Ponies & Dragons

Starburst

Pffft, well that's certainly somewhat close. Though Raz is more cheerful and less cocky. Still, I do appreciate the reference xD

Edit: also as an Addendum to my class I think I will just stick with ranger in this particular case. While i love the Scout class the one thing that has always irked me about them is their -SEVERE- lack of weapon proficiency, especially for a combat oriented class (mostly anyway) and they always seemed designed to encourage using ranged weapons rather then melee. Which is all fine and good but in this case i'll probably not need the class imported.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dunno. I'm hearing 'Dex-based Barbarian', really. "Fast Movement", greatsword, and his primary character traits are loving to do battle and loving to talk about doing battle ... Add in Nimble Moves and Acrobatic Steps... Add in Mobility and Spring Attack... perhaps Barbarian / Fighter, if you want a lot of feats.

I'm also hearing "Curtain and Bramble can unite in their jealousy of the pony with the amazing chiseled jaw and stories of heroic deeds."

Well primary character traits are skill in combat yeah, but more so he loves exploration and just adventure in general. He enjoys a good brawl yeah but its not his entire focus. I mainly decided on Ranger cuz of his race and his implied agileness but eh, I'm still deciding on that.

And hah, I wasn't implying he'd be the envy of anypony, unless that last statement was a joke? But anyway I actually want to get a more grounded personality behind him; I've got the idea ive just not had the opportunity to put it to.the test yet. *shrugs* we'll see.

Edit: Actually the barbarian/fighter suggestion seems plausible. If only I knew the first thing about proper multiclassing xD but ill take a look!

Oh, Curtain and Bramble have been jealous of each other for being 'proper heroic figures' for a long time. Curtain is jealous of Bramble because Bramble had this favored life and this long-standing relationship with Ironmane, and doesn't have some dark past. Bramble is jealous of Curtain because he seems so carefree and swashbuckler-ish. If we got some stallion in the party who had a chiselled jaw and was a proper adventurer, they'd both be grinding their teeth in frustration. It'd be HILARIOUS.

As for multiclassing... I can help with that! :) It's not that hard. And especially with the fighting classes, it's a piece of cake. Spellcasters take it in the pants with multiclassing, but fighting classes couldn't care less...

So for instance, looking through possible barbarian-only powers, I'm finding Pathfinder has Rage Powers. Which is new to me. You get them at level 2 and ever 2 levels thereafter.

Bestial Leaper: Take a standard action while moving during a rage

There's a variety of elemental damage rage powers, which if you applied 'electricity' to them, would be PERFECT for a pegasus barbarian.

Sprint and Swiftfoot are EXACTLY what you want for your character - when raging, you have extra move speed.

Knockback seems appropriate...

overbearing advance and overbearing onslaught...

And of course, as GM, I love people making up extra powers, feats, and spells to better suit their character concept, so I'd be delighted to help you put together a few more Rage Powers regarding movement. Geeze. Yeah, looking at these, if I were making Rainbow Dash in Pathfinder, I'd probably make her a Barbarian.

Taking a look at some of those rage powers and yeah, I can see how they'd fit! The reliance on Constitution may be an issue for a pegasi (given the Con penalty) but it should still be within the range of working-around. I'd appreciate all the help I can get with the multiclassing since I've only got experience in straight class leveling, and even then I've never gotten a character to max, or even close XD

And of course I enjoy taking creative liberties with abilities, feats, and the like as well! As long as its within acceptable ranges of course; I'd be happy to talk more about possible creations! After all, DnD in all its variants give us rules and corebooks as a foundation; guidelines to help in creating your own adventure and heroes (or villains depending).

And finally, the frustration of those two with Razor would be all kinds of fun, I agree! While he's not the "Boastful, Shining Knight" kinda adventurer he's certainly one to tell tales to pass the time, or if he thinks they'd be really fun to tell! In fact that'd kind of make it funnier, having Raz speak about his past exploits without the intention of bragging, and yet it still causes Bramble and Curtain to seethe with envy; for some reason the indirectness adds to it for me, no idea why!

I'm starting to think that you might not even need multiclassing - just straight-up Barbarian would do the trick. Rage Powers are basically feats that only work when raging. And Barbarians have more skill points than fighters, which is rather handy.

And yes, the indirectness and unintentionalness of it would entirely be part of the fun. I don't think the other two would be nearly as envious of a shining knight type of adventurer... they both want to be the awesome swashbuckler kind.

Let's see... normal movement speed is 30 ... Raz starts at level 1 with 40, at level 4 he could have a move rate of 50 when raging, before we even try to minmax it at all ... and if we give him horseshoes to double his move rate ...

Well we'll see! I'd imagine at the very least Spring Attack is going to be a must for this character if he's movement speed and flight focused; would also make the Vital Strike line useful since he'd be make drive-by attacks at increased damage. Of course we can work in self-made powers and feats to make this particular pegasus the momentum-powered fighter he's shaping up to be!

Though while I would love to continue talking about it I need to be getting some sleep; I have a full day in the morning and then work directly after. I'll hopefully talk again soon! And thank y'all again, both for letting me tag along and helping get this character put together.

Edit: Sadly Vital Strike can't be used with Spring Attack nor charging. Just found that out. :(

No, definitely not - the concept is that you're combining a lot of attacks into a single attack to better bypass damage reduction.

However, what do you think of the idea of a rage power that gives you extra damage to an attack depending on how much movement you made before making the attack?

Essentially the Barbarian version of Skirmish? Or something similar to it; the more movement before an attack the more powerful it is. I like that! I was also thinking of something like "Brutal Dive: Requires natural flight (Which pegasi have of course). If raging and in flight make an attack on your opponent as a standard action; if you hit then you slam down on your target from above with such force that it knocks them prone. If you miss you slam into the ground instead and are Dazed. This can only be used once per-rage." or something along those lines. The movement-empowering attack is certainly a must; there could be other possibly feats that give power-through momentum.

Haha, well most of my dnd experience is with putting our characters into ridiculously dangerous (or hilarious) situations as well... Which funnily enough can result in some awesome moments.

I remember one game in pathfinder me and my group had captured a wanted criminal for a.certain city, and this criminal also happened to be an important figure for that city's enemy. So the last part of.our first mission was escaping the local enforcement, hijackings a boat to escape on the docks, getting chased by two larger frigates, -somehow- comandeering one of them and turning its weapons back.on the remaining ship and making our escape.

Granted the actual event had a lot more happen but this was the summary. It was a bad situation that bassically turned into Pirates of the Caribbean.

And I been busy, no worries. Do you have the pathfinder books / are you familiar with the pathfinder system? If not, my preferred SRD is:

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/

You can find the core classes, the pathfinder classes, etc...

Consider yourself to be going in at level 4. See what you can put together a good Barbarian. I rolled a set of scores for you and got this:

So, go you!

I don't have the books but I am familiar with the system and have used the SRD before. I'm at least savvy on character creation on a basic level, though I haven't gotten the chance to play much; most of my DND experience is with 3.5.

Also,.those are some excellent stats! I'll get those distributed. Probably, since I'm barbarian, something like...

Str: 18

Dex: 14 (+2)=16

Con: 18 (-2)= 16

Int: 13

Wis: 12

Cha: 11

I'll get a sheet put together here in a bit!

Edit: Also, figured I'd ask; are we using Traits and Flaws? Or just one of those? Normally I've used traits but I just wanna make sure.

EditEdit:

Well in the meantime, this is what I got worked up so far.

Name: Razor "Raz" Wind

Sex: Colt

Species: Pegasus

Pelt Color: Dark Blue

Mane/Tail/Markings Color & Style: Silver, Wavy, slightly spiked Mane and Tail.

Eye Color: Bright Yellow

Cutie Mark: Sword with Wings upon the hilt

Physique: Athletically Built; nimble and fast with decent muscle as well.

Origin: Cloudsdale

Roleplay Type: Adventurous, Cheerful, Light hearted

Motivation: Raz's motivation is simply to explore and discover the world for himself. This leads him into all sorts of perilous (to others) situations and new challenges for him to overcome. He lives his life to become stronger, meet new and interesting ponies, and above all have fun with his life! If he should meet groups of ponies on their own world travels he'll gladly join in (as long as they aren't up to anything nefarious of course)

Dislikes: "Stick In the Mud" types, violence with no reason, being slowed down, staying in one place too long

Character Summary:

Razor was always something of a fighter even during childhood.Taking on after his father, who was a travelling mercenary before becoming a parent, the little pegasus loved to spar and wrestle with other ponies; he and his father always practiced over the weekends during his younger days. Every month the little colt just seemed to get more and more adept at fighting, to the point that Gale had to hold himself back less and less during their sparring sessions. One day, when Raz was just about at young-adolescence, he and his father had a more rough sparring session then they ever before; something seemed to spark inside the little pegasus, a rush of energy he'd not felt before! Whatever it was it allowed him to best his father, and in that moment his Cutie Mark marking his talent of Combat appeared.

Gale was, obviously, ecstatic to see his son find his calling and wished to help Raz find a career that could use his talents. After finishing his schooling, Razor went off to join the Royal Equestrian Army.. but found its strict rules and emphasis on obedience and diligence not to his liking; he was a free minded fighter at heart, and couldn't function under so many regulations. Quitting only two years later, Razor returned home and prepared to instead take on after his father as a travelling mercenary; going off to see the world for himself and hone his skills in anyway he could! Saying goodbye to his family, Razor set out into the Greater Equestrian expanse to make his mark on the world.

CHARACTER STATS:

Level 4 Pegasus Barbarian

HP: (Don't know if you want me to roll this in a chat room, but I rolled up a total of 53 Hp)

12 [first lvl] +3 [Con]

+8 [barbarian lvl 2] +3 [Con]

+6 [barbarian lvl 3] +3 [Con]

+11 [barbarian lvl 4] +3 [Con]

+4 [Favored Class]

AC: 18 (4 Armor, 3 Dex, 1 Deflection)

Strength: 18

Dexterity: 16

Constitution: 16

Intelligence: 14 (Placed the one stat point gain at level 4 into here to bring it from 13 to 14)

Wisdom: 12

Charisma: 10

Barbarian Ablities:

Uncanny Dodge

Trap Sense +1

Rage

Fast Movement (+10)

Rage Powers 2

Feats:

Power Attack

Cleave

Rage Rounds Left: 13

Rage Powers: 2 Available

(Waiting until we create the one that is powered by movement. Thinking it'll be called Momentum Swing or something)

Base Attack Bonus: +4

Fortitude: +7

Reflex: +4

Will: +2

Initiative: +3

Base Move Speed:40 Feet

Fly Speed: 60 feet (Average Mobility)

CMB: +8

CMD: +21

Languages: Common (Can learn 2 extra, waiting to decide on those)

SKILLS

SKILL Total + Ability Mod. + Ranks + Misc.

Acrobatics*

+10 = DEX 3+4+3

Appraise

+2 = INT 2+0+0

Climb*

+9 = STR 4+2+3

Escape Artist*

+3 = DEX 3+0+0

Fly*

+10 = DEX 3+4+3

K (Nature)

+9 = INT 2+4+3

Perception

+8 = WIS 1+4+3 Ride

+3 = DEX 3+0+0

Sense Motive

+1 = WIS 1+0+0

Survival

+8 = WIS 1+4+3

Swim*

+9 = STR 4+2+3

(Only showing skills that currently have ranks, are trained, or have more points then 0)

Equipment:

Masterwork Greatsword:

• Accuracy: +9 (+7 Power Attack)
  • Damage: 2d6 +6 (+12 Power Attack)

Chain shirt: 4 Ac, 4 Max Dex, -1 Armor Check Penalty

+1 Ring of Protection: +1 Deflection Bonus to AC

Money: 3550 (2000 spend on the ring, 350 on the sword, 100 on the armor)

Lemme just emphasis this is a BARE BASIC make up. If things need to be changed based on the campaign's story then I'll gladly do so! ^^

HOW DOES EVERYBODY ELSE ROLL 18! awsnblivuhaw;iuefh;aOIVJHC;OIAWFJ

Anyway, time to actually read that post. Also, I'm working on both of mine. I had them ready. I did. In this chat editor. Not on a Word Processing program. With a save function. I closed the tab, guys. I closed the tab! I just feel so... *uncontrollable sobbing*

*Soothes the Krackle with hugs, and possibly ice cream* There there, I know how it feels to lose post work because of a browser close.. or crash. *Horrid flashbacks*

And as for my 18's, just -watch- me roll at least three natural ones on my first actions. It -will- happen, my luck has a habit of having lots of little bad luck, then one REALLY FREAKING LUCKY THING HAPPENS, and then its back to bad luck again. So don't worry :P

My only grief is that techno music doesn't exist yet, as this takes place before Princess Luna did her first Eddie Brock impression. Other than that, yep, that's an adventurer! Lives to boldly go and all that. Could use a bit more color maybe, though not everybody needs a troubled past. Good show!

Figured, just wanted to put down the general "Copy Paste" style of how I introduce Razor! But yeah, I'll go ahead and change that. As for making it more colored I honestly have been in a writer's block lately and only could think of writing out the basics! There's another subplot involving a friend of his and joining up with a pirate crew, but that was put in for a Canterlot Chronicles rp, it didn't need to be here was my reasoning. I'll probably add more as time goes on, and I get to use him more!

OK, Razor, looked over your description there, and here's my first thoughts:

First, for "Rage Powers" I can definitively say that whatever special speed-based damage booster you get, it's going to have a requisite of the rage power that makes you go faster. Start there. Let me see what you come up with (cause I'm a bit busy at the moment) and we'll go from there.

Second: for feats, I was really expecting some dodge and mobility, from your description. Where'd this power attack and cleave come from? And why is 'str' 18 while 'dex' is 16? I thought Dex was going to be your main stat!

Third: If you're all about daring-do and then telling the tale about it afterwards, I'm really thinking you'd want more charisma than that... and for skills, perhaps I'm missing it, but performance: storytelling? Also, he's a pegasus, why does he have climb again?

My bad on all the points about his skills and stats; I'm always used to playing strictly by the books and building accordingly; plus I have little experience in building for rp. Bear with me I still got a lot to learn ><

I'll make the necessary changes when I get home from work. Sorry 'bout that!

Well my rational behind the stat and feat choices.was that for a by-the-books barbarian its a good set up. If we were tackling this normally,.high strength with power attack is a -must have-. Making ny strength too low would have my miss a lot and deal less damage over all... But then again for the sake of rp-over-mechanics we could possibly say in this case, or by acquiring a certain feat, you Raz could instead add his dex bonus to his accuracy and damage. Not having power attack with kind of hurt,.but then again Dodge and Mobility build into things like Disorienting Maneuvers, Spring Attck, Wind Stance and then Lightning Stance, so it could still work.

As.for the rage power prerequisite, I'd say Swiftfoot and Sprint are the two needed powers. This would mean i woudlnf get the momentum rage power until level 6 though.. hmm.. ill think some more on it!

And as for skills, yeah I think ill put the 13+1 into Charisma instead of intelligence, and train in storytelling.

OH GOD SO MANY TYPOS. Phone auto correct is literally the worst thing ever.

Archived