sprite editing help?

Starfox64x

Hello, i was hoping to get some help with pixel art. see, i wanted to edit one of these sprites that they have in the Desktop Pony thing (like the one of Big mac as my current avatar) into my OC pony... however i've tried it two different ways, and both of them seem to ruin the sprites once they're finished... i dont know why, but it just doesnt seem to by working properly for me... so i was wondering if anyone could help me tinker with it.

Well, if you ever need help, I can do something for you! After all, check this!

alt-walk-left.gif

(looks better when it's moving)

What methods are you using, out of curiosity?

Well, i tried using Gimp (Photoshop clone) to just select a color and recolor it, but actually drawing out the pixels didnt seeme to work out... then i tried shifting between that and Paint, redoing each frame individually with each pixel, but when i put them back into Gimp the colors were whacked out, and it didnt look right...

Paint selection tool. Pick a color with tolerance set to 0 for one layer. Go to the top bar, to the section that says "Color..." Go to Hue/Saturation, change the color as needed. Don't even bother with Paint. How's that for a first shot?

Alternatively, if you're having trouble matching the pixel size, go to Image, set the colors from RGB to Indexed, scale the image down to 1/2 size, make it RGB again, and edit it with a one-pixel pencil tool.

There's a few things to try, for starters!