Cooling their hooves [Ended]

Tempest Rime

Zephyr stiffened his body at first when Mal pressed her body against his, but the immediate warmth and comfort it provided subsided any nervous thoughts. While Zephyr could sleep on his back, he felt compelled to turn toward her and drape a hoof over her. It would be much more comfortable in every way he thought, but considering it meant going back on his word, he decided fighting against that urge and remained in his current position next to Mal. And to his surprise, laying like this next to the mare was rather enjoyable.

He wasn't quite expecting Mal to say she respected him back. Any positive response from the mare seemed amazing in its own right. Zephyr smiled, even though Mal couldn't see it, he was sure she knew. The tension seemed to have subsided completely now. Considering her proximity and what she had just admitted to him, Zephyr was pretty sure she was finally comfortable with this situation.

"Funny you mention that, well... I guess not really 'funny', err... anyway. During the warmer seasons, I would stay out in the woods close to Manehattan whenever I could. There's... freedom out there!" Zephyr spoke in a hopeful tone. "You know the feeling! Everything out there is just so... natural... and..." Zephyr's voice starts to show uncertainty. "Uh, I don't know the words for it. I've never been all that great with words."

He thought about her fire statement. "I only tried to start a fire once, I had heard about how to do it, but I couldn't manage it then. Fire scares me a bit. I got a burn on my flank once when I stole from a unicorn. I... wasn't being very careful that time." He couldn't help but giggle a little, considering Mal wielded flame magic, and gave her a light nudge. "It wasn't you was it?" He spoke jokingly.

Zephyr gave a comforting sigh. "I'm glad I met you. You're easy to talk to and you say some very insightful things."

"Yeah, yeah," Mal muttered, "ease off on the flattery already. You may say something I don't take kindly too if you're not careful. Just 'cause I respect you doesn't mean we're friends or anything. I don't do friendship."

She sighed. "Anyway, I doubt it was me, unless it happened in Trottingham. I've never been to Manehattan, and I have to be extra careful around Canterlot. You saw what got the guards riled up, they'd probably execute you on the spot if you ever hurt another pony. Even one who was trying to steal from you, which incidentally, is not a crime you really ever see in this town. Heh, if it was, I'd probably be making a whole lot more from my locksmithing business." She chuckled slightly at the thought.

"I did get into trouble in Trottingham though. A one-eyed new kid at the orphanage who doesn't speak with the local accent, I may as well have been begging to get picked on. So I did what you gotta do to avoid getting bullied, I became the biggest bully there." She wasn't looking for sympathy, she was actually a little proud of being a bully.

Zephyr felt sad when Mal admitted that she didn't want friends. It's what he was trying to go for. She didn't specify why, though he was sure he knew the answer to it already. "Oh... I wasn't trying to flatter you. It was just what I thought."

He thought about her not wanting friends a little harder, it was really a sad thought to him that she didn't want any. Zephyr had nopony he could call a friend. He thought even this troubled mare would be a good friend to have, maybe the perfect one due to their similarities. There was nopony else Zephyr felt he could share his thoughts with like this one. She listened and responded in ways that no other pony would. He thought about ways to word it that could be in her favor. There had to be a way to get through to her. Zephyr knew now what set the mare off, so he knew his wording was important. Zephyr cursed his luck in his mind. Articulating things how he truly wanted wasn't a strong point of his. Still he would try.

"You don't do friendships? ... Why is that? I've heard it's a great thing. I mean, I wouldn't know, I don't have any friends." He didn't speak as if he wanted sympathy from the mare, so he spoke plainly. "But you really don't trust anypony enough for any sort of friendship? What about a pony to help you if you need help, or somepony to talk to? One could help you search for books on your kind of magic." He waved his hoof that was opposite of her side, up in the air. "I'm curious why..." He knew he was about to get a mouthful from the mare, and probably anger. If she was put off at all about light flattery, he knew this probably wasn't a good subject for her.

"Why? Why? Where do I start?" Mal sighed in exasperation. "It's not just about trust. Somepony can be completely trustworthy one day, and circumstances could still turn them against you on the next. And even discounting extenuating circumstances, ponies chance. Somepony who claims to be your friend can always change their mind. If you do ever need help with something, just work out an equal trade with somepony. A professional relationship is more equitable for both parties, and there's no pointless emotional attachments or false notions of dependancy. And that way if they ever stand in your way, you can freely oppose them, since you don't owe them anything."

Mal took a deep breath. "And friends tie you down as much as material wealth. Once you get all sentimental, you start feeling like you don't want to leave them behind. Before you know it, you're trapped in one place, one life. Freedom comes from not having attachments like that to tie you down. Friendships, family, material wealth, power, fame, love, they're all traps laid to rob you of your freedom."

She paused, considering for a moment. Her tone fell to a morbid grumble. "Also... emotional attachments are weaknesses waiting to be exploited. If somepony you care for is threatened, you would want to protect them. And even if nopony takes advantage of that weakness, accidents and time can still hurt you through them." She exhaled sharply. That was a lot of explaining, but hopefully it would get him off her case about it.

Zephyr couldn't believe what he was hearing and as much as he didn't want to, he found himself believing what she was saying. It all made sense, and the more it all came together, the more empty and sad Zephyr began to feel. This mare's jaded way of thinking was making Zephyr very depressed. It made sense, but at the same time, Zephyr couldn't agree. It just felt wrong, for him, to agree.

"I..." The words came out rough, as if he was fighting to hold them back. "Actually agree with that." It was hard for him to verbally agree with her just like that. It felt wrong. Part of him wanted to just drop the subject and leave it as is, but it left him feeling sad. Simply dropping it and giving up wasn't an option.

"No... no I don't agree with that! How..." Zephyr lifted himself up again and turned to Mal. Reaching down, he put his hoof on her side and turned her to look at him. Of course it meant breaking what he had said to her earlier, but his simple action of turning her attention wasn't what she meant. If she wanted to hold it against him, he didn't care. Of course, the mare would be upset that he disturbed her physically like this, but no matter.

His voice gave off a hint of desperation, no longer holding the stale casual tone it had before. "I understand what you're saying Mal, I really do. I've lived like that my whole life, and while it went far smoother than my life has the last few months when I've been trying to make friends, it just felt so empty and lonely." Exhale. "Even my short-lived acquaintances have held some meaning or added something to my life. I..." He had to pause for a moment, as he was losing sight of the words he wanted to use. His expression showing his confusion. "I'm not the best at explaining what I mean. Uh, and yes, friends do create an attachment, but I feel they give back far more than they take. That attachment makes a feeling that... oh what's the word?" Zephyr was lost on how to finish what he had started saying. Sometime during his short statement, he had moved his hoof off of Mal, which was now rubbing his mane, further showcasing his own confusion.

Mal frowned at Zephyr when he turned her, but gave no other outward indications of being overly upset. When he mentioned feeling empty, she found herself echoing his sentiments with the word "hollow." She looked away as he continued speaking, looking very depressed. Maybe he was right. Maybe the whole foundation she'd lived her life on was wrong. It was too much for her to accept.

"No," she said cooly, standing up and pacing back and forth. There was just a hint of wetness around her eyes as if she was near to tears, but nothing else in her demeanor suggested as much. "No. That's nothing but short-sighted, sentimental foalishness." without warning, she exploded in a tirade of shrieking. "THERE'S NOTHING SPECIAL ABOUT FRIENDSHIP! NOTHING, YOU HEAR ME!? IT'S A LIE! YOU CA-"

She was cut off suddenly, as the guard had very quickly called in some help and several of them burst into the cell to put a stop to it. Mal was led down the hall into another cell, where she couldn't converse with Zephyr without yelling. As the guards went back to their duties elsewhere, Mal cast a slightly regretful glance down the hall towards Zephyr.

To Zephyr's surprise, there was an emotional response to what was said. She seemed to be trying to hide it, he could see a slight glimpse of sorrow in the poor mare's eyes. Her pacing suggesting she was having trouble accepting what Zephyr spoke to her. He knew he had gotten to her in a small way, even if she wouldn't admit it. For that, Zephyr felt happy and relieved. When she got up to pace about, Zephyr reached out to pull her back, but barely missed her. He wanted the warmth her closeness brought. Why did she have to get up? The thought went through his mind as she paced back and forth.

Zephyr remained quiet while she paced, he could see that she was thinking and didn't want to interrupt her. As he watched her, his previous mentioning of her being attractive popped back into his mind. He never really gave it all that much before this. Mal looked much more attractive to him when she wasn't scowling at somepony or angry. Of course, Zephyr knew not to say that to her, he would keep these thoughts to himself. Since he had a moment during her pacing, he couldn't help but admire her fair frame. Unfortunately that was stopped when she turned and started shrieking at him. It was a desperate attempt to deny Zephyr's words. Even Zephyr could see past it. There weren't any words that Zephyr could manage to think of. He wasn't much for words when he thought about it. Actions would speak more than anything he could say at this point and Zephyr figured a simple embrace would help Mal more than anything that night. Surely even a cold hearted mare like her would feel something during such a moment and during her mad shrieks, Zephyr got to his hooves and was about to approach Mal to give her the warm embrace he felt she so desperately needed.

He wouldn't be able to do so though, as a few guards came in and interrupted Mal mid shriek, and were heading straight for her. Apparently the two of them were not supposed to be in the same cell, in fact, now that he thought about it, there were far more cells than ponies in here. Somepony had messed up and now came to correct their earlier mistake. The guards were quick to grab Mal, and remove her from the cell. Zephyr wasn't sure why, he didn't think it through at all, and simply acted on impulse. He galloped toward the guards taking Mal away, he wasn't done speaking with her nor did he want her being taken away. Having to spend entire week in this cold cell alone would was going to be bad enough, and seeing how Mal could be around for just one of the nights would ease the process. He wanted somepony close that night, specifically Mal now that he had been so close to her, and these guards dared take her away. Zephyr took a direct route for Mal, ready to buck the guards away from Mal, he couldn't believe he was doing this. There was no hope for it, nor should he try for her, but logic and reason had escaped his mind at that point.

Mal and the guards taking her away were already at the cell door and Zephyr didn't make it there before being struck across his chest by an oncoming hoof, knocking him back. A commanding voice was heard, "Stand down!". Zephyr remained on his hooves and he refocused on his target, who was now out of the cell. He should have given up, but he didn't and took another blind gallop toward Mal, making it a bit further, but to no success. This time he was struck from the side by a rather large earth pony, who sent Zephyr sliding across the cold floor. The commanding voice spoke louder this time. "I said to stand down!" Zephyr did as he was told this time, though it didn't stop him from standing back to his hooves again, and passing the earth pony guard a glare. He didn't move from his spot as he didn't want that guard striking him again, thinking that Zephyr would be a continuing threat. Though he almost wanted the guard to approach him, it would give Zephyr a reason to strike. Then again, he really didn't want to be in here for even longer for assaulting yet, another guard. On another hoof, what's one extra guard added to his list of three that night?

Nothing else between Zephyr and the guard occured and the cell door was shut behind the earth pony as he left the cell. Zephyr looked toward Mal, who was now placed in another cell across the hall. He was upset and angry that they would come and seperate him from her like that, just when he was getting through to the mare. Zephyr felt he could finally have a friend and it was all messed up now. The only pony he really trusted with his past was now out of reach. He wasn't really sure if he liked the mare, he just wanted to be around her more that evening.

Zephyr stood at the edge of the cell, looking toward Mal and he called out to her. "I'll come visit you one day." He knew that was all that needed to be said. He didn't have the address on the package anymore, but he had gotten so lost during his search on the wrong side of Canterlot for her shop, that he had constantly checked back to the package to make sure he did read the address right. That address was burned into his memory. A sigh escaped him and he laid down at the edge of the cell, looking toward Mal. He was sure he heard a guard tell him to quiet down when he called out to Mal, but he was trying to ignore everything but the mare in the other cell at that point. The bed would be much more comfortable than the floor, but he'd go to it later.

Mal turned away when she noticed Zephyr looking her way. She got into bed and pulled the sheets over her head to conceal herself from him. Sleep would help, everything would be much clearer in the morning. No more doubts. She wasn't remotely tired, but she forced herself to try to sleep anyway. Working late nights and odd hours had left her with a greater than average ability to force herself to sleep.

It took a little while, but she managed to drift off into a dreamless slumber for a while before she was jarred awake by a guard banging on the door. She felt far more tired than when she'd fallen asleep.

"Rise and shine. And get the hay out."

Mal followed groggily, and was given her possessions, including the book Zephyr had delivered, and the package it had come in. She blinked at it a few times before asking for a pen, signing her name on the invoice still attached to it, and then handing the invoice to the guard. "This belongs to the pegasus who was brought in with me," she said.

She walked home slowly, thinking about what Zephyr had said. He couldn't be right. But what if he was? Everypony now knew the stories of how friendship powered the Elements of Harmony. What if there was a mystical component that she was missing? Her thoughts went round and round as she walked, and before she knew it, she was home.

She made up her mind. She turned around and walked right back to the jail. She asked to see the sergeant on duty so that she could file a formal complaint, insisting that she would see nopony else when they tried to get her to simply fill out a form. Finally the officer on duty relented, and she was able to get in to see the lieutenant. She was grateful to see that it wasn't still Bonfire, though she'd figured the shifts must have changed by now.

"I would like to complain about the conduct of your night watch. One of your officers attempted to assault me, and when an associate of mine interceded, he was charged with assaulting an officer. I maintain that he was attempting to protect me, and does not deserve the full punishment. Furthermore, his punishment is a severe detriment to his livelyhood, as he will lose his job should he serve a full week term jailed here." She exhaled in relief when she'd finished talking. She'd been practicing that line in her head the whole walk back.

The officer frowned, opened up his files, and read as far as the name of the sergeant on duty. Bonfire. A formal inquiry would not look good for Bonfire, as Bonfire's temper was well-known. Plus, Bonfire was a good sergeant, and the lieutenant didn't want to tie him up with an inquiry. He scanned the rest of the information before deciding on the details, but his mind was already made up. "Even if it was an attempt to protect you, striking an officer is a serious offense. However, given his dependancy on a job," he paused dramatically, "I believe I can commute the rest of his prison sentence, on condition that he completes at least 100 hours of community service, which he can schedule with the local department at his home town. That is, provided you are willing to let this incident go..."

Mal scowled. Just like the guard to try to pull one over on her. But if she didn't take his offer, Zephyr would stay stuck in jail and lose his job. She might already be too late to stop that. "Fine. That's fine, just..." She looked away. "Don't tell him I stood up for him like this." She looked back in time to see the lieutenant nod before she slunk back out. Feeling extremely tired now, she went straight home and collapsed into her nice, not-too-comfortable bed.

When Mal covered herself under the bedsheets, Zephyr knew what that meant, and he brought himself over to the bed. He sighed as he knew it was going to take him awhile to get to sleep. His thoughts were still on Mal and how the bed was no longer as comfortable without it being shared. Even so, after some time, sleep approached.

There was a banging sound in the distance. Easily ignored with the forgetful dream that was occuring in Zephyr's subconscious. The banging didn't stop, then a loud voice. Why do those guards have to speak so loud? Zephyr looked up with groggy eyes, giving a mumbled response to what he thought he heard. "I will not." He heard the creaking sound of a door, then a slam as a door in the distance closed. Zephyr looked toward the sound and caught a glimpse of Mal following a guard, then going out of view. He stumbled out of the bed to catch another glance to the mare, but only caught her back side as she, again, left the area out of view. He sighed and realized there was nothing else to do but go back to sleep, he was still tired anyway. He returned to the bed and laid on his front side with the sheets over him.

He was awakened by a loud banging on the cell door. "Get up!" Zephyr responded cold and angrily, he didn't want to talk to them or see them. "Go away!" The door swung open and the sound of hooves could be heard. Zephyr growled, he was ready to strike the first one that dared touch him. He looked up out of the sheets, glaring toward the cell entrance. "I don't want to talk to any of you!" The guard kept his cool, despite Zephyr's threatening tone. "It looks like you've been released early." He narrowed his eyes to Zephyr. "So you may want to drop the attitude."

Zephyr jumped out of the bed with surprise, stopping next to it so as not to startle the guard. "Early release? But why?" Zephyr couldn't believe he was actually questioning it. The guardspony didn't explain anything, it seemed he didn't know much of the details. Two others waited outside of the cell to escort him out. The area he was led through was familiar. They nearly backtracked their steps from the previous night. Finally he was led into an unfamiliar room where two ponies stood behind a desk, and his escorts left him with the two. One of them, being the lieutenant that Mal had spoken with. Zephyr tried not to look upset when faced before them, but his posture was a clear sign he wasn't happy, despite the good news. Simply being in this situation with these two ponies, who Zephyr was sure thought they were better than him, was enough to keep his mood sour. Luckily Bonfire was not among the two, nor was he seen as he was escorted here.

The lieutenant spoke. "You're being released early on the condition that you will complete no less than 100 hours of community service. The documents for your local department are here." He slid a sealed envelope toward Zephyr across the desk. "Show them these and you can get started, they will handle the scheduling." Zephyr noticed his saddlebags were also in the room, along with the invoice for the package.

Zephyr was thoroughly confused and couldn't hold back his question. "Why the sudden change in my sentencing?" He couldn't hold back his words. "Need the space for ponies that actually commited crimes?"

As Zephyr thought, the lieutenant did not like his response. "If you'd like, we can put you right back in the cells. It would be wise for you to watch your words." He was right. They were offering a lighter sentence and Zephyr saw that he was mindlessly being rude. He softened his otherwise, snide tone. Though he averted his eyes as he apologized. "Sorry... And I guess I should say thank you for letting me out much sooner."

The lieutenant responded quickly. "It's not me you should thank." Zephyr looked back toward the pony, a surprised and confused look on his face. "Huh?"

"Get your things and go!" The lieutenant spoke with a stern voice. Zephyr would waste no time doing so and straped his bags to himself, being sure he had the invoice and the paperwork for his community service secured in them. No other words were spoken between the ponies and Zephyr was led out of the premise. There was quite a bit of relief that the pony didn't start in on the weight of what Zephyr had done. He didn't want to hear some big speech about it.

Once he was out of their view, he took off to the skies, heading back toward Cloudsdale. After being in that cold cell for even one night, the freedom of the skies felt amazing. Zephyr smiled and enjoyed the rush of wind through his mane, never wanting to be in a situation like that again. On the way, he remembered his last words to Mal, that he would come to visit her. He thought about it, but knew he had better return to Cloudsdale as soon as possible. Once things got settled and straightened out as far his job and community service scheduling were concerned, he would go visit the mare. If he was going to show her that he followed behind his words, he had to keep to what he said.

Explaining the situation to his boss wasn't easy, but Zephyr was allowed to keep his job. Any other infraction and he would be let go however. Should be easy enough to follow, as he never got into trouble during his deliveries.

The community service was nothing too special or anything challenging. During his first, he thought back to Mal, and what the lieutenant had said to him. He was pretty sure it meant that it was her that was able to get the sentence changed. Something had to be done for that. As soon as he could, he would send a note to Mal, though what to write was beyond him. What could he say? The thought bugged him through most of the hours of that scheduled service. He finally decided on something. It would be short and to the point. The note would read:

Thank you.

-Your Friend

Zephyr Burst

He knew she was partial to gratitude and flattery, so the simple message was all that would be needed. The act itself would be enough for Mal to understand. His return address, should she ever desire it, was printed on the envelope. There was one other thing he could do for Mal. He would never expect anything in return, it was just something he wanted to do. Mal had made a passing comment about the beds in the cell being nicer than hers. While he knew she didn't covet material possessions, he was sure she wouldn't be upset. Of course he was sure she would want to test beds out, so he planned on buying her a new bed if she wanted when he was able to visit her.