Ponies & Dragons

Starburst

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

Okay. I have a question that's been on my mind for some time now.

Let's say I wanted to roll a Unicorn Sorcerer with a fire themed Cutie Mark. As the Great and Powerful Tri- ahem, GM, would you consider allowing the Cutie Mark bonus to not apply to a chosen skill or profession, but rather the Gnome's alternate class feature "Pyromaniac" as found in the Advanced Players Guide? Copied and pasted for your convenience:

Pyromaniac: Gnomes with this racial trait are treated as one level higher when casting spells with the fire descriptor, using granted powers of the Fire domain, using the bloodline powers of the fire elemental bloodline or the revelations of the oracle’s flame mystery, and when determining the damage of alchemist bombs that deal fire damage (this ability does not give gnomes early access to level-based powers, only affecting the powers they could use without this ability). Gnomes with Charisma of 11 or higher also gain the following spell-like abilities: 1/day—dancing lights, flare, prestidigitation, produce flame. The caster level for these effects is equal to the gnome’s level; the DCs are Charisma-based. This racial trait replaces the gnome magic and illusion resistance racial Traits.

You could, naturally, edit things out. Like the SLAs, the mention of various classes, etc.

I'm just curious if something like this would fly.

Okay. I have a question that's been on my mind for some time now.

Let's say I wanted to roll a Unicorn Sorcerer with a fire themed Cutie Mark. As the Great and Powerful Tri- ahem, GM, would you consider allowing the Cutie Mark bonus to not apply to a chosen skill or profession, but rather the Gnome's alternate class feature "Pyromaniac" as found in the Advanced Players Guide? Copied and pasted for your convenience:

Pyromaniac: Gnomes with this racial trait are treated as one level higher when casting spells with the fire descriptor, using granted powers of the Fire domain, using the bloodline powers of the fire elemental bloodline or the revelations of the oracle’s flame mystery, and when determining the damage of alchemist bombs that deal fire damage (this ability does not give gnomes early access to level-based powers, only affecting the powers they could use without this ability). Gnomes with Charisma of 11 or higher also gain the following spell-like abilities: 1/day—dancing lights, flare, prestidigitation, produce flame. The caster level for these effects is equal to the gnome’s level; the DCs are Charisma-based. This racial trait replaces the gnome magic and illusion resistance racial Traits.

You could, naturally, edit things out. Like the SLAs, the mention of various classes, etc.

I'm just curious if something like this would fly.

I'm going to have to say no to that one. Since caster level is a determinant for damage with spells and bombs, increasing the caster level would be too much of a boost for something like skill mastery to grant. ( Essentially Cutie mark emulates the skill mastery feat. )

Hey, Kirby--just want to be absolutely clear that I totally understand where Curtain Call is coming from and why he did what he did, and that a bit of...well, I'm aiming for dramatic tension more than conflict--is all I'm going for with Ironmane's actions. I as the player and not objecting to you or your character whatsoever. In fact, I like having Curtain Call in the party exactly because it will be awesome to see how he and the other characters develop as they interact!

Hey, Kirby--just want to be absolutely clear that I totally understand where Curtain Call is coming from and why he did what he did, and that a bit of...well, I'm aiming for dramatic tension more than conflict--is all I'm going for with Ironmane's actions. I as the player and not objecting to you or your character whatsoever. In fact, I like having Curtain Call in the party exactly because it will be awesome to see how he and the other characters develop as they interact!

Different alignments butting heads is classic storytelling. This will be fun.

there were so many wonders around them...

What is this place filled with so many wonders?

Suspended in the sky is a large Balloon-supported Air-dock...

Awesome. This whole description is awesome--succinct but full of the impressions of the amazing city--but this part is especially coooooooool! Makes me want to start a whole roleplay based around this idea.

Archived