into potentially turbulent subjects." Lola had heard of Northern Storm's disappearance of course, and she wasn't sure how well Snowfall had dealt with it. Bringing it up had not actually been an accident, of course. It was a subtle test of Snowfall's composure, with a little genuine curiosity mixed in.

Rivet took the drink to her lips and downed it in one go, although that was not the accepted method for one to drink whatever faintly glowing blue liquor that she had imbibed. 'Apparently there is one advantage to that Inter-engine fermentation contraption that I thought up. This is noting compared to that sludge.' Rivet thought slapping her lips together slightly as the strange flavour of the liquid swirled down her throat. Hopefully this would be enough to take the edge off of the situation, Rivet was not one to like being in the spot light, and having just realized a few moments prior that she had been jabbering all night, she felt very self conscious and longed for her grease and grime. Thankfully the conversation had segued away from the topic of her and her inventions and over to Snowfall and the loss of her father.

Rivet was not up on all the goings on of the world around her, nor the state of most affairs that extended past her light house, let alone past the edge of Hoofington. The inner machinations of a multi-cultural corporation that was headquartered in a city so far away from her own was out of Rivet's purview. Trying not to be rude Rivet took a seat gingerly on a nearby chair and listened it, scouting the near by table for another glowing frilly drink. 'Where is that server pony, maybe I could get him to bring something stronger.' She mused to herself.

The two leaders of industry were having an interesting conversation it seemed, at least interesting enough to hold their attention away from Rivet who was pleased with this. She kept to herself through the conversation, deciding it was best to listen than interject. Obviously there were undercurrents here that she cold not comprehend so her kept her nose out of it. Her mind again drifted first to the massive ships that were most likely docked in the Ostrov district for the night, and how she could sneak on to see their engines and boilers. Then her mind drifted back to her light house in Hoofington and the stallion now occupying it. Again she imagined him rifling through her personal effects, messing up the order of her parts in their bins. The longing for that drab stallion to be out of her home kept her mind there for longer than it should have been. 'Staring off into space is not something proper ponies do now is it you silly filly. Now pay attention to the others and act more politely.' Scolding herself yet again Rivet smiled and nodded trying to keep up but looking a bit lost in the process.

Just as it seemed that the party was winding down, there was a knock at the large door that lead into the party. Without waiting for anypony to get the door, a small dragon in formal attire entered the room, clutching a letter in his hand. Going about the party, he looked for the evening's hostess, as the note he had was of great importance to the pony that had sent it.

The soiree was impressive, and he would make sure to include the details in the return letter that Maximilian expected from him. He navigated his way through the crowd, grabbing one or two hoer-d'ouvres for himself, as a reward for his hard work. Finally the dragon was able to spot his target across the room, and the small messenger ran up to Snow and bowed.

"Message for the party, Madame. It's from A Mister Maximilian Rockefilly Jr. He would be most gracious if it were to be read aloud to the guests." Still bowing, the dragon waited patiently for an answer as he handed out the letter with Snowfall written on the envelope.

"It's quite alright. It's been a long time since he's been gone," said Snow with a nod toward Lola. "I've long since grown accustomed to life without his presence. As strict a stallion as he was, its actually a lot easier in a lot of ways..." Snowfall gave a sigh. "Even if it would be a lie to say I didn't still miss him."

"He was far more of a traditionalist than I. He climbed his way to the top from nothing, but rarely was he the type to look back down," Snow said in a slow voice. "This banquet you praised... with its openness... I really don't know if he'd even approve of such a thing." Snow gave a weak laugh and shook her head. "On second thought, open or not, he considered all social events like this as something frivolous..."

Snowfall gave another long sigh. Then, suddenly a dragon entered the hall and presented a message to her. She was bit shocked really, but took the message cautiously.

"Rockerfilly, eh?" she started, her ears piquing at the name. it was an important name. It had definitely been on her list. She had never met the pony attached to it though. "The name is well known to me, but I don't believe we've met..."

Slowly Snow opened the letter and proceeded to give it a read. She frowned a little. "He really intends me to use this banquet as a stage to promote a project of his without even being here himself..." she said, not sure she was crazy about such things.

"Permanently connect Stalliongrad to the farthest reaches of the world..." Snowfall repeated the stand out phrase from the letter, her mind racing at just what that could mean. Maybe this was worth her time after all.

Still a little unsure, the pegasus turned to Lola. "He mentions you by name," she said extending the letter toward the griffon. "What do you think of this? Is it worth my time to announce this to my guests?"

Lola smiled. Snowfall's reaction had been immaculate, showing both poise and maturity. "I can assure you, social events like this are not frivolous. They are vital to building and maintaining contacts within the industry. I'm sure your father knew as much."

She watched impassively as the dragon gave Snowfall the letter. "Using your banquet to further his own goals," she snickered softly. "That does sound like a Rockefilly." She accepted and read the letter herself before making any other comments.

"Hm... well, I've heard of Maximilian Jr., but I've not seen much information on his business practices. If he's anything like his father, though, he's a pony to use caution around. Still... permanent connections between Rockwington and Stalliongrad." She considered for a moment, recalling the current trade routes and roads. There was only one reason for a trade route to connect to Rockwington over Talonopolis, and this Rockefilly was clearly looking to profiteer off it. He'd even given as much away by mentioning Appleloosa in the message, the obvious city to bridge the gap.

She smiled smugly, coming to a conclusion. "I think you can trust his intentions for now, but be careful giving him too much authority over your resources. If you want to read the letter to the crowd, you should do so personally. Make sure everyone knows you're still in charge. And when he does show up... well, be very careful not to show weakness around him. If played right, however, this could be greatly beneficial to all of us."

She passed the letter back to Snowfall. "Either way, it's your decision." And either way, Lola was definitely going to be sticking around Stalliongrad a bit longer than she'd planned, in order to see what the Rockefilly had to say.

"Father understood the purpose of these things, but he didn't care for the pageantry of such things; he hardly deemed them worthy of much of his time," Snow explained in a low voice.

Assessing what Lola said, she nodded multiple times. "A sharp assessment, I think. Very similar to my own thoughts on the matter."

Snow smiled and nodded. "Rockerfilly does seem to have a powerful idea at hoof here," she said in a low voice. "An idea that can only be beneficial to those who get involved."

The pegasus gave a small laugh. "Of course, that's why there really is no choice here regardless."

She gave a steady nod over in Rivet's direction, before looking back at Lola. "Rockerfilly sent this letter, but surely he doesn't know quite know the details of who I invited here. I expect his expectation is that I would be passing his message on to a far more exclusive crowd." Snow shook her head. "Which is why I must read this. This project sounds as if it could prove a valuable opportunity for any pony who chooses to get involved. For some ponies here, such opportunities are far rarer than they are for you or I."

"This could prove just the sort of break a lot of these ponies need," Snow said with a smile. "I'm not sure of Rockerfilly's intentions, but I think there is far more good to be done in reading this than not."

Lola gave a sly grin. Snowfall was definitely going to be interesting to do business with. "Well in that case I shall let you go, perhaps mingle a bit more, see who else interesting I may find in the crowd." Lola gave a respectful nod of her head. "Miss Snowfall, Miss Rivet, it has been a pleasure, and I shall certainly be in touch. Farewell to you both."

With that, Lola strode off to speak to some of the other guests, keeping a watchful eye out for Snowfall's announcement. Though her reading it aloud was a given, Lola was still somewhat interested in how Snowfall would frame the announcement.

The dragon grabbed a pastry from his plate loaded high with desserts and looked around for more to munch on. His hungry nature was interrupted as he remembered his job, he was supposed to note how the letter was received, and write a detailed report for Maximilian. Pulling out Quill and paper, the small dragon took up position at the head of the crowd, making himself obvious.

His boss had stated specifically what to look out for, but the dragon wasn't sure if he'd be able to note... He checked his notes... 'biting sarcasm'. The messenger simply shrugged and stretched his hand before getting ready to dictate a note to his boss.

"It has been a true pleasure, Miss Silverbeak. I do thank you for your time," said Snowfall with a warm smile as the other gave her parting words.

Snow moved back toward her podium, letter in hand. She'd talk with more of her guests, but first she was going to spread this Mr. Rockerfilly's message.

As she looked out at the crowd, she wondered if this was what her father would have done in the case. This move was more to Rockerfilly's benefit than hers. His company was set to rake in the profit. With so many guests, with their wealth, skills and resources here, NSI might be in increased competition for profits should she go along with Rockerfilly's scheme.

In her head she was her father snorting as he'd read the letter, pocketing it and showing up to Rockerfilly's meeting alone. He's strong-hoof his way into the deal, make it a full partnership and split the profits squarely between Rockerfilly and himself. That was how he did business. That was how NSI had reached prosperity.

Yet still she couldn't bring herself to do something like that. Not with ponies like Rivet here. For some this might be a chance of a lifetime.

"Excuse me, guests, if I may borrow another moment of your time," Snow started from her podium to quiet the crowd. "Somepony many of you may know, the illustrious Maximilian Rockerfilly awards us with these fine words which he has asked I read aloud to all those present here this evening:"

After a small cough to clear her throat, Snowfall began to narrate the letter exactly as written, "To the esteemed and respected ponies and gryphons present,

"I, Maximilian Rockefilly Jr, would first of all like to extend the warmest and most sincere congratulations to Northern Storm industries on the anniversary of their founding and 34 years of stellar progress and contributions to the world at large. Also, I give humble greetings to the others present, such as Lola Silverbeak and the rest of the business gryphons and ponies that have fortuitously gathered here today.

"I apologize for not being there myself to congratulate you, Miss Snowfall, but I assure you that the reason for my absence will more than make up for it. I have been in Appleoosa for the last week, working on a project I believe everyone present will have an interest in. It will require the finest minds the world has to offer, and I know that this gathering, tonight, is a rare opportunity that could not be passed up.

"I will not interrupt your festivities much longer, and I shall make my point post haste. Any one interested in a project that will permanently connect Stalliongrad to the farthest reaches of the world, and even to Rockwington, please meet me here in Stalliongrad in a week's time.

"This project will open lines of trade and also create bonds of friendship and cooperation between our nations. I hope to tell you more in person when I make my visit.

"Let me end by once again congratulating you, Northern Storm Industries, on 34 years of progress and achievement. Let us hope it continues on for many more.

"Farewell and congratulations,

"Maximilian Rockefilly Jr"

Snow gave a nod as she finished reading the letter. After reading it, she felt strangely satisfied. "Mister Rockerfilly's words are very much appreciated, and NSI thanks him for sending them so everyone here might hear them," The pegasus nodded. "Thank you all for you're time. May you all continue to enjoy your evening."

That accomplished, Snow went to mingle with some more guests.

The small dragon was furiously jotting down notes, pausing every few moments to grab yet another pastry and scarf it down. He had a lot to tell his boss, all of it was good news, and he was certain to get a raise from this. The messenger continued writing, hoping to get the letter out as soon as possible. Mere minutes after the letter had been read, a new one had been sent, the blast of flame erupting in the middle of the room as the paper was instantly sent out to Appleoosa and the expectant stallion waiting for it.

As soon as it was sent, the dragon ran up to Silver and promptly informed her. "Mister Rockefilly will be here in two days, the meeting will be here..." He passed her a small note with an address located in one of the less popular sections of Stalliongrad. "He suggests you bring whomever you wish, all are welcome."

Having completed his job, the dragon took a moment to grab some more snacks before leaving through the main doors. He was tired, and the next few days probably wouldn't be that fun, but fun isn't the point of working for a Rockefilly.

Rivet pricked her ears up at the speech, 'This Maximilian fellow must be important for Snowfall to read his letter aloud to the assembly.' She thought. She twirled the toothpick in her second faintly glowing drink as she listened intently, the ticking of her hair clip kept her left ear occupied but with her other she listened to every word of the proposal. Rivet scrunched up her nose after taking a sip of her drink, thinking about what the letter was trying to get across.

'Well that was rather vague,' She pondered, 'Something about 'A link from Stalliongrad to Rockwington.' Couldn't he have been a touch more specific with this? I mean, I rarely ever leave my light-house,' She flashed back to the stallion rifling thought her things and shuddered yet again, ' Why would this interest me?' Punctuating the thought with a sip of her drink. 'Well, I suppose I won't be visiting that meeting, sounds out of my range, but best to mull it over for a while before deciding fully. I really want to visit the Ostrov District and see those new airframes that I have been hearing about. Supposedly they shaved about six berkovets, which if I am not mistaken is somewhere near one tonne, give or take. I don't know why Stalliongrad airframes have to use these odd measurements, makes working with them a little bit of a pain. Alas, some of the best frames are Stallian made though.' Rivet had drifted off into her own little world of thought, permeated by calculations and numbers, strange equations and gears. Sometimes she was hopeless, especially at social gatherings.