My Little Guardspony: Friendship is Grimdark

TenthSpeedWriter

And not the sad, scary kind of grimdark; the gritty, retro-sci-fi, incurably badflank kind.

2re4myp.jpg

An idea struck me while looking at models the other day for the tabletop strategy game Warhammer 40k. I wanted to make a squad of Rough Riders -- mounted dragoon style cavalry. (Yes, in the 41st millennium. Cavalry in space, shu'up.) Unfortunately, the riders and mounts together were heinously priced; so, I thought...

Who needs Rough Riders, when you have a posse of badflank ponies bringing the friendship and/or fury of the God-Empress? > :D

It turns out, your average pony figure fits just right on a Games Workshop cavalry base. I also happened to have a nauseating amount of hobby paints and 40k bits laying around...

Thus, an abomination of a project was born.

We start with APPLEJACK!

gallery_774_177_78003.jpg

My first endeavor shall be to gird dear Applejack in the wargear of the legendary Cadian infantry. The theme is khaki with olive armor plating.

gallery_774_177_63903.jpg

Here she is dressed in the aforementioned khaki. You may notice that she doesn't have a hat. It didn't occur to me until I had left the store that she didn't come with one, and that makes me unhappy. AJ without a hat is sad AJ in any millennium. :sleep:

gallery_774_177_54475.jpg

AJ after her last coat of khaki and some gentle highlights, along with my trusty hobby knife and some select, primer-coated bits.

gallery_774_177_83123.jpg

And here she is put together. This is her mean side, you see.

gallery_774_177_99997.jpg

And, of course, her "soft" side. Soft being a relative term.

http://www.canterlot.com/uploads/gallery/album_177/gallery_774_177_83062.jpg

Ta-da!

Now with camo markings and a chainsword.

She just needs her hair done and a cutie mark stand-in.