Ponies & Dragons

Starburst

Looking through the archetypes, I'm not seeing anything that jumps out at me, so how about this for an idea...

A new archetype: The Lightning Rage.

The concept is that this is someone who, when he lets loose, is *fast* instead of powerful, who's more at home moving quickly than standing still. His enemies fear the cry of the Lightning Berserker, because they never know from which direction he'll be coming after them next - he's like a pack of wolves all in a single pony!

The normal rage gets replaced by Lightning Rage: You gain a +4 morale bonus to your strength and dexterity, as well as a +2 morale bonus on Reflex saves. The -2 penalty to armor class gets offset by your +2 from dex, leaving your AC untouched for the duration.

New Rage Power:

Furious Assault: The barbarian in rage attacks with a rapid series of small and swift attacks instead of one huge attack, expecting that at least one of those attacks will get through. When in rage, the barbarian uses his dex bonus instead of his str bonus to hit.

Basically weapon finesse for raging.

Improved Furious Assault: Gains dex bonus to damage instead of str.

Momentum Rage:

Requirements: Swift Foot, Furious Assault, and Bestial Leaper, Barbarian level 6.

Benefit: The barbarian gains an additional +1d12 damage to his attack assuming he moves his full move rate during the round. He doesn't have to make the attack at the end of his move rate, but he does have to make the entire move rate. If his move rate is cut short after his attack - such as from being dropped or tripped during an attack of opportunity, or suddenly choosing to force himself to stop, he suffers from having his momentum disrupted. If he's not already prone, then make a reflex save versus 10+the extra damage dealt or go prone. If he ends up the turn prone, take 1d12 damage.

Improved Momentum Rage:

Requirements: Momentum Rage, Barbarian Level 8

Benefit: When using Momentum Rage, gain an additional 1d12 damage for each 30 feet the barbarian moves.

I'd also offer this as a feat:

Extra Rage Powers: The barbarian gets to choose two additional rage powers. He must meet all other requirements for the rage powers.

These are just off the top of my head, they can be adjusted.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry for the late reply, I just got up. That all looks great to me, Bramble! The one thing I'd wonder about though is if he's getting Dex to Hit and Damage while raging then Strength would only really be of use outside of Rage, at least when he actually gets both of those abilities. Aside from that, it looks good! I've unfortunately gotta run some errands today, but when I get back I'll make some changes to my sheet.

Okay! Got another sheet down, lemme know if this one is better.

CHARACTER STATS:

Level 4 Pegasus Barbarian

HP: 53

12 [first lvl] +3 [Con]

+8 [barbarian lvl 2] +3 [Con]

+6 [barbarian lvl 3] +3 [Con]

+11 [barbarian lvl 4] +3 [Con]

+4 [Favored Class]

AC: 19 (4 Armor, 4 Dex, 1 Deflection)

Strength: 14 (+2)

Dexterity: 20 (+5)

Constitution: 16 (+3)

Intelligence: 11 (0)

Wisdom: 12 (+1)

Charisma: 14 (placed the one level point in here) (+2)

Barbarian Ablities:

Uncanny Dodge

Trap Sense +1

Rage

Fast Movement (+10)

Rage Powers

Feats:

Extra Rage Powers

Dodge

Rage Rounds Left: 13

Rage Powers:

Swift Foot

Furious Assault

Raging Leaper

Improved Furious Assault (Dunno when the level requirement for this would be, but I'll put this here for now!)

Base Attack Bonus: +4

Fortitude: +7

Reflex: +6

Will: +2

Initiative: +5

Base Move Speed:45 Feet

Fly Speed: 60 feet (Average Mobility)

CMB: +8

CMD: +21

Languages: Common

SKILLS

Acrobatics*

+12 = DEX 5+4+3

Bluff

+2 = CHA 2+0+0

Diplomacy

+2 = CHA 2+0+0

Disguise

+2 = CHA 2+0+0

Escape Artist*

+5 = DEX 5+0+0

Fly*

+12 = DEX 5+4+3

Heal

+1 = WIS 1+0+0

Intimidate

+2 = CHA 2+0+0

K (Nature)

+4 = INT 0+1+3

Perception

+7 = WIS 1+3+3

Perform (Story Telling)

+9 = CHA 2+4+3

Ride

+5 = DEX 5+0+0

Sense Motive

+1 = WIS 1+0+0

Stealth*

+5 = DEX 5+0+0

Survival

+1 = WIS 1+0+0

Swim*

+2 = STR 2+0+0

(Re distributed skill points!)

Equipment:

Masterwork Greatsword:

• Accuracy: +10
  • Damage: 2d6 +7

Chain shirt: 4 Ac, 4 Max Dex, -1 Armor Check Penalty

+1 Ring of Protection: +1 Deflection Bonus to AC

Money: 3550 (2000 spend on the ring, 350 on the sword, 100 on the armor)

Doh! Messed up one thing. Beastial leaper takes Barbarian level 6 and Raging Leaper before it can be taken. So ive replaced Beastial Leaper in my rage powers with its Raging prerequesite. Hm.. though the feat you made says I can choose two -additional - rage powers. I think I know what ill do! Lemme just finish work and ill put it together

The concept of the Barbarian is that he's awesome when raging and just not quite so awesome otherwise. So yes, you're right about STR getting progressively less useful for this build as you take these various rage powers.

You're right, there should probably be another requirement for improved furious assault ... I'll have to do some research this weekend to see what I can find. I know there's a couple 'improved weapon finesse' abilities that pop up here and there... see what I can balance against those.

Also ... what is he wearing the ring on? There's really only one ring slot, and that's on the unicorn horn.

Fair enough, I suppose that's why Barbs get so many rounds of rage so early on! :) as for the requirement of the improve furious assault ill think on that too. It could just be a level requirement,since hopefully by level six most of my damage will be from Momentum Rage so getting Improved Furious Assault afterwards would be more of an "icing on the cake" power.

That actually brings me to another point; let's say for now I take dodge and mobility and at level 5 I pick up Extra Rage Powers; would those extra powers.carry over to the rage powers I get at level 6? I ask since my plan was thus:

By level 4, the rage powers I have are Furious Assault and Raging Leaper. Level 5 I pick up the power feat, and then at level 6 Id be able to get Swift Foot, Beastial Leaper, and then finally Momentum Rage ((getting three at level 6 because the feat you created grants two additional powers. Unless that was misread?))

Of tcourse this would depend on if picking up Extra Rage Powers would let me pick out two more powers at level 6. If not then no worries! I'll just figure something out.

As for the ring... Uhhh that's a good point! What would the "Ring Of Protection" equivalent for a non unicorn be? Like, a Bracelet of Protection, or a Hoofguard?

Alright, one more stab at this!

CHARACTER STATS:

Level 4 Pegasus Barbarian

HP: 53

12 [first lvl] +3 [Con]

+8 [barbarian lvl 2] +3 [Con]

+6 [barbarian lvl 3] +3 [Con]

+11 [barbarian lvl 4] +3 [Con]

+4 [Favored Class]

AC: 19 (4 Armor, 4 Dex, 1 Dodge)

Strength: 14 (+2)

Dexterity 20 (+5)

Constitution: 16 (+3)

Intelligence: 11 (0)

Wisdom: 12 (+1)

Charisma: 14 (placed the one level point in here) (+2)

Barbarian Ablities:

Uncanny Dodge

Trap Sense +1

Rage

Fast Movement (+10)

Rage Powers

Feats:

Dodge

Mobility

Rage Rounds Left: 13

Rage Powers:

Furious Assault

Raging Leaper

Base Attack Bonus: +4

Fortitude: +7

Reflex: +6

Will: +2

Initiative: +5

Base Move Speed:40 Feet

Fly Speed: 60 feet (Average Mobility)

CMB: +8

CMD: +21

Languages: Common

SKILLS

Acrobatics*

+12 = DEX 5+4+3

Bluff

+2 = CHA 2+0+0

Diplomacy

+2 = CHA 2+0+0

Disguise

+2 = CHA 2+0+0

Escape Artist*

+5 = DEX 5+0+0

Fly*

+12 = DEX 5+4+3

Heal

+1 = WIS 1+0+0

Intimidate

+2 = CHA 2+0+0

K (Nature)

+4 = INT 0+1+3

Perception

+7 = WIS 1+3+3

Perform (Story Telling)

+9 = CHA 2+4+3

Ride

+5 = DEX 5+0+0

Sense Motive

+1 = WIS 1+0+0

Stealth*

+5 = DEX 5+0+0

Survival

+1 = WIS 1+0+0

Swim*

+2 = STR 2+0+0

(Re distributed skill points!)

Equipment:

+1 Greatsword:

• Accuracy: +10
  • Damage: 2d6 +3

Chain shirt: 4 Ac, 4 Max Dex, -1 Armor Check Penalty

Money: 3550 ( 2350 on the sword, 100 on the armor)

Okay! List of changes this time around:

Removed the Ring of Protection and refunded its cost

Used the refunded cost to pay for a +1 enchantment on the Greatsword

Took Dodge and Mobility as my two feats (planning to take Beastial Leaper at 6, then use Extra Rage Powers at 7 to snag Swift Foot and Momentum Rage)

Took Furious Assault and Raging Leaper as first two rage powers.

Hopefully this one passes inspection, thank you for sticking with me on this; I really want to get this right, and still make a fun character out of it! Both mechanics wise and RP wise.

Took a little time to go through the book...

Found out there's already an 'Extra Rage Powers' feat, and it only gives one rage power. Which I think is a bit of a cheat... since rage powers are less powerful than feats.. . but thankfully you didn't take any of those yet.

I haven't fully reviewed yet - I still need to figure out how item slots works for ponies. Cause boots and gloves, for instance, are no longer separate items...

Woot! We can always use another pegasus, and I so seldom see barbarians actually played. Also, welcome! Did I say welcome already? Well, welcome already!

I also agree with whatever sage individual recommended the omake as a jumping-in point. Also, I totally don't mind some "I was here the whole time!" type revisionist history things. This is a fun game, and something like that would fit right in as far as I'm concerned.

Take your time! And do let me.know if you have any problems. I just realized I still need to figure out what Raz's cutie mark will do; probably Knowledge: Dungeoneering or some skill or profession pertaining to his traveling and adventuring nature. I'll think on that.

Also yeah I think.giving two additional rage powers is more fair, especially.considering the better rage powers are only available at high level, and usually have requirements of other, far less useful powers.

As for item slots I'm thinking on that too.. boots could probably be kept the same since ponies can and have worn boots, though gloves would probably be changed to a new item slot entirely. Maybe like, Upper Leg Wrap/Accessory or something?

Edit: Ack! Sorry Trilo I was working on my post.probably at the same time as you! But thank you very much for the welcome :) I'm excited to join! And the revisionist history could work but I think.I'd prefer to be a late entry, for some reason I feel like itd work better for me. Plus since it sounds like I'd be joining at the start of a new story arch it may make more sense for a new face to run into the party.

But thank you again! And thanks.to the DM for their patience with me and getting me setup :D

We're coming up on day 2 of the Omake, which may be a potential jumping on point. The only thing that needs it to get moving is... me. *sigh* But fear not! I finished one post and I can finish another. I put a bunch of stickers on a notebook and everything.

On a side note, there was mention way back of a respec, which I'm still thinking about. Going over my sheet (I made a new copy), I noticed that my skills were also not quite up to par. More of a hindsight thing. In my old days of D&D, I was pretty much the only one actually roleplaying. And as such, many of my skills (man, do I play rogues all the time or what?) had to reflect that, as everybody else was some form of combat class. So I had Bluff and Intimidate and Diplomacy all in one, frequently being the face of the party (assuming Wizard and not Sorcerer). Under the eye of these two (we miss you, Starburst) DMs, it's suddenly much more RP heavy. Like dear Bramble said, 20 pages went with no dice rolled and it was FUN.

Where am I going with this? Oh yeah.

The role of face in the party is divided between Bramble and I. Good cop (Diplomacy) and Bad cop (Bluff), respectively. When that respec comes, I think I'm going to retcon him into being how he is now and how my preconceived notions made him. So, those 4 points. Where am I putting them? Perform: Act or Perform: Sing? A split between both? We'll find out!

considering he's a barbarian, and they're in the frozen north which is ripe with barbarians, I have two possible ways to tie him into the story.

First, he went looking for the heroes who did away with the evil wizard that had been plauging barbarian tribes of the north ... and second, that he's one of the barbarians who had been turned to bandits, enslaved by the wizard, and given the chance to train up in a useful trade in Canterlot.

Archived